Your Favorite Hang Out In The Los

tigerfish

i will leave it totally up to you to discuss your favorite place in which you like to hang out, after all everyones different. lifestyles and interests vary and the places in which we live or stay dictate what we get up to from day to day out here in the LOS. but theres usually a place that most like to go to the spend our free time, watch the world go by, relax or let our hair down. be it anywhere from a bar/ pub to a coffee shop, a favorite place to eat. maybe somewhere you go to get away from it all like the local golf course, the nearest place to go fishing or even the beach. you may even go so far as to say the taxi rank at the end of your soi where you play dominoes and drink sang -som in the afternoons with drivers of the cabs, whatever.

so what place floats your boats and makes you glad you choose a life here ?

Edited by tigerfish

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I find it hard to 'hang' in Thailand - if I've nothing to do, I always get led astray....

SC

Shame that David Carradine isn't around no more, he could have given you some pointers. :ph34r:

I'd rather be led astray when I was hanging than hanged when I was led astray

SC

• Like 1

To be honest, I find it hard to 'hang' in Thailand - if I've nothing to do, I always get led astray....

SC

Shame that David Carradine isn't around no more, he could have given you some pointers. :ph34r:

just spat orange juice all over my laptop! still dripping out of my nose now! :lol:

I do like to hang at the Golden Beer Bar on Soi4 beer is reasonable, across the street from Nana Plaza, and you get to see it all.

All what. :crazy:

All of Nana Car Park - probably the best car park in Thailand. :ph34r:

Oh. :unsure:

I thought you were into cars?

SC

My garden - peace, serenity, fun, company and "eye candy". What more could I want?

You see eye candy in your garden?! Oh, you're talking about the birds that come and go.

Best places to hang out:

Paragon food hall in evenings....for the scenery

J-avenue anytime....for the scenery

Anywhere around Nana in the daytime....for the monstrosities

Best places to hang out? Depends what I'm planning to do.

Beach: Surin Beach, Phuket. During the low season when the surfs up and the suns out.

Scuba Diving: Phi Phi Islands during the high season.

Swimming pool: On top of Mikes Shopping Mall, Beach Road, Pattaya.

Flesh ogling: Shark, Tilac, Happy (Pattaya),

Take a bird for a drink: Sirroco

Jogging/long walk: Patong Beach at low tide.

Music/booze/pussy: Spasso's

It is not very original, but I like vacationing in Pattaya.

I love hanging out by the beach, but much prefer to swim in a pool - so that is a plus - and many of the full service hotels and decent restaurants there are reasonable to very inexpensive.

There is lots of fun stuff to do and lots of interesting shops and such, so that I never get bored.

Last, but not least, there is lots of eye candy hanging about - in case one is in the mood - and despite what a lot of Thai Visa posters say, there are plenty of pleasant, helpful Thais around that are not looking for a handout. I just spent a few weeks there and spent almost nothing and had a very enjoyable time.

Not a bad choice, Ulysses. I have a lot of friends who hang out there because of all the amenities... even if you DISCOUNT the many ladies. Dollar wise it's probably the best deal in Thailand. Because there is so much available accommodation the prices are reasonable. There are thousands of choices from $5 a night flop houses to $1000 a night, 5 star hotels. Although the beach in front of town leaves a bit to be desired, there is always the lovely beaches on Koh Larn island. Cafes and restaurants are too numerous to mention. And, I've found the shopping for clothing and such to be the best in Thailand. There's not much that isn't available.

I've got a bunch of friends who wrap their life around golf, and Pattaya has at least 30 great courses within a day trip. Day Rates are better than most other golf courses in the world.

And, if the night life IS what floats your boat then there aren't many better locations in the world.

But, for me I like variety. I spend a week or so with my friends in Pattaya, a week or two somewhere on the Andaman Sea, a week in Kanchanaburi, a few weeks fishing the various reservoirs in northern Thailand, and another week on the mountain rivers along the Burma border. That leaves the remainder of my time hanging out with friends in Chiang Mai.

I do like to hang at the Golden Beer Bar on Soi4 beer is reasonable, across the street from Nana Plaza, and you get to see it all.

All what. :crazy:

All of Nana Car Park - probably the best car park in Thailand. :ph34r:

The view of the car park is better from Big Dogs, in Golden, if you don't get a seat in the top corner you can't see the car park at all, quite depressing, just stuck with a view of the entrance to the plaza, how much fun is that? :whistling:

Don't really hang out anywhere. I do usually take one night on the town either on the first night in country or last night out. Several years ago, first time ever in country and first night out ever in Bkk, I found myself at the corner pool bar in Soi Cowboy. Got to know the mamasan and some of the girls over the years. If I'm out and about in Bkk, it's usually there throwing back a few Heinies, playing some pool and treating the girls to some dinner from the restaurant nearby that delivers the whole works ... food, plates, utensils and all.

Camping in Andaman Natl Marine Parks. I live in the parks in the cool season and my girlfriend comes down ten days every month by coupling two weekends with a Thai holiday (or two) in between. That way, she gets 11 days and only takes two-three off from work.

Camping is a great get away, the place we favor is pretty packed out but the daily snorkeling makes it all worthwhile. The other parks are lovely and great for a romantic get away, but we love the coral and fish. Won't be there forever!

Nat'l Marine parks cost anywhere from free to B80 per night for foreigners. Most have good Thai canteen (far better than backpacker crap food) and the grubby backpacker factor is low. In fact, many marine parks in the highest part of the season many parks have scant visitors as people go to dumps like Samui, Lipe and Lanta. Well I hope they continue with that!

Sadly, I have found BKK confining, not met any people to hang out with. Not interested in go-go bars and such (my gf would not be pleased and I am bored with that scene anyway) Find the places gritty and polluted (air). Not really anything to do - Really bored.

Would like to find somewhere to have a drink during happy hours or a nice park in the day (above Sukhumvhit on MRT line).

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 2

Camping in Andaman Natl Marine Parks. I live in the parks in the cool season and my girlfriend comes down ten days every month by coupling two weekends with a Thai holiday (or two) in between. That way, she gets 11 days and only takes two-three off from work.

Camping is a great get away, the place we favor is pretty packed out but the daily snorkeling makes it all worthwhile. The other parks are lovely and great for a romantic get away, but we love the coral and fish. Won't be there forever!

Nat'l Marine parks cost anywhere from free to B80 per night for foreigners. Most have good Thai canteen (far better than backpacker crap food) and the grubby backpacker factor is low. In fact, many marine parks in the highest part of the season many parks have scant visitors as people go to dumps like Samui, Lipe and Lanta. Well I hope they continue with that!

Sorry for you if you don't go anywhere or best you can come up with is Pattaya. Urban, dirty, crime ridden.

Spee: hang out in a bar for your holiday...what a thrill.

I suppose it depends a little bit on whether you like to interact with people. I've often found that the urban environment is a great place to meet people.

Its not so hot for scenery and the like, but luckily people send me postcards...

On the subject of scenery - I went to the Grand Canyon once; what a wasted journey - it was just like on the post cards.

SC

I was just thinking about this from a different perspective - I have often enjoyed living in apartments with great views - but it was not the scenery that made the view great, it was the distance.

Ranking them in increasing order of enjoyment, I think my top three would be:

- Container yards and distant city sky-line

- Suburban house rooves, trees and distant oil refineries

- sporting facility, passenger transport interchange and distant mountains

To be honest, the mountains were the most boring - they really didn't change at all - though there was a hill fire on the far side, once. The flare stacks on the oil refineries were very pretty...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Great suggestion, Bangkokburning. Enjoy it while it lasts. Unfortunately, it's likely to go the way Koh Chang went. I love the Similan Islands and might have lost my life there had it not been for an e-mail from my daughter in December 2004. I went back to Canada just before Christmas and missed the tsunami. I lost my friends in Kao Lak.

On the subject of scenery - I went to the Grand Canyon once; what a wasted journey - it was just like on the post cards.

SC

You should have taken the donkey ride down to the river below. And, hiked in the canyons. You get a better feel of it that way. Just LOOKING at scenery is usually a bore.

SC

You should have taken the donkey ride down to the river below. And, hiked in the canyons. You get a better feel of it that way. Just LOOKING at scenery is usually a bore.

True enough. The high point of the visit was seeing young Americans being emotional and visibly moved. And I got a great photo of the fellow I was travelling with looking like an out-of-focus lost soul - which he was - not lost as in unrecoverable but lost as in wandering - thinking back, we travelled together for a week or so, and I'm not sure if I ever knew his name - I must've done, but I have no recollection of it.

When we used to go drinking, he would always go first, because he looked younger, but was in fact substantially over 21, so the doormen felt embarassed after he showed his passport and never asked me for ID. He was a time-served stonemason, which is also completely irrelevant....

Anyway, that's my Grand Canyon story. I've lost the photo, which is just as well, since it would be meaningless to anyone else, and I can recollect it quite adequately without seeing it again

The flare stacks were never boring. Sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller, sometimes a little smokey, blowing in the wind like a candle. The race track view was great on a Wednesday night, with the two colours of taxis lined up, and the green and red minibuses. We couldn't see the horse-racing clearly enough to really enjoy it, but luckily I just had to turn my head to see it on TV - even the big screen at the ground was too far away to make out.

I went and hung (not literally) by a river on Sunday afternoon, and got a bit of sunburn, which was nice, but it was too long a drive to be a favourite place for hanging.

In Edinburgh, I think they used to hang people in the High Street just up from the Tron Kirk, but that was before my time. Others more knowledgable than me will confirm this, but I think the Heart of Midlothian is at about the spot. Seemed like a good spot to hang, very convenient for all the tourist attractions, and there's always something going on

On another thread, we discussed a pub in London which would be convenient to stop off for a last 'one for the road' if you were going to hang. I'm not sure what the preferred capital punishment is in Thailand...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Spee: hang out in a bar for your holiday...what a thrill.

Well exxxxcuuuuuuuse me. I consider the 99% of my in-country time spent with my partner and her daughter whom I see a scant few times a year to be quality family time regardless of where we are, not "hanging out." Quit being so (expletive omitted) judgmental and get a life.