Uk Tourist Visa

Hi Im looking at applying for a UK tourist visa for my thai GF. We have been together 12 months , and I have been to Thailand for 7 months in the last 12. So proving the relationship is not a problem. I have a UK company that I live off in Thailand its not massive amounts of money. I have savings of around £6000. My girlfriend has worked for hotels for around 5 years and can prove her work history. I own a house in the UK but this is a joint mortgage with my ex partner, due to the credit crunch I have been unwilling and unable to sell. We are wanting to move to the UK , as I can earn much more money when Im back there. I do not reeieve a salary in the UK but can provide a certified letter from my accountant as to my earnings. She can get a letter from work saying she has a job to return to. What would be the situation if she wanted to stay longer than the month , ie if she is already in the country.

With regards to place to stay my brother can provide an offer to stay or would it be best to provide proof of my home address ? My ex GF in the UK we are on good terms so getting things to prove are not a problem.

Any help on this matter would be most grateful

Everything seems in order but prepare yourself for disapointment, its not just as plain and simple as you think, i was with my thai gf for two years before we got married and applied for a visa which was a nightmare extra bank statements required photos from the last 3 years etc etc etc, get some advise from an agent before you apply, as if youre refused you do not get any money back from the Embassy. Good luck!! :thumbsup:

Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong. You say that your girlfriend has a job in Thailand, and can get a letter to prove it ( presumably to show that she has leave to go to UK as a visitor ? ). Then you say that you both want to live in the UK now. Then you ask what will happen if she stays longer than the one month she applies for. Is the idea for her to actually stay in the UK ? Surely she will lose her job if she doesn't return to Thailand ? At the moment this is not sounding like a genuine visit application.

she wants to visit for a month, at xmas , my intention is to return to the UK , naturally eventually she might want to settle there , but she will be returning within the time period she has off work , whats wrong with this ?

With respect, that's not what you said. You said:

" What would be the situation if she wanted to stay longer than the month , ie if she is already in the country."

That is what I was questioning.

she wants to visit for a month, at xmas , my intention is to return to the UK , naturally eventually she might want to settle there , but she will be returning within the time period she has off work , whats wrong with this ?

" What would be the situation if she wanted to stay longer than the month , ie if she is already in the country."

Sorry If this was misleading as you can see totally new to this, just wanted some advice. What I meant is after she returns to work what is the next option after this ? The long term is that she wants to try living in the UK , I want her there as well, but I want to do it the right way , sorry if I confused the matter

, I have looked at other posts on here and to be fair its not totally clear to me

Make sure you are clear on your application as anything not adding up to the imigration officer will result in an application refusal. I think you need to understand that the slightest thing not in order will result in a fail, it is getting more difficult by the day to get visas granted even for married Thais. if the officer thinks that there is a slight chance the gf will not return her passport will get a stamp at the back blacklisting her which will make any other applications even more unlikley.

Sorry If this was misleading as you can see totally new to this, just wanted some advice. What I meant is after she returns to work what is the next option after this ? The long term is that she wants to try living in the UK , I want her there as well, but I want to do it the right way , sorry if I confused the matter

, I have looked at other posts on here and to be fair its not totally clear to me

So, she has her holiday. Likes UK and likes you. Put simply, you "develop the relationship". Take time over this and remember the maxim, 'act in haste, repent at leisure'.

If things are still okay, you can either get married here and a settlement visa. Or, a visa to marry back in UK, and settle there.

Be a thoughtful husband if you intend to marry this girl. Marry here, then her family will have the pleasure of seeing their daughter married. I do think it's 'bad form' when a foreigner insists on marrying a Thai spouse overseas - it robs the family of a major event in their daughter's life........unless you want to ship them all to UK for the ceremony, of course!

As a bloke married to a Thai who got a 6-month UK visit visa the first time and a 2-year UK visit visa the second time without any need for interviews, more bank statements, more pictures, etc.., make sure that her application and your letter of support only comment on the reason for the CURRENT 1-month visit. Don't mention future plans and what-if scenarios. If the letter from her employer states she is allowed off for xx weeks, make sure that her application asks for the same xx weeks and your letter of support says the same. The visa is going to be approved primarily on strong evidence that she won't overstay and will return to Thailand. I would NOT mention anything about future hopes to relocate to the UK at this juncture.

If you chose to use your brother's place as the primary abode rather than your own, the letter from your brother needs to include the amount of years he has lived there, if he's the home-owner or tenant and what he does for a living. It's your call on whether to use his or your own home as the stated primary place of her temporary residence. If he has more years under the same roof or if there's any doubt that the existing co-ownership of your own gaff with your common-law former partner may be seen as less secure, then I would go with your brothers place. There's been some posts recently regarding extra proof of the ownership of stated residence. If you can get pictures of the house, there's no harm in adding that to the application (google streetview is good for that... if it's on the street).

Good luck.

As a bloke married to a Thai who got a 6-month UK visit visa the first time and a 2-year UK visit visa the second time without any need for interviews, more bank statements, more pictures, etc.., make sure that her application and your letter of support only comment on the reason for the CURRENT 1-month visit. Don't mention future plans and what-if scenarios. If the letter from her employer states she is allowed off for xx weeks, make sure that her application asks for the same xx weeks and your letter of support says the same. The visa is going to be approved primarily on strong evidence that she won't overstay and will return to Thailand. I would NOT mention anything about future hopes to relocate to the UK at this juncture.

I find this a curious post.

The main reason that my GF put for coming to the UK on her visitor visa was to get to know the country and my family better as we plan to marry and settle here in the next couple of years.

Indeed one of the reasons she has to return is our solid plans for the future.

She is being 100% honest and I felt ommiting out future plans would leave gaps in her application. Why else would you wish to spend 6 months in a strange country unless you had a desire to come here?

OK, so you opted for the honest approach. Did she get the visa? How many visa applications are discounted because someone thinks that their mutual love or at least a trusting relationship is so obvious?

If your girl did get her visa, then you made a bullet-proof case with all your documentation supporting that contention. That's my point and you have helped make it. Stay focussed on the INITIAL application and making sure that all forms, letters and statements 'play the same tune'.

The OP's assumption that "proving the relationship is not a problem" based on 210 days of knowing each other indicates that he's still looking at the application from their point-of-view which may well be based on a real solid relationship. However, they need to make sure the BASIC assurance to the visa people that his girlfriend will indeed return on time this time should not be lost. The clarification on the original question about her staying longer has been somewhat explained although the ie if she is already in the country bit still hints at not really focusing on a FIXED plan for THIS visit visa application.

Once the visa is issued, the first trip made in compliance with the terms, then I think that subsequent visa applications can contain more... how do I say this, emotional motivation?

OK, so you opted for the honest approach. Did she get the visa? How many visa applications are discounted because someone thinks that their mutual love or at least a trusting relationship is so obvious?

If your girl did get her visa, then you made a bullet-proof case with all your documentation supporting that contention. That's my point and you have helped make it. Stay focussed on the INITIAL application and making sure that all forms, letters and statements 'play the same tune'.

The OP's assumption that "proving the relationship is not a problem" based on 210 days of knowing each other indicates that he's still looking at the application from their point-of-view which may well be based on a real solid relationship. However, they need to make sure the BASIC assurance to the visa people that his girlfriend will indeed return on time this time should not be lost. The clarification on the original question about her staying longer has been somewhat explained although the ie if she is already in the country bit still hints at not really focusing on a FIXED plan for THIS visit visa application.

Once the visa is issued, the first trip made in compliance with the terms, then I think that subsequent visa applications can contain more... how do I say this, emotional motivation?

She hasn't submitted her application as yet, she will do it next week...

The last time we did an application we had only known each other a couple of months and were able to get a 6 month UK visitor visa. We were entirely honest though and I was extremely meticulous when pulling together the documentation for her.

She is in a different situaion this time though, she has now graduated from her Uni so has NO real reason to return other than ownership of a car and some land. Because of this we need to focus on strength of relationship and past adherence to visa regulations, she has been travelling in Australia recently so I have also focused on this, ie the fact she complied fully with the rules there also. Our plans for the future are paramount in her case so I needed to mention them.

I do see your point though, honesty is the best policy, the UKBA or whoever can smell a rat a mile off, they must see 100's of applications a week. Instinct must play a major part.

I am by no means an expert on this subject though so I find feedback of any sort extremely valuable.

OK, so you opted for the honest approach.

What other approach is there when you apply for a visa?

I cannot tell the number of people that fall over backward and scream at the British Embassy, after they have made an application for a visa, that was not quite the truth and then got refused.

TELL THE TRUTH. It can only help you! Lying is putting yourself into the refusal bracket straight up.

The British Embassy is only interested in giving you a visa, as long as you conform to the parameters they have presented. If you can't conform then get yourself in conformance and apply again.

BB

Indeed, the honest approach is the only approach! If the purpose of the visit is to see the UK and develop the relationship with ones UK resident boy/girlfriend, then this is what one should say.

One may get away with hiding relevant facts a few times, but in the end there is a good chance that doing so will come back to bite one on the bum!

aonangmatt, your girlfriend will need to show that, on the balance of probabilities, she satisfies the requirements for a visit visa. This basically boils down to four things.

1) She is a genuine visitor with a genuine reason to visit. Seeing how she likes the UK, meeting your family, developing the relationship with you etc. are fine for this.

2) She will be adequately accommodated during her visit. Whether to stay with your ex or your brother is up to you. Whoever is providing the accommodation should provide details of the property to show that there is room for her, sharing a room with you is fine. They should also show that they can offer said accommodation; proof of ownership such as a mortgage statement or a landlord's letter if they rent.

3) There is adequate finance for the visit. This can come from her resources, yours, a third party(ies) or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing to the cost of the visit should provide evidence of their ability to do so.

4) She will return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, when or before her visa expires. A letter from her employer confirming that she works for them and that she has been given a leave of absence for the duration of her visit is obviously going to help here. However, I know several people who have obtained visit visas for their girlfriend when the applicant has had no job and no other concrete reason to return; A trawl through this forum's archives will show that this is not uncommon.

In your sponsor's letter you should give a brief description of your relationship so far, the reason for her visit at this time and what your future plans are together.

See also the supporting documents checklist and for where and how to apply, the UKVAC.