Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

by the way guys, my mechanic stated to me that the engine have to go down and the valves needs to be changed and some other work inside the engine on 40,000 km. He told me that he knew this from Honda Training program for cbr250.

So, emptybasementbin, there is nothing something like that right?

Sumet Cycle, do you know anything about it?

Regards?

No way would changing the valves be done as scheduled maintainence. Maybe talking about the shims?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by the way guys, my mechanic stated to me that the engine have to go down and the valves needs to be changed and some other work inside the engine on 40,000 km. He told me that he knew this from Honda Training program for cbr250.

So, emptybasementbin, there is nothing something like that right?

Sumet Cycle, do you know anything about it?

Regards?

First I've heard of it. Sounds odd.

of course, i am not super sure which part the guy was mentioning but definitely, he was talking about engine gojng down and some engine work inside call it valves or something else.

what is this? the mechanic just tried to scare me?

I would guess valve adjustment ...lost in translation

of course, i am not super sure which part the guy was mentioning but definitely, he was talking about engine gojng down and some engine work inside call it valves or something else.

what is this? the mechanic just tried to scare me?

I would guess valve adjustment ...lost in translation

no man, he clearly stated that the engine is going down .

i will check it through another Honda service. Sumet Cycle, i am sure you can speak with your mechanic??

A valve adjustment would involve opening the engine, that's all. The higher the kms, the more involved the service is going to be. Your engine is not going to "go down".

thanks for the clarification Sumet. When do you think it is needed to change the valves for cbr 250? like 40.000 km?

It is good that the engine is not going down but definitely they will go inside it.

Is this normal for new generation bike like cbr250?

A valve adjustment would involve opening the engine, that's all. The higher the kms, the more involved the service is going to be. Your engine is not going to "go down".

thanks for the clarification Sumet. When do you think it is needed to change the valves for cbr 250? like 40.000 km?

It is good that the engine is not going down but definitely they will go inside it.

Jeeze. Have a google on how valves work. All they will do is take off the rocker cover and adjust the valves. No replacement parts just valve shims. Its not a big deal but must be done on a cold engine.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Jeeze. Have a google on how valves work. All they will do is take off the rocker cover and adjust the valves. No replacement parts just valve shims. Its not a big deal but must be done on a cold engine.

google what man? i do not even know if it is necessary or when it needs to be done.

If you have goggled it already - maybe i missed something - and found something useful, why do not you share it with us detailed instead of 'jeezing' here?

Besides, there is nothing something stated in the cbr250 manual about changing the shims or whatever inside the engine, no specified kilometers to change those as well.

so, how come?

google what man? i do not even know if it is necessary or when it needs to be done.

If you have goggled it already - maybe i missed something - and found something useful, why do not you share it with us detailed instead of 'jeezing' here?

Besides, there is nothing something stated in the cbr250 manual about changing the shims or whatever inside the engine, no specified kilometers to change those as well.

so, how come?

Actually I do remember it stating something about valve adjustment ( that's all the shims are for) on a certain mileage.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

so, how come?

Why not take your bike to Sumet and let them check your valves clearance and shim if necessary. It's only a single cylinder so it shouldn't be difficult. I shimmed the valves when I had my Yammie EXUP and that was a tough job but it was an inline four.

Thai cbr, i checked the manual - it shows the service intervals up to 36,000 thb and is not stating anything after that.

Besides, there is nothing stated in it about a valve shim change or anything inside the engine.

confusing really.

thanks.

Birds and booze, if it is working, do not touch it. Opening an engine for nothing is a mess and waste of time for me.

Edited by loserlazer

When do you think it is needed to change the valves for cbr 250? like 40.000 km?

Barring something snapping & throwing shrapnel through your engine you will never

need to replace valves.

Adjust? Yes of course but replace? Never under normal circumstances

Unless of course you want a major mod done & increase size of bore & valves etc.

Thai cbr, i checked the manual - it shows the service intervals up to 36,000 thb and is not stating anything after that.

Besides, there is nothing stated in it about a valve shim change or anything inside the engine.

confusing really.

thanks.

You should understand that in the old type technology valves were adjusted by adjusting the rocker arms.

A small screw with lock nut was adjusted in & out to get proper valve clearance adjustment.

Now they no longer have adjustable rockers as they can get loose & change gap etc.

Now the arms are fixed & instead they change the shims which are like thin coins used to get the

desired gap.

Of course it will not be mentioned specifically in your manual. It will just say check/adjust valves.

If needed they will replace your shim with a thicker or thinner shim as needed.

It is not a big deal at all.

Even cars/trucks have the same adjustment done at 40k kilometers

Except they have a lot more digging to do to reach their valves.

On a single cylinder motorcycle engine it is nothing at all

confusing really.

thanks.

You should understand that in the old type technology valves were adjusted by adjusting the rocker arms.

A small screw with lock nut was adjusted in & out to get proper valve clearance adjustment.

Now they no longer have adjustable rockers as they can get loose & change gap etc.

Now the arms are fixed & instead they change the shims which are like thin coins used to get the

desired gap.

Of course it will not be mentioned specifically in your manual. It will just say check/adjust valves.

If needed they will replace your shim with a thicker or thinner shim as needed.

It is not a big deal at all.

Even cars/trucks have the same adjustment done at 40k kilometers

Except they have a lot more digging to do to reach their valves.

On a single cylinder motorcycle engine it is nothing at all

good to know that man.

i appreciate you reply on this.

i think it is not a big deal from what i understand.

anyway, there is a long time to 40,000 km anywaybiggrin.png

good to know that man.

i appreciate you reply on this.

i think it is not a big deal from what i understand.

anyway, there is a long time to 40,000 km anywaybiggrin.png

No prob & yes it is not a big deal.

I did not proof read my post & really should have not said the new arms are fixed....Of course they still move

I should have said solid arms & adjustment is via shims to get correct gap.

Overall you have little to nothing to worry about....Most modern bikes

from the big guys...Honda, Kawasaki,Yamaha,Suzuki are quite bullet proof.

Basic service, oil change, lube chain, adjust valves etc easily done.

Just my opinion, but if you're looking for a good "city bike", go with the new CBR 150. I've had the old model and the new, and the new is much better, believe me! Easy to handle and maneuver in heavy traffic, with more than enough "Uph!" to leave everyone else at the line. But I've also done quite a bit of touring on the new one with trips from CNX to Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Tak, Nakon Sawan, Chiang Rai, and the only problem I've ever had is that it doesn't really have the torque needed for the mountains in some areas. Other than that, it will cruse all day as 125-130 without a problem. The torque problem in the mountains is why I'm considering moving up to a 250. If not for that, I'd keep it.

Even the CBR 250 R lacks of torque and power in the mountain, I've done 5 CNX - Mae Sai visaruns with mine and it's frustrating sometime. I dream of a 500 cc twin, not much heavier than the 250 and able to climb the hills at reasonable speed and much more torque (cannot call this mountains coming from the swiss Alps). wink.png

But I like this bike from my home 30 km out of Chiang Mai on flat roads. :)

Edited by Cornichon88

Just my opinion, but if you're looking for a good "city bike", go with the new CBR 150. I've had the old model and the new, and the new is much better, believe me! Easy to handle and maneuver in heavy traffic, with more than enough "Uph!" to leave everyone else at the line. But I've also done quite a bit of touring on the new one with trips from CNX to Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Tak, Nakon Sawan, Chiang Rai, and the only problem I've ever had is that it doesn't really have the torque needed for the mountains in some areas. Other than that, it will cruse all day as 125-130 without a problem. The torque problem in the mountains is why I'm considering moving up to a 250. If not for that, I'd keep it.

Even the CBR 250 R lacks of torque and power in the mountain, I've done 5 CNX - Mae Sai visaruns with mine and it's frustrating sometime. I dream of a 500 cc twin, not much heavier than the 250 and able to climb the hills at reasonable speed and much more torque (cannot call this mountains coming from the swiss Alps). wink.png

But I like this bike from my home 30 km out of Chiang Mai on flat roads. smile.png

If you come across an SV 650 I think it is what your looking for. I just test drove one today and bought it. Its very nimble, agile and light, with lots more power. It doesn't feel like a 650 at all. I love this bike !

Well right then.. is the CBR 250 worthy.. opinions.. I'm looking into buying this bike.. Any comments suggestion would be welcome.

Yes. No

It really depends on why your buying a bike and what riding you will be doing eg distance. Speed etc.

For me it is a great bike. Cheap to buy. Cheap to run. Carries a pillion really well. Speed ok. I rarely go over 140kmh. At 100kmh its great.

longer distance its comfortable (if I was doing just long distance I would prefer a little more power) but its ok.

I can add my agreement to this with my first post. It is very nice bike. If you can find it at a dealer without the need to wait less than 130 000 just buy it.

I was in Mityon on Theprasit Road yesterday. There were two CBR250s with ABS on the showroom floor. Bt.111,000. They were one of the price-gouging dealerships for quite a while. Guess that's over for them, as supply has met demand.