New Nyc Style Jewish Deli Menu Plus Wine Bar/Gallery Opens

Jingthing

Richard, of Amor Restaurant fame in Boyztown, has redone the space with a fresh concept.

It is now called STREET LIFE.

The menu looks very promising!

Deli food such as hot patrami/corned beef (salt beef), special bagels, lox, chopped liver, etc.

Plus a wine bar and art gallery. OK, rather an odd mix but the place is smack in the middle of Boyztown so why not.

The prices are on the high side but not so bad IF the food turns out to be good.

I was never a fan of Amor but lots of people were, especially for some American style desserts, so who knows, this MAY be a good one. We'll see.

Any live reports, please post here.

http://www.streetlife-pattaya.com/menu.htm

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot Pastrami is a great start, but it does not a New York Deli make!

• Latkes
  • Knishes
  • Matzoh Ball Soup
  • Dr. Brown's Celery Tonic
  • Hebrew National Hot Dogs

That's not chopped liver!

I totally agree. More is needed. Go there and speak to Richard. I want all of that but don't care for hot dogs. Some of those would be harder to do than sandwiches though and it sounds like he went for an EASY TO PREPARE menu, so it might not ever be a go.

Edited by Jingthing

10% service charge?is this common in the gay community? No kids so more disposable income?

I don't think so and have not noticed that at all. Nothing to do with being in a gay area. It is a high rent area and kind of a tourist trap area, so the prices for everything tend to be higher in that area.

BTW, it's just a restaurant and wine bar, not a gay bar per se. You don't have to be gay to enjoy it (if the food is good which I can't comment on yet).

Edited by Jingthing

While it looks tempting I refuse to pay VAT or SC on top of menu price. 99% of the restaurants include that in their price.

Your choice. This place though DOES include VAT in the stated menu price, but then adds 10 percent service charge.

Edited by Jingthing

Wow, menu looks pretty good (hey, this is Pattaya, not NYC after all). Gonna have to give 'em a try: Hot corned beef sandwich on Jewish rye with spicy brown mustard on one half and Thousand island on the other; side of chopped liver, side of coleslaw & a few pickles! Wow! Anybody gotta cold can of Dr. Brown's Diet (of course) Black Cherry soda? Oy, vey!

B)

post-72929-093497900 1286875433_thumb.jp

While it looks tempting I refuse to pay VAT or SC on top of menu price. 99% of the restaurants include that in their price.

Your choice. This place though DOES include VAT in the stated menu price, but then adds 10 percent service charge.

10% Service Charge? in Pattaya? For the Jewish equivalent of lukewarm roast beef in a bread-roll with a paper napkin on the side, served by a teenage rent-boy? They're having a laugh!

10% Service Charge? in Pattaya? For the Jewish equivalent of lukewarm roast beef in a bread-roll with a paper napkin on the side, served by a teenage rent-boy? They're having a laugh!

He won't have any trouble attracting staff if he shares that fee though. I remember Amor's had professional service but I agree serving a sandwich isn't very taxing. However, nobody's forcing the meat down your throat, mate, McD's is down the road. Anyway, some more for the wish list --

Cheese blintzes!

Smoked white fish!

Beef brisket platter!

Beef barley soup!

Cold Jewish style borscht!

Matzah brie or omelette cooked with lox or smoked fish!

Edited by Jingthing

is it common for Jewish deli's to sell pork?

I give this place a couple of months. Poor location, straight folks won't venture into boyztown and the gay cheap charlies are turned off by a 10% service charge.

No, pork wouldn't be sold at a traditional Jewish deli, but it's not a big deal except if you are a Kosher observant Jew (most aren't) or Muslim (I get the idea most are on the pork question). It would be a bad business plan to start a business only targeting Jews in Thailand, but things like reuben sandwiches have wide appeal.

I predict the place will do VERY WELL, if the food is good, and their pictures of sandwiches look good. They are indeed doing SOMETHING DIFFERENT. How rare that is in Pattaya, not another fish and chips joint. I also disagree with you about non-gays, always saw many non-gays at Amor, it's not an issue, and that place was even more of a caching-er than the prices for the new place indicate. Boyztown is a tourist trap and attracts many non-gays just to gawk, gay expats generally avoid the area, but I think many will try out this new place, and if the food is good, like I said, I predict a winner.

Of course, homophobes, stay away.

Edited by Jingthing

I give this place a couple of months. Poor location, straight folks won't venture into boyztown and the gay cheap charlies are turned off by a 10% service charge.

No, pork wouldn't be sold at a traditional Jewish deli, but it's not a big deal except if you are a Kosher observant Jew (most aren't) or Muslim (I get the idea most are on the pork question). It would be a bad business plan to start a business only targeting Jews in Thailand, but things like reuben sandwiches have wide appeal.

I predict the place will do VERY WELL, if the food is good, and their pictures of sandwiches look good. They are indeed doing SOMETHING DIFFERENT. How rare that is in Pattaya, not another fish and chips joint. I also disagree with you about non-gays, always saw many non-gays at Amor, it's not an issue, and that place was even more of a caching-er than the prices for the new place indicate. Boyztown is a tourist trap and attracts many non-gays just to gawk, gay expats generally avoid the area, but I think many will try out this new place, and if the food is good, like I said, I predict a winner.

yes, it is something different and sounds good. The problem is the location mate. Sorry to say that but it is the reality. Probably one of the reasons the first place failed.

yes, it is something different and sounds good. The problem is the location mate. Sorry to say that but it is the reality. Probably one of the reasons the first place failed.

It didn't fail!!!!! It's been there since at least 1998, not sure of the exact founding date, before that I think. Do you know what percentage of restaurants last that long? A TINY percentage. You don't know what you are talking about. The owner is a smart cookie and like many successful restauranteurs he has made fresh changes for new times. Sounds like the location is a problem for YOU. Who cares? Edited by Jingthing

It didn't fail!!!!! It's been there for at least 1998, not sure of the exact founding date, before that I think. You don't know what you are talking about. The owner is a smart cookie and like many successful restauranteurs he has made fresh changes for new times. Sounds like the location is a problem for YOU. Who cares?

you are 100% correct. i don't know what i am talking about because i don't visit boyztown and 99% of the expats and tourists don't either.

you are 100% correct. i don't know what i am talking about because i don't visit boyztown and 99% of the expats and tourists don't either.

Like you said, you don't know what you are talking about. My impression is that many many casual tourists of all kinds walk in the area to see the bright lights and "wild" exotic nightlife, and some of them are hungry and will be tempted by what is the only New York style deli in town, one of the few in Asia at this point.

I'll give more than a tentative prediction after I taste the food. It actually doesn't have to be that good to attract a lot of one off tourists though, so they may even make it if the food is just OK, but hoping for more.

Edited by Jingthing

i find it hard to believe that a successful restaurant will just change into something totally different.

Go and ask Richard why. There could have been many reasons. There probably was a decline in business with a TIRED OLD MENU, that happens to older restaurants everywhere. This new menu is much easier than the old full service restaurant. He is getting on in years, it makes sense to me to refresh with a new, easier, possibly hit concept. There is already a buzz about the place in town, if it's decent, he has another winner.

BTW, why would people be averse to eating a restaurant in a gay area? Afraid people will think they are gay or something?

Edited by Jingthing

i find it hard to believe that a successful restaurant will just change into something totally different.

Go and ask Richard why. There could have been many reasons. This new menu is much easier than the old full service restaurant. He is getting on in years, it makes sense to me to refresh with a new, easier, possibly hit concept. There is already a buzz about the place in town, if it's decent, he has another winner.

BTW, why would people be averse to eating a restaurant in a gay area? Afraid people will think they are gay or something?

Probably the main reason. Not saying it is right but it is reality. Even the Blue Parrot Mexican is losing trade because of the changing demographics of the area. Lot's of people in Pattaya concerned about their masculinity.

Pesonally I don't want to eat surrounded by go go boy bars in the same way i don't eat on Soi 6.

Really only 4 items you would find at a NY Jewish deli:

pastrami, corned beef, bagels and chopped liver.

However, I would go there just for the Jewish rye bread, if it's any good. I can tolerate the location during the daytime.

Also lox and bagels.

I agree the menu is limited but if you go to Katz's NYC most people are eating corned beef or pastrami, so, so what?

post-37101-049549300 1286884054_thumb.jp

Edited by Jingthing

The place is right behind Cafe New Orleans. Not in the middle of Boyztown. From what I understood the owner of Cafe New Orleans (American) has something to do with this new place.

I heard something like that too, but I also heard Richard is still involved, so now I'm not so sure. You're right it is on the New Orleans soi but I still think most people still consider it part of B-town, and the old location did attract some custom just based on the people watching aspect. If New Orleans is involved with the food, that might be good news, I think overall they are a better restaurant than Amor was.

If I've got anything wrong about who is involved now, my apologies, I guess bottom line I don't really know. Now this from the homepage!

Wander out to the terrace for a breath of fresh air and take in the Street Life as you sit comfortably and order a delightful meal from the “Richard’s Amor Dishes Menu” or the “Street Life Delicatessen Menu”, or if you prefer, sit in air conditioned comfort for your meal.

So the old tired menu is still there, guess it was still selling OK, eh?

Edited by Jingthing

The place is right behind Cafe New Orleans. Not in the middle of Boyztown. From what I understood the owner of Cafe New Orleans (American) has something to do with this new place.

I heard something like that too, but I also heard Richard is still involved, so now I'm not so sure. You're right it is on the New Orleans soi but I still think most people still consider it part of B-town, and the old location did attract some custom just based on the people watching aspect. If New Orleans is involved with the food, that might be good news, I think overall they are a better restaurant than Amor was.

JT - I have taken "tour groups" to Boyztown - couples, singles, all age groups and have never had a complaint. I am looking forward to going there soon. I liked Amor as well and I think you are right in your suggestion that Richard is getting on and a change was needed.