Security Increased In Bangkok

george

Security increased in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok’s police chief yesterday conducted an inspection tour of the capital to ensure heightened security measures had been implemented in the wake of the latest terrorist attacks in London.

“Bangkok remains calm and peaceful, although residents should stay alert in order to assist police in thwarting any terrorist threat,” Metropolitan Police commissioner Lt-General Pansiri Prapawat said.

Pansiri said 1,122 public places and key installations, including the British Embassy, had been placed under a security alert.

Eighty-eight installations, comprising public-transport networks, energy-storage facilities and foreign-representative offices, are considered high security risks and have received the highest level security, he said.

Another 43 locations, including government buildings and crowded public places, have been designated medium security risks and appropriate protective measures have been put in place, he said.

Pansiri said routine security checks, including police patrols, were being conducted at a further 991 locations.

As a precaution, increased security surveillance on underground-train services has been introduced, he added.

Random security checks on vehicles will also be conducted after 11pm, he said.

The commissioner has encouraged people travelling on public-transport systems to use their mobile phones to take pictures of suspicious people and unattended parcels before notifying police.

In a related development, the Thai Embassy in London has issued a warning to 10,000 Thai students and expatriates living in England to stay alert when travelling and avoid crowd places as a precaution against terrorist attacks.

The embassy deemed it necessary for Thais to increase their vigilance in light of Thursday’s bombings in London public-transport networks, the second attack in a fortnight, said Kiartikun Chatprasert, a Foreign Ministry spokesman.

Although the United Kingdom is in the middle of school holidays, many Thai students have chosen to stay in its capital or go sightseeing around the country, he noted.

Thai visitors should keep away from potential terrorist targets, such as underground train stations and shopping malls, he said.

--The Nation 2005-07-23

Update:

Security at embassies, offices and entertainment venues tightened

BANGKOK: -- Police have stepped up security at the Bangkok embassies of Egypt, the United States and Britain after al-Qaeda linked suicide car bombers attacked Egypt’s Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh yesterday, killing at least 88 people, including a number of foreign tourists.

The police presence at the Egyptian mission has been increased; steel barricades erected; and parking banned in the area. Thorough searches are also being made of people entering the embassy, especially those of Middle East origin.

It is a similar picture at both the embassies of the Britain and the United States.

Security measures at entertainment venues and government offices have also been tightened, while police have been told to be on alert round-the-clock.

--TNA 2005-07-24

Do you have the list? What about places with adult venues like Nana Plaza?

nana, soi cowboy and patpong area are left unprotected as possible "honey pot" for terrorists for "recreational" purposes.

Sales of "shish - kebab" and "shawerma" are increased by 15% since last month at the nana area too.

complete list of places is available at Ministry Of Defence and Security on demand. or soon - on TVisa

:o Yeah right, mate; let's also PUBLISH such a list, so that these terrorist chaps know where NOT to go . . . . . .

In my opinion, the least is "published" about security arrangements put into place, the more "secure" these places will be.

I would also like to hear that increased security disciplines are put into force at ALL places of entry into this Kingdom, because, let's face it: this is where they're likely to enter this Kingdom ! :D

nana, soi cowboy and patpong area are left unprotected as possible "honey pot" for terrorists for "recreational" purposes.

Sales of "shish - kebab" and "shawerma" are increased by 15% since last month at the nana area too.

complete list of places is available at Ministry Of Defence and Security on demand. or soon - on TVisa

Wish they would issue gun permits to those who know how to use them, then the terrorists would say "we would attack the westerners in Bangkok but they are all armed” :o

Thus and true, corrupt politicians inspire assassins. Of course they don't want people to have guns. Politicians never trust the people to whom they give reason to shoot them.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." GW :D

As I see it I have two ideas to deal with the terrorists. First is very simple and very profitable. Open a suicide bomber school. The trick is to get the tuition up front. Then teach them all they need to know, build a bomb to strap on, make a harness for the explosives. Help them calculate how much TNT they need. How to get past security. Then for the final exam have them go out to a empty field and poove they can blow themselves up. I am sure successful graduates will have no complaints about the quality of the school. Second is a little more involved. It would seem the terrorist can’t live with anyone including themselves. So Take a clue from Israel, build a wall or give them a piece of land to call their own. Then when they move in supply them with plenty of guns, bio weapons and other things that kill loads of people at a time. After about a year you can go back and claim the vacant land. Let Darwin do his thing.

:o Yeah right, mate; let's also PUBLISH such a list, so that these terrorist chaps know where NOT to go . . . . . .

In my opinion, the least is "published" about security arrangements put into place, the more "secure" these places will be.

I would also like to hear that increased security disciplines are put into force at ALL places of entry into this Kingdom, because, let's face it: this is where they're likely to enter this Kingdom ! :D

Exactly why the media needs to be hushed a bit. It's a issue of national security. Not that I think Thaksin should have control over what the papers print, but something needs to be done... I'm sure the terrorists love reading about what the 'authorities' are up to.

I also like to idea of arming expats (I don't like being called a farang) :D

As I see it I have two ideas to deal with the terrorists. First is very simple and very profitable. Open a suicide bomber school. The trick is to get the tuition up front. Then teach them all they need to know, build a bomb to strap on, make a harness for the explosives. Help them calculate how much TNT they need. How to get past security. Then for the final exam have them go out to a empty field and poove they can blow themselves up. I am sure successful graduates will have no complaints about the quality of the school. Second is a little more involved. It would seem the terrorist can’t live with anyone including themselves. So Take a clue from Israel, build a wall or give them a piece of land to call their own. Then when they move in supply them with plenty of guns, bio weapons and other things that kill loads of people at a time. After about a year you can go back and claim the vacant land. Let Darwin do his thing.

Usual I simplify a post, but yours J K, says it all,

The media (aka CNN and variants), in it's zeal for ratings, instructs point by point how to do what and to where), 2nd amendment issues aside, we need a responsible press, but then again that's what Nazi Germany said in 41,

I hope I never have to hear about a "Bali .." incident in the LOS, but pragmatically, it's just a matter of time ... :o

:o Wish they would issue gun permits to those who know how to use them, then the terrorists would say "we would attack the westerners in Bangkok but they are all armed” :D

Well - Mr. "Meelousee" you certainly live true to your name ! "issue gun permits to those who know how to use them . . ." If you have been folowing what's been happening in the South, you would know that this trick didn't work-out too well.

You may desire to see guns issued to those who "know how to use them", but the actual question here is: WOULD THOSE SAME PEOPLE (WHO KNOW HOW TO USE THEM) ALSO KNOW WHO TO SHOOT ? ? ? ? ? Like I said; Mr. "Meelousee", your handle is very appropriate, because you certainly Mai Rhoo ! ! Maybe timely to change your handle, huh ? Here's a hint, Cowboy :D

post-10410-1122206462_thumb.jpg

According to some of the terrorism experts who have interviewed detained potential terrorists, Thailand has remained relatively free of terrorism because it is the easiest transit point for getting fake passports, documents and transit to other countries. As such, most of them have not wanted to cause a problem that results in a clamp down on them.

That doesn't mean that it won't change, however.

As for publishing a list of places, it's not a matter of doing or not doing. Terrorists will make their own assessment about security. Soft targets are always a possibility. There just isn't enough security to protect a shopping center or market, for example.

I do hope some of the shopping centers stop the parking of vehicles right in front of the building, these could potentially cause tremendous damage and would prevent any type of rescue vehicle from getting near.

According to some of the terrorism experts who have interviewed detained potential terrorists, Thailand has remained relatively free of terrorism ....

according to the source, didn't reveal himself yet ( da ppl know da ppl who know da ppl) there's secret operation in public toilets been held since yesterday. All men with circumcision would be followed, photographed and secretly finger-printed. Undercover agents are deployed around greater bkk and samut prakarn areas. Ask George to confirm - he will deny, surely

Sadly, it is not possible to eliminate terrorism, especially that caused by suicide-bombers....we can only hope for the minimisation of risk.

I don't know how long the risk from the Islamist fascist ideology will last but for now and in the foreseeable future it is unfortunately with us.

It is easy to say 'Let us not let the terrrosits win' and insist on living life the way we have been used to live but one can never blame people for acts like cancelling holidays to certain places, not going to bars, etc in some areas, etc.....after all, people don't want to risk getting killed or maimed.

One thing though....racial profiling is a racist and inhumane procedure and should not be adopted anywhere.

On a broader perspective, the U.S. imperialism and a sick, fundamentalist interpretation of Islam (which like other religions, is only a myth, in my opininon, by the way) will continue to mess up our world in the foreseeable future...Sad !

Jem

Wish they would issue gun permits to those who know how to use them, then the terrorists would say "we would attack the westerners in Bangkok but they are all armed” :o

Thus and true, corrupt politicians inspire assassins. Of course they don't want people to have guns. Politicians never trust the people to whom they give reason to shoot them.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." GW :D

I can only think you must come from some lawless country that allows people to carry guns willy nilly because the ruling poiticians are gun crazy too. You have one guess as to which country I'm referring to.

I can only think you must come from some lawless country that allows people to carry guns willy nilly because the ruling poiticians are gun crazy too. You have one guess as to which country I'm referring to.

Well If it is any concern I am still asked if I am from a red or blue state.

I think the only terrorism that will happen in BKK is what is happening in the South. Thailand does not occur to me as being a good place to bomb, international terrorism wise. Whats the message in doing this? The big worry is southern terrorism deciding to hit where it hurts: the capital. Look out for any suspicious Malay looking Thais in BKK?

The point about photing people with your phone: is that a good idea? Maybe you could MMS the pictures to boys in brown, and combined with them being able to workout where your mobile is geographically they could respond really fast :o (I think not!)

Update:

Security at embassies, offices and entertainment venues tightened 

BANGKOK: --  Police have stepped up security at the Bangkok embassies of  Egypt, the United States and Britain after al-Qaeda linked suicide car bombers attacked Egypt’s Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh yesterday,  killing at least 88 people, including a number of foreign tourists.

The police presence at the Egyptian mission has been increased; steel barricades erected; and parking banned in the area.    Thorough searches are also being made of people entering the embassy, especially those of Middle East origin.

It is a similar picture at both the embassies of the Britain and the United States.

Security measures at entertainment venues  and government offices  have also been tightened,  while police have been told to be on alert round-the-clock. 

--TNA 2005-07-24

:D

And we won't tell anyone that the fact there is a ASEAN conference in Laos the end of the month. That doesn't have anything to do with increased security.

After all, Laos is a whole border away from Thailand.

:o

The Biggest Terrorists In Thailand Are The Thais Terrorising white Peoples Wallet. Dont Think The Terrorists Want Another Religion / Group Of People After Them.

Dont really think its a reason for terror fear yet . Look out for the traffic, youngsters whit guns, and Tsunamis / earthquakes.

122BOMBCL_11.GIF

Security increased in Bangkok

Pansiri said routine security checks, including police patrols, were being conducted at a further 991 locations................

What a strange number to use.

I would have said, "... another 1000 locations........"

Perhaps he has 911 on the brain and got a little muddled?

>...Thai visitors should keep away from potential terrorist targets, such as >underground train stations and shopping malls, he said.

great statement! of course, go by foot (or nasty taxis) and tell the people not to go shopping!

who knows what the soldiers do at the doors at Don Muang airport? there are about 2-4 soldiers standing at each door but not checking anything! last month at least they checked 1 of 3 luggage bags!

maybe it's not an important place to protect! amazing thailand!

and as an inconvenince some doors are restricted to exit while the others can only be entered.

Wish they would issue gun permits to those who know how to use them, then the terrorists would say "we would attack the westerners in Bangkok but they are all armed” :D

: :o : Notice my friend that it is very funny if you think about it. On the one hand every country in the world likes to bash us in the open. But yet you sure love our money, and lets not forget our PROTECTION when you can't take care of yourselves. How ever I agree that giving people the right to carry concealed weapons is not a good idea. There are to many trigger happy people out there.

• 4 weeks later...
Wish they would issue gun permits to those who know how to use them, then the terrorists would say "we would attack the westerners in Bangkok but they are all armed”  :D

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." GW  :D

What a crazy idea :o . Maybe it's from Mr. Heston or likely. I think the mayor problem is too many weapons and explosives around!

Three days ago around noon, at the Thai Cultural Center MRT station were two armed security personnel and a 'bomb-sniffing' dog. There aren't that many bomb-sniffing dogs around in the world, so maybe he was just for show... but the fact that they had a dog/special security there means that the Thai govt is very concerned about attacks in the capital. :o

And then there's this comment on the political situation that is at the root of the problems down south -

Washington Post letter about the political situation in southern thailand

Edited by phormio

Incredibly, there is still no barricade blocking the entrance to Nana Plaza Entertainment Complex, even after being found on a terrorist bomber target list.

Why don't the owners demand better security? I see none, nothing.

Could there be a more perfect target for some extreemist to make a statement?

I stay away from that place.

Not only would it be unfortunate for the people inside, but the entire tourist economy will go in the toilet for years!

122BOMBCL_11.GIF

perfect :o