Thai Idioms

ChAoS87

If you want to use it in a positive way:

ข้างนอกขรุชระ ข้างในต๊ะติ๊งโหน่ง

khang nawk khru hkra hkang nai ta ting nong

can mean outside rough, inside likeable or beautiful.

Edited by LanxangBillybob

คบคนให้ดูหน้าซื้อผ้าให้ดูเนื้อ khob khon hai duu naa seu pha hai duu neua

Literally: "If you enter into a relationship with people, look at their face, if you buy cloth, look at its texture".

The idioms dictionary that I took this from explains this idiom as follows:

"จะพิจารณาคนหรือสิ่งใดสิ่งหนึ่งให้พิจารณาอย่างละเอียดรอบคอบ" In considering people or things, consider in detail and from all angles.

ผ้าขี้ริ้วห่อทอง Pha khi riw hoh thong

Literally: "Gold wrapped in rags"

Dictionary definition: คนมั่งมีแต่แต่งตัวซอมซ่อ

Rich people may dress shabbily.

In the interest of disclosure--both of the above are courtesy of KISO (Key informant/significant other) who dug through the idioms dictionary until she found them.cool.gif

Literally: "If you enter into a relationship with people, look at their face, if you buy cloth, look at its texture".

"จะพิจารณาคนหรือสิ่งใดสิ่งหนึ่งให้พิจารณาอย่างละเอียดรอบคอบ" In considering people or things, consider in detail and from all angles.

In the interest of disclosure--both of the above are courtesy of KISO (Key informant/significant other) who dug through the idioms dictionary until she found them.cool.gif

Edited by Delight

A question for MikenYork

Does your post accurately reflect the true meaning of the original idiom ie

''don't determine the worth of something based on its appearance''

Just curious

[/url]

Dear Delight: I'm glad I disclosed in the first instance that the source of this information was a native speaker. All I can tell you is that my explanation of the English idiom (which is essentially identical to what you have written above) elicits from her a confirmation that indeed the ผ้าขี้ริ้วห่อทอง is an equivalent expression. It would be good to get one more confirmation from another เจ้าของภาษา but I think we're on pretty safe ground.

Dear Delight: I'm glad I disclosed in the first instance that the source of this information was a native speaker. All I can tell you is that my explanation of the English idiom (which is essentially identical to what you have written above) elicits from her a confirmation that indeed the ผ้าขี้ริ้วห่อทอง is an equivalent expression. It would be good to get one more confirmation from another เจ้าของภาษา but I think we're on pretty safe ground.

Dear Mikenyork

Thanks for your response

It's the concept of 'judgment' that I struggle to find in all the posts (particularly mine-which I obtained from my better half)

Can you enlighten?

If KISO's take on the overall meaning of the saying is correct, then judgement is implied---the English phrase is urging careful consideration before action and I think the Thai phrases (both the one about taking a careful look before making a decision and this one) imply the same thing.

Would still like to get one or more of the native speakers who follow this forum to comment on this, though.