Wind

WinnieTheKhwai

It's calm on the surface up here in Pai but there was a huge lenticular cloud stack over the mountains to the west indicating some very high winds aloft.

'huge lenticular cloud' :)

Thai Wind had never been more amazing since last years - while i was away in bangkok . a Weird and crazy wind blow down a Lamp pole Height tree which landed on top of my MERC BENZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!

my father called me and told me that he heard a large BANG in the middle of the Night and i Told him just ignore it , it must be some crazy thai playing with Firework . whahahaha a

the Next morning he clal me again and told me he got 2 Bad news .

------

he said

1st The BENZ is FLOODED - i was like you forget the WIndow is it !!!

then he told me the Second BAD NEWS !

the tree on top of it smashed the Rear wind screen ( weird name- WIND SCREEN !! )

and the rain did the flooding whahhahaha

HOLY COW !!!!!!!!!

THAI WIND

...The closer the high and low pressure areas are together, the stronger the "pressure gradient", and the stronger the winds. On weather maps, lines of constant pressure are drawn which are called "isobars". These isobars are usually labeled with their pressure value in millibars. The closer these lines are together, the stronger the wind. The curvature of the isobars is also important to the wind speed. Given the same pressure gradient (isobar spacing), if they are curved anticyclonically the wind will be stronger. If the isobars are curved cyclonically the wind will be weaker. ...

This mornings synoptic (weather) chart (0700 local time) showed a high pressure cell over China with many isobars grouped together nearer to us. This probably contributed to the high winds earlier today.

post-114070-055810100 1286177601_thumb.j

It's calm on the surface up here in Pai but there was a huge lenticular cloud stack over the mountains to the west indicating some very high winds aloft.

The high winds flow up and over the ridge and form a standing wave like a river haystack. If there's enough moisture a cloud forms at the leading edge where the air is pushed up and dissipates at the trailing edge where it descends again while the lens-shaped cloud itself remains stationary. I once flew a glider to 23,000 feet in front of one of these in SoCal.

edit - nice pics BB

Edited by cloudhopper

Thai Wind had never been more amazing since last years - while i was away in bangkok . a Weird and crazy wind blow down a Lamp pole Height tree which landed on top of my MERC BENZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!

my father called me and told me that he heard a large BANG in the middle of the Night and i Told him just ignore it , it must be some crazy thai playing with Firework . whahahaha a

------

he said

the tree on top of it smashed the Rear wind screen ( weird name- WIND SCREEN !! )

HOLY COW !!!!!!!!!

THAI WIND

Serves you right for having a Merc' !!!!

BB, I love your explanation except for the part about the winds flowing to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern. It would really depend upon the "viewers" framer of reference to determine if the winds were from the right or the left. The correct explanation would be to the east in the Northern Hemisphere and to the west in the Southern.

Why is it that people from the U.S. seem to be the only English-speakers who can communicate directions correctly?

Personally I love the mammatus cloud formation (I'm not trying to be funny), fairly rare but quite a sight when you see one.

mammatus3.jpg

Mammatus Cloud

Lenticular_cloud-2.jpg

Lenticular Cloud

BB.... The Milk and Cheese Icing I've experienced while flying in mammatus clouds in convective weather over Wisconsin has caused me many moments of udder panic. Thanks for the mammories!

------

he said

HOLY COW !!!!!!!!!

THAI WIND

Serves you right for having a Merc' !!!!

whahahahhahaha i have about 7 cars :P but it was really one amazing adventure :) was thinking to scrap it to the junk yard but one workshop offer me a very good restoration price so i restore it . :P

Personally I love the mammatus cloud formation (I'm not trying to be funny), fairly rare but quite a sight when you see one.

BB.... The Milk and Cheese Icing I've experienced while flying in mammatus clouds in convective weather over Wisconsin has caused me many moments of udder panic. Thanks for the mammories!

Good one, T Dog. The last great mammatus formation I experienced was in Abha, south west Saudi, big storm was brewing. I was in Nana Plaza a few weeks ago, but that's another story.