Wanting To Build A Website

Pearlgirl

We want to have a website built for a friend of our's, as a gift, but we don't know any one that can do it. It'll just be a simple and uncomplicated site which will hopefully help to promote his business. Any suggestions? I'm totally computer illiterate so no suggestions on how to do it because I'm sure it'll be way over my head.

Hello.

There are plenty of free website hosters on line you could use. The disadvantage as some see it is your domain (site name address) will have their name included, ex., Yoursite.theirName.com vs. Yoursite.com. If you don't mind that, it's free. Some have pop up ads that are annoying but others don't. I've been using Yola.com for over a year, no ads and has run 24/7, hasn't dropped out (yet?) The way they're setup you don't have to know a lot about site building. Have pre-made templates, etc.:)

It depends on the business niche the site should be made for. Anyway to go with CMS(content management system) is always the best option, since features can be easily added on without any knowledge of programming etc.

Free hosting is not a good idea since it makes a business look cheap. Free hosting is OK for personal sites.

Hi,

I'm sure you'd prefer to deal with a Thai company who can consult and give you advice as part of the project. You can check out my partner's company here : in addition to multimedia, they also do website design

www.xstreamstudio.net

Another poor recommendation. Better don't deal with a Thai company, or totally poor quality or too pretentious, the good ones are very rare, and enough foreign web designers here.

Me too I do complete web design at a budget price starting 6.000b/ready in a week/no templates/no 90's design !

Sure you can get them for 3.000 if you choose a Thai, but you don't want to know what you get.

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

Hello.

There are plenty of free website hosters on line you could use. The disadvantage as some see it is your domain (site name address) will have their name included, ex., Yoursite.theirName.com vs. Yoursite.com. If you don't mind that, it's free. Some have pop up ads that are annoying but others don't. I've been using Yola.com for over a year, no ads and has run 24/7, hasn't dropped out (yet?) The way they're setup you don't have to know a lot about site building. Have pre-made templates, etc.:)

Yola is pretty good indeed,

here are some more free webhosts that offer upgrade option when you are ready for it. I tested them all and they are good.

000Webhost (free, no ads)

Blinkweb (free, no ads)

Doodlekit (free, ads)

Dot Easy Basic

Free Webhost Review (info)

Freebee Hosting (no ads)

FreeHostia (free, no ads)

Google Sites (free wiki, no ads)

MoonFruit

Smashing Apps (webhost reviews)

Sqweebs (ftp upload)

WebnodeNEW!

Webs (free, ads)

Weebly (free, no ads)

Wix (flash, free, ads)

WordPress (free, no ads)

X10 Hosting

Yola (free, no ads)

Zymic (free webhost)

Anytime you want to have a business website you should NOT go with free hosting it does not give a good impression to visitors and when hosting is so inexpensive theres no reason.

I use www.Hostmonster.com and have more than 35 website urls I have been with these guys for a very long time and only have good things to say they are also very inexpensive and and you can host as many sites as you want using the same hosting account and all it costs is $5.95 per month you also get your first website address Free included when you sign up.

My suggestion to you is to sign up with Hostmonster and choose an appropiate name make sure if you can its relevant to his business and is easy to remember if you not sure post what his business is about here and we can make some suggestions.

The if all you want is a simple website you could set up a Word press site which is very easy and could be done for you for a few dollars that way he can grow his website as he needs.

If you want it set up it will normally be charged by the number of pages in the website so you will need to think about that

Please feel free to om me as I can put you in touch with my developer in India and they do very good work and very inexpensive.

regards

DK

Anytime you want to have a business website you should NOT go with free hosting it does not give a good impression to visitors and when hosting is so inexpensive theres no reason.

I use www.Hostmonster.com and have more than 35 website urls I have been with these guys for a very long time and only have good things to say they are also very inexpensive and and you can host as many sites as you want using the same hosting account and all it costs is $5.95 per month you also get your first website address Free included when you sign up.

My suggestion to you is to sign up with Hostmonster and choose an appropiate name make sure if you can its relevant to his business and is easy to remember if you not sure post what his business is about here and we can make some suggestions.

The if all you want is a simple website you could set up a Word press site which is very easy and could be done for you for a few dollars that way he can grow his website as he needs.

If you want it set up it will normally be charged by the number of pages in the website so you will need to think about that

Please feel free to om me as I can put you in touch with my developer in India and they do very good work and very inexpensive.

regards

DK

$5,95 not expensive ? Agree it's not much money, but with the much rewarded http://one.com you get the full package and even more for only $1,45 per month and over the full year the difference is big enough..

regards

DK

$5,95 not expensive ? Agree it's not much money, but with the much rewarded http://one.com you get the full package and even more for only $1,45 per month and over the full year the difference is big enough..

they are a bit deceiving in there marketing here is what the real cost is for the smallest account the $1.45 once they tack everything on

The domain tredfgt.com is available

Web Space Small - 12 months USD 17.40 Annual domain fee (.com) USD 13.80 Setup fee USD 13.80

Total excl. VAT. USD 45.00

So its just a different way of marketing as hostmonster throws the domain in for free where as one you have to pay Hostmonster has no set up fee where as one does ultimately by using one you save a few dollars but my reccmoendation was from years of being a happy customer with Hostmonster I have never used one so could not reccomend it and to save a few bucks i would rather pay a little and stay with a company that has provided me excellent service.

DK

Edited by DiamondKing

as a lot of people have said, it's not very difficult to make a simple but nice looking website and pay for cheap domain registration and hosting (under USD$5 a month combined for a decent service last i checked)

my partner and i have put together a couple of websites for friends and if you're only after something simple and cheap i could probably help you out or if you wanted something fancy and not so cheap my partner is a flash developer and could probably help you out..

otherwise if you have time to spare, the suggestion of using developers in india is a good one if you are patient as the price is right and the skills are good, it's just the time to get things exactly right with emails back and forth because you cant sit down face to face with the site / page design right in front of you.

:D

is easy to search for a host and then register a domain and get a host for alot of price range

but seriously . you need professional work to have professional result .

few years back i try to build my own website . and use those cheap hosting . which give me endless problem . not to said my website got hacked over and over again and again . those are the learning days

is cheap of cos . and there give you so much nice number to look at 100gb or unlimited all kinda fancy ads.

so let break all this down .

what do you need .

a simple website if it just a info website static without much video you would need less then 500mb - if it just a few page . so get yourself a 1-2gb hosting that would be good enough .

what kinda business you are doing and how much bandwidth you need is also very importance .

for my i have my own server hosted in bangkok and i help alot of my friends by hosting free for them to ride on my bandwidth but only for those who are using static site which mean there use very little space and have low traffic of like 100 - 200 user a days .

many website is build and there hardly hit 5000 or 10,000 user a days .

depending on your traffic , for a start a simple hosting that is stable would be good .

web design .. if you need custom website that would be costly betwen 2000- 9000b would be the range .

hosting wise depend on wher eyou host it some company offer fre ehosting if you use their service .

domain regsite rin thailand range from 350b - 450b

about domain register . you got to be very carful now i am a reseller myself for one simple reason i get better control .

cos in the past i was blackmail by hosting company and refuse to release my domain to me and all kinda excuse and weird service charges .

so i learn my lesson .

over all is better to talk to someone in person then just go online . find the best number hosting .

- if you need nay info or help feel free to Pm me .

the so easy to get a website but is so complex to get it done right and good

Hi,

I'm sure you'd prefer to deal with a Thai company who can consult and give you advice as part of the project. You can check out my partner's company here : in addition to multimedia, they also do website design

www.xstreamstudio.net

Another poor recommendation. Better don't deal with a Thai company, or totally poor quality or too pretentious, the good ones are very rare, and enough foreign web designers here.

Me too I do complete web design at a budget price starting 6.000b/ready in a week/no templates/no 90's design !

Sure you can get them for 3.000 if you choose a Thai, but you don't want to know what you get.

I agree the above recommendations are no good- plus I tried for a long time to get half decent web guys in CMai. The major problem is communication- you waste so much time trying to explain to them your needs (Even with a good interpreter) that it drives you insane. Then when they think it complete- it totally wrong- I had many disputes with supposed Web guys here over payment also. They quote say 2000bt- they do a crap job and you need it fixed by someone else and they want 4000bt for the extra time trying to understand ur needs.

In IT in CMai I believe it easier to find inexpensive Farang who are Pros, yet charge you hobby rates. Still more than a quote from Thai guys but they never do the job correctly.

Thai and Farangs do not mix in creating good websites- if you want rock bottom u can alway try India. Yet comms issues again- I always liked the tuskersbar.com site- yet it was produced by a UK guy. Most of the good biz sites in CMai are produced by Farang- I am afraid to say. Whilst it would be great to have a fully functional and upgradable site with ECommerce for 2000bt. It simply is not possible in my experience.

Personally I would prefer to deal with a local- for a reasonable cost- not Farang cost, as we not live in Farangland. But good cheap prices for a Pro. Several Web masters and designers live in CMai- as it a job u can do from anywhere u wish in the world--- that has a good internet connection.

City limits seems to know his stuff- do not stuff around with Thai Web companies is my recommendation. Tried with 3 sites with 3 different Thai Web companies and all crap.:bah:

Maybe others had better experiences. Cheers jay

I believe the $5.95 is for multiple websites?

Your exactly right I UNLIMITED DOMAIN HOSTING I have 6 websites and 35 domains all hosted for $5.95 a month which i think is a kick ass deal

DK

Your exactly right I UNLIMITED DOMAIN HOSTING I have 6 websites and 35 domains all hosted for $5.95 a month which i think is a kick ass deal

DK

Interesting and will check it out, thanks. ;)

(35 domains ? i dont believe it, do you mean subdomains ?)

is common for people to own many domain i myself own more then 80 domain and i know people who own many many more .

communication is very importance for web builder as well as graphic designer , the problem with design company and webmaster is alot is just hobby building or just know part of web building .

as good web design must know photography , graphic design , coding , and layout as well as back end and front end layout . as well as understanding on basic design beauty and idea.

what kinda target you reaching out to ? is it just local thai or a world market . will it be a interactive site or just a flat info page , will there be animation, what kinda user you focusing .alot of fancy site do not consider that some user is using 17" monitor and also slow internet connection . do you link your website to the social network . like i said if you need help pm me i got time and i enjoy making friends .

I had 50 odd domains yet the pain in the butt is renewing each year.

I had offers to buy some via enquires yet who knows how to transfer to another person's name.

Plus the buyer or agent wants you to transfer in their name before payment- yer right. I down to about 20 now, simply let 30 or 40 domains lapse on payment.

Anyone sell a domain and how did you do it?

Also in regards to hosting u should find out your limit, I have unlimited domains, subs, etc for $70AUD pa. They have a great Console and you can put friends, family, customers, whomevers website on your Host system.

Max is 100 Gb- but that is huge and many 100s of websites. Look at bandwidth as well for speed of access to your sites. If you have crappy speed, most people wait 10 secs then give up.

Anyway sounds like a few good Farang web guys. As i sick and tired of trying to communicate my ideas to the Thai guys. Then they coming back with something completely different then want to charge more than agreed.

Yet for your TGF- if her site as one poster mentioned then they would have no issues- probably more simplistic also.

Make your Host company Farang and your Web guys IMO.

My 2 cents:jap:

Cheers jay

Edited by jayinoz

DK

Interesting and will check it out, thanks. ;)

(35 domains ? i dont believe it, do you mean subdomains ?)

NO I mean I have 35 domain names listed with them and 6 of them are active live sites each with a seperate domain hosted under one hosting account for $5.95 Hostmonster.com

For example not my sites just as an example

www.xyz.com

www.tcpitd.com

each domain is unique etc

They are however attached to the main account name, but if I want to develop the other 29 sites i dont have to pay for additional hosting Its covered in my hosting fee of $5.95 a month

DK

Edited by DiamondKing

i do not like sub domain account holding and also share server with un-control user.. cos those over sell hosting server which offer $5- 10 hosting is using one server sharing with many people with no backup , that how one hacker can get a package and upload all kinda hacker ware and then get access to your banking account and so on and all kinda hack on your website cos you enter your passwords on the shared account .

i have my own server and i colo it in bangkok . is more expensvie since i got about 70-80 domain lose count really i just renew them every 2-3 years .

i got full control and also can can tranfer out anytime i like .i had not sold any of my domain before cos i am not dealing in domain name reselling .

anyway i got 1TB + 1 TB backup running on a Q9550 CPU with 8 GB ram - i run only selected client as well as close friends domain as i do not do selling . so far i got like 15 active domain running on my server which i pay about $100 usd a month . i paid about $900 usd for my server . and i hire a local admin to look after my server for about $50 a month

so work out to be about $150 usd per month of spending .

since i host a doz site

i get about $20 per site i host

so more or less i get about $200+

i get best bandwidth , real unlimited , and i do not need to worry about problem from malware from shared unknown user .

the problem with having all your data in one account is such that when you got hacked on one site chances is all your site will be hacked .. specially if you share the same passwords .

then again for just $5.95 is hard to beat . so you got to choose price against sure.

most user who own a website do not really make use of it or hardly logon to it after the first 3 month .

one good way is to buy a cheap service and play with it . and backup your data . and after some problem you will jump out of it yourself since is not expensive .

good luck

Good gawd - I didn't realize it would be so complicated? I've been out all day and haven't had a chance to thoroughly read all the notes, but I will tomorrow. Thanks you guys - this is great, but as I said, complicated for me to comprehend so will take some time to digest.

PG

Good gawd - I didn't realize it would be so complicated? I've been out all day and haven't had a chance to thoroughly read all the notes, but I will tomorrow. Thanks you guys - this is great, but as I said, complicated for me to comprehend so will take some time to digest.

PG

HI PG

Its actually a very simple process although the terminology will be new to you but it is a simple process here is a simple step by step

1.) Think of a good domain name that is what the name of the site will be such as www.MyNewSite.com

2.) Go to Hosting and click sign up which will take you to a page where you can check if your chosen name is available do a check and if it is continue with the sign up if its not available choose another name.

3.) Once you have your domain name and are set up for hosting you are ready for the next step which is actually designing and developing the website. The simplest process for this since you dont know much about it is to put your ideas in an email or post it and then contact a web design firm to develop it all you have to do is give them an idea of what you want to include in the site and they will make it happen. the min you would want is

1.) Homepage

2.) Who we are

2.) Contact us

Thats basically the steps you need to do.

Hope it helps

DK

Edited by DiamondKing

DK

How many IP addresses do they give you for that package please DiamondKing?

blink.gif

I would suggest you offer one of the guys here say 3000bt to set it all up for you. As you really just want a simple website.

Pick domain name then tell them what u want- then u do not need to be bothered going over all the specifics for hours.

They will select your FREE Host. Supply web template to use or allow you a selection.

You give them some info to put in the site- photos + home page info + contact info.

Then they will have ready pretty quickly- well should do for a simple site.

Who will do this for PG for the above price?

Chok Dee