If You Are Listening To Music Now..

The Beatles- You Really Got a Hold on me is just comig to an end. Up next is.............

Prince- Girls And Boys

get outta here...the Beatles was a cover of the real thing released in late '50s...can't remember her name but a real R&B classic...

'You really got a hold on me' was written by Smokey Robinson and released on Tamla Motown by the Miracles in November 1962 - recorded at Hitsville USA in the Motor City! :o

Motown.jpg

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Beatles- You Really Got a Hold on me is just comig to an end. Up next is.............

Prince- Girls And Boys

get outta here...the Beatles was a cover of the real thing released in late '50s...can't remember her name but a real R&B classic...

how about the Stones early 60s cover of 'You better move on'?...in the same grove as the original...fantastic...

useta listen to all these originals on my transistor radio while on my paper round 5 am in Pasadena...later in the day to be brutalised by hyena primary school teachers that disapproved of negro popular music...

This song was of course a cover. The Beatles used to play covers in their early days. When they played in Hamburg it was mostly covers. The reason i was listening to this song was that they performed it live at the BBC. If you listen to the Beatles early stuff you will see a few covers. I dont mind bands doing covers aslong as they dont kill the song.

Prince- Girls And Boys

how about the Stones early 60s cover of 'You better move on'?...in the same grove as the original...fantastic...

useta listen to all these originals on my transistor radio while on my paper round 5 am in Pasadena...later in the day to be brutalised by hyena primary school teachers that disapproved of negro popular music...

This song was of course a cover. The Beatles used to play covers in their early days. When they played in Hamburg it was mostly covers. The reason i was listening to this song was that they performed it live at the BBC. If you listen to the Beatles early stuff you will see a few covers. I dont mind bands doing covers aslong as they dont kill the song.

Oh yeah...I agree...the Beatles did justice to the Isley Bros Twist and Shout for example...Roll over Beethoven...etc...

'Reverend Black Grape': Black Grape

I had forgotten how great-sounding this band were, I wonder what Shaun and Bez are upto these days?

My mate was out with Bez the other night, she phoned us, let him have a chat and sent us a photo of him and her.

To be honest, he looked <deleted>. Big beard an that. Weird, he looked like a scag head that I know he's not....!

I'll get the photo *off the gf's phone tonight when she's back from work and post it, you will be shocked.

redrus

Edited by redrus

I had forgotten how great-sounding this band were, I wonder what Shaun and Bez are upto these days?

I hazard a guess at sitting on their <deleted>, mumbling <deleted>, while smoking joints and drinking cans.

the grape and the mondays made some top tunes but shaun and bez didnt contribute much to that. :o

I hazard a guess at sitting on their <deleted>, mumbling <deleted>, while smoking joints and drinking cans.

the grape and the mondays made some top tunes but shaun and bez didnt contribute much to that. :D

What a load of <deleted> Game, yeah I'll agree in Bez'z case but, Game hello, Shaun Ryder contributed every fookin lyric the Mondays and Grape ever sang.....! Is that not contribution enough for you...... :o

redrus

the grape and the mondays made some top tunes but shaun and bez didnt contribute much to that. :D

What a load of <deleted> Game, yeah I'll agree in Bez'z case but, Game hello, Shaun Ryder contributed every fookin lyric the Mondays and Grape ever sang.....! Is that not contribution enough for you...... :o

redrus

:D thought you might take that one 'drus!! :D

let me clear this up.

I know shaun was lyricist/vocalist.

what I meant was the good things about black grape and the mondays ie the actual music was down to the other band members.

come on, you're not going to say shaun has a voice of an angel are you? :D

the mondays and black grape = good music, <deleted> vocals. :D

:D

(quote) - anybody know if these folks got a line on shops that rebuild second hand engines, transmissions, etc?...with a 6 mo guarantee? Someone said that there are a lot of junk yards around there...could we presume that if the junkyard on the phone ain't got what we're looking for could he find someone that has? (sorta like what they do in LA with parts in general)

what was the song? 'I sold my heart to the junkman, so I'll never fall in love again...'

(unquote)

a post in the motors forum and in popped pre-Beatles motown with a girl group...anybody got a group name or release year? Rather unique lyrics, one must admit...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

(quote) - anybody know if these folks got a line on shops that rebuild second hand engines, transmissions, etc?...with a 6 mo guarantee? Someone said that there are a lot of junk yards around there...could we presume that if the junkyard on the phone ain't got what we're looking for could he find someone that has? (sorta like what they do in LA with parts in general)

what was the song? 'I sold my heart to the junkman, so I'll never fall in love again...'

(unquote)

a post in the motors forum and in popped pre-Beatles motown with a girl group...anybody got a group name or release year? Rather unique lyrics, one must admit...

Patricia Holt and Cindy Birdsong first formed a group called the Ordettes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1959, Nona Hendryx and Sarah Dash joined after leaving a group called the Del Capris. Patricia Holt had her name changed to Patti LaBelle after the group became The Bluebelles. Though the first single was "I Sold My Heart to the Junkman" (released as the Bluebelles), LaBelle relays in her memoir (Don't Block The Blessings) that the group didn't actually perform on the original track. As she tells it, the song's producer had recorded it with Starlets and renamed them the Bluebelles, but the group left upon the single's release.

Hope this is the one you're after.

(unquote)

Patricia Holt and Cindy Birdsong first formed a group called the Ordettes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1959, Nona Hendryx and Sarah Dash joined after leaving a group called the Del Capris. Patricia Holt had her name changed to Patti LaBelle after the group became The Bluebelles. Though the first single was "I Sold My Heart to the Junkman" (released as the Bluebelles), LaBelle relays in her memoir (Don't Block The Blessings) that the group didn't actually perform on the original track. As she tells it, the song's producer had recorded it with Starlets and renamed them the Bluebelles, but the group left upon the single's release.

Hope this is the one you're after.

excellent...

redrus

:D thought you might take that one 'drus!! :D

let me clear this up.

I know shaun was lyricist/vocalist.

what I meant was the good things about black grape and the mondays ie the actual music was down to the other band members.

come on, you're not going to say shaun has a voice of an angel are you? :D

the mondays and black grape = good music, <deleted> vocals. :D

:D

Just think though, what were either without those lyrics....? and, what would they sound like with someone who really could sing. That was the charm....!

Just imagine Mick Hucknall or Jay Kay singing wrote for luck or 24 hour party people. Imagine bleedin Chris Martin getting his chops round The Squirrel and the G Man album.....?

Point proved. :D

redrus

Mother Earth by Mother Earth with Tracy Nelson and 'Makal Blumfeld' on guitar, credited as such because of a record contract conflict...(Michael Bloomfield...previously with Paul Butterfield)

man...I stood outside a club in North Beach in the rain with a can of beer in a paper bag because I didn't have no dough to get in to listen to that man play...sheer technical genius...

(how do you explain these things to your (thai) grandchildren?)

'Mother Earth is comin' for you 'cause there's a debt you gotta pay...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

to follow on with previous Paul Butterfield personnel there's Elvin Bishop with 'I fooled around and fell in love' which was played a lot on radio in the UAE when I was there...the airwaves there were quite liberal for a muslim place...'I must have loved a 1000 girls...then I fooled around etc...'

also useta hear a lot of Patti Smith's 'Because the night'...useta make for good driving music on the way home from the site...pedal to the metal onna 6 lane motorway and not another car in sight...

Edited by tutsiwarrior