One-year-old Thai babies required to have ID card

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So all the little Somchais and Alunwans will be carrying their id cards to school and wherever else they go.

I think alot of mums and dads are going to be paying out for lost cards somehow.

I wonder what the thinking is behind making young kids carry id?

Are the people in charge really that paranoid?

Where does it say they have to CARRY them? In our house, the adults ID cards sit in a basket on the shelf and only get taken out when going on 'official business'.

Now, if you are going to jump in and say "but the law says...", don't waste your breath.

What country are we talking about here?

Try reading the OP

Quote "The bill proposed by the Interior Minister would lower the requirement age for carrying identification card from 15 to one year"

where does it say they have to carry it? they just need to have one for identification.

if thats what the govt wants to do, who cares? i think i can afford 500baht to get my kid a card.

there's bigger sh!t to worry about.

Maybe you can afford it but as already clearly stated in the poorer sectors - the majority of Thailand - they can't. And they are the ones who are the breeders. Don't rub their noses in it by stating your social status and apparent wealth. A little understanding and empathy goes a long way! dry.gif

Oh dear, asiawanke_rwatcher is pontificating again.

Stand up for the 'poorer sectors'... very noble.

Yes, since they are 'the breeders' they need just enough of your support to make you feel good... warm, fuzzy feeling kicked in yet?

You have said more about your perceived social status in your 4 sentences than vahack said in his 4.

reason for edit: the mods would have deleted it anyway

Edited by NanLaew

So all the little Somchais and Alunwans will be carrying their id cards to school and wherever else they go.

I think alot of mums and dads are going to be paying out for lost cards somehow.

Where does it say they have to CARRY them? In our house, the adults ID cards sit in a basket on the shelf and only get taken out when going on 'official business'.

Now, if you are going to jump in and say "but the law says...", don't waste your breath.

Try reading the OP

Quote "The bill proposed by the Interior Minister would lower the requirement age for carrying identification card from 15 to one year"

Since when has the translation of ANYTHING said or printed in Thai EVER been 100% correct in this nations media? Only when it fits your argument. I see.

The law says YOU (as a foreigner that's obviously cleverer than any Thai yet born) need to CARRY your passport at all time.

Oh no... you don't do you?

PS. I will post a picture of the family ID cards in the basket and nobody having a cow about it.

Edited by NanLaew

Try reading the OP

Since when has the translation of ANYTHING said or printed in Thai EVER been 100% correct in this nations media? Only when it fits your argument. I see.

The law says YOU (as a foreigner that's obviously cleverer than any Thai yet born) need to CARRY your passport at all time.

Oh no... you don't do you?

PS. I will post a picture of the family ID cards in the basket and nobody having a cow about it.

I am not arguing anything, just pointing out in the OP something you didn't bother to read properly.

As for carrying my passport, no I don't as that is not what Thai law says. It says that I have to carry ID so I always have my drivers licence on me as that is simple to keep in my wallet.

hahahaha. What another way for the ID administrations to appropriate tax paying bahts to their wealth. This actually does not solve anything. Maybe cause they don't know how to track toddlers through their birth certificates. This will raise alot of penalties when parents bring their children for Thai ID's when their 15, thats when I got mine. 14 years of penalties will rack alot of money for ministries involved. Another reason could be for Banks to send 2 million baht collection bill to two year olds and have them be liable for payment or as a contingent liablity when they are old enough. Whoa that is alot of interest accruals!!!!:bah:

maybe the point is to help combat people smuggling and kidnap and such.

Good idea I say.

If any one has a kid with them and can not produce their ID. Then they should be checked out.

Could also help combat tuancey and things aswell;

The ultimate goal of any national people tagging will be fiscal. The IRS hijacked the social security numbering system in the US and the national ID proposal was kicked out in the UK on civil liberties issues masquerading as personal data concerns. The Inland Revenue were pissed off majorly.

I am not arguing anything, just pointing out in the OP something you didn't bother to read properly.

As for carrying my passport, no I don't as that is not what Thai law says. It says that I have to carry ID so I always have my drivers licence on me as that is simple to keep in my wallet.

You can also keep your passport in a secured place and carry a photocopy.

I'm interested in hearing how this will affect those of us with children living outside of Thailand. We are living in the US and all 3 of my kids have Thai birth certificates and Thai passports as well as their US birth certificates and US passports. Will we soon have to make a trip to the Thai Embassy to get them all ID cards now? One thing that we haven't done is to place our children on any house registry in Thailand. My understanding is that this is a requirement before being able to receive a Thai ID card. Perhaps we will be asked to get the Thai ID cards for our kids the next time we return to Thailand. Is there any more information about the specifics of this new law? Will this take awhile before it is implemented?

It would make sense that a passport is given equal status as an ID card. If they don't, they implicitly disqualify the validity of their passport issuing process.

You make a couple observations that although seemingly valid may not apply to the LOS.

A bit silly to have such a low age, but people are forgetting:

- all thai citizens have an ID number allocated to them anyway at birth if born in thailand. It is registered in the tabieen baan.

- The 500 baht will be the max price. From memory, to get an new ID card costs about 30 baht.

My granddaughters (3 years and 10 months) have already got two ID cards, a Belgian one (nationality of mom) and an Italian one (nationality of dad).

In Europe it makes sense as there are no borders between the Schengen countries.

If they had ID cards in the UK and in the US it would at least be easier to control illegal immigrants.

A bit silly to have such a low age, but people are forgetting:

- all thai citizens have an ID number allocated to them anyway at birth if born in thailand. It is registered in the tabieen baan.

- The 500 baht will be the max price. From memory, to get an new ID card costs about 30 baht.

'Do I really have to fill in this form myself?'

post-58-028161700 1287229540_thumb.jpg

Edited by rubl

It would make sense that a passport is given equal status as an ID card. If they don't, they implicitly disqualify the validity of their passport issuing process.

In countries that issue national ID cards, ID cards are generally mandatory for all their citizens.

A passport is only required for persons who travel or stay in a foreign countries that do not recognize the specific national ID card and/or require a visa.

National ID cards of European countries are valid in all Schengen and EU countries, also in countries that do not issue ID cards for their own citizens, such as the UK and the Netherlands.

In countries that issue national ID cards, ID cards are generally mandatory for all their citizens.

A passport is only required for persons who travel or stay in a foreign countries that do not recognize the specific national ID card and/or require a visa.

National ID cards of European countries are valid in all Schengen and EU countries, also in countries that do not issue ID cards for their own citizens, such as the UK and the Netherlands.

The Netherlands issues ID cards. See this article (sorry Dutch only):

http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/2350812/identiteitskaart-voortaan-gratis.html

• 1 year later...