'Kind'

ChAoS87

Hey guys, can anyone briefly explain the differences in use for 'Cha Nit', 'Bpra Phaeht' and 'Baaep'. I understand the following normally do explain the meaning of 'Baaep'. Ex. Koon chaawp phuu chaai baaep nai? which translates to you like what kind of guys? I am not quite sure what are the uses for 'Cha Nit' and 'Bpra Phaeht'. Thanks alot!

This is what I gleaned from a new program (which coincidentally I won by submitting a comment about it on the poster known as desi's website "Woman Learning Thai & some men too!). It's a program put out by Benjawan Becker called English-Thai Thai English Dictionary and actually is pretty darned good, although the definitions are less informative than say either the thai-language or thai-2-english websites.

(Shameless commercial plug for desi's site is finished.. .. Please continue reading for your answer..)

It would seem these words are all used for different things. It would appear they are in the most general sense classifiers which denote a style, specification, model, or a sense of commonality in the group being discussed.

อย่าง - kind (sort, type, category)

ชนิด - kind (sort, type, category); sort (kind); species (type, kind); type (kind)

ประเพด - for kind, type sort, category

แบบ - form (structure); pattern (model); type (pattern style form)

Plugging the words into thai-language-dot-com under their bulk look up feature yielded these results;

http://www.thai-language.com/?blu=zcLo0qcgqrnUtCC7w9DgwLcg4bq6KA!!

You can click on any of the words to get more in depth meanings and example sentences of how they're each used.

Unless I'm mistaken, the current colloquial way to ask what kind of 'style' of a man or woman you like is to use a short bastardized version of the english word "specification", as in the word "spec" (สเป็ค). It is all too common in everyday thai. Please note that due to the thai penchant in using their pronunciation rules when pronouncing engrish words, it is not just a single syllable word like in engrish but more like 'sa-bpec' because the character carries an inherent short 'a' sound making it pronounced more like this; สะ-เป็ค

You sentence would be something like this; คุณ ชอบ ผู้ขาย สเป็ค ไหน

It's also used to talk about specifications of a wide variety of things especially in moto-cys, cars, in regards to engine, tires, tricked out stuff, etc.

Hope it helps. .. Sorry its long. ..

Edited by tod-daniels

ชนิด is never used with people, in my experience. (Anyone feel free to correct me on that.) In science, ชนิด is equivalent to 'species', though for greater specificity สปีชีส์ or สปีซีส์ are also used. Similarly, ชนิดย่อย = subspecies.

In more general terms, though, I think of ชนิด as 'variety' -- มีเนยแข็งหลายชนิด "there are many varieties of cheese." Each ชนิด is a specific type.

I think of ประเภท as more like category or class. ผู้หญิงสองประเภท = "two categories of women" (i.e. naturally born women and surgically made women). So ประเภท is a more broad classification, no pun intended. Similarly, แยกประเภท = categorize or classify.

Here's a comparison:

ประเภทของยาเสพติด = "classes of drugs" would tend to be broader, like natural drugs vs. synthetic drugs, injected drugs vs. pills.

ชนิดของยาเสพติด = "kinds of drugs" would tend to be more specific, like marijuana, heroin, meth, etc.

This is what I gleaned from a new program (which coincidentally I won by submitting a comment about it on the poster known as desi's website "Woman Learning Thai & some men too!). It's a program put out by Benjawan Becker called English-Thai Thai English Dictionary and actually is pretty darned good, although the definitions are less informative than say either the thai-language or thai-2-english websites.

(Shameless commercial plug for desi's site is finished.. .. Please continue reading for your answer..)

It would seem these words are all used for different things. It would appear they are in the most general sense classifiers which denote a style, specification, model, or a sense of commonality in the group being discussed.

อย่าง - kind (sort, type, category)

ชนิด - kind (sort, type, category); sort (kind); species (type, kind); type (kind)

ประเพด - for kind, type sort, category

แบบ - form (structure); pattern (model); type (pattern style form)

Plugging the words into thai-language-dot-com under their bulk look up feature yielded these results;

http://www.thai-lang...7w9DgwLcg4bq6KA!

You can click on any of the words to get more in depth meanings and example sentences of how they're each used.

Unless I'm mistaken, the current colloquial way to ask what kind of 'style' of a man or woman you like is to use a short bastardized version of the english word "specification", as in the word "spec" (สเป็ค). It is all too common in everyday thai. Please note that due to the thai penchant in using their pronunciation rules when pronouncing engrish words, it is not just a single syllable word like in engrish but more like 'sa-bpec' because the character “” carries an inherent short 'a' sound making it pronounced more like this; สะ-เป็ค

You sentence would be something like this; คุณ ชอบ ผู้ขาย สเป็ค ไหน

It's also used to talk about specifications of a wide variety of things especially in moto-cys, cars, in regards to engine, tires, tricked out stuff, etc.

Hope it helps. .. Sorry it’s long. ..

it certainly helps, very much appreciated all your effort in typing out such a helpful reply.

As was pointed out to me by "DavidHouston", I misspelled the word ประเภท, although I believe the link I provided actually has the correct spelling

it should be

ประเภท - type; sort; category; kind; class; variety

It would also appear that the bulk look up I linked to doesn't work. If you go here:

http://www.thai-language.com/dict scroll down to the bulk look up and type in อย่าง ชนิด ประเภท แบบ it should work

Sorry about that. ..

ชนิด is never used with people, in my experience. (Anyone feel free to correct me on that.)

Rikker, I agree with that.

But using google brought up the following sentence from the nectec dictionary (as an example on the word พักพิง):

ดินแดนที่ร่มเย็นอุดมสมบูรณ์เป็นดินแดนที่ผู้คนหลายชนิดหลายภาษาพากันมาพักพิงโดยที่เจ้าของถิ่นเดิมก็มิได้รังเกียจเดียดฉันท์แต่ประการใด

They are probably talking about species of the human race. Or is it again one of those language mistakes that can be found via google? What's you opinion?

Edited by kriswillems

Quick guide maybe like this: chanit= variety, species, prapet= class(ification),category (both fairly formal). Baep= style, form (informal), yang= kind, type (probably best word for general use). I would avoid words like 'spec'; nothing worse than old slang.

Hmm...I'm not convinced, methinks that any TV thread with you n' Desi both posting in it is still gonna end in fireworks...:D