Price Of House Wine

eyebee

I am amazed at the difference in prices of house wine in different restaurants. I love a glass or two of red wine, and like to drink it with a nice meal, but some restaurants seem to way overcharge. OK, I know that wine isn't cheap in Thailand, and that different places may buy different quality of wines, but house wine isn't normally the best.

For example, at Nang Nual a good size glass of wine is 80 baht, and at The Sportsman in soi 13, 90 baht. This I consider reasonable. However at Gullivers they have recently put the price of a glass of wine (no larger than those already mentioned) up from 165 baht a glass to 185. And the wine seems to be of worse quality than before. Their meals ain't cheap either, at around 400 for a small steak and chips. At the Pink Lady wine is about 70 baht, but it comes in a TINY glass.

I know that many restaurants depend on the the drinks to make a profit rather than the food, but if the wine prices are too high, it puts me off going again. What do others think?

In regards to your question, I think the same as you, if the wine is too expensive it would discourage me from going.

Small restaurant I used to go to charges 75 baht,decent size glass, very reasonable I thought.

Gullivers is too expensive at 185 baht.

I noticed a cafe bar/restaurant in naklua, soi 12 was charging 250 baht:blink: for a glass of house wine,that`s the highest I`ve seen and no I didn`t stop for one