Downloading Torrents

Westerner

Hi

I know quite a few of you download torrents from thebox.bz and uknova.com and wonder if anyone has the same problem as me. I download into utorrents but it takes approximately 1 hour for the torrents to start to download and then some of them stop for a while (a couple of hours) and then start again.

Would appreciate any help/advice from you computer geeks out there:rolleyes:.

Thanks,

W.

Remember it is dependant on how many other people are seeding or leeching the torrent that you want. Also there are different time zones, so some people might turn their computers off.

Always look for the torrent with the most seeders, depends on what you are downloading, I use piratebay.org for Match of the Day, and ahashare.com for Fifth Gear.

I upgraded my utorrent and if I remember correctly thebox does not let you download if you have a version they do not accept.

Also remember some people download and then run, without seeding the torrent, so it makes it even harder to get it. I once had a torrent stuck 98% for days, in the end I just deleted it, cause people do not give back what they get.

Thanks everybody. I didn't realise you could run more than one torrent client, so I'm going to download vuze and put my next torrent into that and see if it works better for me than utorrent.

W.

It might work better it might not, it is a question of how many seeders it has, why not download the same torrent into Vuze and check it that way. This way you will see if it is better or not. And you can download the same torrent into two different clients.

I use Vuse and stream to the TV via their PS3 media server and it works well. as other note, it varies because of lots of reasons. I keep my "seeding scores " in the green . Giving back what I download help others avoid the stuck on 98% problem

Thanks everybody. I didn't realise you could run more than one torrent client, so I'm going to download vuze and put my next torrent into that and see if it works better for me than utorrent.

W.

I forgot to mention that I use uTorrent and Emule concurrently. No problem running two.

Don't forget to use the allowed versions and not the banned ones. From The Box.

Allowed Torrent Clients/Versions

(Updated: 2nd August 2010)

** If your client/version is not found on the approved list below, please consider it to be non-approved and use an approved client/version.

** Usage of non-approved clients/versions is blocked by our tracker, your client will not be able to seed or leach and your client will receive a banned client message.

** Usage of non-approved clients/versions will not result in your account being warned or disabled, however your account continues to be subject to all the site rules.

** Only stable releases will be tested for approval - Alpha, Beta, Release Candidates, Experimental versions will not be tested with the exception of uTorrentMac.

** Please feel free to let the staff know of any newly released versions and they will schedule the testing of the version as soon as possible.

** Testing of new clients/versions is a co-operative effort between volunteers and the staff to ensure that the client/version is properly and fairly communicating with the tracker.

** Final decision on whether a client/version is approved or non-approved for this site resides with the Sysops/Administrators.

Multi-Platform Clients (Windows, Linux and Mac)

Vuze

Recommended version: 4.2.0.2 {Download Links: Windows Mac Linux}

Only approved versions: 2.5.0.4, 4.1.0.2, 4.1.0.4, 4.2.0.0, 4.2.0.2

Latest version tested: 4.4.0.4 (Result: Banned)

Notes: Azureus/Vuze downgrade information here

BitTornado (aka Torrentflux)

Recommended version: 0.3.18 {Download Links: Windows Mac Linux}

Only approved versions: 0.3.17, 0.3.18

Latest version tested: 0.3.18 (Result: Approved)

Notes: 0.3.18 is experimental but still approved

Windows Clients

uTorrent

WARNING! uTorrent 2.0.1, 2.0.2 ,2.0.3 and 2.0.4 are not approved and you will use it at your own risk, including if you get disabled for cheating in any way when you were not or loss of ratio. The Site is not responsible for how uT 2.0.* versions behaves.

Recommended version: 1.8.2 {Download Link: Windows}

Only approved versions: 1.6.1, 1.7.7, 1.8.2, 1.8.3

uTorrent downgrade information here

Deluge

Recommended version: 1.2.3 {Download Link: Windows}

Only approved versions: 1.2.3

Latest version tested: 1.2.3 (Result: Approved)

Notes: n/a

The first thing you have to learn is to be patient.

People do turn off their comuters, so there may not be a seed for a while.

Where I live I can only work with torrents between 20:00 and 04:00 GMT.

I get people askign for a re-seed after just 6 hours........... :annoyed:

I use uTorrent 1.8.3, the highest version approved by TheBox,

but have experimented with Vuze.

If a torrent does get stuck for several days, then check it out at the private tracker,

as most do allow you to aske for a re-seed.

Do not do this with public trackers like PirateBay, especially for a "new" high def film

as you may get a shot across the bows from the torrent police.. :bah:

It happened to me with a BD film, that leeched to 96%.

I am sure it was a sting operation.

You can use a site like torrentz dot com to find other trackers for the torrent file and then add them (just copy and paste) to your torrent. You can also Google the hash to find other trackers. Either action can greatly increase the download/upload as you can find more seeders.

W.

It might work better it might not, it is a question of how many seeders it has, why not download the same torrent into Vuze and check it that way. This way you will see if it is better or not. And you can download the same torrent into two different clients.

Did what you suggested beano, but it was no better. I'll probably just stick with utorrent now.

UKNova have a waiting time for a download to start if you have a low ratio.

The Box don't have a waiting time so can't guess why downloads should not start almost immediately.

I am using uTorrent V2.0.4 (Build 21586) and though it's not on The Box's approved list there seems to be no problem with it as my uploads register and that is the main worry for not using some clients.

uTorrent V2.0.4 has some new features and is easier to set up than older versions.

Under Connections don't randomize ports select a port number between 40000 and 65000 and make sure to forward it otherwise you will not be contactable and you'll fall foul of the ratio police. Also check "Enable UPnP port mapping" and "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping"

Under Options - Setup Guide you can run a test to check your connection. You can also check your countability here Port checker

Free Simple Port Forwarding

Hope some of this helps someone.

:)