Thai Berry Pickers In Sweden Head Home Empty Handed

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a turn around.. They should give this guy a medal of the highest order.. Like the earlier post said "thais getting screwed by farang, unheard of". Look what happens in thailand everyday we get screwed over in every sector, it's so refreshing to read a story like this and see the boot on the other foot.

Maybe if this did happen more often thais might treat us fairly, equally, the same same, that's all I ask.. Very good story, maybe a leson for the thai people.. :jap:

What a horrible way to express your angst against people you think have wronged you.

I fail to see why you would get off on seeing anyone get ripped off regardless of any times you were the brunt of the joke of economics. While it may be a good idea to get earnest money up front or an account set up for payouts you fail to see that unlike us that get to go to school & learn common sense- a little of la & how to guard your wages legally the Thai people lack in education & they jump for a chance to make real money other than 300-400 baht a day for skilled labor. Lighten up man, your life will be a lot hppier & people will see you as a friendly instead of a hemorrhoid.

• Like 1

I stand by what I say, of course this is my point of view right? But looking at what Kuffki has just said it endorses my write up. The 2 dogooders who would like to see me hang high, try to read between the lines, think outside the box (if you can that is). I don't think you 2 have lived in thailand for long or know about the thai way, because if you did you wouldn't write stupid comments about clearly something you know nothing about.

Kuffki has been ripped off for large amounts of money whilst being in thailand, he is just a small proportion of the many who in number far exceed any thai national loosing a couple of thousand euro's.. They are the lucky one's.. if you added up the money that farang get cheated, robbed, murdered, fleeced out of on a daily basis in thailand it would be more than some countries GDP..

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.. ah haa haaa ahhhh.... :bah:

Anyone this nasty just has to be a troll.... Please tell me such farangs don't exist

Very understandable that Thais just dislike foreigners. Useless to mention that I had to puke while reading ukinbbkk's post. Sorry, but such farlangs do exist.

I think Nasa Vegas should ban Swedes too.

Everyone should be paid for a job well done.

There must be some kind of insurance covering workers whose bosses elope with their pay.

Are you Ben who worked in Siket?

Thought I saw this report earlier today on Thaivisa. Either way it looks like the head honcho in Sweden emptied the salary account of about 17 M baht and have not been seen since.

Leaving about 160 Thai workers stranded without pay and means to get back home.

Hope they get the bastard... :realangry:

LOL COULDNT HAPPEN TO A BETTER BUNCH

Wow, Thais getting screwed by a Farang in a foreign country. Hey, wait a minute, shouldn't it be the other way around ?

Oh all the noble members with high morals and values!....................Yes it is very bad what he did and Thai's have worked and lost money, some may end up getting the money eventually (or part there of) and the CEO will end up in jail. Now would same happened in Thailand if things were other way around???

In my personal experience, i have been ripped off by

1. Powerbuy- amount 5500 baht with no outcome at all

2. Ripped off by TATA car dealer-750 000 baht with no outcome

3. Bangkok Hospital -500 000 baht with no outcome

4. LG to the amount of 3 000 000 baht-with no outcome

5. Condo Developer-amount 100 000 baht with no outcome

And i am yet to meet a Thai who felt sorry for me or tried to help, so i guess i did not work hard for my money:unsure:

Yes, this is a travesty to be treated this way. I can relate to the Bangkok Hospital issue.

Um, just a side note, I have this big blue colored diamond, and I was wondering if you......

And i am yet to meet a Thai who felt sorry for me or tried to help, so i guess i did not work hard for my money:unsure:

Hang on - you are saying that all these large organisations listed have taken those amounts from you and you received nothing in return?

Man, you must be the biggest sucker ever born. Why would you hand over 500,000 to Bkk Hospital for nothing?

I must be the biggest sucker ever born, so i am sure you will be giving me your expert advice

Had a surgery in Bangkok Hospital where doctor guaranteed 100% recovery in less then 12 months.

3 years later i am still in pain and worse off then i was prior to surgery.

Doctor confirmed that something went wrong during the surgery and i need to have another one, ONLY i must pay again full amount.

No lawyer in Thailand is willing to take a case against Bangkok Hospital.

So now please enlighten me with your expertise and give me your professional advice.

We farang have no rights in this country and should we run into any scam or trouble or even an accident -we are always in the wrong.

With all due respects you the first sentence " we are always in the wrong" is entirely incorrect.

Giving rise to questioning your " ripped off " status regarding your list of complaints.

Ok will clarify all for you so you wil not have the need to rise anything

1. Powerbuy. Bought a fan for 5500 baht which broke 7 times in 6 months. Now the refuse to fix it or change it because they know it will break but must give 1 year warranty from the time they fixed.So 5500 baht down the toilet

2.Tata. Bought brand new Tata which broke down same day as i was driving home. Its now been with them for 6 months and they can not fix it, yet refuse to give new car or money back

3. Hospital. I already explained in earlier post

4. LG. Called LG to come out fix my TV. LG tech came out, picked up TV and called few days later saying that it can not be fixed(which was a lie)

Asked to return TV, which he did not do. Lodged complaint with LG Korea and TV was returned 3 weeks later, with him demanding 500 baht. Mind you no invoice or anything. Cut the story short, he attacked me in my own house. I removed him from my house, but due to prior surgery injured another part of my body, putting me out of work for 2 years, another surgery and much more.

PS. Did take a lawyer and did not get anywhere, despite all the witnesses and police reports etc etc etc

5. Condo. In one of my condo's developer was as dodgy as they come, so the electrical was all faulty. The moment i plugged in all my electrical-everything blew up. Got electrical engineer to inspect the system and he confirmed all was not even by Thai standards.

So now could you please give me an example of when the foreigner was in the right, just to prove my statement is entirely wrong, only because saying that i am really does not prove a point

Oh all the noble members with high morals and values!....................Yes it is very bad what he did and Thai's have worked and lost money, some may end up getting the money eventually (or part there of) and the CEO will end up in jail. Now would same happened in Thailand if things were other way around???

Yes, this is a travesty to be treated this way. I can relate to the Bangkok Hospital issue.

Um, just a side note, I have this big blue colored diamond, and I was wondering if you......

Was that sarcasm or just a poor attempt at humour?

A little of both. Sorry, didn't mean to rile you.

Regarding Bangkok Hospital, you should contact the same third party company working for the UAE Embassy. They are taking on the hospital head on, on behalf of the embassy that has been overcharged for numerous patients. If you didn't know, the Bangkok Hospital just recently kicked out UAE patients claiming that the UAE Embassy was delinquent in payments.

A little of both. Sorry, didn't mean to rile you.

Regarding Bangkok Hospital, you should contact the same third party company working for the UAE Embassy. They are taking on the hospital head on, on behalf of the embassy that has been overcharged for numerous patients. If you didn't know, the Bangkok Hospital just recently kicked out UAE patients claiming that the UAE Embassy was delinquent in payments.

Yes i am aware of the case with UAE, but i am not a citizen of UAE, nor was i over charged(sort of speak)

Ih my case simple case of medical malpractice, but not much i can do about that.

We farang have no rights in this country and should we run into any scam or trouble or even an accident -we are always in the wrong.

With all due respects you the first sentence " we are always in the wrong" is entirely incorrect.

Giving rise to questioning your " ripped off " status regarding your list of complaints.

Ok will clarify all for you so you wil not have the need to rise anything

1. Powerbuy. Bought a fan for 5500 baht which broke 7 times in 6 months. Now the refuse to fix it or change it because they know it will break but must give 1 year warranty from the time they fixed.So 5500 baht down the toilet

2.Tata. Bought brand new Tata which broke down same day as i was driving home. Its now been with them for 6 months and they can not fix it, yet refuse to give new car or money back

3. Hospital. I already explained in earlier post

4. LG. Called LG to come out fix my TV. LG tech came out, picked up TV and called few days later saying that it can not be fixed(which was a lie)

Asked to return TV, which he did not do. Lodged complaint with LG Korea and TV was returned 3 weeks later, with him demanding 500 baht. Mind you no invoice or anything. Cut the story short, he attacked me in my own house. I removed him from my house, but due to prior surgery injured another part of my body, putting me out of work for 2 years, another surgery and much more.

PS. Did take a lawyer and did not get anywhere, despite all the witnesses and police reports etc etc etc

5. Condo. In one of my condo's developer was as dodgy as they come, so the electrical was all faulty. The moment i plugged in all my electrical-everything blew up. Got electrical engineer to inspect the system and he confirmed all was not even by Thai standards.

So now could you please give me an example of when the foreigner was in the right, just to prove my statement is entirely wrong, only because saying that i am really does not prove a point

And what further actions did you take to try and rectify some of the above?

A car broke down on the day you bought it and they've had it for 6 months? They refuse to refund your money or give you a new car? That's a good bit of PR isn't it? They think let's stick it to Whitey he won't make a fuss?

And an LG engineer just attacked you in your home without provocation after trying to extort money from you and a lawyer, despite witnesses and police reports, could do nothing about it?

And that's because Thais are out to rip off westerners right?

Maybe it's you.

And what further actions did you take to try and rectify some of the above?

A car broke down on the day you bought it and they've had it for 6 months? They refuse to refund your money or give you a new car? That's a good bit of PR isn't it? They think let's stick it to Whitey he won't make a fuss?

And an LG engineer just attacked you in your home without provocation after trying to extort money from you and a lawyer, despite witnesses and police reports, could do nothing about it?

And that's because Thais are out to rip off westerners right?

Maybe it's you.

Well rather then criticizing, how about giving your expert advice, i am still waiting on your example of foreigner being in the right. Or does your expertise only extend to your armchair behind the computer?

I'm still trying to get my head round the surreal situation of an LG engineer attacking you in your own home and no action was taken.

Example of foreigner being in the right?

My car hit a Thai on a motorcycle ( he was in the wrong). Ambulance took him off to hospital, police came, checked my docs, had a nose around, took a statement. Told me it's OK and I've heard nothing from that day to this.

What's the betting if it had been you the result would have been a lot different and you'd be posting on here about bent Thais?

Edited by mca

I'm still trying to get my head round the surreal situation of an LG engineer attacking you in your own home and no action was taken.

My car hit a Thai on a motorcycle ( he was in the wrong). Ambulance took him off to hospital, police came, checked my docs, had a nose around, took a statement. Told me it's OK and I've heard nothing from that day to this.

What's the betting if it had been you the result would have been a lot different and you'd be posting on here about bent Thais?

Oh now you feel the need to get personal.

Would you like a link to a story which went other way around and i am sorry to disappoint you it is not me.

Better yet, i would love to see evidence to your story, because this would be at first i have ever heard.

Next thing you will be posting that you had an accident with a bike driven by a 15 year old kid and police let you go with no problem because kid was in the wrong

As for LG, its very simple. Police were happy to start criminal case but that does not put money into my pocket. Suing him personally also does not pay my bills and LG has little more money then me to keep in in court for the next 50 years.

I am happy to give you their official response which was in the lines of " This has nothing to do with us, he acted on his own accord so take it up with him"

I have been and changed 7 lawyers, and not only all of them want 500 000 upfront to even file the case, but once i came with money, they were trying to put up the price. One assistant lawyer was nice enough and told me in confidence, that they do not really want to take the case because they scared to go up against big company because they then will never get their business and also worry about loosing face.

But again, it must be all me and you live in a different Thailand to mine.

• Like 1

What a turn around.. They should give this guy a medal of the highest order.. Like the earlier post said "thais getting screwed by farang, unheard of". Look what happens in thailand everyday we get screwed over in every sector, it's so refreshing to read a story like this and see the boot on the other foot.

Maybe if this did happen more often thais might treat us fairly, equally, the same same, that's all I ask.. Very good story, maybe a leson for the thai people.. :jap:

I hope you are jocking in case you are not you are really a man that is deserved to be screwed and kick out of Thailand.Do Falangs come to Thailand to work in the rice field ? or maybe they come to profit the good hospitality of the Thai by getting cheep housing food and pretty ladies.

I hope you are jocking in case you are not you are really a man that is deserved to be screwed and kick out of Thailand.Do Falangs come to Thailand to work in the rice field ? or maybe they come to profit the good hospitality of the Thai by getting cheep housing food and pretty ladies.

I believe the word for that is to exploit.

But to answer your question, farang come for 2 reasons

1. To retire, so they can have better quality of life then back home for the little money

2. To make money(business), but those very quickly get relieved from their money and stay running afloat just making enough to have a living

The ones who come to retire, love everything to do with Thailand because now they can have everything they could not have back home. and the ones who came to make money and business, hate everything about Thailand because they loosing money, rather then making it, or just staying even.

And as for working in the rice fields, all farangs i know, including myself who run a business here, they work 10 times harder then the rice fields, because not only they have to deal with business itself, but also with the staff, corruption, and bureaucracy every single day.

1. To retire, so they can have better quality of life then back home for the little money

2. To make money(business), but those very quickly get relieved from their money and stay running afloat just making enough to have a living

The ones who come to retire, love everything to do with Thailand because now they can have everything they could not have back home. and the ones who came to make money and business, hate everything about Thailand because they loosing money, rather then making it, or just staying even.

And as for working in the rice fields, all farangs i know, including myself who run a business here, they work 10 times harder then the rice fields, because not only they have to deal with business itself, but also with the staff, corruption, and bureaucracy every single day.

So honestly Kuffiki if you have such a bad business and personal experience in Thailand something should keep you here

Would you like a link to a story which went other way around and i am sorry to disappoint you it is not me.

Better yet, i would love to see evidence to your story, because this would be at first i have ever heard.

Next thing you will be posting that you had an accident with a bike driven by a 15 year old kid and police let you go with no problem because kid was in the wrong

As for LG, its very simple. Police were happy to start criminal case but that does not put money into my pocket. Suing him personally also does not pay my bills and LG has little more money then me to keep in in court for the next 50 years.

I am happy to give you their official response which was in the lines of " This has nothing to do with us, he acted on his own accord so take it up with him"

I have been and changed 7 lawyers, and not only all of them want 500 000 upfront to even file the case, but once i came with money, they were trying to put up the price. One assistant lawyer was nice enough and told me in confidence, that they do not really want to take the case because they scared to go up against big company because they then will never get their business and also worry about loosing face.

Certainly looks that way. Thank God. I think I was ripped off once when I bought a broom from a street vendor passing my house and was told later by my laughing wife that he'd charged me 100 baht when they were really about 50. Live and learn. Well, Thais will rip you off right?

Of course if you don't wish to believe my story about the accident that's your prerogative. If it's the first time you've ever heard such a tale you really should get out more. But a well worn cliche sounds so much better doesn't it?

Guess some people just walk round with an invisible " Victim " on their forehead.

Quite frankly it's an insult to my Thai family and friends when the bores come out with the " Thais will rip you off " wanke_ry. Having met quite a number of westerners over the years who fall into the category of rubbishing all Thai people the one constant is what absolute <deleted> they are.

Certainly looks that way. Thank God. I think I was ripped off once when I bought a broom from a street vendor passing my house and was told later by my laughing wife that he'd charged me 100 baht when they were really about 50. Live and learn. Well, Thais will rip you off right?

Of course if you don't wish to believe my story about the accident that's your prerogative. If it's the first time you've ever heard such a tale you really should get out more. But a well worn cliche sounds so much better doesn't it?

Guess some people just walk round with an invisible " Victim " on their forehead.

Quite frankly it's an insult to my Thai family and friends when the bores come out with the " Thais will rip you off " wanke_ry. Having met quite a number of westerners over the years who fall into the category of rubbishing all Thai people the one constant is what absolute <deleted> they are.

The only thing that seems to come out of you is just off topic drible.

When you have nothing then you get personal

Really try to stay on topic and not get personal.

Since you and your Thai family are all angels and you have never met any foreigner who has been ripped off, you either need to step out of your village in Isaan or meet more people, or simply open your eyes.Because it sounds like you would not know the truth even if it hit you in the face.

I am sure you also fluent in Thai and your Thai friends also love you and respect you, this i hear only on Thai visa and only from people like yourself.

So since you know everything and i that idiot with "victim" written on my head, how about giving some words of wisdom ? I have now asked you for this about 3 times and all i get back is personal drible.

Sow how about words of wisdom from well settled expat with Thai family and great Thai friends.???

Next time i buy a car which breaks down on the way home, please enlighten me what agency i should contact to have it sorted??

Next time surgery goes wrong, please give me the name of the GREAT Thai lawyer that will handle it for me???

Next time i buy something that breaks and seller refuses to honor the warranty, please give me some advise on who i should contact??

Also can you please give me some advice on which police i need to know, so next time i have an accident when someone rear ends me, i will not be liable for their damage????

I hope in your next response you will actually provide all the information rather then more drible.

So honestly Kuffiki if you have such a bad business and personal experience in Thailand something should keep you here

My animals! i can not take them back to Oz.

Well i could take all but 1.

But even the ones i could take, it will take 1 year to get them over and that year for them would need to be spend in the cage and i am not willing to put them through that torcher.

And even if i was to do it, one is prohibited in Oz, so i am stuck in the region biggrin.gif

So how about words of wisdom from well settled expat with Thai family and great Thai friends.???

Go home. Seriously.

Your comment about " What police should I know..." sums you up. I don't know any cops who could help me in a fix. The cops who attended my accident just did their job.

But in your black and white world it just couldn't be feasible that there are decent Thais around. Or straight cops.

Since you and your Thai family are all angels and you have never met any foreigner who has been ripped off, you either need to step out of your village in Isaan or meet more people, or simply open your eyes.Because it sounds like you would not know the truth even if it hit you in the face.

Can't I recall saying I have never met a foreigner who's been ripped off. Know a few Thais who've been ripped off by Thais t too. Know a few Brits who've been ripped off back home too by fellow Brits.

Open my eyes? The scales regarding LOS fell from them long ago. But I don't live my world in small minded easy to digest cliches like a lot of expats.

I'll ignore your slight on my family and friends. You're bitter. I understand that.

Reply if you feel so inclined. I'm done.

So how about words of wisdom from well settled expat with Thai family and great Thai friends.???

Go home. Seriously.

Your comment about " What police should I know..." sums you up. I don't know any cops who could help me in a fix. The cops who attended my accident just did their job.

But in your black and white world it just couldn't be feasible that there are decent Thais around. Or straight cops.

Can't I recall saying I have never met a foreigner who's been ripped off. Know a few Thais who've been ripped off by Thais t too. Know a few Brits who've been ripped off back home too by fellow Brits.

Open my eyes? The scales regarding LOS fell from them long ago. But I don't live my world in small minded easy to digest cliches like a lot of expats.

I'll ignore your slight on my family and friends. You're bitter. I understand that.

Reply if you feel so inclined. I'm done.

So i guess again there will be no advise! and just more personal drible.

Thank god you done.jap.gif

What a pathetic answer. These people worked hard for their money and you want to give a medal to the guy who ripped them off!. You must have a miserable life, having thoughts like this!

Agreed....J have been here 11 years and and cannot think of any occasion where I have been knowingly ripped off. The odd mistake for sure but that's no different to any country. Just cannot understand why people stay here if they are so disillusioned by the way they are allegedly treated.. They must live a miserable life whinging all the time

This story has been ongoing for over a year now...it is sad, mainly because as reported, the workers often pay [borrow] up to B 200,000 to "job brokers" up in Issan to even get these supposed "jobs" to begin with. Wouldn't suprise me if the Swedish fella was in cahoots with these Thai brokers all along and that they split up the "fees" for these "jobs."

Surprising that these labour abuses are allowed to go basically unchecked in that socialist workers' paradise of Sweden, however.

This appears to be one man, with a Finnish name, although he could be a Swede.

I have worked for major Swedish contractors. At one time we tried to set up our own recruiting agency in Thailand as the Thai agencies were ripping off the workers they sent to us.

But impossible - Thai law would not allow it.

So we had to keep paying the scummy Thai agents and find ways round the conditions imposed so that the families of our workers received a fair portion of what these guys earned.

It cost us money at the start, but I had Thai workers following me from job-to-job for a dozen years or more, because they knew they would get fair treatment and their families would see more money. That is the basic Swedish approach to employees, fair and reasonable.

This guy deserves whatever's coming to him.

Hunphrey

Slightly off base but what you are referring to happens in every Asian and some none Asian country including your home Oz. You can employ direct you just cannot form your own agency.

This guy is one of many across the Middle East and Asia doing the same thing. Lots of Westerners get caught the same way. It is not a new story. back to "buyer beware" in an alternative format.

I am not surprised about the poster UKinbkk who whinges about everything. The first 3 letters of his "name" says it all. Just beats me why they stay here.

Bitter. Twisted. Aggrieved.

You poor bitter, twisted, aggrieved little man.

Probably won't help (you), but might be time to go home, mate...

UPDATE

Berry Pickers Received by Minister

Thai berry pickers who arrived Monday morning from Sweden were received in the airport by Thailand's Minister of Social Development and Human Security, Mr Issara Somchai. The minister told them the good news that an arrest warrant had already been issued for their Thai agent, Mr Phumkacha Nakham from Chaiyaphum province. Mr Issara Somchai explained to reporters present in the airport, that it was Mr Phumkacha Nakham who had sent them to Sweden to work for two months under false pretence.

The arrest order for Mr Phumkacha was issued because he had not registered a company in Thailand and had taken the group to Sweden on tourist visas. Minister of Social Development and Human Security, Mr Issara Somchai said, the money which the pickers claimed to be returned to them had to wait for the arrest of Mr. Phumkacha.

Mr Phumkacha Nakham was previously a berry picker himself but promoted himself as an agent for the berry picking in Sweden. The full group of 155 people had each paid him 78000 Baht to cover the travel arrangement including the visa application. He had promised them that they would get per month 16,372 Swedish kroner or 73.000 baht on a two and a half month contract.

A representative from the Ministry of Labour said that the ministry will seek to arrange for a cheap loan so the workers could pay back the high interest loans they had taken to pay Mr. Phumkacha for their travel cost.

Source: http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?news_id=7412&coun_code=se

SCANDASIA.COM

-- 2010-10-05

footer_n.gif