Where Do Farang Go When They Die?

OlRedEyes

If your visa is ok I suppose they cant send you to the IDC(?) for deportation? Visa doesn't state you have to be alive, does it?

But seriously, can a Thai family bury you here, or are you sent 'home'.

You are realy very dumb, why do you care about a dead meat with no

soul in it ?

Are you referring to yourself here, thaiedup?

Thanks to those that supplied the info they have. Where would one go to find some definitive info on this?

One would go here:

Where do farangs go when they die?

jokeafterlife1bw.jpg

50% go to Thailand :D , where, even though they complain incessantly, they are very happy and satisfied!

Extreme caution is advised for farangs who do NOT go to Thailand. The alternative destination is booby-trapped and Saddam Hussein will end up there sooner or later.

Here's what happened to the last 3 farangs at the alternative destination:

They arrived in Nomansland, where they were met by Dark Angel who says, "I will ask you a simple question. If you tell the truth you will enter Heaven, but if you lie, you will go to H*ll.

To the first farang he asked, "How many times did you cheat on your wife?"

Replied he, "I was a good husband. I never cheated on my wife."

"Very good!" replied Dark Angel. Not only will I allow you in, but for being faithful to your wife I will give you a huge mansion and a limo for your transportation."

To the second farang He asked, "How many times did you cheat on your wife?"

Said he, "I cheated on my wife twice."

"I will allow you to come in, but for your unfaithfulness, you will get a four-bedroom house and a BMW!" said Dark Angel.

To the third farang he then asked, "So, how many times did you cheat on your wife?"

Farang #3 replied, "I cheated on my wife about eight times."

Dark Angel said, "I will allow you to come in, but for your unfaithfulness, you will get a one-room apartment, and a Yugo for your transportation.

A couple of hours later, the second and third farangs saw the first farang crying his eyes out and utterly miserable.

"Why are you crying?" they asked. "You got the mansion and limo!"

The first farang replied, "I'm crying because I saw my wife a little while ago riding a skateboard!"

:o:D

I don't think you'll get any definitive info on this except from a lawyer. There would have to be a maximum time that a corpse can be kept in a morgue at public expense before being disposed of.

All the farang I know who died here had a Buddhist cremation organized by their family. The employer is often a sponsor at Thai funerals and the four most senior guests each evening will sit in the sala and present gifts to the monks. I've done this a couple of times. The guests may also make a donation.

Presumably if a farang resident with no local family or friends dies here, the embassy contacts his family overseas to see what they want to do. If they can't be contacted or don't want to know, I assume there is the Buddhist equivalent of a pauper's funeral held at public expense.

My GF says she will use my ashes to make a bone china vase and keep it to remember me by. After she dies, I'll probably continue on as a cherished family heirloom or live out the rest of my days in some dusty curio shop.

Thanks to those that supplied the info they have. Where would one go to find some definitive info on this?

Your embassy/consulate would be a logical place to start; since you don't have a Thai ID card, the authorities would simply locate your passport and let the embassy chase up any family, act as a go-between for insurance payments or whatever.

Apologies for raising a particularly unhappy side of this - but not all tsunami victims have been identified yet, Thai or farang. I understood that they are using dental records and DNA testing, although I don't know how that works - presumably, families back home notify their govts. who make arrangements for data to be gathered and sent to Thailand. I think they are using temporary graves? until a decision can be made by the family. Perhaps someone else on the forum has been involved in the arrangements?

Your embassy/consulate would be a logical place to start; since you don't have a Thai ID card, the authorities would simply locate your passport and let the embassy chase up any family, act as a go-between for insurance payments or whatever.

Apologies for raising a particularly unhappy side of this - but not all tsunami victims have been identified yet, Thai or farang. I understood that they are using dental records and DNA testing, although I don't know how that works - presumably, families back home notify their govts. who make arrangements for data to be gathered and sent to Thailand. I think they are using temporary graves? until a decision can be made by the family. Perhaps someone else on the forum has been involved in the arrangements?

The authorities in Phangna are in the process of buying air conditioned coffins to transport the identified deceased from the freezer to their hometown temple, at least in Thailand. As many know, Thai funerals often take several days hence problems of putrification. The coffins are reusable as the body is removed from the coffin in the final moments.

Turning to another point, I've often wondered how does the chemical, formaline or formalyde, excuse my ignorance,injected to preserve corpses, manage to circulate round the blood system after death and the heart has stopped beating? Or is it injected into tissue and slowly diffuses?

My GF says she will use my ashes to make a bone china vase and keep it to remember me by. After she dies, I'll probably continue on as a cherished family heirloom or live out the rest of my days in some dusty curio shop.

That's a good idea. Not bone China but I've seen such heirlooms that contains bones and other organs of Medici family in Medici chapel and San Lorenzeo church in Florence, Italy and they were immensely beautiful albeit spooky.

BTW, being Japanese I know where I'll end up in Thailand if I have no family both in Japan nor Thailand to claim the body when I die here. There is a charnel for Japanese expats whose next-of-kin can not be located in Japan or for permanent residents whose family does not wish the ashes to be sent to family grave in Japan. It is in Wat Ratchaburana near Saphan Phut bridge in China Town and looked after by the Japanese Association of Thailand (with Buddhist monk from Japan present). Heard it contains the ashes of some 420 deads from as far back as 1895, including Japanese prostitutes who were in Thailand before and during WW2 and didn't/couldn't make it back to Japan. Japanese Association of Thailand holds Buddhist sermon there twice a year. However, as most of my fellow citizens in Thailand are not permanent residents but corporate employees working in Thailand on expat package and their families, most dead are sent back to Japan with the help of the embassy which will arrange the body be sent back in whole or in ashes. Heard every once in a while when it gets over crowded with urns, older ashes in Wat Ratchaburana charnel are sprinkled into the Chaophraya River.

I remember there used to be a Christian cemetery on south Silom for the farang expats living in Thailand from 19th century but heard it was relocated to Nakorn Pathom. Is there any other such a Christian cemetery for farangs or should I assume farangs to be cremated or buried in line with the family tradition of their spouses (cremated and sprinkled in river/sea if married to Thai/buried in suburban cemetery if married to Chinese Thai)?

Edited by Nordlys