Thailand-Australia Agree To Cooperate In All Areas

george

Thailand-Australia agree to cooperate in all areas

VIENTIANE: -- Thailand and Australia have agreed to join hands in all areas.

The agreement was reached today at bilateral talks between Thai Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon and his Australian counterpart Alexandar Downer in the Lao capital of Vientiane, where the two ministers are attending the ASEAN annual meetings.

The two ministers exchanged the written agreement, which will become the framework of the agreed cooperation and lead to the establishment of a joint ministerial commission to take care of the bilateral cooperation--to be soon expanded to joint anti-terrorism efforts.

The agreement, however, excludes the bilateral cooperation in trade, which is stated in the Thai-Australian Free Trade Area (FTA) Agreement.

The Thai and Australian foreign ministers also signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on visa for work and tourism, which allows Thai nationals to work when travelling in Australia and vice versa.

Australia will also welcome Muslim Thais to study Islamic courses in its universities, according to the Australian foreign minister.

--TNA 2005-07-27

Sorry, I think I am out of the loop, but, what are they agreeing on?

It's all a bit vague at the moment. Australia will allow Thai students in Australia to work in tourism/ hospitality sectors without a work permit.

Thailand will offer a similar deal for Australians but no details on the Thai side yet.

Am holding my breath.... :o

Sorry, I think I am out of the loop, but, what are they agreeing on?

It's all a bit vague at the moment. Australia will allow Thai students in Australia to work in tourism/ hospitality sectors without a work permit.

Thailand will offer a similar deal for Australians but no details on the Thai side yet.

Am holding my breath.... :o

Got ya. Sounds like the Thai will come on top in this.