Houseboats In Kanchanaburi Area

jaideeguy

I've heard and seen fotos of houseboats in or near Kanchanaburi on lakes or rivers near. Can anyone inform me as to details about renting or buying or even building my own.

The main questions are legalities?/ Mooring rights?/ Registration of vessel by falang?/ Access to elect?/ and are there any falangs doing this?/

Thanks in advance for any info......

I am in the process of looking into this matter myself. So far I have found out : A Falang can register a Houseboat in his own name ( like buying a car and register it in your name.) It would be an alternative to the common version of buying land witch would be in the name of Thai-Wife or Thai Girlfriend. Some food for thought ! Cheers.

Swissie.....that fact of ownership is one of my main motivations, besides the fact that it would be just cool to live on the water.....lake, river.....i would say ocean, but salt water makes a lot more problems and maintenance and I've seen that done that.

This post was inspired by a fantasy of mine for a long time and on the Chiang Rai forum there is a long discussion on converting a river boat to a houseboat and the general concensus is that the legalities of living aboard on the Mekong would be a can of worms with registration, ownership and the river's uncertin future.

That's why I'm transfering my fantasy back to LOS.....but not finding much info......yet

• 1 month later...

I am in the process of looking into this matter myself. So far I have found out : A Falang can register a Houseboat in his own name ( like buying a car and register it in your name.) It would be an alternative to the common version of buying land witch would be in the name of Thai-Wife or Thai Girlfriend. Some food for thought ! Cheers.

Swissie.....that fact of ownership is one of my main motivations, besides the fact that it would be just cool to live on the water.....lake, river.....i would say ocean, but salt water makes a lot more problems and maintenance and I've seen that done that.

This post was inspired by a fantasy of mine for a long time and on the Chiang Rai forum there is a long discussion on converting a river boat to a houseboat and the general concensus is that the legalities of living aboard on the Mekong would be a can of worms with registration, ownership and the river's uncertin future.

http://www.thaivisa....-on-the-mekong/

That's why I'm transfering my fantasy back to LOS.....but not finding much info......yet

On that Mekong thread, who was the guy who posted pictures of the houseboat he lived on in Kanchanaburi? The place was absolutely gorgeous.

Interesting thread! An alternative way of life, this is common in the U.K. People live in barges on canals all over, The only downside is the British winter, but in Thailand this would not be an issue. Moorings can be an issue but minimal compared to owning or renting property. My issue wouid be with mossies!