Thailand's TOT To Have 3G Auction By November

webfact

TOT to have 3G auction by November

BANGKOK (NNT) -- TOT Public Company is expediting the 3G service, hoping to begin the auctioning by November.

The TOT board meeting has approved 17.4 billion baht budget for setting up the third-generation service system. It has also agreed to seek additional loans of 15.8 billion baht from a financial institution.

As for the 3G auction, the board explained that the project was already under the government’s Strong Thailand Scheme. It believed that the bidding process would be given a green light by the Attorney-General by the end of this month. If approved the bidding could begin by November.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-10-16 footer_n.gif

So now companies have to buy their licenses from the state enterprise, its ok to have an auction :)

This 3G business is one of Thailand's longest and worst examples of shady dealings to uphold a monopoly at the expense of the Thai people. It's quite disgusting, the ICT minister should hang his head in shame.

They are still deciding who gets the money. :whistling:

I think they may have decided. The Ministry of Finance gets the money as they own TOT and CAT and were the ones upset by the other auction that would have deprived them of their monopoly.... It is amazing!

Now I know where the money TOT ripped off of me is going. It's amazing...You pay your bill...get a receipt...and when you get a new bill, they say there is no record on the computer. The computer is mightier than a piece of paper stating that the money was paid. I guess if it goes into the pocket before it gets recorded, you never paid. No matter how much proof you have. Switched to CAT. No problems.

It's about TOT buying equipment to expand their 3G network. Nothing to do with frequency licensing.

That's how I understood this. TOT are having an auction of there own to sell their 3G system. Since the auction of 3G to the private sector is conveniently delayed TOT are frothing at the bite to see big dollars rolling in. The only problem are that they are a state enterprise and will manage this no different than every other state enterprise. A few spring to mind: State Railway, Bangkok buses, road construction in general in Thailand, Internet/CAT, or should I just stop here. The private sector should be allowed to run 3G services without these idiots involved.

What we see as 3G mobile phone service is in fact just a number of different standards. Given the right set of technologies on any mobile frequency will allow faster internet and / or more services. It all depends on the phones that are sold and what they can talk to. There is a possibility that some enterprising company could side step the whole frequency issue given enough creativity, it's that very much the Thai way of doing things? Maybe these large Thai corporations have lost their imaginations. Maybe they need T@ksin to come back and teach them just how to get things done ;)

It's about TOT buying equipment to expand their 3G network. Nothing to do with frequency licensing.

That's how I understood this. TOT are having an auction of there own to sell their 3G system. Since the auction of 3G to the private sector is conveniently delayed TOT are frothing at the bite to see big dollars rolling in. The only problem are that they are a state enterprise and will manage this no different than every other state enterprise. A few spring to mind: State Railway, Bangkok buses, road construction in general in Thailand, Internet/CAT, or should I just stop here. The private sector should be allowed to run 3G services without these idiots involved.

The news state they have got budget approval to set up their system (nationwide coverage i believe) and are arranging a bid for the equipment vendors. Probably "internet auction" or bid for the vendors. They are already leasing out their present network for few virtual operators to provide services using their infrastructure.

But you are right, let the private sector to compete. Only the Thai people and the economy in general is losing as long as only corrupt government agencies are allowed to continue their old ways.

It is actually amazing how much the economy benefits, especially low income and small to medium businesses when they have affordable access to information and can communicate.

It seems to be going onto the 1900 Mhz band that is already licensed to TOT. If any local telecom industry people monitor this site, please clarify if possible.

You would be correct as above in this case, as it would simply be TOT putting UMTS 3G onto an existing freq, as both DTAC and AIS have done on trial 3G UMTS systems on their existing 900 and 850 MHz channels.

I just don't get it: Thailand has three private companies that provide GSM services (2.5G) which will already be 3G ready; mobile vendors have not been selling 2G equipment for about 10 years now. So why can't these companies use their existing infrastructure and update their concession/license to operate 3G? How does it make sense for the incumbant (being the word) state phone companies building their own networks to compete with these companies; how can this benefit the consumer and how long is it going to take for them to build comparable networks to the private companies? Is Thailand going to suffer poor 3G coverage for the next 5 years while we wait for the state phone companies to build their networks? Is Thailand going to become the most expensive 3G service in the world because its run by the state monopolies? Totally illogical and madness IMHO. Amazing Thailand; I though SOME Thais were stupid but now I realise it just people manipulating things for their own benefit. Greed and self interest at the highest level.

While I am here, we recently signed up to the Imobile 3GX service which was promised at 599 baht a month. Then comes the bill for 1600 baht and nobody can explain why its not 599 baht as advertised. Again Amazing Thailand. So we cancel this because we were lied to about what would be charged. We did not over use our subscription. Quality service from the government TOT phone company...

Ok, all of you on TOT lines and complaining about TOT's latest 3G strategy please note TOT union technicians could be standing on their bamboo ladders leaning against the telephone/power pole just outside your residence monitoring your ThaiVisa posts on this 3G subject. If your post slams TOT the resulting penalty could be even slower internet speed (if that's possible). ;)

Edited by Pib