Dukes Restaurant

uptheos

The negative or positive posts should be for content but too often are used to attack the poster.

Would that be why you give me reds every single day, no matter how harmless the post?

0060-0808-2503-2309_Two_Faced_Man_Clip_Art_clipart_image.jpg

I have not been giving you red marks every day. As I said, I and most posters mark the message not the poster.

I have given you a red for this post as it is not only inaccurate but doing what you do best - inciting other posters.

The contributions I and others were making ( whether you agreed or not ) to the closing business thread was only rescued when sbk issued a warning.

I don't complain about the reds I seem to be accumulating - I wonder from whom - as my pms seem to suggest my posts are worth reading whether my opinion is accepted or not.

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting thread.

As a member here, I am going to express a thought, or a couple.

I have said it before and I am going to say it again. As far as CM restaurants go, The Duke's is not the fanciest , The Duke's is not the least nor most expensive,The Duke's may not be the best located of restaurants in our area. What it is is simply the BEST all around restaurant in CM. PERIOD, full stop.

So much so that I am now going to order a pizza from them.

Now for the other thought, and this is directed towards the/those BS'ing red dot pushers who write one thing and do something else. It may be too philosophical for them to understand but I have to say it....... " Cream is not the only thing that rises to the top"

Now Dukes's I am going to place my order.

Gonzo has spoken

:licklips:

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

Just as a follow up......

I have now ordered a large pizza and a full rack of ribs.

...... and alllllll you cheap charlies out ther...... I didn't even mention the discount.

HA

I will however provide my own beer, which will be the first one in about a year.

Bon Apetite , y'all

Gonzo

Dear Gonzo Has Spoke:

At Duke's with pizza, you have a choice of sizes at 10% off for members for carry out. Do not be fooled by other posters on this thread who have contributed misleading information. For example, I posted a price (after the 10% discount), I gave a price for a large. Other posters compared another outfit, one I believe associated with the Wawee Corporation - maybe not, but if so a chain pizza and not built by an independent restaurant owner - and these chaps claimed half price, with no 10% off. Alas, they spoke of a smaller size and a lighter per sq. unit product. These is heavy dudes.

I am asked not to speak of taste. Or to compare quality. But I can urge you to order (if you are carrying-out, with with 10% discount to stay on topic) with care. They are loaded! Well, no, not Loaded, but ...

That is, they do not float like cream, cannot for the weight of deliciousity, but should for the quality and weight on top of the crust.

Oops, I see you've already ordered. Hope it's a party.

Edited by CMX

...... and alllllll you cheap charlies out ther...... I didn't even mention the discount.

also paid to have it delivered through MOW and tipped the driver :D

Edited by buzzer101

also paid to have it delivered through MOW and tipped the driver :D

Pheew, I bet that's a relief for Mr Duke - with nearly 2,000 hits this thread must really be hurting him. rolleyes.gif

I would have thought a philanthropist such as yourself, could have taken the hefty discount and popped it into the staff's tip box.

Nothing embarrassing about that. wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Yeah, but if you order 450 baht pizza listed on a menu, it's going to cost probably 450-10%+7%(scam added tax). Why would you do that when all other restaurants already have the tax included in prices? Other than trying to scam some poor guy (like me) who didn't notice the added 7% for a long time. Just add the 7% to the prices in the menu so listed 450 baht pizza will cost you 450 baht like it should.

Yeah, but if you order 450 baht pizza listed on a menu, it's going to cost probably 450-10%+7%(scam added tax). Why would you do that when all other restaurants already have the tax included in prices? Other than trying to scam some poor guy (like me) who didn't notice the added 7% for a long time. Just add the 7% to the prices in the menu so listed 450 baht pizza will cost you 450 baht like it should.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no scam added tax. The Thai government has a Value Added Tax that The Duke's has nothing to do with except that they ask us to collect it from you and pass it on to them. The scam is the guys that don't pay their taxes. Some poor little guy like you should learn how to read the menu or your bill.

Yeah, but if you order 450 baht pizza listed on a menu, it's going to cost probably 450-10%+7%(scam added tax). Why would you do that when all other restaurants already have the tax included in prices? Other than  trying to scam some poor guy (like me) who didn't notice the added 7% for a long time. Just add the 7% to the prices in the menu so  listed 450 baht pizza will cost you 450 baht like it should.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no scam added tax. The Thai government has a Value Added Tax that The Duke's has nothing to do with except that they ask us to collect it from you and pass it on to them. The scam is the guys that don't pay their taxes. Some poor little guy like you should learn how to read the menu or your bill.

In America it may be the norm to add tax on after. In Britain, the norm is to include the tax in the price advertised. Not including the tax in the advertised price is quite an annoyance for myself, and I imagine many other Brits.

You have two choice - go the way you do, and irritate quite a few of your non-American customers (not sure how other nations normally do this), or you could have a menu that includes VAT in the prices and irritate nobody.

Call me dim-witted (queue at Three Kings this midnight), but someone posted that there is no 7% tax on carry out. I don't know, but if it is true, then a bill for a take-away dinner item during October should NOT show the 7% added to the menu price. In fact, that would be a saving every time I take food out. (Generally, I'd rather eat at a restaurant, to tell the truth.)

But then the bill should should show the 10% take from the menu price.

Never mind the delivery fee - if the premise of the comment above is correct (I forgot to check my October take-away bill), I'm saving more than I though by shopping at Rimping (love that iron bridge) while waiting for take-out chow. But I'm not sure about this and raise it only as a question to add to the quibblers' excitement.

As for not including the tax in the price, it is an American method all right (we have the lightest taxes among economically advanced nations, but pretend they are all onerous and complain of them as a religious ritual), but you should experience it in Canada where federal and provincial taxes are added on top to total 15% or so, depending upon province.

But anyway, it might be that take-away will make me happier than I thought, should I find an advantage in eating out, at home. Also it is a suggestion to those Frugal Fellows out there.

Edited by CMX

In America it may be the norm to add tax on after. In Britain, the norm is to include the tax in the price advertised. Not including the tax in the advertised price is quite an annoyance for myself, and I imagine many other Brits.

You have two choice - go the way you do, and irritate quite a few of your non-American customers (not sure how other nations normally do this), or you could have a menu that includes VAT in the prices and irritate nobody.

I didn't know that sales tax/VAT was not added on to the bill in Britain. I guess I know how you feel because I get irritated when someone gets irritated that it is added on.

Edited by getgoin

Call me dim-witted (queue at Three Kings this midnight), but someone posted that there is no 7% tax on carry out.  I don't know, but if it is true, then a bill for a take-away dinner item during October should NOT show the 7% added to the menu price.  In fact, that would be a saving every time I take food out.  (Generally, I'd rather eat at a restaurant, to tell the truth.)

I seem to remember that someone said in the UK there's no tax on carry out (or there wasn't 10-12 years ago), and that perhaps it was the same here. This led to people believing as fact there is no tax on carry out here.

It's puzzling.

The thread was started merely to impart information, that Dukes had decided to act upon a suggestion from a previous thread and they are going to give 10% discount on carry out food at least during the month of October.

Regardless if their prices are high, add sales tax, VAT or any other blinking tax, the fact is they took up the idea and they have offered a 10% discount from their regular price...surely this is positive.

Why so much hostility towards Dukes for doing this........jealousy, anger......lack of business?

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Anyone who has been in Thailand for any length of time, will always check the bill regardless of where they eat, for extra things added, mistakes made adding the bill up etc.

Not to do so, is quite honestly........silly.

I know it is not a scam, but I never liked being openly charged for VAT. Are you the only restaurant who charges this tax (openly) to customers?

It's puzzling.

The thread was started merely to impart information, that Dukes had decided to act upon a suggestion from a previous thread and they are going to give 10% discount on carry out food at least during the month of October.

Regardless if their prices are high, add sales tax, VAT or any other blinking tax, the fact is they took up the idea and they have offered a 10% discount from their regular price...surely this is positive.

Why so much hostility towards Dukes for doing this........jealousy, anger......lack of business?

I find it puzzling too. I don't think there is hostility to Dukes. It is his business and all credit to him for offering discounts. If people think a pizza price is high so be it. They are entitled to their opinion but not entitled to be flamed.

I think there are a few on this thread who are causing waves and enjoying the hostility they are trying to create. The manipulation of the voting should be questioned. The negative on your post 22 for example was I believe attributed to me !!!

It is also puzzling that a poster can make a negative post on the forum ( for effect, to incite...I don't know ) but be quite positive in a pm.

In my view, there is nothing negative in offering a discount. It is a business decision taken by the owner and has the potential of benefitting him and his customers. The thread has attracted a lot of hits anyway which is another plus.

We all know who the trouble makers are.

A member now banned told me he only posted to wind people up and it did help his business to keep his name in lights. No problem in that I suppose, but not a very positiive approach.

• Like 1

I know it is not a scam, but I never liked being openly charged for VAT. Are you the only restaurant who charges this tax (openly) to customers?

The big hotel chains do it. It is annoying that they don't just put the total price on the menu and bill but I agree with Uptheos in the post prior to yours this is Thailand and you need to be careful. Some menus are clear about it, some put it in small ptrint at the back where you would not look for it. Other countries do it as well of course.

Posts have been deleted, personal attacks are not allowed, and in fact attacks on a sponsor are not allowed.

Keep it civil and if you can't discuss this in an adult manner you will find your post deleted and yourself warned.

• Like 2

It's puzzling.

I find it puzzling too. I don't think there is hostility to Dukes. It is his business and all credit to him for offering discounts. If people think a pizza price is high so be it. They are entitled to their opinion but not entitled to be flamed.

I think there are a few on this thread who are causing waves and enjoying the hostility they are trying to create. The manipulation of the voting should be questioned. The negative on your post 22 for example was I believe attributed to me !!!

It is also puzzling that a poster can make a negative post on the forum ( for effect, to incite...I don't know ) but be quite positive in a pm.

In my view, there is nothing negative in offering a discount. It is a business decision taken by the owner and has the potential of benefitting him and his customers. The thread has attracted a lot of hits anyway which is another plus.

We all know who the trouble makers are.

A member now banned told me he only posted to wind people up and it did help his business to keep his name in lights. No problem in that I suppose, but not a very positiive approach.

Personally, I think that the voting is a load of rubbish and like all voting of this type it's a control and bit like handing out candies to the best school kid.

It's something George Orwell would have had a field day with.

• Like 1

......but back to Dukes, isn't it good if they or anyone else reduce their prices.... whoever / whatever they are?

My guess is that those who are so against Dukes giving a discount, are probably struggling business owners or their friends.

If Dukes find this successful, I'd be the first to say 'full steam ahead' now make it 15% and grab the market wink.gif

A number of places do it and often with a service charge as well. Fuji Japanese restaurant is just one that springs to mind.

A number of places do it and often with a service charge as well. Fuji Japanese restaurant is just one that springs to mind.

My hole in the wall lady tried to do it, but she kept leaving her calculator at home and couldn't work out 7% of 35 Baht.....she found out it was taking up too much time, so dropped it wink.gif

I'm not sure if Georgio's charges it as a separate charge or not. They do charge 10% service charge. The Duke's used to charge a 10% service charge in The Night Bazaar but took it off. All the hotels add 7+10. Buonissimo charges me 7% on top of purchases so I'm just guessing that they charge it on top. I'm sure there are other places that add it on, particularly in Bangkok.

The fact of the matter is that this tax has nothing to do with The Duke's. If you don't like it then send a letter to the Prime Minister. We are simply collecting it for the government. 100% of what we pass along to the customer goes to the government.

The problem is that while they might not have this charge in Britain and some other countries in the USA it is added on top and parts of Thailand some include it in the price and some add it on. Since you are living in a different culture there are many things that take adapting to. It seems overly simple that if the tax is not included in the price then to do the 7% math would also be very simple. Anyone who would be annoyed with this should really take a good look at the world and why would you even worry about something like this and why would you take the time to bitch about it?

I'm not sure if Georgio's charges it as a separate charge or not. They do charge 10% service charge. The Duke's used to charge a 10% service charge in The Night Bazaar but took it off. All the hotels add 7+10. Buonissimo charges me 7% on top of purchases so I'm just guessing that they charge it on top. I'm sure there are other places that add it on, particularly in Bangkok.

The fact of the matter is that this tax has nothing to do with The Duke's. If you don't like it then send a letter to the Prime Minister. We are simply collecting it for the government. 100% of what we pass along to the customer goes to the government.

The problem is that while they might not have this charge in Britain and some other countries in the USA it is added on top and parts of Thailand some include it in the price and some add it on. Since you are living in a different culture there are many things that take adapting to. It seems overly simple that if the tax is not included in the price then to do the 7% math would also be very simple. Anyone who would be annoyed with this should really take a good look at the world and why would you even worry about something like this and why would you take the time to bitch about it?

Thanks for your answer :)

Anyone who would be annoyed with this should really take a good look at the world and why would you even worry about something like this and why would you take the time to bitch about it?

I took the time because every place I go, takes the VAT from customer profits, not directly from the customer. Maybe you need to think about that more, as well as not saying the above :ermm:

• Like 2

Just to add my seven cents worth... I also dislike the adding of 7% tax to the bill. Although The Dukes isn't being dishonest because this fact is made clear on the menu I don't see it as entirely honest and up-front either. Lets face it, when you are reading the menu and see something priced at for example 300 Baht, it would be reasonable to expect that that is the actual cost TO ME. Why else do people look at prices on a menu other than to see WHAT THINGS COST (to them).

I eat at The Dukes from time to time, but this pricing policy doesn't sit well with me (although the delicious food does - that's why I still go). Why not just be clear and up-front and include this tax in the stated costs (like most other places in Chiang Mai do)? I DON'T CARE what portion of my bill goes to The Dukes and what portion is tax - it's just not my problem and i don't want to be involved in calculating 7% of everything (if I could be bothered) when I am simply going out for dinner!

To follow the argument that this 7% is someone elses money to its logical conclusion why not make all of the menu prices really cheap and then add a percentage for rent, more for staff, another for depreciation on capital investment (equipment), etc? That way you could make the menu prices APPEAR REALLY LOW and so long as you stated all of these "add-ons" it would of course be honest. But would it be really up-front and fair? :blink:

• Like 2

Not adding vat and service charge to the menu price is a marketing trick used all over the world to make the menu price look cheaper. I agree there is nothing illegal or wrong in it but is is annoying.

The point that the vat is due to the government and not the owner is irrelevant; the points raised relate to how transparent the pricing is. To suggest writing to Abhisit is a bit rich.

• Like 1

Having lived in Europe and purchased many items for the home here in Thailand, I far prefer the "all in pricing." I observe that some airlines vary in this procedure and am greatly annoyed to see airport fees added in only at the last moment (not Airasia).

But I want to underline again that we are really finding ourselves at a cultural clash point rather than anything else. This is no "trick." It is behavior born of lands of birth. I find the idea of adding things to the price (airport fees) a great nuisance, but look before I leap. Same with other prices. "All in?"

A. The U.S. and Canada show taxes separately, and are not included in the posted price because their states/provinces differ in what is only a regional "sales" tax. In the U.S., some states have none. Federal government has no national excise tax to include, so far. Canada has both. While I doubt these N. Americans make up a great percentage of anglophiles here in Thailand (perhaps 350 million on their side of the planet), we are probably, here, as numerous as other annoyances (depends on one's mind-set).

B. Add to that, the extreme mania against taxes that make up one central theme in 1/2 of the political horizon in the U.S. and you find businesses wanting to display them. (See! See what the government is taking?") But it is also, so far as I know, a legal requirement and those of us who've experienced it are accustomed to the bother. We have grown up with it, and it is not at all unusual in Thailand. For example, one can buy a new motorcycle from some manufacturers and find 7% added on beyond the advertised price (don't ask, as I find no fault in the practice - it's their option and mine to consider).

C. But the main issue is that Thai law does not speak. For this reason, nobody should take umbrage and everyone should be keen. If living in a foreign country is not about adapting and learning new things, what else is there?:whistling:

PS Just had a delicious plate of broad noodles and vegetables in air a nice setting and paid 30 baht. I like Duke's too. And with 10% off, why! That's 10% off!

Edited by CMX