Chiang Mai Pleads For Help As Tourist 'High Season' Seem Very Slow

george

Well I can't speak for others, but as far as Australians go, the Australian government is still warning travellers "to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand due to the high threat of terrorist attack and the possibility of further violent civil unrest."

It even mentions Chiang Mai - " In September 2010, a number of small explosive device attacks occurred in Chiang Mai."

At the moment the Australian dollar is very strong, so tourists can get more baht for their money.

So, it's the political climate that's keeping Aussies away, nothing else.

With an economy so dependent on tourism, it's about time Thais woke up to the damage THEY are inflicting on themselves by resorting to bombing, etc to settle their differences.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a couple times. Nothing to do. Very boring.

It's weird that a city that was recently listed the second best city in the world has nothing to do and is very boring.

The Saturday market, the Sunday market, the night bazaar, dozens and dozens of beautiful temples all over the city, Doi Suthep, a zoo, museums. Aerobics, ballooning, bird watching, bungy jumping, cinema, cooking classes, cricket, cycling, elephant riding, fishing, flying, golf, go-karts, hill-tribe treks, horse riding, karaoke, line-dancing, massage schools, pool, rafting, river boat trips, swimming, tennis, walking, water sports. Day trips around the city, festivals, etc. Considering the average tourist spend around 3 or 4 days in Chiang Mai, you're right, there's clearly nothing to do.

Rather than all the above 24 hours in the sack with a good looking chick.

I've been a couple times. Nothing to do. Very boring.

It's weird that a city that was recently listed the second best city in the world has nothing to do and is very boring.

The Saturday market, the Sunday market, the night bazaar, dozens and dozens of beautiful temples all over the city, Doi Suthep, a zoo, museums. Aerobics, ballooning, bird watching, bungy jumping, cinema, cooking classes, cricket, cycling, elephant riding, fishing, flying, golf, go-karts, hill-tribe treks, horse riding, karaoke, line-dancing, massage schools, pool, rafting, river boat trips, swimming, tennis, walking, water sports. Day trips around the city, festivals, etc. Considering the average tourist spend around 3 or 4 days in Chiang Mai, you're right, there's clearly nothing to do.

Not to mention that there's numerous quality places(western and Thai) to dine out and it's much cheaper then Phuket or Bangkok.

Chiang Mai suffers from two problems; too many upmarket hotel rooms and poor promotion, especially to the new emerging tourist markets. Tourism from the western market has fallen and tourists from the new markets don't care about having an unique Thai cultural experience. They just want to enjoy a breach where the water's warm enough to swim in. So what if a plate of Fried Rice is 250 baht.

Chiang Mai now offers many Boutique and upmarket hotel rooms for bargain rates and there's stuff to do here for a couple of days. Need to go the beach? It's an hour flight away.

Thailand is one of the most tourist-friendly destination in the world, and it is no coincidence that Bangkok and Chiang Mai were voted the best cities in the world in a recent tourism survey. There are scams and theft in Asia, and much more in Vietnam and Cambodia.

I wouldn't take those type of "awards" too seriously. I suspect the recipient cities pay substantially for the honor buy placing very expensive advertisements.

Why would anybody want to go all the way up there?? Ive been living here for 11 years and never occurred to me to go to CM. I presume the police and tourist scams are just as bad as BKK. Thailand is now an expensive holiday destination.Even Kaosan road,bkk is no longer a genuine backpacker district. Its full of renovated and expensive looking boutique bars and guest houses 800 b a night..HUH!!! Bali ,Fiji, and tahiti are looking better everyday. TAT will bury their head in the sand. maipen rai

Because it is arguably the best city of Thailand if you don't care about beaches, at least for a short term visit. If it never occured to you to go there, you probably aren't interested much in travel.

You presume wrong. There are scams but then again what city doesn't have them, but certainly not as bad as Bangkok. Don't know about the police.

Chiang Mai is a cheap holiday destination. Cheaper than Bali, and certainly much cheaper than Fiji and Tahiti?

800 baht a night is "expensive"? Wow. Anyway there's plenty of decent 600 baht / night room in Bangkok, if you know where to look.

I was begining to think there must be two Chiang Mai's in Thailand.

I'll be back in CM on Christmas day, but not in the shitty boring town that some posters atre portraying.

It's a great laid back place, maybe a place you'd want to live more than holiday in, but my wife and I are very happy visiting three times a each year, until about three years time when we intewnd spending about half the year there a la Ian Forbes.

Mind you I have to tell you it's a bit dearer than Bali,(spent a week in CM and a week in Bali in May), but certainly miles cheaper than Fiji & Thahiti.

And what is in Chiang Mai for tourists if they visit there?

Limited and restrictive nightlife, duel pricing at many tourist destinations, few decent restaurants and hardly any tour price concessions.

The TAT and police will need to collaborate and rethink their nightlife and adult entertainment restriction policies, better deals for tourists, outlaw duel pricing and more positive promotions of tourist areas and places of interest.

It doesn't require a genius to assess why the tourists are not coming to Chiang Mai.

What crap some people say :)

Chiang Mai does need help to boost tourism but what l hear is that they are all going to Laos and Vietnam and then coming to Thailand for a day trip because CNX is now expensive. BKK Is a hub for a night but TAT counts everyone who comes for a night so the figures look right for them when there budget is allocated. Thailand needs to revalue the baht in order to encourage more tourists to visit LOS

I seriously had no idea how ignorant so many contributors are on here.

For the hopelessly misinformed...

Chiang Mai is THE adventure tourism destination in Thailand.

Within 45 minutes to one hour of town

Rock Climbing - serious rock climbing

Class 4 White Water Rafting and Kayaking

World class Mountain Biking, trail biking and 4WD

Weeks of Jungle Treks

Some of the best fresh water fishing open water lakes in SE Asia

Some of the best Motorcycle Touring Roads in the Worlds - good roads, little traffic - if you like Motorbikes and haven't ridden the Mae Hong Song Loop - the road of 1200 bends hang your head in shame your not a rider.

And your worried about a lack of bars ? man I feel sorry for you boys.

The logical thing for CM to do then is jack up the rates so the tourists who do come get ripped off.

Ah, more crab mentality...

It is finally starting to catch up with Thailand... THe word is out and people are no longer spending their holidays in Thailand, except for mongers who will always show up for cheap p#ssy...

Som nom na...

Air quality is one definite reason tourists are and will be staying away from Northern Thailand. Chiang Mai is a fine place with plenty to do. The mountains of the North are a true gem of natural beauty, but no one wants to visit a place where they can not breathe half of the year. It used to be only the hot season that was really bad. But the air now seems heavily smoke degraded whenever it is not actively raining. This is a very real, major problem in all of the North that has a direct affect on Chiang Mai.

I am a small business person born in the North. I started out with very little and have worked very hard to try to accomplish something and better my lot in life. I have put everything I have into trying to develop a small tourist resort in the mountains of Thoeng. I only have four bungalows and a small restaurant. I have made it as nice as possible and I am trying to make it a very green project. We grow our own organic vegetables and raise our own eggs. We support the local farmers and markets as well as make jobs for local people. We are trying to cater to educated international travelers who would like to see the real, rural Thailand.

I am writing for help in an effort to make a change. We have a very serious problem here in Northern Thailand. UNCONTROLLED BURNING. The worst smoggy day in Bangkok is like the mountain air at the top of Doi Inthanon compared to the air in Chiang Rai Province in the hot season. This is also a problem in all the other Northern Provinces.

This burning problem used to be only the rice fields for two to three months in the hot season. This was certainly bad enough and I would just close my business for that period. But now people burn the King's trees in the mountains to grow mushrooms and are making huge smoldering fires of corn waste. These smoky fires burn day after day into weeks and months and cause unbearable pollution, ruining our otherwise beautiful environment. The burning seems to go on most of the time when it is not pouring rain. I don't exaggerate when I say the air quality is very unhealthful for at least half of the year and not really clean most of the rest of the time. When it is clear and not smelly and smoky there isn't a more beautiful place on Earth.

The people want to gain from tourism all over Northern Thailand, but as long as this pollution continues foreigners will only laugh at Thailand professing green tourism and natural beauty. Amazing Thailand type advertising may bring them once. But don't you want them to return to explore further and also tell their friends what a beautiful country we have?

The Government is the only recourse for solving this problem. Strong laws must be passed, but they have to have teeth and be enforced. After a few heavy fines and threats of jail time the fires will stop. We as a people must stop this loss of our forest and quality of life. Every human being should have the right to breathe clean air. The waste can be buried and composted. It will become fine new soil in a few years. A strong effort toward this end can only improve tourism, the economy and the health of the people here in the North.

I know there are many political problems facing the country at this time. But this is an urgent matter for the health and well being of the entire country. This pollution will keep away more people than any Red Shirt bomb or demonstration ever could.

For these reasons, all those in the tourist industry should get behind pushing the government to stop this uncontrolled burning and educate the farmers to a better way of dealing with agricultural waste. I know clearing the skies of the Northern half of the country can be accomplished. It has been done in other countries quite quickly and successfully. It is simple, you stop the burning and the smoke goes away. If Thailand wants to promote itself as green and as a world class tourist destination this problem has to be addressed.

I hope all of you in the tourist industry will give this situation the attention it so sorely deserves. Each and everyone of you can make a difference. Make yourselves heard by the people in charge of the environment and the heads of tourism related departments.

In all hope for a bright future for Thailand, Doublearrow

Looks like the apologists are out in force today!

Travelers from the Americas and Europe have put their plans for Northern Thailand on hold for fear of political instability, while their economies have also not improved much, he said.

Agreed. Travelers from the Americas and Europes might understand that the superior night market, some German beer garden with girls wearing fancy dresses and selling cheap beer in big Mugs for a lot of money like there was the October fest invented.

Since they have an airport in Pai, not too many people want to hang out there, because of the war between Thais and foreigners trying to make a restaurant or resort for a living.

The bulk of friendly smiling red shirted Thai is doing the rest..... :jap:

Thailand is one of the most tourist-friendly destination in the world, and it is no coincidence that Bangkok and Chiang Mai were voted the best cities in the world in a recent tourism survey. There are scams and theft in Asia, and much more in Vietnam and Cambodia.

According to the Travel and Leisure website, Bangkok is first and Chiang Mai second best in Asia. Best in the world is...New York.

Weeks of Jungle Treks

Some of the best Motorcycle Touring Roads in the Worlds - good roads, little traffic - if you like Motorbikes and haven't ridden the Mae Hong Song Loop - the road of 1200 bends hang your head in shame your not a rider.

The outdoor activities listed are more for a somewhat younger public.

At my age I gave up on the adventurous stuff. Now I only risk my life in pubs ;)

Why would anybody want to go all the way up there?? Ive been living here for 11 years and never occurred to me to go to CM. I presume the police and tourist scams are just as bad as BKK. Thailand is now an expensive holiday destination.Even Kaosan road,bkk is no longer a genuine backpacker district. Its full of renovated and expensive looking boutique bars and guest houses 800 b a night..HUH!!! Bali ,Fiji, and tahiti are looking better everyday. TAT will bury their head in the sand. maipen rai

Because it is arguably the best city of Thailand if you don't care about beaches, at least for a short term visit. If it never occured to you to go there, you probably aren't interested much in travel.

You presume wrong. There are scams but then again what city doesn't have them, but certainly not as bad as Bangkok. Don't know about the police.

Chiang Mai is a cheap holiday destination. Cheaper than Bali, and certainly much cheaper than Fiji and Tahiti?

800 baht a night is "expensive"? Wow. Anyway there's plenty of decent 600 baht / night room in Bangkok, if you know where to look.

I was begining to think there must be two Chiang Mai's in Thailand.

I'll be back in CM on Christmas day, but not in the shitty boring town that some posters atre portraying.

It's a great laid back place, maybe a place you'd want to live more than holiday in, but my wife and I are very happy visiting three times a each year, until about three years time when we intewnd spending about half the year there a la Ian Forbes.

Mind you I have to tell you it's a bit dearer than Bali,(spent a week in CM and a week in Bali in May), but certainly miles cheaper than Fiji & Thahiti.

I spent 6000 baht for one month for a clean, centrally located studio with relatively fast internet, cable tv and aircon in CM. You would have to spend at least twice, if not triple, to find the equivalent in Bali.

When most people arrive at the airport they are hit by the many scams going on there and in the city and feel they are better off leaving and spending their money in Vietnam, ..., Cambodia etc...Much cheaper there, people are more friendly and they won't get taken at every corner.

Have you even been to these countries? More scams, more cheats and just as expensive. :lol:

When most people arrive at the airport they are hit by the many scams going on there and in the city and feel they are better off leaving and spending their money in Vietnam, ..., Cambodia etc...Much cheaper there, people are more friendly and they won't get taken at every corner.

Have you even been to these countries? More scams, more cheats and just as expensive. :lol:

I've never been to Cambodia, but know a few people who live, have lived, or have just visited there, and to a man they say it's much cheapier, for what they do anyway!

I've never been to Chiang Mai either, and probably it's the thought of the pollution that puts me off.

Ask the TAT to help...ha ha. That's funny.

Don't they know that the thousands of TAT employees and billions in funds is only for a handful of Thai dignitaries for when they travel abroad? The cost of a red carpet is darn expensive.

The TAT exists to promote Thais abroad (meaning all expense trips and perks to promote themselves). Not to promote Thailand. That's the general misunderstanding.

More chances to call back the Good Son of Chang Mai back for some financial assistance.

Weeks of Jungle Treks

Some people just have a hard time posting facts about a city they have never been in. I wonder if I could interest them in a bridge?:lol:

I've never been to Cambodia, but know a few people who live, have lived, or have just visited there, and to a man they say it's much cheapier, for what they do anyway!

I've never been to Chiang Mai either, and probably it's the thought of the pollution that puts me off.

You have it wrong. There's not that much pollution. It's a quaint city with drivers crazier than in Bangkok. Think of it as an oversized university campus. Very friendly.

Just don't go when there's the flooding, northern farm fires, upset red shirts, overpriced airfares, escaping animals from the Night Safari, denge fever,...

Good, let the tourists stay away.I can now get a tuk tuk trip for 40 baht instead of them trying to rip me off or scam me for 80 to 100 baht for a trip that a thai is only charged 50 baht.There is a saying,that what goes around comes around.Now maybe chiang mai is paying the price for all these scamming tuk tuk driver's and local bussinesses doubling if not trippleing their price's to gain from the tourist's.I say give a fair price and people will maybe return.Rip people off and word gets around.

Have you even been to these countries? More scams, more cheats and just as expensive.

Rents and foreign food are quite a bit more expensive in Cambodia, but I guess that the low end brothels are cheaper. :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I expect the political turmoil has made visitor numbers drop this year. However this downturn in Chiang mai tourist numbers has been ongoing for half a decade, or longer. Shop owners were complaining to me about it in 05 ("why don't westerners come here any more", they do but not in the numbers of the past. In 06 TAT put on the Orchid/flower festival exposition to beef up visitor numbers. The chinese tourists, who were touted as the new wave of Thailand tourism turned out to have bought package holidays in china and had far less disposable cash in pocket.

And so it goes.

I have made note and will be up in CM at the end of this month. We all need to our part keep the tourism-service sector of the Thai economy chugging down the road. That is all.