Tuskers Opening Again

rakchaingmai

And there we go again ... :( Why isn't it possible to just wish the new owner(s?)good luck in stead of speculating about what could happen?!

So, I would like to wish good luck the new owner. Definitely will drop in one day. :)

Excellent! Thaivisa wishes the new owners good luck. We are happy to offer you guys one months free advertising on Thaivisa to get you started.

Cheers

This is absolutely none of my business, but it may be appropriate to note that the only thing 'New Bar' has in common with Tuskers is the location.

That, and that they opted to not buy Tuskers including name and inventory, but wait for Chas to move out and then get the premises at a cheaper price. (This is an assumption that may be wrong, but worth checking on before offering free anything.)

Either way I wish the new owners luck, there is no such thing as too many bars.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And there we go again ... :( Why isn't it possible to just wish the new owner(s?)good luck in stead of speculating about what could happen?!

So, I would like to wish good luck the new owner. Definitely will drop in one day. :)

Excellent! Thaivisa wishes the new owners good luck. We are happy to offer you guys one months free advertising on Thaivisa to get you started.

Cheers

This is absolutely none of my business, but it may be appropriate to note that the only thing 'New Bar' has in common with Tuskers is the location.

That, and that they opted to not buy Tuskers including name and inventory, but wait for Chas to move out and then get the premises at a cheaper price. (This is an assumption that may be wrong, but worth checking on before offering free anything.)

Whats the problem with that ?

seems like a prudent business decision that any smart business person would make dont you think ?

DK

Tuskers WAS Chas, Rachel, and their lovely staff. Good luck to the new guy, but who could do better ?!

Parking ?! Get real! Walk 25 - 50M ! Take a tuk tuk! What do you think it is; some kind of drive-in?

Offering valet parking would be possible. More places should do that.

Cheers

seems like a prudent business decision that any smart business person would make dont you think ?

Yes, agreed. I'm not saying that's wrong in any way. It may or may not however merit a freebie in advertising. :)

Tuskers WAS Chas, Rachel, and their lovely staff. Good luck to the new guy, but who could do better ?!

Parking ?! Get real! Walk 25 - 50M ! Take a tuk tuk! What do you think it is; some kind of drive-in?

Valet Parking for Spicy!!!:cheesy:

hel_l yes. :) Also Moon Muang Soi 2, some fine establishments in there that perhaps don't get the clientele they could because there's no place to park and nobody to park the Rangie.

hel_l yes. :) Also Moon Muang Soi 2, some fine establishments in there that perhaps don't get the clientele they could because there's no place to park and nobody to park the Rangie.

Park it in the moat.:lol:

DK

Not necessarily. The goodwill of a business definitely has some value - a loyal and ready trained staff, some kind of customer base, a mailing list, relationships with suppliers and advertising media, reviews in travel guides and word of mouth all come to mind, but not only is it hard to quantify it's fleeting and whoever the new operator of the premises is has decided that he didn't need the name and what Chas and Rachel had built up. You ask anyone with real experience of hiring, training, firing, re-training and replacing staff whilst trying to keep (new) customers happy and build a reputation, what value they'd place on a loyal and popular team ready to hit the ground running and those prepared to be honest will tell you it's a lot.

If the new tenant is after a different market or plans an entirely different style of venue then it's clearly a no brainer and absolutely the right decision, but should it turn out to be more of the same then placing no value on a name we all know and several years of advertising, promotion and reputation is far less clear cut. It costs a lot in both time and money to put the word out and keep it there and all the while you have overheads to maintain - when you look at it like that the decision is a whole lot less clear cut.

DK

Not necessarily. The goodwill of a business definitely has some value - a loyal and ready trained staff, some kind of customer base, a mailing list, relationships with suppliers and advertising media, reviews in travel guides and word of mouth all come to mind, but not only is it hard to quantify it's fleeting and whoever the new operator of the premises is has decided that he didn't need the name and what Chas and Rachel had built up. You ask anyone with real experience of hiring, training, firing, re-training and replacing staff whilst trying to keep (new) customers happy and build a reputation, what value they'd place on a loyal and popular team ready to hit the ground running and those prepared to be honest will tell you it's a lot.

If the new tenant is after a different market or plans an entirely different style of venue then it's clearly a no brainer and absolutely the right decision, but should it turn out to be more of the same then placing no value on a name we all know and several years of advertising, promotion and reputation is far less clear cut. It costs a lot in both time and money to put the word out and keep it there and all the while you have overheads to maintain - when you look at it like that the decision is a whole lot less clear cut.

AGREED

The place --- before Tuskers --- used to be a whore house! Did customers require parking at the door then?

What next ??!! Stay tuned!

Reminded me of an old joke...

A woman went to a pet shop and immediately spotted a large, beautiful parrot.

There was a sign on the cage that said $50.00.

"Why so little?" she asked the pet store owner.

The owner looked at her and said,

"Look, I should tell you first that this bird used to live in a house of prostitution, and sometimes it says some pretty vulgar stuff."

The woman thought about this, but decided she had to have the bird anyway. She took it home and hung the bird's cage up in her living room and waited for it to say something.

The bird looked around the room, then at her, and said,

"New house, new madam."

The woman was a bit shocked at the implication, but then thought "that's really not so bad." When her two teenage daughters returned from school, the bird saw them and said, "New house, new madam, new girls."The girls and the woman were a bit offended but then began to laugh about the situation considering how and where the parrot had been raised.

Moments later, the woman's husband Keith came home from work.

The bird looked at him and said,

"Hi Keith."

Why all the fuss about parking? Surely no one heading to drink is thinking about driving.

There was potentially more reason to go to Tuskers than just drinking for hours.

There is a very large expat population living outside the moat/night bazaar and its environs that decides where to go strictly on the parking situation. I went to Tuskers for club meetings only. I know several people (OK, several is not many, but you will get my point) who did not go simply because the parking at night was too difficult. Lack of parking overcame their desire to go to the photography group meetings.

As many posters pointed out, location matters and you have to decided who is your target clientele and where do they come from. Anyone operating out of Tuskers must be aiming at the tourist and residents living in the immediate/nearby areas.

Do not automatically discount the impact parking vs no parking has on the repeat customer base.

Tuskers was a terrible business. I can only feel sorry for the amount of money the owner lost by walking away from it. But thats what happens when you've got no idea on how to make money. It's in the wrong place for his target clientèle. If I was the new owner, I'd have cheap booze like the gecko garden, good cheap food like the gecko garden, but unlike the gecko garden I'd stomp around the backpacker areas and the night market and get the people in. People don't mind paying 60baht for a TukTuk if there going to save 400baht on their bill. I just hope the new owner doesn't follow the same path as the last, normal tourist prices for food and drink. What set tuskers apart from all the other westernized bars in town. Nothing. If its going to work at the new tuskers, they have to offer something that others don't.

looks like the Chiang Mai forum has a lot of entrepreneurs with great entrepreneurial ideas.

Who say's I don't already have four successful businesses already, but unlike most I decided a long time ago that the only way to keep a reliable source of custom is to target the Thai market. There's no money in businesses that accommodate foreigners at the minute in Thailand and if anyone says different, then get off your arse, drive out of your moo baan and take a look around town. I thought it would be nice to give someone a nice idea to try and do something that only one place in town offers. Good food,Good beer, Great price! But obviously people on TV who sit on their computers all day moaning about every little thing they can think of, because they have nothing better to do with their sad lives, know better then me. Good Luck to the new owners of Tuskers.

We not all have to sell Singha or Chang Beer to make a living.

Get some imagination a little bit, there are a lot of things to do in CM...

Who say's I don't already have four successful businesses already, but unlike most I decided a long time ago that the only way to keep a reliable source of custom is to target the Thai market. There's no money in businesses that accommodate foreigners at the minute in Thailand and if anyone says different, then get off your arse, drive out of your moo baan and take a look around town. I thought it would be nice to give someone a nice idea to try and do something that only one place in town offers. Good food,Good beer, Great price! But obviously people on TV who sit on their computers all day moaning about every little thing they can think of, because they have nothing better to do with their sad lives, know better then me. Good Luck to the new owners of Tuskers.

We not all have to sell Singha or Chang Beer to make a living.

Get some imagination a little bit, there are a lot of things to do in CM...

What planet are you on! We are talking about a bar, this thread is about a bar. So thanks for your quote. Stop using your imagination and turn the computer off and get out of the house, because my friend TUSKERS did and in the near future will sell SINGHA,and CHANG.

My father used to say to me. If you've got nothing worth saying. Don't say anything at all.

I don't know ANY bar in central Chiang Mai that offers parking. A few are a bit better than others, but if you have a car then parking is at a premium. What Tuskers offered was a quiet place with pleasant surroundings where you could actually converse with a group of people at a table, or stand up and have a chat at the bar. Chas and Rachel made everyone feel welcome. If the new owner wants to have more parking then just elimenate the seating arrangement area and turn it into bike parking. Anybody tried parking a car or driving through the Nimmenhamen area in the evening? It's a zoo.

I don't know ANY bar in central Chiang Mai that offers parking. A few are a bit better than others, but if you have a car then parking is at a premium. What Tuskers offered was a quiet place with pleasant surroundings where you could actually converse with a group of people at a table, or stand up and have a chat at the bar. Chas and Rachel made everyone feel welcome. If the new owner wants to have more parking then just elimenate the seating arrangement area and turn it into bike parking. Anybody tried parking a car or driving through the Nimmenhamen area in the evening? It's a zoo.

NUMBER 1 BAR has a nice big Car parkfor its customers and Valet parking :D and you can sit at a table and have a chat

Edited by DiamondKing

NUMBER 1 BAR has a nice big Car parkfor its customers and Valet parking :D and you can sit at a table and have a chat

I didn't know that and I've been in the Number 1 bar many times. Thanks for the into. I just don't drive a car and certainly wouldn't drive one down that very narrow soi. Number 1 bar is an entirely different place than Tuskers used to be. Not sure what it will be like in the future. Most establishments reflect on the personality of the owner. I can have a chat in all the bars in the Loi Kroh, Thai boxing complex as well, but wouldn't class it the same as Tuskers..

I didn't know that and I've been in the Number 1 bar many times. Thanks for the into. I just don't drive a car and certainly wouldn't drive one down that very narrow soi. Number 1 bar is an entirely different place than Tuskers used to be.

The parking lot is relatively recent. perhaps less than a year. And they've always had motorcycle parking with some guys to watch over things.

I didn't know that and I've been in the Number 1 bar many times. Thanks for the into. I just don't drive a car and certainly wouldn't drive one down that very narrow soi. Number 1 bar is an entirely different place than Tuskers used to be.

The parking lot is relatively recent. perhaps less than a year. And they've always had motorcycle parking with some guys to watch over things.

certainly a big thing for me to be able to go to a bar in either a car or bike and have a safe place to park even more of a bonus that there is a guy watching over the wheels while you having a drink.

I really would of gone to Tuskers more often on my rounds if it had parking as I agree with the personality of the owner brushing off ,(great if ya from belgium or holland) but no can say that N1bar is not a very well run bar.

DK

Tuskers was a terrible business. I can only feel sorry for the amount of money the owner lost by walking away from it. But thats what happens when you've got no idea on how to make money. It's in the wrong place for his target clientèle. If I was the new owner, I'd have cheap booze like the gecko garden, good cheap food like the gecko garden, but unlike the gecko garden I'd stomp around the backpacker areas and the night market and get the people in. People don't mind paying 60baht for a TukTuk if there going to save 400baht on their bill. I just hope the new owner doesn't follow the same path as the last, normal tourist prices for food and drink. What set tuskers apart from all the other westernized bars in town. Nothing. If its going to work at the new tuskers, they have to offer something that others don't.

Just what's involved in this "stomping around the backpacker areas" you're advocating? Please tell us more - I'm sure there are plenty of bar owners reading TV who'd love to join you on one and see just how it could change their fortunes. Sandwich boards? Leaflets? Vouchers? Pretty girls to lure the backpackers? Kidnapping?

Let us know when you feel like giving a demonstration :huh: