Don'T Say 'Same Same'

saraburioz

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line is I would avoid preaching to your wife or gf that in English we don't use double words or repeating characters to add emphasis. Because she may end up hitting you instead of responding with love when you write something in her next birthday card like, "I love you soooooooo very very much"

Thankfully we can all get along fine using ThiEnglish rolleyes.gif

Edited by jcbangkok

So the OP has already started threads ordering us to not call ourselves khun, not to wai waitresses, and not to say "same-same." I am pretty happy that I have someone who can tell me what not to do in order not to look like a plonker or a <deleted> or whatever.

I am eagerly awaiting his next set of orders, quivering in anticipation on what they might be. Don't use a fork to shovel food into your spoon while eating? Don't wear amulets? Don't check your bill carefully before paying? I am just so excited and can't wait to find out!

Can anyone explain to me why Thais do that? I always found it odd. The mother of the Thai kids I take care of always says "children children" even when sending an e-mail. I get no logical explanation from her, so I just accept it.

Different reasons like to form plural or express emphasis.

The children children example:

In Thai the word for child is "dek", for children is it "dek dek". (the word for child just get repeated)

So the mistake the not perfect English speaking native Thais speaker makes when he want to speak not only of one child but children is it to repeat the word in English. Would be very logical for a Thai speaker.

Thank you for the logical explanation. It was worth all the sillyness in this topic.

Not nearly as much of a giveaway than otherwise 'respectable' looking folks who use 'pum puey' out of the blue.

:)

I didn't know that. I used to teach at a government school no where near a bar area or Issan and the kids would say Pum Puey all the time when referring to each other. Does that mean that their mom's were bar girls?

here is a long list of Thai words that get repeated to express a certain meaning.

http://www.thai-language.com/id/132853

Like all sites that tutor Thai/English, be very careful.

...งู ๆ ปลา ๆ nguu nguu bplaa bplaa ...a little bit

As far as I am aware the literal translation is 'snake snake fish fish', and if you manage to pronounce that properly, very difficult for the western mouth, you could well find out that it doesn't mean 'a little bit'

The Chinese for 'thanks' is 'Sie-sie'. A lot of Chinese think that 'thankyou' is one word that means 'sie-sie'. So when they want to say 'Thank you', they do a direct translation from the Chinese 'sie-sie ni' ("ni" being "you") and say "Thankyou you"

Same same but different when Thai's say 'children children'

Edited by Thakkar

here is a long list of Thai words that get repeated to express a certain meaning.

http://www.thai-language.com/id/132853

Like all sites that tutor Thai/English, be very careful.

...งู ๆ ปลา ๆ nguu nguu bplaa bplaa ...a little bit

As far as I am aware the literal translation is 'snake snake fish fish', and if you manage to pronounce that properly, very difficult for the western mouth, you could well find out that it doesn't mean 'a little bit'

I love a bit of nguu nguu plaa plaa action...

Literally it translates as snake snake fish fish... but it is baby talk like poo poo or tum tum... it does mean a little bit, but I understood it to refers specifically to language understanding...

I love trotting it out when a Thai says "oh, you speak Thai?" "Mai Dai, phom phuut pasah thai nguu nguu plaa plaa, khrap"

a) I says that I speak a little more than a little, but I am not kidding myself...

b ) It says that I have made an effort to learn Thai from Thai's not just a course...

c) It surprises a Thai that I would know it, and because it is baby talk, they get a giggle out of it...

d) it gives the Thais a reason to continue a conversation more that if, like every other farang, I just reply with "nid noi khrap"

Now don't all you <deleted>'s go stealing my ice breaker, or I will have to start a thread calling you all <deleted>...

IMHO the OP is a <deleted> <deleted>... In Thai, that could mean either big <deleted>, or many <deleted>, depending on the classifier...

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

OP, please continue to remind me to spend more time worrying about what I am saying/doing/thinking whilst living in Thailand.

I'm obviously too busy just being me; relaxing and enjoying life - I promise to buck up, be more mindful and to be less of a <deleted>/plonker in the future.

Thank you, thank you.

Oops, there I go again. Now what was the question?

cheesy.gif

After speaking to Thais all day, I sometimes find myself speaking to English speakers the same way. Instead of saying something like, "lets not go now because it is too hot" ... I'll end up saying, "No go now, hot"

After an hour with some Indians, I find myself nodding my head from side to side when agreeing with someone.

--

(Actually, Indians also nod agreeably, then say, "yes, but I don't agree" —which can be confusing).

I think this thread is very very odd.

Thais have their own language (at least 3 actually) and it seems strange to put them down for using certain practices in their native language when using English. I would wager most folks posting here are not fluent in Thai and if they do attempt to speak Thai they will likely have the sentence structure wrong.

As for English speakers picking up on ThiEnglish .. I don't think it has anything to do with spending too much time in the bars but simply spending a lot of time around Thais who are not fluent in English ... which is the vast majority of them. They only speak English so so because it has many many more rules than the Thai language and Education here is not the best unless you have money.

But I do believe this subject has been covered over and over but we continue to go on and on about it.

Lets just be thankful we don't repeat words in English.

I went OVER and OVER your clever post to see how many Thai languages you listed.hehehe,hahaha.There is Central Thai, Lanna (northern) Thai, Lao Thai, Isan Thai, Southern Thai.I am not sure what speak in Eastern Thailand( Chantaburi, Trat). In my village, the primary language is Suay, but many people also speak 1of 2 Khmer languages.None speak any form of Thai as their first language.As for how many other languages are spoken in, say, Northern Thailand, I have no idea.However amongst those who attempt to communicate with me, they speak Tinglish ,if they can. Tinglish is definitely not a B/G language only. It is quite universal.

Can anyone explain to me why Thais do that? I always found it odd. The mother of the Thai kids I take care of always says "children children" even when sending an e-mail. I get no logical explanation from her, so I just accept it.

Different reasons like to form plural or express emphasis.

The children children example:

In Thai the word for child is "dek", for children is it "dek dek". (the word for child just get repeated)

So the mistake the not perfect English speaking native Thais speaker makes when he want to speak not only of one child but children is it to repeat the word in English. Would be very logical for a Thai speaker.

I was under the impression 'dek' was child, 'dek dek' was young child

Muan Gan Tear Teck Tang!

(Same, Same but different)

So the OP has already started threads ordering us to not call ourselves khun, not to wai waitresses, and not to say "same-same." I am pretty happy that I have someone who can tell me what not to do in order not to look like a plonker or a <deleted> or whatever.

I am eagerly awaiting his next set of orders, quivering in anticipation on what they might be. Don't use a fork to shovel food into your spoon while eating? Don't wear amulets? Don't check your bill carefully before paying? I am just so excited and can't wait to find out!

I think the next one should be

After seeing an elephant crap, don't try to copy it

Hen Chang Khee, Khee Dtaam Chang

Don’t capitalize the “T” at the end of “Don’t”, even when it’s in a title. You look like an ignorant wanke_r.

Sorry, I could not resist and sorry if someone beat me to it.

Most people wouldn't try to beat you to that as most of us have worked out that the forum software does that for you.

Shall I add some derogatory term to the end of this post.

Nah, can't be arsed.

I think these threads are funny...is it all by the same bloke? The same one who posted "don't call yourself Khun", "don't wai a waitress" etc cos you look like a total <deleted>?

Might I suggest he puts in all into one thread all the issues that he feels makes the farang a <deleted>/plonker/whatever. Makes for easy reading :lol:

I think these threads are funny...is it all by the same bloke? The same one who posted "don't call yourself Khun", "don't wai a waitress" etc cos you look like a total <deleted>?

Might I suggest he puts in all into one thread all the issues that he feels makes the farang a <deleted>/plonker/whatever. Makes for easy reading :lol:

Why? It's like a series. Spread out the fun. It is an excellent concept. Looking forward to future topics on the theme. This could be the new Glitterman and his moon cheese series.

I love a bit of nguu nguu plaa plaa action...

Literally it translates as snake snake fish fish... but it is baby talk like poo poo or tum tum... it does mean a little bit, but I understood it to refers specifically to language understanding...

Thanks for that explanation, and this is one of the confusing things about the Thai language, meanings can change depending on different situations I find.

I had nguu nguu plaa plaa explained to me by a Thai, and he said it is meant to describe someone who tries his hand at everything but isn't very good at anything.

I agree about the <deleted> <deleted> statement ...... hee hee.

Why? It's like a series. Spread out the fun. It is an excellent concept. Looking forward to future topics on the theme. This could be the new Glitterman and his moon cheese series.

Returning from Google I have to conclude that I have missed out on much in life.

ilove the 'same same..' in hebrew we use the english part 'same same' and then in hebrew: aval aher (but differnt)... its become part of street lexicon meaning that the person saying it is being cynical about something: like when u order something in a store and they bring u something similar but not specifically what u asked for (middle east here , remember?) - then we say: ah. same same aval aher... its not what i want...

probably brought back from all the travellers from thailand/india/nepal it seems to be the only thing that stayed with people as far as language goes. also, so many thai workers here.

but then again, we have double accenting also: pretty pretty (meaning, obviously, very pretty); small, small (meaning super small, micro size like when ordering soemthng)large large , etc. it doesnt work in hebrew with anything that has more then two syllables, and only for certain adjectives... and more women then men will use this style and most children will also.

as for thai languages: there are languages and dialects; mutually intelligable and not... a wealth of info about that in the language forum for anyone interested. strangely enough , i seem to remember that the 'same same' subject has come up more then once there also, and received more elucid and educational responses. but the ones here made me laugh.:))

bina

israel

So the OP has already started threads ordering us to not call ourselves khun, not to wai waitresses, and not to say "same-same."  I am pretty happy that I have someone who can tell me what not to do in order not to look like a plonker or a <deleted> or  whatever.  

I am eagerly awaiting his next set of orders, quivering in anticipation on what they might be.  Don't use a fork to shovel food into your spoon while eating?  Don't wear amulets?  Don't check your bill carefully before paying?  I am just so excited and can't wait to find out!

For a non-native English speaker like me, it is always instructive to learn new important words like "<deleted>" or "plonker".

"Same same" is already part of my vocabulary, though.