Thai Marriage Legal In Uk

Hi everyone, my partner married a thai national in 2002, he says it was all registered at the relevant uk embassy etc to be recognised in the uk, they both came back to the uk to settle but seperated after two years. fast forward five years and he met me and is now desperate to marry me, he has contacted the GRO, thai embassy, and everyone else he can think of but they all come back saying there is no trace of the marriage, hes ex wont give up any certificates so he can get divorced here in the uk, his only option is to return to Thailand and try and find the registry office that he was married in but he cannot remember where it is. What im asking really is, if there is no UK government agency that can find a record of this marriage, is it legal.

Hold on. If it was registered at the Embassy, there must be a record. If they don't have one, I guess he wasn't married and that's that. Mind you, no disrespect, but I am always puzzled/skeptical by stories like this. What, was he p*ssed silly all the time, so much so he doesn't know which amphur he was married at? I dunno, it just doesn't ring true for me.

Was he married at the Thai equivalent of a registry office a amphur, did he obtain from his embassy an affirmation of freedom to marry, or did he only have a religious wedding? An amphur would be a legal marriage, and a religious ceremony not legal.

Am sure that he has to get divorced in Thailand, at the same Amphur as he used to get married. Maybe because of the Privacy Act he cannot get the information, I suggest if he really wants the divorce to come here, go to the Embassy, get his file looked at (held by the Embassy), and start getting the ball rolling.

You dont need to register anything with the Uk Embassy, if the marriage took place in an Amphur (District office) and an affirmation to marry was obtained from the Embassy, marriage certificates issued then it is a legal marriage and recognised in the UK. If it was just a local village wedding then it has no legal standing.

You say "wind forward" 5 years, surely he can go to a solicitor in the UK and obtain a divorce on the grounds of separation (of atleast two years) ? especially as the lady is a foreign national. I suggest you talk this through with a solictor in the UK or Citizens advice bureau who will help you to talk with a solicitor for FREE.

Hold on. If it was registered at the Embassy, there must be a record. If they don't have one, I guess he wasn't married and that's that. Mind you, no disrespect, but I am always puzzled/skeptical by stories like this. What, was he p*ssed silly all the time, so much so he doesn't know which amphur he was married at? I dunno, it just doesn't ring true for me.

I can understand why the location of the amphur would be hard to remember, I was married at an amphur in Bangkok, my wife drove us there, through a maze of streets, which at the time all looked the same, I do not know where the amphur was located, but I do have a marriage certificate, 2 are issued.

Looking at the 1st post if they settled in the UK, then UK immigration must of been happy they were married. I thought the idea of recording the marriage at the embassy was to make it possible to get a copy of the marriage certificate at the UK local registry office.

Copies of Thai marriage certificates khor ror 2 and khor ror 3, can be obtained at any local amphur, not sure what details are required.

When you get married in Thailand,

The foreign national has to get an 'affirmation of freedon to marry' from his embassy

That has to be translated into Thai and stamped by the 'ministry of foreign affairs' in Bangkok

At the Amphut office, each of you gets a marriage certificate.

His story sounds suspect

He wouldn't be making excuses not to marry you, would he?

Edited by sarahsbloke

It seems that you guy is a little confused, sit him down and get the facts.

Facts are that for a village wedding nothing is required no paper work from an Embassy or anything, this is not a legal marriage.

If he did the affirmation to marry then he is legally married, as this is required for a marriage at an Amphur. If she came to England then there must be a copy of the wedding certificate at the authorities with some other documentation, try and get this. Start as suggested getting a lawyer, speak to the UKBA.