New Nyc Style Jewish Deli Menu Plus Wine Bar/Gallery Opens

Jingthing

The menu link in the OP clearly states that:

-----------------------------------------------------

Government tax is included

No service charge, tips at your discretion

--------------------------------------------------------

So what's with this talk about a 10% service charge?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The menu link in the OP clearly states that:

-----------------------------------------------------

Government tax is included

No service charge, tips at your discretion

--------------------------------------------------------

So what's with this talk about a 10% service charge?

What the means, sir, is that the owner CHANGED THE WEBSITE due to this discussion right here. Because it said 10 percent service when I and others read it BEFORE. It's academic now.

Next ...

post-37101-049549300 1286884054_thumb.jp

Love that street-post with all the parking rules signs on in...one on top of the other! I remember my first trip to NYC and seeing these kinds of signs was a real crack-up. [And the first time I saw the "No Standing" signs, I thought it was referring to people, which I thought was really wierd. It took me awhile to figure out they were for cars as I had never heard "standing" to refer to inanimate objects like cars before (being from the West Coast). It's rules and regs like this (can anyone figure out when one could actually park on that street) that I don't miss in Thailand :bah:

Now, back to the op, having had time to look at the menu attachment, it looks promising. Lots of interesting sandwiches on offer...some a little pricey but others in the ballpark (if good). This thread has been up for like 3 days already, has anyone actually tried the place yet and can give us a report? Usually gays and food, like interior decorating or fashion design, are a good combination :)

Edited by FarangBuddha

Love that street-post with all the parking rules signs on in...one on top of the other! I remember my first trip to NYC and seeing these kinds of signs was a real crack-up. [And the first time I saw the "No Standing" signs, I thought it was referring to people, which I thought was really wierd. It took me awhile to figure out they were for cars as I had never heard "standing" to refer to inanimate objects like cars before (being from the West Coast). It's rules and regs like this (can anyone figure out when one could actually park on that street) that I don't miss in Thailand :bah:

Now, back to the op, having had time to look at the menu attachment, it looks promising. Lots of interesting sandwiches on offer...some a little pricey but others in the ballpark (if good). This thread has been up for like 3 days already, has anyone actually tried the place yet and can give us a report? Usually gays and food, like interior decorating or fashion design, are a good combination :)

Usually gays and food, like interior decorating or fashion design, are a good combination :redcard2:(PENALTY: INSENSITIVITY)

An interesting topic, gays and food. Personally, I have found so called "gay restaurants" to be fairly universally not great. They are marketing a scene rather than the food. I have always avoided them and I did consider Amor in that class of place in some ways. Not as much as say that Royale place or the Ambiance hotel restaurant, of course. However, this new not a deli/is a deli does sound like they may have great food, so no point in being dogmatic, at least before the word is out on the quality.

Edited by Jingthing

Usually gays and food, like interior decorating or fashion design, are a good combination :redcard2:(PENALTY: INSENSITIVITY)

For heaven's sake...lighten up dude. Sure it's a stereotype but a positive one. Okay, if you want me to say there are also plenty of gays who can't cook and have no sense of design then there, I said it. Happy now :rolleyes:

An interesting topic, gays and food. Personally, I have found so called "gay restaurants" to be fairly universally not great. They are marketing a scene rather than the food. I have always avoided them and I did consider Amor in that class of place in some ways. Not as much as say that Royale place or the Ambiance hotel restaurant, of course. However, this new not a deli/is a deli does sound like they may have great food, so no point in being dogmatic, at least before the word is out on the quality.

B) Why has no one tried the food? It would be interesting to have a report on the food.:ermm:

no point defending yourself as they will rip you apart on here regardless, even if you do great food and great prices

thanks Kopite, but my intention is not to defend but just to give correct information as some posters did not seem to know what we were all about .

BTW, I just reread Richard's post and what great news that a little old thread on thaivisa could influence the policy of a new restaurant. He is dropping the service charge on sandwiches and drinks, yippee! And it was never on takeout. Cleared up! Fantabulous.

NO EXCUSES NOW!

Now, you simply must try Richard's not a deli but has deli food (confusing but fun!). And do not forget to report back to us with your impressions.

I have one bone to pick though. Even though I have been honest that I haven't been a fan of Amor, I was fair minded about it realizing many did like it, and here on this thread I think I have helped you get A LOT of FREE PUBLICITY. Now I am certainly not asking for even a free pickle, perish the thought, not even to mention some free fresh meat from the street, but I ask you, really, would a THANK YOU kill you? Oy!

Jingthing, not only do I thank you, but if you come by and introduce yourself I'll give you a free bagel to try and tell me how close we were able to come the the real thing.

We're open from 3 to midnight every day. I don't know if I'm allowed to say this in a post but we sell the bagels at 25 baht each,if in stock or with 24 hours advance order if not.

You're welcome. I'm not looking for free bagels, but if you put matzoh ball soup on the menu that would be enough thanks for 100 lifetimes ...

More seriously, matzoh ball soup may be too hard to do, too much work, hard to source matzhoh meal here, but I really think you need some soup choices on the menu to go with sandwiches or 1/2 sandwiches. Maybe beef barley, turkey vegetable (you've got the turkey), even borscht, ask a passing Russian how to cook it ... cold borscht would be different, and this being the tropics how about cold gazpacho/cold vichyssoise ?

Edited by Jingthing

You're welcome. I'm not looking for free bagels, but if you put matzoh ball soup on the menu that would be enough thanks for 100 lifetimes ...

More seriously, matzoh ball soup may be too hard to do, too much work, hard to source matzhoh meal here, but I really think you need some soup choices on the menu to go with sandwiches or 1/2 sandwiches. Maybe beef barley, turkey vegetable (you've got the turkey), even borscht, ask a passing Russian how to cook it ...

You're right about sourcing matzo meal, I did try!!! As to soups, when our hot kitchen is ready sometime next week we will start the hot menu ith the following soups: Cream of Tomato, Hot Tomato and Orange,Chilled Tomato and Orange, Iced Cucumber, Split Pea and Mulligatawny.

Yesterday, a friend and I I had the pleasure of giving Street Life a try. [After almost a week, you would think someone else would have tried it by now and reported back...someone like oh, maybe the op;...what's up with that JT ;)] Like most long-term residents, I am somewhat skeptical of reports of great new eateries as many fail to live up to my expectations and of course, people's tastes when it comes to good/bad food is highly personal. Having a real good American-style sandwich deli would be a real treat in Pattaya, and given Street Lifes' owner's long experience in feeding Pattayans, I was hoping for the best but wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhat of a letdown. Well, I can report that I was very happily satisfied indeed.

As everyone knows, finding a really good sandwich in Pattaya is often difficult. Many places don't really have quality breads or don't use real deli-style meats and fillings; and what meat they do use, there is often little of it. There is Subs and Suds and of course Subway and everyone can have their own opinions regarding their offerings. But in any case, none of the currently available options to my knowledge would be American style delis (whether Jewish or Italian...being from the Bay Area, I'm more familiar with Italian delis as they seem to have the market sewn-up there, with the Jews predominating in NYC). From what I sampled at Street Life, it is just as good and authentic as what one will find at your local deli "back home."

Between the 3 of us, we had the pastrami on rye, the honey-ham and cheese on country, and the tuna salad on country. My friend pronounced himself very satisfied with his pastrami and I was well sated with my moo-cheese. My companion enjoyed her tuna as well (but for me, there was a little too much dill seasoning but that is my personal taste; others may prefer it this way). I was also able to sample the egg-salad, as you can substitute this for the pickle and cole-slaw if one wishes. I presume this same egg-salad is used in the sandwiches and if so, this would be a most delice sandwich as well.

The bread was fresh and the meat and chees portions very generous - 3/4" for the meat...nothing like the single-layer on offer at other chains in town :whistling: Most of the meats are prepared especially for Street Life, with the remainder mostly imported Italian cold-cuts. Richard is a most congenial host, with a wicked sense of humour as well :D Currently, only the sandwich menu is featured, but this coming week, the hot-kitchen should be fitted-out and Richard will have about 40 hot entres available. Some old favorites from the Amor menu and some new dishes as well. There will also be a selection of cakes and other desserts at that time. Street Life is open from 3 pm to midnight. I will definitely be back whenever I had a hunkering for a good sandwich and highly recommend others give Street Life a try.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Thanks for the very informative review, FB! To be clear, my postings about this place are pure speculation, as I haven't visited as yet.

To the owner and the soups to come.

Cream of Tomato, Hot Tomato and Orange,Chilled Tomato and Orange, Iced Cucumber, Split Pea and Mulligatawny.

Well, you're the boss so you design the menu, but frankly those aren't the soup choices I would have thought would be best for a deli menu. A few sound interesting. Of course that's all subjective.

Have you considered offering a SET MENU DEAL for soup and a sandwich? Perhaps offer a discount if you order soup with a sandwich or soup with 1/2 pastrami, 1/2 corned beef? Remember many expats are stretched from the strong baht, people do respond to deals.

Happy to hear you at least tried to source matzoh meal. The Jews in Thailand people in Bangkok do sell matzoh products at Passover, perhaps you can ask them for a way to source matzoh meal year round or even place a large order with them next Passover?

Thanks for the very informative review, FB! To be clear, my postings about this place are pure speculation, as I haven't visited as yet.

To the owner and the soups to come.

Cream of Tomato, Hot Tomato and Orange,Chilled Tomato and Orange, Iced Cucumber, Split Pea and Mulligatawny.

Well, you're the boss so you design the menu, but frankly those aren't the soup choices I would have thought would be best for a deli menu. A few sound interesting. Of course that's all subjective.

Have you considered offering a SET MENU DEAL for soup and a sandwich? Perhaps offer a discount if you order soup with a sandwich or soup with 1/2 pastrami, 1/2 corned beef? Remember many expats are stretched from the strong baht, people do respond to deals.

Happy to hear you at least tried to source matzoh meal. The Jews in Thailand people in Bangkok do sell matzoh products at Passover, perhaps you can ask them for a way to source matzoh meal year round or even place a large order with them next Passover?

The soups are from our hot menu due to start next and aren't deli soups. At a later stage if there is enough demand we may add a deli type soup or two, (how's mothers chicken soup sound?) But for now we just want o go one step at a time so we can get things running smoothly.

The soups are from our hot menu due to start next and aren't deli soups. At a later stage if there is enough demand we may add a deli type soup or two, (how's mothers chicken soup sound?) But for now we just want o go one step at a time so we can get things running smoothly.

Understood.

I completely respect the amount of work involved in starting a new restaurant and menu or for that matter running an existing restaurant or menu. I also respect your business acumen, you have survived in this competitive market much longer than most.

That said, I am also never shy about sharing my personal opinions, which you can take or leave, I am guessing you will leave, but here goes anyway.

From an outsider looking in, my strong feeling is that there is no great reason to keep your old menu alive at all. I am guessing you are doing so to retain the old customer base which is understandable, but to me it gives an indication that this really isn't a new restaurant, rather an odd hodge podge.

If it was me, I would drop all the old menu. Forget Amor, call it history. Now I am guessing you would be thinking what about those who want hot food for dinner, not a sandwich?

Yes, good question. Why not develop a very short menu of inspired deli type main courses --

For examples --

Hot American turkey platter with side dishes

Beef brisket platter with boiled potatoes

Poached salmon platter

and others. Keeping it short. My personal opinion was that your old menu was TOO LONG and too frou frou. Wouldn't it be easier and perhaps even more successful to focus on a short menu that defines the new place better and do those really well and freshly?

Of course I would still suggest a deli soup menu. Beef barley, turkey vegetable, chicken noodle IF the noodles are really good could be a winner, etc. You don't need borscht, it's already everywhere in town. Another out of the box soup idea, Portuguese stale crusty bread, egg, and garlic soup, simple and delicious.

And of course desserts. Probably some overlap from the Amor dessert menu would be fine, haven't seen it lately.

Bottom line, I think you should drop Amor and do define more as deli including hot platter deli, not only Jewish deli of course, but deli nonetheless.

Edited by Jingthing

Understood.

I completely respect the amount of work involved in starting a new restaurant and menu or for that matter running an existing restaurant or menu. I also respect your business acumen, you have survived in this competitive market much longer than most.

That said, I am also never shy about sharing my personal opinions, which you can take or leave, I am guessing you will leave, but here goes anyway.

From an outsider looking in, my strong feeling is that there is no great reason to keep your old menu alive at all. I am guessing you are doing so to retain the old customer base which is understandable, but to me it gives an indication that this really isn't a new restaurant, rather an odd hodge podge.

If it was me, I would drop all the old menu. Forget Amor, call it history. Now I am guessing you would be thinking what about those who want hot food for dinner, not a sandwich?

Yes, good question. Why not develop a very short menu of inspired deli type main courses --

For examples --

Poached salmon platter

and others. Keeping it short. My personal opinion was that your old menu was TOO LONG and too frou frou. Wouldn't it be easier and perhaps even more successful to focus on a short menu that defines the new place better and do those really well and freshly?

Of course I would still suggest a deli soup menu. Beef barley, turkey vegetable, chicken noodle IF the noodles are really good could be a winner, etc. You don't need borscht, it's already everywhere in town. Another out of the box soup idea, Portuguese stale crusty bread, egg, and garlic soup, simple and delicious.

And of course desserts. Probably some overlap from the Amor dessert menu would be fine, haven't seen it lately.

Bottom line, I think you should drop Amor and do define more as deli including hot platter deli, not only Jewish deli of course, but deli nonetheless.

Jing you have already stated that you didnt go to Amor very often so keep your nose out. There are quite a few of us who liked the Amor menu and would welcome some of those items remaining. Richard has already stated he is runnig a Deli not New York Deli so why all the american stuff? You (Americans) are actually a minority amongst the expats in Pattaya.

Richard

I look forward to visiting when I get home again and wish you all the best with the new look.

Edited by RabC

Understood.

For examples --

Poached salmon platter

B) How about french-onion soup.B)

I am simply stating my opinion, take it or leave it. One restaurant cannot do everything! Restaurants that try to do too much invariably suffer from spotty quality and/or lots of FROZEN microwaved food. Keeping the old stuff may indeed keep loyalists, but doing something entirely fresh may potentially attract many more NEW customers.

Poached salmon can be French, I suggested a Portuguese soup, and certainly Jewish deli food is by origin more eastern European than American, so can it with the American chauvinism crapola. There is more to American food than McD's, dude, anyway. Also, it is true Americans are a smaller expat population than Euros but on the other hand good American style food is much harder to find in Pattaya than good Euro style food. The core deli menu he has already is not only American, it is mixed up, which is fine.

P.S. -- I reckon there would still need to be a Thai food menu for all the obvious reasons.

P.P.S. -- do just one super authentic spicy Mexican platter really well such as chicken enchiladas and that one dish could make any place the best Mexican restaurant in town. Doesn't take much here. Think Mexi-deli. I know, I just went too far, I'll shut up now.

Just kidding. Here's more. For people who have known Amor for years and stopped going, when they hear the old Amor has a new name, new decor, new format, and a new deli menu, they are likely to feel, Cool, that sounds interesting. Then they are told, yeah but they still also have the same old (and I DO mean OLD) Amor menu. HUH! To an outsider, it sounds like the owner is AFRAID of letting go of the past, like he doesn't entirely BELIEVE in his new concept, playing it "safe". To my view, that's a shame, because the core of the new concept is potentially very exciting for Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

I am simply stating my opinion, take it or leave it. One restaurant cannot do everything! Restaurants that try to do too much invariably suffer from spotty quality and/or lots of FROZEN microwaved food. Keeping the old stuff may indeed keep loyalists, but doing something entirely fresh may potentially attract many more NEW customers.

Poached salmon can be French, I suggested a Portuguese soup, and certainly Jewish deli food is by origin more eastern European than American, so can it with the American chauvinism crapola. There is more to American food than McD's, dude, anyway. Also, it is true Americans are a smaller expat population than Euros but on the other hand good American style food is much harder to find in Pattaya than good Euro style food. The core deli menu he has already is not only American, it is mixed up, which is fine.

P.S. -- I reckon there would still need to be a Thai food menu for all the obvious reasons.

P.P.S. -- do just one super authentic spicy Mexican platter really well such as chicken enchiladas and that one dish could make any place the best Mexican restaurant in town. Doesn't take much here. Think Mexi-deli. I know, I just went too far, I'll shut up now.

Just kidding. Here's more. For people who have known Amor for years and stopped going, when they hear the old Amor has a new name, new decor, new format, and a new deli menu, they are likely to feel, Cool, that sounds interesting. Then they are told, yeah but they still also have the same old (and I DO mean OLD) Amor menu. HUH! To an outsider, it sounds like the owner is AFRAID of letting go of the past, like he doesn't entirely BELIEVE in his new concept, playing it "safe". To my view, that's a shame, because the core of the new concept is potentially very exciting for Pattaya.

Jingthing. I appreciate your comments but maybe it would be better if you waited to see the new hot menu first. It is not the old Amor menualthough to please some customers who have asked for some of the old dishes there are some on it. My old menu had 248 dishes on it the new hot menu has only 32 including starters, soups and main courses. There will alo be a small Thai menu with about a dozen Thai dishes. The old favorite Amor deserts will be reappearing, to tart we will have our Lime and Cream Cheese Pie, the Carrot Cake and the Chocolate Fudge Cake. We may add more laterwhen it is busier and if there is demand.

I would reiterate, we are NOT a Deli, the Deli is only one aspect of what we are doing, "man cannot live by sandwich alone" :D

RabC: Thanks for your comments too. Over the last few months I've had any of our old customers come to me and ask when we are reopening and that they miss the old Amor, so I hope with our new format we will be able to satisfy our old customers and get a whole new clientele as well.:welcomeani:

You're the boss, you're the owner, but I think you are making a mistake, possibly a big mistake.

You say we are not a deli?

WHY NOT!?!

The deli part of your new concept is indeed the part of it that is getting buzz in town. Yet you run away and obfuscate that part of it. I find it really bizarre.

The public wants a clear message about what you are, and especially when part of what you are doing is potentially new, exciting, and unique, indeed the small part you seem to running from identifying with, the NEW YORK CITY DELI STYLE PART, you are covering it up, and possibly keeping it too limited compared to your other elements.

In your business name as well, it's weird, it sounds like a gay cruising zone, why not just call it a DELI restaurant?!?

Of course I wish you success, and you may indeed find it, IN SPITE of what to me are obvious big mistakes. But consider the greater success you might have had if you just owned the exciting part of your new concept and openly and boldly IDENTIFIED with it?

Up to you, I imagine you despise me now for being so critical, but remember, also all free publicity is good publicity.

Up to you, I imagine you despise me now for being so critical, but remember, also all free publicity is good publicity.

So does that mean I now get the free bagel...maybe a lifetime supply :lol:

I do see the point Jing is making, however. Maybe just be sure to include the tag-line "deli and restaurant" with the name on signs, menus, and other promotional material. Remember, however, that SL is only open from 3 pm onwards so emphasizing the "deli" aspect too much would tend to suggest an earlier lunch-time opening and people might show up at that time; and then leave disappointed and angry...never to return.

Edited by FarangBuddha

That fish and chips place that threw Jingthing out - Simon's? - got LOTS of free publicity. :D

And lost a lot of customers. Pattaya needs a real New York deli!!