Where A Pond Cleaner In Cm?

0zz1

people pay thousand to make their pond look like yours and here you are requesting for help to make it something else .

you got a very nice pond . just need some fish and filter to clear up the water . and eat away the green a little .

Your pond obviously suffers from green algae. We had the same problem for years during rainy season.

In the fish shops at Khamtiang market you can buy chemicals which will kill them but do not harm your fish.

Of course this can only be a short-term solution; for long term Khun Yermanee is right: You need a biological filter. In case you don't want to make it by yourself: You will find qualified advise and help in the same fish shops over there.

Your pond obviously suffers from green algae. We had the same problem for years during rainy season.

In the fish shops at Khamtiang market you can buy chemicals which will kill them but do not harm your fish.

Of course this can only be a short-term solution; for long term Khun Yermanee is right: You need a biological filter. In case you don't want to make it by yourself: You will find qualified advise and help in the same fish shops over there.

Thank you,

I also tried with chemicals years ago but as you said short-term solution.

BTW the 3000 Baht included a 150 watt pump, which has to run 24/7 and NO cleaning the filter.

regards

yermanee

Thank you,

I also tried with chemicals years ago but as you said short-term solution.

BTW the 3000 Baht included a 150 watt pump, which has to run 24/7 and NO cleaning the filter.

regards

yermanee

... sounds good... where i can get company that would do and install this for me.

The problem is that Im not only lazy but im totally incapable to do anything that does not involve computers =)

Had same problem as you and even if you clean it, or, god forbid, us chemicals, it'll be back in couple weeks. Defo employ a filter as this is how nature works, with bacteria eating the crud. Takes a bit of time for them to build up, although you can kick-start the process with a tub of beneficial bacteria (Khamtien).

This is how I did ours:

At the one end, bunged a pot up and out of pond (previously used to house a large tree); segmented three layers, with pumice at bottom, plastic brush balls in the middle and cut up filter material on top (scotch pad type stuff). Made the hose inlet through exit pipe and had the inlet right to the bottom, with gravity dropping it back out the top after passing the filters. Total cost about 500 baht including pump. Did this about a year ago and is still crystal clear.

Having a pump man enough to empty the pond in three hours (ie, through the filter) is essential, as is positioning the pump the opposite end of filter. Keep pump running 24/7... if not, bacteria will die.

The installer should know all these points.

hmm I do have waterpump or two already... i wonder if i even have filter somewhere.... there must be pump somewhere that the fountain uses and perhaps another one hidden for the water wall.... and then there is one that is not currently in use but that i think only blows oxygen in.

If you want to see the fish and have clear (not necessarily clean) water, you must put a good filter system in...

I always do get a chuckle from those who insist chemicals only harm the intended target with no consequences to other living things. Sure makes a good marketing slogan and unfortuantely too many people buy into it b/c it is so easy to believe what you want to hear w/o any understandingof the complexity of how chemicals work...If it sounds too good to be true, it must be ?????

A lot of people though like what this pond looks like in th photo. Others like a algae bottom but clear water (with a filter) and a third groups must have both the water and floor surface clear (tile seems to work best) which will require physical cleaning. Algae-eating fish can complement only...

CB

• 1 month later...

ok I had company here to clean the pond.... and now its worse than ever.... cant see through the water anymore. I where not home but apparently they just changed the water which we found out to be 6 m3 that might come handy when getting the water pump and filter systems.

Now if someone has phone number in hand for company that does these filters please drop me a line... not sure how long the fish will survive there...

ok I had company here to clean the pond.... and now its worse than ever.... cant see through the water anymore. I where not home but apparently they just changed the water which we found out to be 6 m3 that might come handy when getting the water pump and filter systems.

I have a 7m3 pond, tiled, that I have learned to keep clear, so will offer some observations.

You say they changed the water and now you can't see through it at all, same day? That says to me they did not change the water. Algae can not grow that fast. Plus if they filled your 6 m3 with tap water, the chlorine would have most likely killed something.

Your words make it sound as if you did not have the pond built; it was there when you moved in. Two days ago I just took 6 large koi and 6 large suckers from a pond that looked like yours because the renters knew nothing about fish, let the filter plug up until the water bypassed the system (which effectively turned it off).

I would expect whoever built your pond added a filter. Even a poor pond builder would put in something for a fish pond. And you said you have these pumps, some used and some not used. Must be something hidden somewhere. You may be able to do something with what you have.

Have you been changing 25% of the water each week? The fish places in Kam Tiang recommend that. I do it religiously and personally think it helps keep the fish waste down to a manageable amount for my filter. More than that and you may have a chlorine problem.

I would suggest making some water changes every few days for a while to give yourself time to see what you want to do. From the looks and sound of what you have, your existing water will "absorb" any chlorine in the tap water, so every 3 days ought to be OK. I occasionally forgot to turn off the hose and ran who knows how much tap water into the pond and then out through the overflow pipe without killing anything. So 25% is not that critical, just a safe amount.

I also have a fiber filter for larger particles that I clean weekly to bi-weekly, which I think also makes a difference.

Your pond looks like it is open to the elements. If it has a cement bottom, then leaves and other material will rot in the pond and add nutrients for the algae. Having a tiled pond, I try to keep all that stuff out, never let it stay in more than a few days and never very much.

I have not had to use anti-green for almost 2 years now. When I did use it, I used less than the directions said to use for 7 m3 but still noticed the fish acted differently, less energetic for a couple of days, ate less.

useful?