Where Can I Buy Psyllium Husk Powder?

Jaochoo

Any suggestions where I can buy natural Psyllium Husk Powder (preferably in or close to Pattaya)?

My previous supplies from the U.K. are now very low and my next visitor will not be arriving until mid December.

This is a natural soluble fibre supplement which is best known for its ability to help maintain a healthy digestive system or, to put

it another way, "to keep one regular"! It is also supposed to have many additional health benefits and if you research the name via the internet you will find some very interesting reading material.

I personally use it to keep my LDL (bad) cholesterol at a healthy low level – cannot explain how it works but, it definitely works for me. I also eat a healthy low fat diet which obviously helps, but, I should point out that I was eating this way for several months prior to taking Psyllium Husk Powder and during this time my LDL level had only shown a very slight improvement. However, after taking Psyllium Husk Powder for approximately six weeks, my LDL level improved (lowered) dramatically.

Please note this is not a recommendation or endorsement of the product, just an observation based on my own experience and subsequent result. If this proves to be of interest to other members and they experience similar benefits, then I will be delighted.

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

this online place sells it and will ship anywhere in Thailand.

online health food store

i am up in Chiang Mai and a number of health food stores carry it as well as the Rimping Market.

Psyllium is good but maybe even better is Flax seed. It's fairly easy to find the whole seeds and then just need a coffee type grinder or blender to powderize it.

Flax is just as good of fiber but also adds health Omega 3 oils and other nutrients.

Go find your local health food store and they will hook you up

this online place sells it and will ship anywhere in Thailand.

online health food store

i am up in Chiang Mai and a number of health food stores carry it as well as the Rimping Market.

Psyllium is good but maybe even better is Flax seed. It's fairly easy to find the whole seeds and then just need a coffee type grinder or blender to powderize it.

Flax is just as good of fiber but also adds health Omega 3 oils and other nutrients.

Go find your local health food store and they will hook you up

Many thanks for the information.

I tried several of the more obvious (or, so I thought!) outlets in Pattaya and received the classic blank expression that we all know and love! This is what prompted me to post the enquiry.

However, in view of your reply confirming that this product is readily available from various outlets in Chiang Mai, I find it hard to believe that this is not available in Pattaya and perhaps I should make further enquires.

Thanks to you, I now know that I can buy this product online in Thailand if necessary. I note that you did not include a direct link to the website in question and I assume this is due to some kind of forum restrictions? Anyway, just curious if the separate reply immediately following your own from 'goodkarma' is the company in question? Please confirm. Thanks.

Don't' know too much about Flax seed but thanks for the recommendation - will have to do some research.

In general Chaing Mai has so much great stuff .. and is strangely not available elsewhere.... there just seems to be a much more switched on healthy food sub culture there.....

This was one of the reasons why we started the business/ website. There is a lot of good stuff available in Thailand, just spread out and often really small operations sometimes with no website or no marketing materials..

Thanks for the comment about the link.. I fixed it.

and here is again.. http://www.goodkarmathailand.com (or just click the link on the banner to the right )

As a sponsor of this forum too I can post my own link and I think we can link to other sites as long as we do not put an email address

In general Chaing Mai has so much great stuff .. and is strangely not available elsewhere.... there just seems to be a much more switched on healthy food sub culture there.....

This was one of the reasons why we started the business/ website. There is a lot of good stuff available in Thailand, just spread out and often really small operations sometimes with no website or no marketing materials..

and here is again.. http://www.goodkarmathailand.com (or just click the link on the banner to the right )

As a sponsor of this forum too I can post my own link and I think we can link to other sites as long as we do not put an email address

My comments and question were actually directed to CobraSnakeNecktie in response to his post #2. It was my intention to reply to your post #3 once I had received his reply.

Anyway, this is certainly not a problem and your enthusiasm and interest in the subject matter (as a sponsor of 'Thai Visa Forum') is a refreshing change.

I have looked at your website and although your description of Psyllium Husk doesn't mention "Powder", the illustration looks very similar to the product I am currently using. The fact that the "How to use" and "Suggested dosage" instructions are also the same suggests the two products are probably identical.

For your information, the other product is packaged in a coloured container with an airtight seal. This means customers are unable to view the contents and probably explains why the supplier decided to include the word "Powder" in the description.

If you think about it, a product described as "Psyllium Husk" doesn't sound like the type of thing one would consider adding to a glass of water or, fruit juice! However, "Psyllium Husk Powder" somehow sounds more drinkable and suggests something which is "Fine" or, "Easily Mixed".

As previously mentioned, I will be making one final effort to obtain supplies in Pattaya as this would obviously be more convenient. However, if this proves unsuccessful I will place my order via your website.

Thanks for your help.

GNC has it. Dn't know if there are any in Pattaya, there are a few in Bkk though.

Thanks for your reply.

Would appreciate a bit more information as to who or, what are GNC?.............. As you will probably gather from this question, I don't go to Bangkok that often!!!!

Thanks.

Instead of asking for psyllium, ask for ispaghula. Same thing, different name. It's call ispaghula in Thailand.

Many thanks. Will give it a try.

At least it will break the monotony.............

Me: Do you have/sell Psyllium Husk Powder?

Shop: Blank stare followed by "You write for me"

Me: "PSY......"

Shop: "PS??.......PS??...........You say before slimion not pislium........Mai mee, Mai mee".

Personally I'd use the husk rather than a fine powder. The point of psyllium is to put bulk fibre in, so I'd leave it as larger fibres that can absorb fluid better, and thus create the bulk that you want.

In which case then, switch to the Thai product Gluconnan. get it practically everywhere from the company Herbal One, but they do it in capsules. Break the capsules open and blend with your juice, water or whatever. let it hydrate a bit and drink. (if you let it sit, it will turn into gel at the bottom of the glass, but is still going to do its job.)

Will be cheaper and easier to find. The other post about using flax seeds is great too. You'll get your omega 3s that way, which is pretty lacking in thai food.

Avoid the packaged crap that has flavouring, coloring, artificial sweeteners etc in it. If you're trying to keep your system working, no point throwing in garbage that needs to be detoxed out again anyway.

Of course, you could get stuck into brown rice (free fibre !!) and veggies ( more free fibre!!)

jeff

(naturopath)

"GNC has it. Dn't know if there are any in Pattaya"

Awhile back, there was a kiosk-type shop along the front wall of Tops Market on the corner of 2nd Rd. and Pattaya Klang - they had the GNC brand of powdered psyllium.

There's also "Mucillin" which is available at Fascino and other pharmacies. It's an orange flavored product similar to powdered psyllium ( lsphaghula husk ) and made locally by Berlin Pharmaceutical.

GNC has it. Dn't know if there are any in Pattaya, there are a few in Bkk though.

Thanks for your reply.

Would appreciate a bit more information as to who or, what are GNC?.............. As you will probably gather from this question, I don't go to Bangkok that often!!!!

Thanks.

Sorry about that. GNC is an American supplement chain. There are several branches in Bangkok, there's for instance one in MBK, one in Silom, and a small one in Robinson at Asok.

They're quite pricey, they (used to) have pure psyllium husk powder which I found extremely effective. I've tried the Mucillin which is supposed to be made from the same thing but it really didn't do anything. It is much cheaper, for sure, and you can find it in any pharmacy. Maybe you can try both and see what works for you. Good luck!

Personally I'd use the husk rather than a fine powder. The point of psyllium is to put bulk fibre in, so I'd leave it as larger fibres that can absorb fluid better, and thus create the bulk that you want.

In which case then, switch to the Thai product Gluconnan. get it practically everywhere from the company Herbal One, but they do it in capsules. Break the capsules open and blend with your juice, water or whatever. let it hydrate a bit and drink. (if you let it sit, it will turn into gel at the bottom of the glass, but is still going to do its job.)

Will be cheaper and easier to find. The other post about using flax seeds is great too. You'll get your omega 3s that way, which is pretty lacking in thai food.

Avoid the packaged crap that has flavouring, coloring, artificial sweeteners etc in it. If you're trying to keep your system working, no point throwing in garbage that needs to be detoxed out again anyway.

Of course, you could get stuck into brown rice (free fibre !!) and veggies ( more free fibre!!)

jeff

(naturopath)

Thanks for the information.

You may be correct regarding husk being more effective than powder if being used primarily to keep ones system working. Having said this, the product I am currently using (purchased in the U.K.) is described as powder and works extremely well in this department. In fact, I was first introduced to Psyllium Husk Powder several years ago for this very reason............. Extensive business travel combined with lousy diet resulted in constipation (with a capital C!) issues.

Since taking early retirement and moving to Thailand, I now eat a very healthy diet and take regular exercise and the problems mentioned above are (I'm pleased to say) a distant memory.

If you refer to my original post you will see that I actually take Psyllium Husk Powder to help keep my cholesterol at a healthy level, especially the bad (LDL) cholesterol. The fact that this has proved to be so very successful makes me reluctant to make any changes whatsoever. The saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind.

Ideally, I would like to obtain the equivalent of what I am currently using which is "100% pure Psyllium Husk Powder with no extras (colours or flavourings) of any description". I am not unduly worried if this is known in Thailand under a different name (such as "Ispaghula") and whilst I would prefer the powdered version, the most important issue for me is purity as detailed above.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the breaking of capsules – could give me some additional options if I see exactly what I require in capsule format. Will also check out "Gluconnan".

I totally agree with you regarding additives as you will have noted from my specific requirements listed above.

Already eating plenty of brown rice at home (I don't think restaurants know it comes in colours!!!) and also fruit and vegetables which probably explains why my system is in such good working order.

"GNC has it. Dn't know if there are any in Pattaya"

Awhile back, there was a kiosk-type shop along the front wall of Tops Market on the corner of 2nd Rd. and Pattaya Klang - they had the GNC brand of powdered psyllium.

There's also "Mucillin" which is available at Fascino and other pharmacies. It's an orange flavored product similar to powdered psyllium ( lsphaghula husk ) and made locally by Berlin Pharmaceutical.

Many thanks for the information.

By coincidence (and due to the information from wpcoe in an earlier post confirming that Psyllium Husk and Ispaghula are one and the same) my wife found a supply of "Mucillin" in the pharmacy on the same floor as 'Carrefour' in Pattaya Klang earlier today and subsequently purchased a 400 gram container for 200 Baht.

Much as I appreciated her efforts, I was a little disappointed to note the orange flavouring. Also, there appears to be a distinct lack of information on the container regarding ingredients. All I can find is: "Each 11gr contains 3.4gr of Ispaghula Husk"......... Are we to assume the remaining 7.6gr contains the orange flavouring only or, the orange flavouring and some mystery ingredients???

Appreciate the directions regarding the kiosk and GNC products. I know exactly where you mean and will check this out. Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks.

Sorry about that. GNC is an American supplement chain. There are several branches in Bangkok, there's for instance one in MBK, one in Silom, and a small one in Robinson at Asok.

They're quite pricey, they (used to) have pure psyllium husk powder which I found extremely effective. I've tried the Mucillin which is supposed to be made from the same thing but it really didn't do anything. It is much cheaper, for sure, and you can find it in any pharmacy. Maybe you can try both and see what works for you. Good luck!

Thanks for clarifying the situation re GNC.

Interesting to note your comments regarding "Mucilin". Its effectiveness (or rather lack of!) may have something to do with the ingredients - refer my reply to SurfRider post #15.

I couldn't help but notice your choice of words when discussing the product which you have personally used, namely, "Pure Psyllium Husk Powder" and "which I found extremely effective". If you refer to my reply to khunjepp post #14 you will find my comments cover this very same subject.......................Perhaps you do get what you pay for?????????

Much as I appreciated her efforts, I was a little disappointed to note the orange flavouring. Also, there appears to be a distinct lack of information on the container regarding ingredients. All I can find is: "Each 11gr contains 3.4gr of Ispaghula Husk"......... Are we to assume the remaining 7.6gr contains the orange flavouring only or, the orange flavouring and some mystery ingredients???

If that's the brand I tried, the remaining 7.6g contains a lot of *sugar,* as well. It was *very* sweet.

My comments and question were actually directed to CobraSnakeNecktie in response to his post #2. It was my intention to reply to your post #3 once I had received his reply.

Anyway, this is certainly not a problem and your enthusiasm and interest in the subject matter (as a sponsor of 'Thai Visa Forum') is a refreshing change.

I have looked at your website and although your description of Psyllium Husk doesn't mention "Powder", the illustration looks very similar to the product I am currently using. The fact that the "How to use" and "Suggested dosage" instructions are also the same suggests the two products are probably identical.

For your information, the other product is packaged in a coloured container with an airtight seal. This means customers are unable to view the contents and probably explains why the supplier decided to include the word "Powder" in the description.

If you think about it, a product described as "Psyllium Husk" doesn't sound like the type of thing one would consider adding to a glass of water or, fruit juice! However, "Psyllium Husk Powder" somehow sounds more drinkable and suggests something which is "Fine" or, "Easily Mixed".

As previously mentioned, I will be making one final effort to obtain supplies in Pattaya as this would obviously be more convenient. However, if this proves unsuccessful I will place my order via your website.

Thanks for your help.

Thought you would be pleased to note that I have placed my order with your company today. For your information the order number is 93.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The online prices seems extraordinarily high for what is an essentially cheap by product....

Villa in BKK sells 0.5kg bags for about THB 190, this is the raw stuff not "Mucillin" which is full of sugar...

Keep in mind this stuff is used in cooking for adding fiber to things like muffins etc, so you will find it in the cooking ingredients section

The online prices seems extraordinarily high for what is an essentially cheap by product....

Villa in BKK sells 0.5kg bags for about THB 190, this is the raw stuff not "Mucillin" which is full of sugar...

Keep in mind this stuff is used in cooking for adding fiber to things like muffins etc, so you will find it in the cooking ingredients section

Could you tell me which Villa stores have it in stock ? I've been to a few (Srinakarin, Soi 33 etc) but have never found it.

You will also be able to buy it easily from most Indian stores, again quite cheaply, usually approx B80 / 120g.

Could you tell me which Villa stores have it in stock ? I've been to a few (Srinakarin, Soi 33 etc) but have never found it.

You will also be able to buy it easily from most Indian stores, again quite cheaply, usually approx B80 / 120g.

Have a look in villa at Major (opposite SCB park)......I bought 4 bags in there some months back, they also have flax seed etc....

the stuff is from Aussie and its in the baking ingredients section..its not the biggest Villa, but they do have some good stuff you cant seem to find anywhere else