Google

tombkk

Whenever I go to www.google.com, I am sent to a Thai-language site. This is a new phenomenon; google redirected me to google.co.th in the past but that is a setting which could be overridden. Since yesterday or so, google.com is in Thai.

What is even worse, there is not even a choice to switch to the English interface.

This happnes on two different machines, with two different ISPs. So I'm quote sure that it's not my setup. But I would still like to know whether I am the only vistim of this "user-friendly" localisation.

For now, Yahoo has become my default search engine instead.

They most likely found out that your IP is based in Thailand, so you must be Thai... the /ncr stands for "No Country Redirect" and gives you the real google.com

You also can set your language preferences in the option screen. They will be remembered as long as you don't clean out your cookies.

They most likely found out that your IP is based in Thailand, so you must be Thai... the /ncr stands for "No Country Redirect" and gives you the real google.com

You also can set your language preferences in the option screen. They will be remembered as long as you don't clean out your cookies.

Of course my IP is based in Thailand. Why do they think I want to read Thai when I choose google.com instead of google.co.th?

I cannot find the options screen. If you are willing, kindly direct me.

Otherwise I'll stick wth Yahoo rather than this "user-friendly" and difficult-to-use search engine.

Of course my IP is based in Thailand. Why do they think I want to read Thai when I choose google.com instead of google.co.th?

Otherwise I'll stick wth Yahoo rather than this "user-friendly" and difficult-to-use search engine.

Web Search Help

Set www.google.com/ncr as your default search engine.

Web Search Help

I was just trying to do that and guess what: The problem has disappeared! When I go to www.google.com, I am in the English page as desired. As I did not change anything on my computer, maybe they have switched it back to normal?

Web Search Help

I was just trying to do that and guess what: The problem has disappeared! When I go to www.google.com, I am in the English page as desired. As I did not change anything on my computer, maybe they have switched it back to normal?

Try clearing your cache and cookies -- you'll see that www.google.com redirects you to www.google.co.th.

If I go to google.com, it redirects to .co.th.

Below the search box is:

Google.co.th ที่อยู่ในภาษา: English

You don't see this on the page?

No, it didn't redirect to co.th. And they have fixed the problem, so .com now displays in English.

I guess they got many complaints from all over the world, causing them to fix the problem (which their marketing team may have caused) within a day.

This thread should actually be closed. The problem existed at google for only one day. It's over now. Is any mod reading this?

You can try ThaiVisa Search also.

:blink:

Hehehe .... I could. But the link you are offereing is a tinyurl, and I don't click on those. ;)

If you're using Firefox, install Dr. Web AV link checker. That way you can right click a tinyurl, choose Dr. Web from the context menu which will tell you where you'll be redirected to and whether it's a malware site or not. :)

If you chose /ncr once, Google will create a cookie on your computer so your future searches will be in English. Until you clean something out / cookie expires / ... and it will be in Thai again.

Option screen is here: http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

For Naam there's even Klingon: http://www.google.com/intl/xx-klingon/

Edited by Jdietz

If you chose /ncr once, Google will create a cookie on your computer so your future searches will be in English. Until you clean something out / cookie expires / ... and it will be in Thai again.

Option screen is here: http://www.google.co...age_tools?hl=en

For Naam there's even Klingon: http://www.google.com/intl/xx-klingon/

Interesting, thanks. I had indeed cleaned my cookies before this happened, and the problem disappeared after I had chosing /ncr once. I guess it will reappear again when I clean cookies and now I know what to do. Thank you very big.

Also thanks for the preference settings. May come in handy sometime.

You can try ThaiVisa Search also.

:blink:

Hehehe .... I could. But the link you are offereing is a tinyurl, and I don't click on those. ;)

If you're using Firefox, install Dr. Web AV link checker. That way you can right click a tinyurl, choose Dr. Web from the context menu which will tell you where you'll be redirected to and whether it's a malware site or not. :)

I stopped using Firefox when it hung often some time ago. I guess a new version is out in the meantime, but I have gotten used to IE and have no problems, so I am not switching back at the moment. But thanks anyway, other people are reading this thread as well and might find this plugin usefull.

I get caught on this occasionally in Firefox, I think when I clean out cache...or update is done!

All you need to do is go to Tools, on top of Firefox page then select Options from drop down & then you can change the default page.....

Have the default page copied, then you can paste the page you need.... & save! That should work!

I use Igoogle.ca but you should be able to set to what ever you want.

When you enter some random text in the Firefox address bar and click search what happens ?

If is goes to a search page not chosen by you (e.g. came with installing a program), and you want it go to Google again, do as follows:

go to the search bar and type as followed:

about:config

enter

then doubleclick on 'keyword.url' in the list

then paste the following in

http://www.google.co...avclient&gfns=1 (right-click to copy link location as it's not all visible on this forum)

Now you should have google as the search engine

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

• 1 month later...

OK, so I cleaned my cookies and sure enough Google is so "customer friendly" that the problem re-occurred. Finding this thread again, I would fix www.google.com and it displays in English.

However, translate.google.com still displays in Thai. I added /ncr at the end, but got a 404. Looked around and could not fund any option to change the interface languase. Any ideas?