Whats Hua Hin Like To Live ?

SausageKing

Well, for my two cents worth;

I've spent a lot of time in Thailand since the early '80s, including Issan (Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Mugdahan, Chiang Khan), Koh Samui, Pattaya, Phuket, Krabi, Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi, Bangkok and Hua Hin. While no place is perfect, every one has it pluses and minuses. The south and Islands have the best beaches and scuba diving. Parts of Issan and the north have a little more moderate climate. Bangkok, Pattaya, or Samui may be better for the young single hard partying type, but for a quieter more normal life for families or an older married couple no place I've been beats Hua Hin. For a town of around 80,000 people it has an incredible variety of places to eat, among which are all types of food from around the world and at all price points. While the Market Village Mall is not like the big Bangkok malls, it has all the necessities (that we had to drive to Bangkok for five years ago) and now there are four large grocery outlets in town with two more twenty minutes south in Pranburi as opposed to two local type Thai supermarkets a few years ago (then, we used to drive 45 minutes north just to go to a Big C!). If you are a golfer there are a dozen courses within 45 minutes from the center of town and as someone else pointed out, there is a celebration or festival every month.

It's not perfect for everyone, but for me (I'm well past the heavy drinking and hanging out in bars stage of my life) it's the best I've found in Thailand.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...lets be honest HH is not a 2hr drive from bkk more like 3 hrs to sukamvit.

I spend one weekend per month in HH, and on average the drive takes me 2 hours. Sometimes the late Sunday afternoon drive back to Sukhumvit takes me 2.5 hours. Since the improvements in the road at Petchaburi were completed in the last year, it's no longer a 3 hour drive.

...lets be honest HH is not a 2hr drive from bkk more like 3 hrs to sukamvit.

I spend one weekend per month in HH, and on average the drive takes me 2 hours. Sometimes the late Sunday afternoon drive back to Sukhumvit takes me 2.5 hours. Since the improvements in the road at Petchaburi were completed in the last year, it's no longer a 3 hour drive.

Correct, it is only 2 hours to Victory Monument, and now the minibuses go also to South Terminal and Chata Chuk.....I cant understand that guys are saying HH hasnt any nightlife, there are a hundred bars or more to go to and some that are open till 8am with a great atmosphere and cheap drinks....Samui really dosnt offer much of a nightlife anymore and Phuket is so expensive and has constant stabbings, shootings and beatings it just isnt safe to go out like you can in Hua Hin...still all to their own.....I have seen many people on here rave about Sihanoukville in Cambodia but a recent trip and I found although it has a few beach bars with music it really wouldnt be worth staying there longer than a week as again you are so far from anywhere else.

I've had plenty of fun for a single guy in HH and I've been to bars all over thailand and a go gos including the "underground party" types in bangkok with the so called "vip hot bargirls" . And I had just as good time in HH if not better.

I guess it depends on the "single guy" though big difference between a good looking guy in his early 20s and a 50 year old fat guy.. Maybe in more tourists areas like Pattaya etc they are more desperate for any customers, HH is quite relaxed and not as bad. And anyway, BKK is a 2hr drive away, and Pattaya another hr, hardly a big deal to piss off there for a dirty weekend and come back to a nice house in HH.

Edited by sam666

:clap2:

I moved here 6 months ago. I made a very bad mistake.

I have lived in Thailand for several years and this is the most uninspired I have ever been. Its a boring 'one trick pony' town with very little to do. Sure, a certain revered person lives here but that is of no use to me... And as for the sodding relentless references to the train station, can someone please tell me what I am missing? Every street has some type of half arsed reference to the train station and market stalls everywhere sell crap t shirts and souveneres celebrating this building. It was one of the first places I checked out and as far as I can determine, its a very colourfull shed smaller than my house. And therin lies a glaring hint: Any place that boasts a train station and a palace which no one has ever seen must surely be avoided.

Restaurants: for the most part they are the same as everywhere else in Thailand. Thats not a bad thing of course, but there is nothing here that should be boasted about on a grand scale. The one good thing is the tourist market area that has some nice fish restaurants. You need to eat a lot of fish.

Bars: Rubbish. Soi Bintaban and area is the main place for bars. Out of maybe 100 bars there is possibly two that have made anything close to an effort. The rest of them are very basic beer bars with crap furniture and very, very, very ugly women, retired SAS captains and active MI5 spies. If anyone reading this has been to the bar area of Udon Thani, picture that scene basicly. I once posted about this before and got attacked for having little do do in life aside from wanting a nice bar. The fact is I am a single bloke. If I had a Mrs and kids, I would be pretty content to do other stuff but I am not. So when I am not working, it would be nice just a few nights a week to hang around in a bar with some good looking women and some sound blokes to have a laugh with. I have scoured Hua Hin and have found nothing even close. Someone recently suggested a place called Johnny Walkers whcih I gues I will check out but Im not holding any hope.

Aside from Bintaban, there are many ex pat bars dotted around the city but they are pretty dead. They mainly consist of townhouses with a shop front that some retired bloke has converted into a 'bar' to serve chang to his mates. I have been to a couple. Bobbys springs to mind as does Bob and Noks. Im sure you all know someone back home who has put a small formica covered bar in there garage in order to escape the nagging Mrs? Picture that but include a few retired blokes with very old jokes and boring golf anicdotes.

Disco: Hilton for Ferangs. The band is ok for a laugh but its expensive and full of old blokes either dancing like your drunken dad at a wedding or standing motionless, waiting for a freelancer to talk to them.

Ex-pats: Old. And a fair shair of pretty full on criminals. Check out Andrew Drumonds site for worryingly regular updates on retired crims who have just beat the crap out of some guy over a disputed land and house deal.

Land and House: Expensive to buy or rent.

Beach: I have a real issue with the main HH beach. Litteraly every couple of minutes you see a washed up jelly fish and the rubbish can often be out of control. What is it with Roi Haa Sip and Red Bull bottles littering the beach? Samui, Phuket, Krabi etc have nice beaches but more importantly, they are fun. They are actualy frequented by people who sunbathe, chill out, throw a frisby, float on a lilo...... HH beaches have none of this. You may see the occasional couple strolling along but realy they are baron. And I dont mean baron in an idilic way I mean baron in a 'no one wants to go there' way.

Locals: To me, they seem jaded with ferangs. I dont mean rude i just mean... Jaded. Indiferent. Cant be bothered.

Shopping: Market Village. I dont get it. The place looks amazing from the outside and its glitzy inside but what is there to actualy buy? I mean realy - answer that for me. What is there in this place that offers anything even close to say, Siam Paragon in BKK? It looks like Paragon. Its not that much smaller than Paragon. Its raved about like it is Paragon. But once inside it offers little. A Kodac shop. A Homebase. lots of clothes shops geared mainly in my opinion towards Thais. A KFC. A Sizzlers. This is No Lincoln Avenue or Oxford Street so please everyone, stop raving about it like it is just that.

Villa supermarket is ok if you need ferang food but expect to pay double the price of Foodland in BKK.

Maybe I am just tired of Thailand. I dont know.... I still think Samui and Phuket offers more and I am very seriously thinking about moving there. For me, it hasnt worked out.

Please dont bash me for this. Its my opinion and I am entitled to it.

spot on ;):clap2::intheclub::intheclub:

:jap: Thankyou for taking the time 'HuaHinFool" excellent long post, must agree 100%, about time we had some correct and informative information, please post more. :rolleyes:

I have a house here, nice place to chill, would hate to be single here, as you would spend an awfull long time looking for some quality girlie's, they are here. not many in the bars but freelancers show up sometime's.

If you dont mind being on your own its beer and pool, thats it, can have a laugh and a chat, and go home and watch a movie or some sport.

I have lived in Thailand for several years and this is the most uninspired I have ever been. Its a boring 'one trick pony' town with very little to do. Sure, a certain revered person lives here but that is of no use to me... And as for the sodding relentless references to the train station, can someone please tell me what I am missing? Every street has some type of half arsed reference to the train station and market stalls everywhere sell crap t shirts and souveneres celebrating this building. It was one of the first places I checked out and as far as I can determine, its a very colourfull shed smaller than my house. And therin lies a glaring hint: Any place that boasts a train station and a palace which no one has ever seen must surely be avoided.

Restaurants: for the most part they are the same as everywhere else in Thailand. Thats not a bad thing of course, but there is nothing here that should be boasted about on a grand scale. The one good thing is the tourist market area that has some nice fish restaurants. You need to eat a lot of fish.

Bars: Rubbish. Soi Bintaban and area is the main place for bars. Out of maybe 100 bars there is possibly two that have made anything close to an effort. The rest of them are very basic beer bars with crap furniture and very, very, very ugly women, retired SAS captains and active MI5 spies. If anyone reading this has been to the bar area of Udon Thani, picture that scene basicly. I once posted about this before and got attacked for having little do do in life aside from wanting a nice bar. The fact is I am a single bloke. If I had a Mrs and kids, I would be pretty content to do other stuff but I am not. So when I am not working, it would be nice just a few nights a week to hang around in a bar with some good looking women and some sound blokes to have a laugh with. I have scoured Hua Hin and have found nothing even close. Someone recently suggested a place called Johnny Walkers whcih I gues I will check out but Im not holding any hope.

Aside from Bintaban, there are many ex pat bars dotted around the city but they are pretty dead. They mainly consist of townhouses with a shop front that some retired bloke has converted into a 'bar' to serve chang to his mates. I have been to a couple. Bobbys springs to mind as does Bob and Noks. Im sure you all know someone back home who has put a small formica covered bar in there garage in order to escape the nagging Mrs? Picture that but include a few retired blokes with very old jokes and boring golf anicdotes.

Disco: Hilton for Ferangs. The band is ok for a laugh but its expensive and full of old blokes either dancing like your drunken dad at a wedding or standing motionless, waiting for a freelancer to talk to them.

Ex-pats: Old. And a fair shair of pretty full on criminals. Check out Andrew Drumonds site for worryingly regular updates on retired crims who have just beat the crap out of some guy over a disputed land and house deal.

Beach: I have a real issue with the main HH beach. Litteraly every couple of minutes you see a washed up jelly fish and the rubbish can often be out of control. What is it with Roi Haa Sip and Red Bull bottles littering the beach? Samui, Phuket, Krabi etc have nice beaches but more importantly, they are fun. They are actualy frequented by people who sunbathe, chill out, throw a frisby, float on a lilo...... HH beaches have none of this. You may see the occasional couple strolling along but realy they are baron. And I dont mean baron in an idilic way I mean baron in a 'no one wants to go there' way.

Locals: To me, they seem jaded with ferangs. I dont mean rude i just mean... Jaded. Indiferent. Cant be bothered.

Shopping: Market Village. I dont get it. The place looks amazing from the outside and its glitzy inside but what is there to actualy buy? I mean realy - answer that for me. What is there in this place that offers anything even close to say, Siam Paragon in BKK? It looks like Paragon. Its not that much smaller than Paragon. Its raved about like it is Paragon. But once inside it offers little. A Kodac shop. A Homebase. lots of clothes shops geared mainly in my opinion towards Thais. A KFC. A Sizzlers. This is No Lincoln Avenue or Oxford Street so please everyone, stop raving about it like it is just that.

Villa supermarket is ok if you need ferang food but expect to pay double the price of Foodland in BKK.

Maybe I am just tired of Thailand. I dont know.... I still think Samui and Phuket offers more and I am very seriously thinking about moving there. For me, it hasnt worked out.

:jap: Thankyou for taking the time 'HuaHinFool" excellent long post, must agree 100%, about time we had some correct and informative information, please post more. :rolleyes:

I have a house here, nice place to chill, would hate to be single here, as you would spend an awfull long time looking for some quality girlie's, they are here. not many in the bars but freelancers show up sometime's.

If you dont mind being on your own its beer and pool, thats it, can have a laugh and a chat, and go home and watch a movie or some sport.

Top Chareon have many branches around the Hua Hin area and are reasonbly priced for bifocals, maybe once you have purchased some you would be able to see the many beautiful girls that live in Hua Hin:lol: :lol: :lol:

The fact is I am a single bloke.

Yeah it's spot on FOR A SINGLE BLOKE & no disrespect to HHF, but who in their right mind, AS A SINGLE BLOKE, would spend any time in HH at all ??

I know i certainly wouldn't..

Its nice to see some people happy living here, realy it is.

Im running out of ideas.... Pattaya is too full on for me and I would be dead in 2 months if I lived there. Bangkok no good as I work from home and would be stuck in a condo all week. The provinces are too quiet and now everyone seems to think Samui and Phuket are <deleted> also. I have no clue of my next move its driving me nuts.

I know exactly what you're saying..:D

I've said it a few times but i'm REALLY glad i had the little one as she has clamed me down massively you know & now, i'm all for places like HH obviously, for her to grow up in as opposed to elsewhere..

Pattaya i think is doable, hoenstly, you don't have to live right in amongst it..

I was tehre a couple of weekends ago & stayed at a Pal's place which was about 10/15 mins outside of Pattaya ( on a Bike too ) & was gorgeous..

Lovely little bungelow, on a nice Complex, wireless internet, Garden & was the sort of place that wouldn't kill you in 2 months if you know what i mean..

That's what i mean anyway, you don't have to be right there " in it " where Pattaya is concerned..

I was also recently on Samui too ( think i wrote about it earlier in the thread maybe ) & it was a Ghost Town, certainly where Nightlife was concerned anyway..I've never seen it like that..

I wouldn't advise anyone to go to Samui personally, i left there 3 montsh ago but didn't fall out of love with teh Island itself as it still holds a little place in my heart bbut i fell out of love with a lot of other things there, especially the people, both Thai & Farang..

I'd say have a real look at Pattaya & the surrounding areas judging by what you're saying..;)

Edited : Because my fingers don't go as fast as my Brain does..

Edited by MSingh

Suitable only for those who are in their 40s or older, and with a partner or family. Not suitable for singles, backpackers, and guys looking for Pattaya type of fun.

^

Yes and that is the way we want to keep it.

You will not read me talking up Hh because I want to live there in a couple of years. I like it just the way it is. It seems to me it is the most family oriented city south of Pit'lok.

Lived there for around 5 months at the end of last year and didn't like it.

Didn't really feel comfortable with the locals. Sensed a hostility from a few of them that I've never experienced anywhere else in Thailand (previously lived in CM and BKK).

I have been here for the past 7 months and I'm moving on further south at the end of the month, but this description just about sums it up for me also just to add if you want to swim, snorkel or scuba this part of Thailand is not for you when you can see through the water ( rarely ) it's all too often jellyfish infested ... sorry Hua Hin but there you go.

Edited by kmj

Singhy has arrived......run for your lives! :D

Could do a lot worse than me turning up in your City, just look in the Football Forum for proof of that..:D

Ha Ha you right their. whats its like for buying western food in Hua Hin. Rob.

whats its like for buying western food in Hua Hin. Rob.

While a few years ago it was limited, it is virtually unlimited now. There is every kind of restaurant I can think of and with Villa Market here now there are the same imported foods you get in Bangkok or Pattaya. The only limit is your imagination and the contents of your wallet! :)

Besides the beaches, what's the area like for outdoor exercise resources - Hiking, dirt road or single track mountain biking, public swimming pools (25 to 50 meters)? And what about weight training gyms? Thanks, don

Besides the beaches, what's the area like for outdoor exercise resources - Hiking, dirt road or single track mountain biking, public swimming pools (25 to 50 meters)? And what about weight training gyms? Thanks, don

Don, if you can handle the heat there are lots of places to hike and bike. There are local chapters of the Hash House Harriers (both hiking and biking) if you want to join a group, but there are also several national parks in the area with hiking and plenty of open areas and dirt roads around the edge of town for mountain biking. There are some condos that open their pools to the public for a small fee and there are five weight training gyms that I know of.

Don, if you can handle the heat there are lots of places to hike and bike. There are local chapters of the Hash House Harriers (both hiking and biking) if you want to join a group, but there are also several national parks in the area with hiking and plenty of open areas and dirt roads around the edge of town for mountain biking. There are some condos that open their pools to the public for a small fee and there are five weight training gyms that I know of.

Sounds good. I'm kind of spoiled here in suburban Chiang Mai, lg 2 bdrm hse for 6,000, hills, trails, swimming and gym withing easy cycling distance, cool in the early morning when I like to get outdoors, but now the wife wants to move closer to Bangkok where she's from and where her daughter is living and working. and I don't want to live in the big city. We'll come down next month and check it out, thanks for the tips.

Edited by drtreelove

Just slightly off topic....... Can anyone tell me why 'The Dolphin Bar' has a large advert in one of the local rags? It boasts 'Hua Hins only Brunswick Table' and 'Outdoor swimming pool". I spent half an hour trying to find the sodding place on the map provided. I am certain - I mean really certain - that this is some kind of joke that the local rag have pulled. A stitch up just for fun. It must be. If it is - you got me good and I fell for it. When I eventualy found the place it turns out to be a tiny run down bar on a run down residential Thai soi about the size of my arse. No Brunswick that I could see and definatley no swimming pool. Im being serious when I ask this..... Was this some type of wind up? There was a random Thai woman hovering around and when I asked her if there was a swimming pool there, she looked at me like I just asked her the square root of nine.

Went to the beach this morning. Im guessing the garbage disposal guys must be on strike at the moment and the locals have decided to use the beach to empty there rubbish which includes, but is not limited to: energy drink bottles, plastic bags, nappies and empty food packets. It is surely a question of time before you will see the occasional broken washing machine or stained mattress down there.

I took a stroll around Bintaban on Saturday night. I seen some Nordic guys in sleevless Chang/Red Bull/Singah shirts having a brawl and got followed around some dive of a bar by a drunk midget bar girl with extraordinary teeth whos only English was seemingly 'you buy me drink'.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. This place sucks.

And before you ask again yes, I am leaving. Soon.

HuaHinFool,

If you want to be a tourist, there are other areas in Thailand that are better. I don't go to the tourist areas, bars in the Bintabaht area, restaurants in the Hilton area, or the main Hua Hin beach. Yes, if you hang out in those areas you are a tourist and should expect to run into same and pay the prices of same and see the rubbish left behind by same. Last weekend was a three day holiday and I suspect that's why the beach was so trashed. Thais do that, not foreigners mostly.

I go to the restaurants on the edges of town and lesser known sois and areas away from the tourists and the beach south of Takiab mountain and have a very pleasant existence here for a settled married golfer.

It works for some people but it is not for everyone; nor is Thailand in general.

HuaHinFool,

If you want to be a tourist, there are other areas in Thailand that are better. I don't go to the tourist areas, bars in the Bintabaht area, restaurants in the Hilton area, or the main Hua Hin beach. Yes, if you hang out in those areas you are a tourist and should expect to run into same and pay the prices of same and see the rubbish left behind by same. Last weekend was a three day holiday and I suspect that's why the beach was so trashed. Thais do that, not foreigners mostly.

I go to the restaurants on the edges of town and lesser known sois and areas away from the tourists and the beach south of Takiab mountain and have a very pleasant existence here for a settled married golfer.

It works for some people but it is not for everyone; nor is Thailand in general.

Hi. I'm not realy sure what you mean by "if you want to be a tourist". I have lived in Thailand for a very long time, probably longer tan many people who post here. I dont 'feel' like a tourist because Thailand is my home and has been for a long time. I speak the language reaonably well, respect the culture and love the country. My only gripe is with Hua Hin. On the face of it it seemed like an ideal relocation but it hasnt worked out for the reasons I have said. My point is that aside from the tourist areas (which are bad enough anyway) I honestly cant find any areas where there are interesting places to hang out, chew the fat, play some pool and eat some nice grub.

Another poster seems to think my life is rather pathetic if thats all I want out of life. Well, it isnt..... I do other stuff away from HH. Its just that when I am here, I get bored. And I spend most of my time here. I honestly cant see the attraction with the place. You mentioned the three day holiday..... Come on buddy that beach is always naff.

Can I also just say - I have said on this thread a few times that this is a great place to live for many people and if you like it here, good for you. Thats great. It never fails to amaze me on this forum how people have a go at me for NOT liking it here. Its not my fault - it does not make me a dick_head - I just dont dig it. But look at Jhonny K's post below.... "Save time, leave now". In other words, 'bugger off'. Why the shitty attitude from some people? If I dont like it here, that does not make me an arse_hole does it?

Just slightly off topic....... Can anyone tell me why 'The Dolphin Bar' has a large advert in one of the local rags? It boasts 'Hua Hins only Brunswick Table' and 'Outdoor swimming pool". I spent half an hour trying to find the sodding place on the map provided. I am certain - I mean really certain - that this is some kind of joke that the local rag have pulled. A stitch up just for fun. It must be. If it is - you got me good and I fell for it. When I eventualy found the place it turns out to be a tiny run down bar on a run down residential Thai soi about the size of my arse. No Brunswick that I could see and definatley no swimming pool. Im being serious when I ask this..... Was this some type of wind up? There was a random Thai woman hovering around and when I asked her if there was a swimming pool there, she looked at me like I just asked her the square root of nine.

Went to the beach this morning. Im guessing the garbage disposal guys must be on strike at the moment and the locals have decided to use the beach to empty there rubbish which includes, but is not limited to: energy drink bottles, plastic bags, nappies and empty food packets. It is surely a question of time before you will see the occasional broken washing machine or stained mattress down there.

I took a stroll around Bintaban on Saturday night. I seen some Nordic guys in sleevless Chang/Red Bull/Singah shirts having a brawl and got followed around some dive of a bar by a drunk midget bar girl with extraordinary teeth whos only English was seemingly 'you buy me drink'.

You have been offered plenty of places of interest to visit but you still just take a wonder Bintaban lets just hope you dont need to give 6 months notice befor you depart

You have been offered plenty of places of interest to visit but you still just take a wonder Bintaban lets just hope you dont need to give 6 months notice befor you depart

Typical reply there from another old grumpy hua hin ex-pat. I have not been offered pleny of places to visit at all. A couple of suggestions but to suggest 'plenty' would be slightly retarded.

Its truly pathetic how people get personal on this forum. "Lets hope you dont have to give 6 months notice" why do you say that? You want me to leave this place as quickly as possible despite the fact we have never met and you dont know me? Mate you can stick Hua Hin right up your a hole. I hope you choke on the place with your fellow old age pensioners.

Typical reply there from another old grumpy hua hin ex-pat. I have not been offered pleny of places to visit at all. A couple of suggestions but to suggest 'plenty' would be slightly retarded.

Its truly pathetic how people get personal on this forum. "Lets hope you dont have to give 6 months notice" why do you say that? You want me to leave this place as quickly as possible despite the fact we have never met and you dont know me? Mate you can stick Hua Hin right up your a hole. I hope you choke on the place with your fellow old age pensioners.

For YOUR sanity lets hope you dont have to give 6 months notice as you seem so unhappy here, nout to do with being a grumpy OAP......and yes I am fully retarded, I starting claiming my pension 3 years ago.

Ok HuaHinFool, I meant no disrespect by the tourist remark. It just sounded from some of your posts that you were living here a while but never got out of the tourist areas. I have been here six years and beyond the first year I have never gone into the tourist areas. They are what they are, geared in price and attitude towards tourists.

Tell us your interests and I'm sure we can make some specific suggestions that maybe you haven't tried, especially out of the tourist area restaurants (what are your favorite kinds of foods), night spots, recreational, and daytime activities.

I admit that I too was unhappy here for a while, but that's because I was trying to make Hua Hin (and Thailand) into something it was not and I didn't bother to explore and get away from the tourists. Now I've settled in, explored all of Hua Hin, explored every corner of Thailand for a better place to live and for me this is the best.

I have lived in Thailand for a very long time, probably longer tan many people who post here.

Hang on a minute, it's either one or the other here..

You have either done whta you say above, yet earlier in teh thread you say you want to sit in a Bar with some good looking Women ??? :ermm:

It's either one or the other, not both ??

I don't know any Man here that has been here for 5 plus Years that still enjoys the " Women Bars " here & i don't think anyone who has been here the amount of time that you're claiming to be, would do....

I think for some reason unbeknown to me & looking at your Posts espcially the one where you start all over again about this place at the top of Page 3, that you are on a wind up..

Edit : Let's get somethign right, Hua Hin is one of, if not THE best place to live in Thailand..I have been in Thailand for 7 Years & have come to that conclusion & i know MANY others who feel the same, for so many reasons.

Edited by MSingh