New A1 English Test For Spouses And Partners

The UK border agency has acccredited about 10 providers, who then sub-contract work out to local providers. Expect a couple more places to test in BKK shortly

There are 19 UKBA approved English test providers, with 64 different exams that could be taken.

As quoted on the UKBA website (heading: What will you need to do?):

List of acceptable tests and approved test providers (emphasis added)

We are, I think, still waiting for two clarifications from you:

Who does the TOEIC test at 1,200 Baht ?

What biometrics are being introduced - fingerprints, iris scans, bar-coding, facial recognition ? All of these are expensive, so how will that affect the cost ?

Thanks for the reply, although why to this particular post I don't know.

Perhaps you could clarify why you don't know the difference between accredited and approved? Or clarify why you can't read, since the UKBA refer to testing partners as approved and not accredited.

Don't resent me because I picked holes in your press release (which is shocking, really). Just be more factual in future. And don't mislead.

TOEIC test can be sat at BB Tower, BKK. Costs 1,200 Baht.

Have you not seen a TOEIC score certificate before? It already has a picture of the candidate on it, which can then be visually compared to passport, ID card etc. Am I really going to have to photoshop one for you?

As part of the registration for IELTS, students must create a profile and upload a photo. Another passport sized photo must also be taken to the test centre on test day.

IELTS have looked at fingerprinting, though I haven't had the time to find the press release for you. I'll endeavour to do so.

The point is, there is already huge anxiety and confusion amongst Brits around this issue. It appears you wish to cash in on this confusion, in my opinion, given the content of your press release.

Edited by bangkockney

Too late to edit, so apologies.

The Pearson Test of English already makes use of biometrics including palm-vein measurements and voice prints, along with statistical analyses of test results to detect anomalies. Given the prevalence of cheating and even fake certificates, one can expect other providers to follow suit.

IELTS and TOEIC (as examples) making use of test day digital photographs and checking against Government ID is still biometrics, regardless of the process being automated or not.

Cost for PTE varies according to territory, but it's around US$100, just shy of 3,000 THB

Edited by bangkockney

The UK border agency has acccredited about 10 providers, who then sub-contract work out to local providers. Expect a couple more places to test in BKK shortly

There are 19 UKBA approved English test providers, with 64 different exams that could be taken.

As quoted on the UKBA website (heading: What will you need to do?):

List of acceptable tests and approved test providers (emphasis added)

We are, I think, still waiting for two clarifications from you:

Who does the TOEIC test at 1,200 Baht ?

What biometrics are being introduced - fingerprints, iris scans, bar-coding, facial recognition ? All of these are expensive, so how will that affect the cost ?

Thanks for the reply, although why to this particular post I don't know.

Perhaps you could clarify why you don't know the difference between accredited and approved? Or clarify why you can't read, since the UKBA refer to testing partners as approved and not accredited.

Don't resent me because I picked holes in your press release (which is shocking, really). Just be more factual in future. And don't mislead.

TOEIC test can be sat at BB Tower, BKK. Costs 1,200 Baht.

Have you not seen a TOEIC score certificate before? It already has a picture of the candidate on it, which can then be visually compared to passport, ID card etc. Am I really going to have to photoshop one for you?

As part of the registration for IELTS, students must create a profile and upload a photo. Another passport sized photo must also be taken to the test centre on test day.

IELTS have looked at fingerprinting, though I haven't had the time to find the press release for you. I'll endeavour to do so.

The point is, there is already huge anxiety and confusion amongst Brits around this issue. It appears you wish to cash in on this confusion, in my opinion, given the content of your press release.

You seem to be getting all defensive again. Why is that ?

Okay, what do you mean by my press release ? I don't have, and have never had, a press release. Nor do recall using the word accredited. Show me where, and I will aologise. Furthermore, I don't like you accusing me of cashing in on any confusion. I resent the implications.

I'm not going to get into an arguing match with you. I asked simple questions based on your previous statements, and in return you have made various allegations against me. If those allegations can be proven, then I will most happily apologise. If you cannot prove them, I would ask 7x7, as moderator here, to step in.

You seem to be getting all defensive again. Why is that ?

Okay, what do you mean by my press release ? I don't have, and have never had, a press release. Nor do recall using the word accredited. Show me where, and I will aologise. Furthermore, I don't like you accusing me of cashing in on any confusion. I resent the implications.

I'm not going to get into an arguing match with you. I asked simple questions based on your previous statements, and in return you have made various allegations against me. If those allegations can be proven, then I will most happily apologise. If you cannot prove them, I would ask 7x7, as moderator here, to step in.

Your reply was laced with venom, so I responded in kind.

Did you not start this topic? Asking people to PM you to arrange a pre-test day? Sounds like your press release to me. And you still stand by this comment:

...probably, the first, and, maybe, the only, approved test centres in Thailand at this time for the new A1 English

However, you are correct, you didn't refer to it as accredited, like others have. And for this I apologise.

But, you still make an erroneous claim, as highlighted above. How can you justify claiming to be the only people able to offer an English test in Thailand?

And there is no new A1 English Test, so your post is misleading.

I have no intention to engage in a slanging match with you, but feel these points are valid. Just why do you make these claims?

If you have nothing to do with providing the tests, nor profit from them, why post the piece and why ask people to contact you to make bookings?

I am not taking this any further with you. As a sponsor here I am unable to say exactly what I feel about your comments. Others may wish to comment, either to agree with you or disagree with you. They are welcome to do so, within limits.

I suggest you re-read my original post. I did not offer any Pre-test. I offered to give details of the testers if anyone wished to have them. I clearly stated that the press release was from ETC.

I am not taking this any further with you. As a sponsor here I am unable to say exactly what I feel about your comments. Others may wish to comment, either to agree with you or disagree with you. They are welcome to do so, within limits.

I suggest you re-read my original post. I did not offer any Pre-test. I offered to give details of the testers if anyone wished to have them. I clearly stated that the press release was from ETC.

"We are now able to give details of, probably, the first, and, maybe, the only, approved test centres in Thailand at this time for the new A1 English test for spouses and partners. The new test requirement will be in place from 29th November 2010."

Why can you not clarify why you used the words quoted above? Being a sponsor doesn't have any bearing on it.

You clearly have a vested business interest, or would not have made the post and ask people to contact you.

Tactical withdrawal in the face of adversity.

It seems to me that VP said 'we' because he was speaking on behalf of his company, but he did further on in the OP make it clear that Visa Plus do not offer these tests, but can provide details of the company that do if contacted.

That is my opinion, anyway, and I'm not just saying that because he is a sponsor.

It also seems to me that this argument over semantics is of no benefit to anyone, so I'm closing this.

Meanwhile, I suggest to both protagonists that they may care to mentally shake hands and put this behind them. I think, gentlemen, that you have more in common than you have differences.