Expats Living North East Thailand

moffo

Hi All - First Post . I am building a house about 12 km from Chaturat and would like to comunicate with any expats living up in this neck of the woods. I am back home in Australia at the moment but am coming back in December for 6 months. Will have to do a border run and was wondering what one wouuld be the closest and maybe for a bit of scenery and tourist facilities??

Chatturat is in Chaiyaphum province

I have an ex pat friend in Chatturat but he is currently in Ireland but will return in November ... teacher

Not sure about visa runs but you will figure it out after while ... most go to Laos I think ... you cannot get a one year Visa ?

Which province is Chaturat in?

Welcome to the forum btw.

//edit/add welcome

Welcome to the Forum. Chatturat is one hour from Korat. My wife is from Chaiyapum, and we travel that way when we go to her home town. Their is a Big C Super Center about 30 minutes from Chatturat. Very nice store. As a matter of fact I wish we had a Big C that was as nice as the one in Chaiyapum.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...
<br />Welcome to the Forum. Chatturat is one hour from Korat. My wife is from Chaiyapum, and we travel that way when we go to her home town. Their is a Big C Super Center about 30 minutes from Chatturat.  Very nice store. As a matter of fact I wish we had a Big C that was as nice as the one in Chaiyapum.<br />Barry<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for the welcome fellahs.

I was just wondering how you all managed with all the flooding in the North East area.

My GF was cut off from Chaturat for a week but our house was high and dry.

I would still like to communicate with any expats in the area about December. I will be going to Chaiyaphum to do some shopping for the house.

Would welcome a beer with anyone in the area at that time.

Cheers

... and you'll know you have truly acclimated to Chaturat when you say to yourself: Maybe tonight I'll go out and communicate with a bunch of expats in this neck of the woods... NAAH!

Jazzbo - What is that post supposed to mean??

I guess it means -- as this is in fact Thailand -- that you will be 'truly acclimated' when you are happy to spend your time with the citizens of Thailand and feel no great urge to or perceived comfort level in hanging with those persons who are non-native

I guess it means -- as this is in fact Thailand -- that you will be 'truly acclimated' when you are happy to spend your time with the citizens of Thailand and feel no great urge to or perceived comfort level in hanging with those persons who are non-native

Agree.

Cheers from the boonies between Prakhon Chai and Prasat - Ban Sow Narm :ph34r:

Agree.

LOL so true

Agree.

In which case you have many choices for mixing with natives or Falangs who are native-speaking.

Some of both breeds have been known to frequent the many meeting hostelries in your neck of the woods.

Some of both breeds have been known to frequent the many meeting hostelries in your neck of the woods. Yes ... and then you can enjoy the scintillating conversation of: How much do/did you pay for 'x' ? ... oh, I would never pay that much for 'x' ... I would only pay 'y' for 'x' ...

'x' = car, house payments, rent, electricity, girl Friend / wife, gf/ w's family, dinner last night, steak: domestic or imported, airline ticket home, appendectomy, etc.

'y' = a differential sufficiently lower to evidence how gullible and naive you are.

Some of both breeds have been known to frequent the many meeting hostelries in your neck of the woods. Yes ... and then you can enjoy the scintillating conversation of: How much do/did you pay for 'x' ? ... oh, I would never pay that much for 'x' ... I would only pay 'y' for 'x' ...

'x' = car, house payments, rent, electricity, girl Friend / wife, gf/ w's family, dinner last night, steak: domestic or imported, airline ticket home, appendectomy, etc.

'y' = a differential sufficiently lower to evidence how gullible and naive you are.

Me thinks Mr Jazzbo mixes with the wrong people.

Please don't impose your jaundiced view on other people.

Last evening's conversations, amongst the local Orang-utans, included a discussion about jingreet farming, the impact on rice prices of the floods, the obsenity of professional football player's wages, the indescretions of the wife of one of the Falang group, the indescretions of one of the falang group, the effectiveness of the UK fiscal policy, a selection of Thai words/phrases, and their appropriate useage, Norman Wisdom, Mike Read, Thai driving education and the size of the tits on the waitress.

i would describe that ecclectic mix as being suitable/likely conversation points for a Peer of the realm to unemployed labourer.

Anyone wishing to communicate exclusively in the native tongue had half a dozen Thais to choose from.

Agree.

In which case you have many choices for mixing with natives or Falangs who are native-speaking.

Some of both breeds have been known to frequent the many meeting hostelries in your neck of the woods.

:D

Jassbo Thanks for the clarification of your post and for enlightening me on the fact that I am building my house in the boom docks of Thailand where no one speaks English and I am planning to live - I would never have known :jap:

Anywyay you certainlay did spark up the topic a bit and I too would like to know how big are the waitress's tits?? :unsure:

Hey, no problem ... in your boonies they might not even speak Thai only pasah Lao -- As for wanting to know how big are the waitress's tits?? ... I can't help you there ... I only observe whether the t-ts are hard enough to hammer nails.

You sound like an intelligent chap to me

can you re-arrange these words &lt;deleted&gt; boreing sad

BTW that wouldn't be Last evening's conversations at the pub that I own **...

can you re-arrange these words &lt;deleted&gt; - boreing - sad -- Yes: I was planning on boring (sp.) an irrigation hole yesterday but I was sad that the GF's &lt;deleted&gt; got in the way. -

** from 'Western Foods' -- Posted 2010-10-10 23:32: We tried 150g and 200g - the latter was most popular with Falang customers, Thais prefering the smaller one.

Edited by jazzbo

You sound like an intelligent chap to me

can you re-arrange these words &lt;deleted&gt; boreing sad

Nice one grimleybob.

I do like sarcasm mixed with humour. May well be lost on the recipient though.

BTW that wouldn't be Last evening's conversations at the pub that I own **...

can you re-arrange these words &lt;deleted&gt; - boreing - sad -- Yes: I was planning on boring (sp.) an irrigation hole yesterday but I was sad that the GF's &lt;deleted&gt; got in the way. -

** from 'Western Foods' -- Posted 2010-10-10 23:32: We tried 150g and 200g - the latter was most popular with Falang customers, Thais prefering the smaller one.

Mr Jazzbo - your trawling which (as recognised by other correspondents) verges on stalking is misplaced:-

1. Farang's cannot own pubs or other establishments.

2. I would not operate a bar if you paid me.

3. Re-read post 14 again and take note that I was simply commenting on the conversations that were taking place.

4. Answer to TBWG - "larger than average" seemed to be the consensus.

It was not I that posted re: Hamburgers: WE tried 150g and 200g - the latter was most popular with Falang customers

Personally I've never been a fan of fishing; trawling or otherwise ... why do some people move to Thailand and then have adjustment problems simply because they can not get good 'mushy peas'?

Edited by jazzbo

It was not I that posted re: Hamburgers: WE tried 150g and 200g - the latter was most popular with Falang customers

Personally I've never been a fan of fishing; trawling or otherwise ... why do some people move to Thailand and then have adjustment problems simply because they can not get good 'mushy peas'?

Re: first sentence - why assume, from this comment, that I own a pub ?

Life is not worth living without good mushy peas.

Then again, life is not worth living without good Pad Krapow Moo.

Says it all really.

Re: first sentence - why assume, from this comment, that I own a pub ? Why not? Oh sorry -- your wife maybe owns the pub (WE)

... I now realize when certain persons post on ThaiVisa they claim exemption form any grammatical inferences common to the English language whether of the Commonwealth or Yank (Irish?) variety...

Edited by jazzbo

Re: first sentence - why assume, from this comment, that I own a pub ? Why not? Oh sorry -- your wife maybe owns the pub (WE)

... I now realize when certain persons post on ThaiVisa they claim exemption form any grammatical inferences common to the English language whether of the Commonwealth or Yank (Irish?) variety...

OK - as this is taking time to sink in for you, I will make it simple:-

WHY ASSUME PUB

Easier now ?

Must go, I have to attend to the dray delivery.

Edited by cardholder

As a Yank I presume a 'pub' is where persons go to sit around and have conversations for hours on end about mostly the same things which they would converse about back home; a 'restaurant' is where people go to eat ...

but no problem: If I go more than a week or so without someone calling me an idiot, moron, twa-t, or comment on my empty life or 'sad' existence, I start to think I must be losing my touch.

Edited by jazzbo