Newin Alleges Thaksin Behind Reported Assassination Attempts

webfact

Thais even tell me that the whole arrest story is a setup. Having just come across a PPT story on the internet as to how Thai soldiers extracted "confessions" from some red shirt supporters in Bangkok by beating them and threatening to burn them alive then planting weapons on them and had them sign confessions to be used against red shirts in their propaganda war - now exposed by a human rights group in Bangkok

Interesting stories... could we ask for the proof or links for all of that or are you trying to

manipulate and infer until it looks like facts and the truth without a shred of evidence!

Here it is

Siam Voices blog

By Andrew Spooner

.......article removed to save space

Thanks for that Cnxforever, but you probably needn't have bothered. They'll just discredit the author, his sources or the website you found it on if it challenges their ideas.

Edited by hanuman1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thais even tell me that the whole arrest story is a setup.

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

Of course the source of BS doesn't matter at all if the BS is what certain people want to hear.

The above is a good example of what you say.

You couldn't agree more with what an un-sourced and un-corroborated and anonymous poster on an internet forum said that others had told him.

I guess its what you want to hear, though, so it's not "BS" and is instead, "well said."

Exactly!!! I guess we're not that different after all ;)

Are newspaper reports any better than hearsay? Quite often, no.

Whereas newspaper reports may be based on hearsay, I do find them generally to be much more often sourced and corroborated than the hearsay offered up here by purported stories that "Thais tell me".

They are certainly easier to verify by viewing a variety of media sources.

Edited by Buchholz

You couldn't agree more with what an un-sourced and un-corroborated and anonymous poster on an internet forum said that others had told him.

I guess its what you want to hear, though, so it's not "BS" and is instead, "well said."

Whereas newspaper reports may be based on hearsay, I do find them generally to be much more often sourced and corroborated than the hearsay offered up here by purported stories that "Thais tell me".

The problem is that when a news story is based on hearsay and subsequently found to be BS, the gravitas and respect people give the story just by virtue of it being published has already had the effect of factualizing it to the extent that it can reinforce people's preconceptions depending on what prejudices they go into the article with.

Let's take a story today as an example. I think it broke yesterday, when 11 people were detained up North on suspicion of being terrorists. A great chorus of 'red scum' went up. Within 24 hours we get the news that no incriminating evidence has been found at all, those people were never even arrested let alone charged and that they belong to an 'unknown group' whatever that means.

Never mind, yesterday they were RED TERRORISTS! That's all people will remember because that's all they want to remember.

And that's what they'll subsequently use to further feed their prejudice against innocent red shirt supporters.

Thais even tell me that the whole arrest story is a setup. Having just come across a PPT story on the internet as to how Thai soldiers extracted "confessions" from some red shirt supporters in Bangkok by beating them and threatening to burn them alive then planting weapons on them and had them sign confessions to be used against red shirts in their propaganda war - now exposed by a human rights group in Bangkok

Interesting stories... could we ask for the proof or links for all of that or are you trying to

manipulate and infer until it looks like facts and the truth without a shred of evidence!

Here it is

Siam Voices blog

By Andrew Spooner

Thank you, although for future use it's good to supply the link to the item itself.

This is that link:

http://asiancorrespondent.com/siamvoices/thai-style-human-rights

By Andrew Spooner

Thanks for that Cnxforever, but you probably needn't have bothered. They'll just discredit the author, his sources or the website you found it on if it challenges their ideas.

Personally, I found travel writer Andrew Spooner's video story with his neighbour, cab driver 'Mudzi' Mehmet, on "A cabbie's guide to eating in London" to be highly credible and informative:

http://gu.com/p/2a2d5

By Andrew Spooner

Personally, I found travel writer Andrew Spooner's video story with his neighbour, cab driver 'Mudzi' Mehmet, on "A cabbie's guide to eating in London" to be highly credible and informative:

Okay, so does that mean you're prepared to entertain the notion that the Thai military extracted forced confessions out of those demonstators?

The problem is that when a news story is based on hearsay and subsequently found to be BS, the gravitas and respect people give the story just by virtue of it being published has already had the effect of factualizing it to the extent that it can reinforce people's preconceptions depending on what prejudices they go into the article with.

Let's take a story today as an example. I think it broke yesterday, when 11 people were detained up North on suspicion of being terrorists. A great chorus of 'red scum' went up. Within 24 hours we get the news that no incriminating evidence has been found at all, those people were never even arrested let alone charged and that they belong to an 'unknown group' whatever that means.

Never mind, yesterday they were RED TERRORISTS! That's all people will remember because that's all they want to remember.

And that's what they'll subsequently use to further feed their prejudice against innocent red shirt supporters.

I'm looking at that thread,

and I don't see anything posted on it that describes anything as what you allude to is the situation. :huh:

Do you have updated news that you could post on it that contradicts the earlier reports?

and I don't see anything posted on it that describes anything as what you allude to is the situation. :huh:

Do you have updated news that you could post on it that contradicts the earlier reports?

It's here:

Look in webfact's second post on that thread.

Edited by hanuman1

By Andrew Spooner

Okay, so does that mean you're prepared to entertain the notion that the Thai military extracted forced confessions out of those demonstators?

It means I found his choices for "sandwiches, Italian coffee, and authentic Turkish desserts" in London to be quite enlightening as it will help make some choices the next time I'm there.

As for the article that someone else wrote and he apparently translated, it's worth looking into further.

Here it is

Siam Voices blog

By Andrew SpoonerAs Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva heads to Europe in a further attempt to gloss over Thailand's increasingly poor human rights reputation, an account outlining torture, beatings and coercion by the Thai Army against Red shirt pro-democracy activists has emerged.

The chilling account (published, exclusively, by Asian Correspondent) in which Mr. Krissana Tanchayaphong (34), Mr.Surachai Pringphong (19) and an undisclosed male minor (under 18), allege that masked Thai Army soldiers pointed rifles at their heads, beat them, threw petrol and oil over them, choked them until they almost passed out and repeatedly attempted to force them to sign false confessions, portrays a damning indictment of PM Abhisit's worsening human rights' record.

The account, produced by both Mr. Krissana's legal team and the Social Move Assembly (สมัชชาสังคมก้าวหน้า), a Bangkok-based human rights group co-ordinated by activist Chaiwat Trakanratsanti, states.

"Mr. Krissana Tanchayaphong, Mr.Surachai Pringphong [and the minor] were arrested by soldiers around 9pm on May 16, 2010.

They left the Red Shirts demonstration at Ratchaprasong at around 8pm and first went to fetch their car which was parked at Pratunwan intersection and then drove to Soi Chula 12 (Prayathai Road). They were heading to Watchaimongkol, Rama I road where Surachai's residence is.

Surachai and Krissana were members of an intellectual group that drew most of its support from university students and which backed the Red Shirts' call for Abhisit's govt to dissolve parliament."

The account then states that the three men drove to Soi Chula 12 where they were stopped at an army checkpoint. After getting calmly out of the car they were suddenly surrounded by a large group of up to 20 armed soldiers who began searching them.

"The soldiers seized their cameras and mobile phones and then tied their arms behind their backs. They were ordered to kneel down and face the wall."

While kneeling a soldier asked "do you know anything about the Red Shirt demonstration?" , "Who is the core Red Shirt guards?", "Where the weapons have been hidden?" The account also alleges that during this interrogation a group of soldiers were pointing guns to the heads of the three men at all times. In response to the questioning Mr. Krissana told the soldiers that he didn't have such information; he was just an ordinary citizen who joined and supported the Red Shirt demonstration.

It is at this point in the account that a masked Thai soldier appears and the questioning takes a decidedly sinister turn.

"Then, after Mr. Krissana said he didn't have such information another soldier with a black mask on came into the room. The soldier was threatening them by saying if they didn't tell the truth, he would start choking them. But the three men still insisted they didn't have such information. The soldier with the black mask on then started to choke them. Mr. Krissanna also added that the solider used two fingers to choke him and he felt he was struggling to stay conscious. The other two men were also choked, kicked and soldiers walked on their backs. This lasted about 45 minutes in total ...and the soldiers also video recorded everything during the interrogation."

The account goes on to state that another soldier then appeared who the other soldiers saluted as he walked in. Mr. Krissana assumed this soldier was a higher-ranking officer. The "higher-ranking" officer then soaked the bodies and faces of the three men in a liquid substance that Mr. Krissana assumed was either oil or petrol.

"After [the "higher-ranking" officer] finished, he stepped back from the three men about one metre away and then lit the lighter."

The account at this point makes very uncomfortable reading as it alleges that threats were then issued to the three men that they would be burned alive if they didn't provide information required by the soldiers.

Obviously fearing for their lives, the three men were then forced to sign a confession that they were engaged in violent acts. The account then states that weapons were then planted among the three mens' belongings.

On May 17, Mr. Krissana and Mr. Surachai, despite protesting their innocence in court, were sentenced to one years' imprisonment by the Patum Thani municipal court. They are currently incarcerated at Klong Prem Prison.

The fate of the minor remains unknown.

A full Thai version of this account is available here http://thailandsolid.../blog-post.html

Unquote

Is this friction available in paperback?

It's here:

Look in webfact's second post on that thread.

Ahh, I see now. That confirms my opinion that I think it's difficult to keep all the information sorted when so many new threads are started daily on the exact same topic, so I'll have to go have a read of that one as well.

Buchholz, evidence is not important.

Just like the 20 UDD bodies in 2009 weren't important. Everyone knows the army did it (although you may be wondering, like me... did what?).

Just like the evidence against the "murderous army"... who murdered armed insurgents in cold blood just because they were shooting RPGs at soldiers.

Just like the EVIDENCE that the UDD were killing their own. "Which side is Seh Daeng on?", said the third-row UDD supporter on camera.

Re UDD killing their own statement - Was this the interview given with the guy wearing the goggles and white head gear after the April 10th carnage?

Edited by Insight

By Andrew Spooner

:lol:

I seen three different "tweets" from the guy regarding this story yesterday. Reporting on the "atrocities" of the Thai military, live from London.

By Andrew Spooner

I seen three different "tweets" from the guy regarding this story yesterday. Reporting on the "atrocities" of the Thai military, live from London.

And here's the first indignant anti-red prepared to have a shot at this unsympathetic article. He's gone for the 'discredit the author' approach as was earlier predicted in this thread. It may have been easier to have a go at the actual sources of the story - the demonstrators themselves - or even the website it came from - a blog - but this is a seasoned anti-red obsessive with a keen eye for detail. No doubt he's leaving the low-hanging fruit to the more junior obsessives he hopes will join him in his prejudiced denial of anything that might challenge his ingrained views. Lets see if any come along. Stay tuned folks.....

Another example of media manipulation was story about the Interior Ministry (read Newin and Bhumjaithai) calling a counter meeting to the Red Shirt 19th September Rally. This story was printed in the other paper and reported upon on their morning TV show. Apparently this counter rally was going to attract 50,000 people. Despite a couple of requests for follow up info by myself and scanning of the media nothing more was said. Did it happen? I still don't know. BUT it planted in peoples minds that 50,000 people were going to be there and this at a time when a considerable amount of time and effort was being spent on downgrading the perceived numbers of people at the Red Shirt gathering. Coincidence?

NEWIN'S BIRTHDAY

Newin hints at Thaksin's role in assassination attempts

By The Nation

Newin Chidchob dropped a bombshell yesterday, hinting that fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was behind the reported assassination plans against important figures.

"There are a few people in this country who hate me and are angry with me, but there is only one person who can afford to hire somebody to harm me," Newin said without mentioning any name.

Newin was referring to the arrest on Sunday of 11 men suspected of involvement in a move to overthrow Thailand's revered monarchy and planning assassinations.

Newin said he had known about the training of the fighters for over two months and said he was among the assassination targets, the others being Premier Abhisit Vejjajiva, Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban, Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, and ex-Army chief Anupong Paochinda.

With tears in his eyes, the Bhum Jai Thai Party's de-facto leader begged Thaksin to stop harming Thailand.

"I'd like to implore you to think about the country's peace. If you really love Thailand, please stop and please use other means to make this country peaceful," Newin said.

"You are not living a miserable life abroad but Thai people are now living in difficulty because of what you are doing. So, I beg you to stop what you are doing if you really love Thailand."

Newin referred to the "you" who stayed abroad without mentioning the name. But when reporters asked him to clarify, Newin said "I don't need to explain. There's only person. I'm courageous enough to say that he is my ex-master."

He said Thaksin had announced his readiness to support the reconciliation process but he and his men were acting to the contrary.

Newin was speaking to reporters at his house in Buri Ram, where many provincial governors showed up to celebrate his 52nd birthday.

"I do not want to become a prime minister or take any political posts for the rest of my life. I promise never to return to politics, but I will do anything for the sake of this country," he said.

Meanwhile, Thaksin plans to file a lawsuit against Newin for accusing the ex-PM of being behind assassination attempts, the fugitive's personal legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said.

"Thaksin told me he never wanted to take revenge against Newin. I challenge Newin to show evidence that Thaksin was involved. I'm preparing to file a lawsuit against Newin for defama-tion," Noppadon said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-05

Here it is

Siam Voices blog

<snip>

The account then states that the three men drove to Soi Chula 12 where they were stopped at an army checkpoint. After getting calmly out of the car they were suddenly surrounded by a large group of up to 20 armed soldiers who began searching them.

"The soldiers seized their cameras and mobile phones and then tied their arms behind their backs. They were ordered to kneel down and face the wall."

<snip>

"Then, after Mr. Krissana said he didn't have such information another soldier with a black mask on came into the room.

<snip>

The "higher-ranking" officer then soaked the bodies and faces of the three men in a liquid substance that Mr. Krissana assumed was either oil or petrol.

<snip>

I'm wondering two things

1 ) How did they get from getting out of the car at a check point to "into the room".

2 ) Pouring petrol on someone usually causes serious problems without the need to light it. I assume they were taken to a hospital with breathing and other issues after the attack.

it will interesting to re-read this story in a year's time when Thaksin might be sitting down with his cheque book and saying to Newin 'So how much do you want for joining our coalition'?

Or more likely it will become obvious that someone really took a fancy to Nancy Drew detective stories.

Too much fantasy in some of the allegations from Mr. Newin and no supporting documentation or evidence.

Edited by geriatrickid

I'm preparing to file a lawsuit against Newin for defama-tion," Noppadon said.

Old habits eh.

Noppadon and Thaksin are so fixated on slapping defamation suits on anyone who even looks at them askew, I wouldn't be surprised if they slap defamation suits on their wives (or, in T's case, his ex-wife or g.f.) every time they say a disparaging word. I can picture it now, Noppadon pouring another glass of watered down whiskey, he tips the glass over, it spills on his trousers - his wife comments, "you oaf, can't you watch what you're doing?"

Noppadon responds, "That's it woman, I'm not an oaf, and I'll see you in court. My sterling reputation is besmirched by that remark, and I demand 10 million baht or a public apology. A Full page articulated apology, which you pay for, in each of Thailand's major newspapers.

And here's the first indignant anti-red prepared to have a shot at this unsympathetic article. He's gone for the 'discredit the author' approach as was earlier predicted in this thread. It may have been easier to have a go at the actual sources of the story - the demonstrators themselves - or even the website it came from - a blog - but this is a seasoned anti-red obsessive with a keen eye for detail. No doubt he's leaving the low-hanging fruit to the more junior obsessives he hopes will join him in his prejudiced denial of anything that might challenge his ingrained views. Lets see if any come along. Stay tuned folks.....

Yawn. (Apart from the "prejudiced denial of anything that might challenge his ingrained views" bit - lovely)

IMHO the credibility of this author is in serious doubt owing to the contrasts between his political views in Thailand back in the UK. Judging by his Twitter comments back he appears to be a bit of a socialist, repeatedly attacking the Con-Lib coalition. Nothing wrong with that; on the contrary I share many of his opinions. Yet, judging by his Thai-related comments, he appears to of completely fallen for the spiel of the red shirts and Phua Thai being a force in Thailand for socialism, when even a brief examination of the history of Phua Thai and Thai Rak Thai would reveal the only thing the parties have in common is their representation by the poor. There have been numerous incidents where TRT used underhand tactics to quell socialist-related protests during their reign, and even as recently as the weekend the protests of real Thai workers have remained distanced to the UDD's activities (Google "Urban poor rally at Govt House").

Owing to this ignorance of basic Thai political history I wince when Mr Spooner then decides to attack Bangkok-based ex-pats from his London base. I also can't help but wonder if he is really supporting the red shirts for his own political beliefs, or (more likely IMO) for the possibility of notoriety by publishing a sensationalist "scoop" similar to the one copied/pasted previously.

The cartoon on 2Bangkok.com has the likes of this "travel journalist" nailed...

post-5600-006567500 1286244822_thumb.jpg

Buchholz, evidence is not important.

Just like the 20 UDD bodies in 2009 weren't important. Everyone knows the army did it (although you may be wondering, like me... did what?).

Just like the evidence against the "murderous army"... who murdered armed insurgents in cold blood just because they were shooting RPGs at soldiers.

Just like the EVIDENCE that the UDD were killing their own. "Which side is Seh Daeng on?", said the third-row UDD supporter on camera.

Re UDD killing their own statement - Was this the interview given with the guy wearing the goggles and white head gear after the April 10th carnage?

I can't remember what he was wearing, but yes it was the 10 April and I think we are talking about the same guy.

It's very easy to predict the 'discredit the author' approach when you know in your heart of hearts that the author is not of credit.

it will interesting to re-read this story in a year's time when Thaksin might be sitting down with his cheque book and saying to Newin 'So how much do you want for joining our coalition'?

I like this one actually! Great post.

Edited by Pi Sek

Thaksin is a psychopath - no reason to doubt that he is capable of this.

And Newin is what? A man of integrity that has never lied or offered up a false claim to improve his political position?I do not doubt that Newin may think there is a plot afoot. With his inflated self importance, he most likely views himself as one of the the most important people in Thailand. If and when Newin gets wacked, chances are that it will be from one of his many political enemies that probably hates Thaksin as much as he does. IMO, Newin has stepped on enough Thai toes that there is a long line at the assassins counter.

I could care less about Newin. He's a douche just like Thaksin. Let em all fight it out Ultimate fighter style, last man standing wins.

Andrew Spooner is a known propaganda spewer (even if he isn't as bad as Tony Hedges and some other nutcases). He lives in the UK with **self-censor info** and knows more about what is going on on the ground than anyone that lives here.

He also supports the Labour party. That if anything should convince you he is a few sandwiches short of a pick-nick. ;)

Edited by TAWP