Thai Bank Bills 3-Year-Old Boy Bt2 Million

webfact

Bank Bills 3-Year-Old Bt2 Million - by Mistake

PHITSANULOK: The Government Savings Bank has announced that the two million baht worth of debt bill sent to a three-year-old boy in Phitsanulok province was a mistake made by bank officials who did not double check the information.

After receiving documents from the Bang Buathong branch, the Phitsanulok branch of the Government Savings Bank sent a debt bill of more than 2.5 million baht to Nopsin Boonkerd, a three-year-old boy in Phitsanulok's Muang district.

The boy's family was shocked upon receiving the bill and Nopsin's mother Suriya Plianprapai contacted police and insisted the family does not owe two million baht to the bank.

She believes conmen may have used her son's name and forged documents to obtain the bank loan like many other cases recently reported in the news.

Suriya disclosed that the Government Savings Bank has notified her family of the mistake made by bank officials who did not double check all the necessary information.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-09-29

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

the bank should compensate the family for the ordeal that they suffered.

They did, by dropping the debt.

That they dropped the debt has nothing to do with compensating the family

for the stress and fear caused by the banks own mistake.

Of course they dropped the debt, because no 3 year old boy could

EVER have signed for that, and so if they persisted they would finally

get hurt worse in the end, because the family went public in their panic.

But that has nothing to do with the way that the family was spun about, and yoyo'd around.

And don't imagine that the average Thai doesn't get very scared if a big Thai bank

suddenly says you owe them lots of money.

But that has nothing to do with the way that the family was spun about, and yoyo'd around.

And don't imagine that the average Thai doesn't get very scared if a big Thai bank

Your western ideals are very admirable and I do agree, however as we are not in a western country they hold little water.

The question is, what IF the mother's statement of conmen using the kid's identity is real? Where is the 2.5 mb? And how many other cases are like this one? The only reason this one was cleared was because they happened to bill a kid. What about others?

What if the mother IS the conman...

She used her sons' name knowing the bank would never actually try to collect from a 3-year old.

She heard about other similar cases and figured out she could pull a fast one herself.

• Like 1

Does the child have a farang name? That would make a more believable cock up story, along with a signature loan with no collateral against same. I have heard of credit cards in dogs name, children, etc but this is another first for the Thai banks, then again maybe not.

The question is, what IF the mother's statement of conmen using the kid's identity is real? Where is the 2.5 mb? And how many other cases are like this one? The only reason this one was cleared was because they happened to bill a kid. What about others?

She used her sons' name knowing the bank would never actually try to collect from a 3-year old.

She heard about other similar cases and figured out she could pull a fast one herself.

oh come on!

Probably not her but I'd bet it's someone close to the family, maybe the con-men bough her son's birth certificate and such from her.

Then again could be just a corrupt city hall official or disgruntled bank clerk who took part in the con.

And that's as far as it ever should go.

All these greedy so-and-so's that want 'compensation for suffering ...' when there is just an error by someone in accounting, no physical or commercial damage.why should there be any compensation. Let's not have the American penchant for litigation over nonsense creep into the rest of the world.

Thank goodness the UK government is discussing the banning of 'no win, no fee' lawyers charges, thus eliminating unnecessary court appearances on this type of silly goings-on.

Its those sort of ideas that has virtually ruined the western world. Anyone with any single iota of intelligence would of known it was a cockup on the banks behalf. People make mistakes. In 'other' parts of the world we've got people sueing each other and demanding compensation over some of the most stupid reasons. Burgular breaks into home and injures himself & the files an action against the home owner for compensation :bah: .

I got a water bill from the moobaan with a couple of extra 0's on it. Realising what they were suggesting bascially wasn't possible I went down to the office and everyone there had a bit of a laugh about it. Are you suggesting I should be compensated. I think you've made a mistake when posting, I never disagree with what you have to say......please forward compensation for your error to my savings account ;):lol:

• Like 2

Its those sort of ideas that has virtually ruined the western world. Anyone with any single iota of intelligence would of known it was a cockup on the banks behalf. People make mistakes. In 'other' parts of the world we've got people sueing each other and demanding compensation over some of the most stupid reasons. Burgular breaks into home and injures himself & the files an action against the home owner for compensation :bah: .

I got a water bill from the moobaan with a couple of extra 0's on it. Realising what they were suggesting bascially wasn't possible I went down to the office and everyone there had a bit of a laugh about it. Are you suggesting I should be compensated. I think you've made a mistake when posting, I never disagree with what you have to say......please forward compensation for your error to my savings account ;):lol:

Exactly! Just a simple clerical error or an identity theft. Can hardly ask for a bank handout for that other than a taxi fare or a few phone calls. Blame the banks for the huge bonuses they pay themselves not their silly cockups!

r u for real??? they went to the police and the drama was over in no time. what do they need a compensation for??? people r such wimps these days. it's unbelievable!!!

I'm afraid I must agree with animatic on this one. If this had happened to the average foreigner, he/she would have blown a fuse and played hel_l with the bank. The bank would then have checked into the matter and everything would be cleared up. BUT the average foreigner is not the average Thai. The average Thai would shit him/herself upon getting this demand with all kinds of wondeferful nightmares running through their minds.

Haven't any of you read about the horror stories of Thai banks misplacing customers' money and refusing to reimburse the customers until cases are brought before the court. It is common and disgusting.

I'm afraid I must agree with animatic on this one. If this had happened to the average foreigner, he/she would have blown a fuse and played hel_l with the bank. The bank would then have checked into the matter and everything would be cleared up. BUT the average foreigner is not the average Thai. The average Thai would shit him/herself upon getting this demand with all kinds of wondeferful nightmares running through their minds.

Haven't any of you read about the horror stories of Thai banks misplacing customers' money and refusing to reimburse the customers until cases are brought before the court. It is common and disgusting.

Yeah! I read about those incidences. It seems that there are no governing agencies to hold accountable the people who hold us accountable.

The USA has the FDIC, but what does Thailand have. I don't know the answer to this, and I am sure I would not trust this body were it even in evidence or brought to my attention. The best bank could very well be a mayonaise jar buried under the palm tree.

Just reconfirmed my policy of never trusting banks, anywhere. They do make mistakes.

Only recently my son deposited 12,000Baht cash but the machine printed 20,000Baht into his bankbook. He pointed out their error instantly. No apology, just annoyance at being caught out.

i think it's hilarious how people WANT thailand to come up into 2nd world status. they come here to get AWAY from the western world, yet they want western comforts and complain when they don't get western standards. ask and ye shall receive. it's coming and coming fast.

• Like 1

Detective Colombo, you're on the wrong turn....:jap:

i think it's hilarious how people WANT thailand to come up into 2nd world status. they come here to get AWAY from the western world, yet they want western comforts and complain when they don't get western standards. ask and ye shall receive. it's coming and coming fast.

You are right you know.

• Like 1

You are right you know.

Yup, crying shame

bravo spoonman! this is exactly what the judge told me in return for my compensation claim for

1. endangering my life, knowingly and for extended perion

2. endangering my property, knowingly and for extended period

3. knowingly and ruthlessly disregarding existing thai laws about safety and fire protection

4. nullifying paid insurance policy by wilful misdeeds

the reasoning,- this is thailand... and nothing has happened

In your lifetime (unless you're actually only 3) how many times do you recall not paying the right amount for a service you have been provided, intentionally or not. Be honest with yourself. Do you feel these people have the right to sue you over these anomalies? The monetary figure matters not, the fact is someone was light changed because of an error in the transaction. Does this person now have the right to sue you for what was a genuine mistake?

I think you need to take the comment "They did, by dropping the debt" purely as tongue in cheek.

Bring some reality back to this world

Howard