New Modem? (Tot)

tajartale

So the Billion modem TOT gave me a couple years ago died and I need to replace it. Their latest promotion offers a new modem (they couldn't specify the model, but judging by what the repairman is carrying around with him, I'm guessing another Billion model) for 390 with the 6mb package. I was going to head to the shops this weekend to see how that compares with a new modem retail, but I was wondering if anyone here can help me decide where to spend my money.

I don't know squat about modems except that I want the simplest thing that works reasonably well and I don't want to spend a lot as I'm at this location for only another 9 mos to a year (will work that out with TOT later). I had the current modem wired to a separate wireless modem that drives a voip phone installation from Korea (the wireless works with a phone that looks like a cellphone but only works on wireless connections and the software is hardwired or somehow runs inside...I really don't know how this works but it is the reason why I'm not looking for a new wireless modem).

At any rate, any regular (not-wireless) modem that works ok will do. If the prices aren't too bad, I'll go with TOT...don't know if I can finish their contract, will they chase me down?

Any ideas?

I do not have any of the equipment that you mention, but after working in the IT sector for more than 30 years I have two golden rules.

1 If it worked OK before, why change?

2 NEVER buy the latest brand new version of anything. Let others find the problems and sort out the fixes!.

I would guess that for it to carry on working, 390 is a good investment. Do you need to upgrade, or just replace a broken modem?

At work I have a Billion brand wireless router/modem that TOT gave me. It works wells and has all the features i need (Dyndns/port forwarding etc..) 390THB sounds like a reasonable price.

At home I have a D-Link ADSL modem/router that i bought on my own (and replaced the original TOT modem which had no routing abilities).

This D-Link modem is a real piece of crap, i'd like to throw it out the window i have to restart it a couple of times a day because it just stops working.

AVOID D-LINK!

Personally i would stay with what you know, get the Billion; 390 is a small price to pay you'd probably spend at least 1000 if you went to the mall to buy a router/modem.

Edited by dave111223

• 2 weeks later...

You probably havew a lifetime guarantee on the one they suppplied. If you are happy with it just contact them if not buy a new one to suit you.

i dont know if this is answering my post

DOES TOT output adsl2 ?

I was not replying to the person who hijacted this thread (YOU) but to the OP

I would just get the Billion that TOT is offering. Heck you might even want to play the game that you thought TOT is suppose to replace the modem when it dies. ISP's give out free modems during promotions and to get/keep you as a customer...they just may give you a free one to keep you happy. I'm on TOT and have the Billion 5210 they gave me free and it works fine.

When it comes to basic DSL modems now days they are all basically the same IMHO regardless of the hype that comes with some brands. I think most of the problems that are blamed on modems is just the user setting up the modem incorrectly/changing the settings to something that don't work, or a poor quality DSL/phone line. For those people who swear they got a higher sync speed after swapping out the modem, I expect the new modem made just enough difference on the poor quality line to get a higher sync speed...if the line was in good shape both modem's would have worked equally well.

For the other poster, TOT does use ADSL2+ (Annex M) starting at their 6Mb package; there 4Mb and below packages are plain jane ADSL (Annex A). I say this because when I was on the TOT 2Mb package it was ADSL Annex A, when I was on the TOT 4MB package it was ADSL Annex A, and just last week I got upgraded to their 6Mb package and it's ADSL2+ Annex M.