Never Wai A Waitress

saraburioz

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a Short time bar in Soi 6 and some old geezer started to wai all the girls, nobody was offended, but it did look a little strange. laugh.gif

It was Lolitas, wasn't it!?! :lol:

I find they usually prefer 20bht stuffed in their panties

Among other things. ;)

Why would i wai anyone ?

Because you live in Thailand. Among Thai people. It's not a difficult concept to grasp. Although after reading some of the posts on this forum I've come to the inescapable conclusion that knowing which shoe to put on the correct foot would be a difficult concept for some to grasp.

Why would i wai anyone ?

It is not my culture.

I kiss ( no i am not french 555) - i give handshakes - i hug.

I am farang.

That is my culture.

You are free to behave according to your culture. For myself, I try to learn as much about the culture of my host country as I can, and try to understand it. In fact, the basic knowledge that I could accumulate in the past 20 years has helped me to get accepted by the part of the Thai community that I respect and care about. Personally, that makes me happy.

But people are different, and that is probably OK. You might have other reasons for living in Thailand than I, and your reasons may have nothing to do with the culture or the people hosting you. I am sure you can be happy over here too.

I wai everybody I meet , the statues I pass by, the people in the pictures, and even wai the reflections in the mirror:lol:

Only if they wai first....

SC

I suspect that the statues I "wai" ,would acknowledge me as more superior than them , :unsure: you know those people they are so full of themselves :whistling:

I wai everybody I meet , the statues I pass by, the people in the pictures, and even wai the reflections in the mirror:lol:

SC

I suspect that the statues I "wai" ,would acknowledge me as more superior than them , :unsure: you know those people they are so full of themselves :whistling:

I can't believe that tosser in the mirror never wais... does he think I'm a waitress?

SC

If you wish to offer a polite gesture what right does anyone have to to judge if this is or is not acceptable,

What an odd thread, to do or not to do, up to you, if I see someone trying to be part of culture and offer a polite gesture it pleases me, I see so many non Thai people walking around Thailand with a face like thunder and looking like they own the place, also with an attitude that indicates they think they are above most people they meet and that all Thai's that offer service in anywhere like restaurants, shops and markets are second class to to them

SC

I can't believe that tosser in the mirror never wais... does he think I'm a waitress?

SC

I can't say this about the one I see in the mirror,:unsure: awkwardly enough ; we seem to wai each other spontaneously and synchronously at the same second . it is unexplained phenomenon I can tell you!:D

If you wish to offer a polite gesture what right does anyone have to to judge if this is or is not acceptable,

What an odd thread, to do or not to do, up to you, if I see someone trying to be part of culture and offer a polite gesture it pleases me, I see so many non Thai people walking around Thailand with a face like thunder and looking like they own the place, also with an attitude that indicates they think they are above most people they meet and that all Thai's that offer service in anywhere like restaurants, shops and markets are second class to to them

Whenever I wai a waitress, I always try to do it in such a way (sic) as to confirm the relative social positions, I think that knowing one's place in society is not a bad thing. If you want to change it, that;s up to you - either by changing yourself, or by changing society. But it would be a foolish competitor who did not know from where he was starting the race...

Maybe you've never had to work for customers...

Relationships are not defined by class; relationships are defined by the roles and responsibilities to one another f the parties in the relationship. The fact that a waitress is one's servant does not depend on her family or your job or family; it depends on your role as a customer in the restaurant.

SC

Whenever I wai a waitress, I always try to do it in such a way (sic) as to confirm the relative social positions,

i suppose one could put their foot on the waitress's head. :D

LOL! As others have pointed out in this thread, there are more ways to do it wrong that to do it right.

My recommendations:

If you like the culture and try to wai correctly, give it a try. If you don't do it correctly, the Thai people will still appreciate the attempt, in my and others' experience.

If you don't want to wai, then don't. Nobody will shoot or arrest you. But I do ask that you don't make fun of people who wai (be they Thai or farang, and regardless of whether they do it correctly or not).

Whenever I wai a waitress, I always try to do it in such a way (sic) as to confirm the relative social positions,

You've never employed a consultant, have you?

SC

Why do you ask? Is it common practice over here to put one's foot on a consultant's head?

SC

Why do you ask? Is it common practice over here to put one's foot on a consultant's head?

When one employs a consultant, it is ... pragmatic ... to treat them in a way such that they can maintain their belief that they are cleverer and know more than you do, while ensuring that they give the answers, results that you want, while making clear who is the patron in the relationship. To put one's foot on the head of one;s consultant would be less cost-effecitve than to light up one's treasury....

SC

When one employs a consultant, it is ... pragmatic ... to treat them in a way such that they can maintain their belief that they are cleverer and know more than you do, while ensuring that they give the answers, results that you want, while making clear who is the patron in the relationship. To put one's foot on the head of one;s consultant would be less cost-effecitve than to light up one's treasury....

I see... I didn't make that connection. :D

If you're not supposed to wai them, why are they called wai-tresses?

SC

SC, you have been caught in the trap of focussing on the obvious, and being blinded to the hidden,

The important part of the word Wai Tress isn't the wai, it is the tress...

Middle English tresse, from Old French, perhaps from Vulgar Latin *trichia, tricia.

So you only Wai to them if they are a Vulgar bird named Tricia, in the hope that you false show of respect will get you a leg over after closing time...

:doh:

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

Absolutely Right on....I think the OP is the <deleted> for posting this rubbish in the first place.