PM Abhisit Says Emergency Decree Still Necessary

webfact

PM says emergency decree still necessary; Protesters prepare Ayutthaya rally

PHETCHABURI: -- It is still necessary to maintain the emergency decree in the Thai capital and nearby provinces as there are still groups of people who want to create disorder in the country, said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Saturday.

Many people have charged that the emergency decree, now imposed in Bangkok and three surrounding provinces, has negatively impacted the tourism industry in the country, said Mr Abhisit. The prime minister, however, said it is not true because foreign tourists would consider violence as the issue rather than a demonstration.

The public should cooperate and become eyes and ears for the government officials, the prime minister said.

Mr Abhisit said charges that the existing emergency decree has limited the people’s rights is "definitely untrue" because the anti-government protesters of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) could still demonstrate. The government has not stopped them and the reason that the emergency decree has not been lifted is because some people still want to create violence.

The demonstrators would continue to hold rallies or conduct violence because their “big boss” has ordered them not to stop, Mr Abhisit said, In the meantime, the authorities have been unable to retrieve all of the rocket propelled grenades (RPGs) which went missing during the UDD rally, Mr Abhisit said.

“I’ve got to be cautious too,” he added.

Meanwhile, police in the nearby province of Ayutthaya have set up 20 checkpoints on highways leading to the province. Police said extra searches would be made on cars carrying gas cylinders, oil and vehicle tyres in order to prevent untoward incidents as the UDD Red Shirt protesters have started to move to the provinces to start demonstrations as early as Saturday night.

About 500 anti-riot police officers have been deployed in Ayutthaya to maintain peace during the rally.

The UDD supporters, according to the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), plan to hold political activities in the northern province of Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Ayutthaya this weekend. It said that the UDD supporters could hold activities as planned if they do not violate the law and other people’s rights. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-10-17

The demonstrators would continue to hold rallies or conduct violence because their �big boss� has ordered them not to stop, Mr Abhisit said.

Please back up with a link. Please.

From another topic

"In his push for a return to Thailand, Thaksin has used video messages to encourage supporters but his broadcasts diminished during the April-May protests, which left 91 people dead in clashes between troops and demonstrators.

But he has not stopped his lobbying efforts and launched a public relations offensive in the wake of a deadly crackdown on the Red Shirt rallies, notably hiring Canadian lawyer and publicist Robert Amsterdam."

PS you may also phone k. Mark, your hero.

The demonstrators would continue to hold rallies or conduct violence because their "big boss" has ordered them not to stop, Mr Abhisit said.

Please post link where he has asked them to stop demonstrating and comiting violence:(

If a politician is banned from political activity for a set period, but continues to be active in politics, is this a criminal offence?

If so, then is the TS/PTT link a criminal conspiracy?

Expanding on your "theory" above, that would mean that the same "criminal conspiracy " could be applied to the Newin Chidchob/Bhumjaithai link. Neither of these surmises add anything to the OP discussion.

The behavioral aspects of the deposed convicted criminal Thaksin is never questioned as to being behind the unrest in whatever form or to extent the media wishes to express. But keeping the emergency decree in place is essential, despite its limitation and lack of effectiveness.

With the heads now having a price on them, assassinations of any of the top end, would throw this country into civil unrest at this point unseen. 91 dead? Start multiplying that by three zero's to get the potential or worse.

If Thaksin's political anti government demonstrations have not worked to date then is it not possible in his desperate attempts to reclaim seized ill gotten gains and possibly return home, conceivably Thaksin has (openly demonstrated) he has lost the plot and is now inciting terrorist acts to achieve his narcissistic goals?

The emergency decree is a lame duck and only gives right of redress after the fact but the country is still demonstrably lawless and the law is unenforceable by those empowered to do so.

The demonstrators would continue to hold rallies or conduct violence because their "big boss" has ordered them not to stop, Mr Abhisit said, In the meantime, the authorities have been unable to retrieve all of the rocket propelled grenades (RPGs) which went missing during the UDD rally, Mr Abhisit said.

"I've got to be cautious too," he added.

But on Sept 20th, the story was different;

September 20th 2010

Thailand's army chief on Monday admitted a military arsenal lost 30 rocket-propelled grenades ( RPGs) and said the investigation would take about a week.

"ThirtyRPGs did go missing from the military arsenal in Lop Buri province and I have reported this to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva," Gen Anupong said.

His remarks came after the concern that the missed RPGs might be used for inciting unrest was relieved.

The anti-government movement red-shirts on Sunday staged a rally in Bangkok to mark the 4th anniversary of 2006 military coup, which ousted the then Prime Minister ThaksinShinawatra, their leader d'facto. No violence occurred before they finished the rally at 6:00 p.m.

The red-shirt rally led by the anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) on Sunday went peacefully. Rallies can be held if they abide by the law, Anupong said.

Abhisit on Friday first admitted the cabinet had been aware of the missing RPG issue for a while, though it is not clear when the arms went missing and who did it.

For a man who is apparently all for reconcilliation he has an unusual way of showing it.

The demonstrators would continue to hold rallies or conduct violence because their "big boss" has ordered them not to stop, Mr Abhisit said.

Please you think the poor people have enough motivation to continue. In Thailand Money talks, BS walk

The demonstrators would continue to hold rallies or conduct violence because their "big boss" has ordered them not to stop, Mr Abhisit said, In the meantime, the authorities have been unable to retrieve all of the rocket propelled grenades (RPGs) which went missing during the UDD rally, Mr Abhisit said.

September 20th 2010

Thailand's army chief on Monday admitted a military arsenal lost 30 rocket-propelled grenades ( RPGs) and said the investigation would take about a week.

"ThirtyRPGs did go missing from the military arsenal in Lop Buri province and I have reported this to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva," Gen Anupong said.

His remarks came after the concern that the missed RPGs might be used for inciting unrest was relieved.

The anti-government movement red-shirts on Sunday staged a rally in Bangkok to mark the 4th anniversary of 2006 military coup, which ousted the then Prime Minister ThaksinShinawatra, their leader d'facto. No violence occurred before they finished the rally at 6:00 p.m.

The red-shirt rally led by the anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) on Sunday went peacefully. Rallies can be held if they abide by the law, Anupong said.

Abhisit on Friday first admitted the cabinet had been aware of the missing RPG issue for a while, though it is not clear when the arms went missing and who did it.

For a man who is apparently all for reconcilliation he has an unusual way of showing it.

In what way is not trusting terrorists not showing a desire for reconciliation? He allows them their puerile rallies even though

"Posted 2010-10-08 12:39

Rocket launcher, ammo found in Bangkok: police

BANGKOK, October 8, 2010 (AFP) - Thai police said Friday they had recovered a rocket launcher and ammunition in a rented room in central Bangkok, where there has been a series of grenade blasts in recent weeks.

The owner of the property discovered the arms cache after the tenant failed to pay the rent, said Police Colonel Ekachai Boonvisut.

"One rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) launcher, four RPG rockets and 750 AK-47 bullets were found in a small room and have already been handed over to the ordnance department," he said.

A string of minor blasts in Bangkok and a bomb explosion Tuesday at an apartment on the outskirts of the capital that killed four people have added to unease about security following deadly opposition protests in April and May.

Further posts have found the tenant was a Redshit. Of course they may only have been intended to be used as ornamental doorstops, but one did hit a fuel tank a few months back. Can't you be concerned and still for reconciliation?

September 20th 2010

In what way is not trusting terrorists not showing a desire for reconciliation? He allows them their puerile rallies even though

"Posted 2010-10-08 12:39

Rocket launcher, ammo found in Bangkok: police

BANGKOK, October 8, 2010 (AFP) - Thai police said Friday they had recovered a rocket launcher and ammunition in a rented room in central Bangkok, where there has been a series of grenade blasts in recent weeks.

The owner of the property discovered the arms cache after the tenant failed to pay the rent, said Police Colonel Ekachai Boonvisut.

"One rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) launcher, four RPG rockets and 750 AK-47 bullets were found in a small room and have already been handed over to the ordnance department," he said.

A string of minor blasts in Bangkok and a bomb explosion Tuesday at an apartment on the outskirts of the capital that killed four people have added to unease about security following deadly opposition protests in April and May.

Further posts have found the tenant was a Redshit. Of course they may only have been intended to be used as ornamental doorstops, but one did hit a fuel tank a few months back. Can't you be concerned and still for reconciliation?

I was pointing out that Abhisits remarks could be seen to be inflammatory seeing that the recent rallies have been peaceful but here he is stating that "they would conduct violence" because the "big boss has told them not to stop". Stop what, conducting violence? I understand that there have been bombings but what have the recent peaceful rallies got to do with that? Abhisit implies that these same people will conduct violence - there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that. These are the people he has to reconciliate with, not the people responsible for the bombings.

September 20th 2010

He allows the red-shirt gathering as long as they are peaceful, even in the three provinces where the E.D. is still valid. good way to show the spirit of reconciliation.

The missing RPG's and the bomb attacks in Bangkok are a different matter. Since the red-shirt accidentally blew himself up it has been quiet. Co-incidence ?

He allows the red-shirt gathering as long as they are peaceful, even in the three provinces where the E.D. is still valid. good way to show the spirit of reconciliation.

The missing RPG's and the bomb attacks in Bangkok are a different matter. Since the red-shirt accidentally blew himself up it has been quiet. Co-incidence ?

I do not disagree with you about the fact that the missing RPG's and the bomb attacks are a different matter, please read my post No.12 again. The important part is the fact that Abhisit linked the missing RPG's with the red shirt's at the rally on September 19th, in his statement that the "RPG's went missing during the UDD Rally" and then compounded it by saying that"they will continue to hold rallies and conduct violence".

As I said, this kind of rhetoric hardly helps the process of reconciliation.

I do not disagree with you about the fact that the missing RPG's and the bomb attacks are a different matter, please read my post No.12 again. The important part is the fact that Abhisit linked the missing RPG's with the red shirt's at the rally on September 19th, in his statement that the "RPG's went missing during the UDD Rally" and then compounded it by saying that"they will continue to hold rallies and conduct violence".

The last batch of RPG's missing was on Sept 7. So it's much more likely that the PM referred to the UDD rally in March - May in general. nothing went wrong on the 19th. Probably something lost in translation.

As for 'they continue to conduct violence', there have been a few cases linked clearly to red-shirts since the BKK rally was broken up on the 19th of May. That's not rhetoric, but fact. Ask 'buchholz' to dig up a few of those cases again if you don't know how to.

The last batch of RPG's missing was on Sept 7. So it's much more likely that the PM referred to the UDD rally in March - May in general. nothing went wrong on the 19th. Probably something lost in translation.

As for 'they continue to conduct violence', there have been a few cases linked clearly to red-shirts since the BKK rally was broken up on the 19th of May. That's not rhetoric, but fact. Ask 'buchholz' to dig up a few of those cases again if you don't know how to.

Source: MCOT.NET 16th October 2010

PHETCHABURI, Oct 16 -- It is still necessary to maintain the emergency decree in the Thai capital and nearby provinces as there are still groups of people who want to createdisorder in the country, said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Saturday.

Mr Abhisit said charges that the existing emergency decree has limited the people's rights is "definitely untrue" because the anti-government protesters of theUnited Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) could still demonstrate. The government has not stopped them and the reason that the emergency decree has not been lifted is because some people still want to create violence.

Thedemonstrators would continue to hold rallies or conduct violence because their "big boss" has ordered them not to stop, Mr Abhisit said, In the meantime, the authorities have been unable to retrieve all of the rocket propelledgrenades (RPGs) which went missing during the UDD rally, Mr Abhisit said.

I don't think there was anything missing in the translation as per the source I quoted (See MCOT quote above). The statement was made on the 16th October. As you said the the September 19th Rally went ahead peacefully. The Ayutthaya rally was about to happen/ was happening peacefully at the time the comments were made, yet Abhisit finds it necessary to state that the UDD supporters (demonstrators in Abhisit speak) would continue to conduct violence and then mention the RPG's going missing during the UDD rally. Which rally, no, it was not made clear. However, the inference that he was making that "he had to be cautious" was fairly obviously pointing the finger at body of people without having the courage/proof to say who he thought/knew they were. Not too reconcillitary then.

And as for your last comment, "As for 'they continue to conduct violence', there have been a few cases linked clearly to red-shirts since the BKK rally was broken up on the 19th of May". I am well aware of that. If you had read my posts more carefully you would have seen that I mentioned that. However, as far as I know there has only been one instance of an RPG being used by persons unknown (still), that being an attack on an empty oil tank of the Army Quartermasters Department on the 27th June 2010. Even a General in the Royal Thai Army conceded that they were probably stolen to sell outside of Thailand. So for Abhisit to casually drop into the conversation that he had to be cautious because some RPG's had been stolen was not very helpful.

I've no need to ask Bucholz on how to dig up cases, thank you, I'm sure he has them all documented. Strangely enough I am computer aware enough to be able to use the internet by myself ( though not so savvy on the TV reply etiquette, as was pointed out to me by a number of people, thank you for your input).

Source MCOT.Net 16th October 2010

Source: MCOT.NET 16th October 2010

PHETCHABURI, Oct 16 -- It is still necessary to maintain the emergency decree in the Thai capital and nearby provinces as there are still groups of people who want to createdisorder in the country, said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Saturday.

Mr Abhisit said charges that the existing emergency decree has limited the people's rights is "definitely untrue" because the anti-government protesters of theUnited Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) could still demonstrate. The government has not stopped them and the reason that the emergency decree has not been lifted is because some people still want to create violence.

Thedemonstrators would continue to hold rallies or conduct violence because their "big boss" has ordered them not to stop, Mr Abhisit said, In the meantime, the authorities have been unable to retrieve all of the rocket propelledgrenades (RPGs) which went missing during the UDD rally, Mr Abhisit said.

I don't think there was anything missing in the translation as per the source I quoted (See MCOT quote above). The statement was made on the 16th October. As you said the the September 19th Rally went ahead peacefully. The Ayutthaya rally was about to happen/ was happening peacefully at the time the comments were made, yet Abhisit finds it necessary to state that the UDD supporters (demonstrators in Abhisit speak) would continue to conduct violence and then mention the RPG's going missing during the UDD rally. Which rally, no, it was not made clear. However, the inference that he was making that "he had to be cautious" was fairly obviously pointing the finger at body of people without having the courage/proof to say who he thought/knew they were. Not too reconcillitary then.

And as for your last comment, "As for 'they continue to conduct violence', there have been a few cases linked clearly to red-shirts since the BKK rally was broken up on the 19th of May". I am well aware of that. If you had read my posts more carefully you would have seen that I mentioned that. However, as far as I know there has only been one instance of an RPG being used by persons unknown (still), that being an attack on an empty oil tank of the Army Quartermasters Department on the 27th June 2010. Even a General in the Royal Thai Army conceded that they were probably stolen to sell outside of Thailand. So for Abhisit to casually drop into the conversation that he had to be cautious because some RPG's had been stolen was not very helpful.

I've no need to ask Bucholz on how to dig up cases, thank you, I'm sure he has them all documented. Strangely enough I am computer aware enough to be able to use the internet by myself ( though not so savvy on the TV reply etiquette, as was pointed out to me by a number of people, thank you for your input).

Source MCOT.Net 16th October 2010

You said "The important part is the fact that Abhisit linked the missing RPG's with the red shirt's at the rally on September 19th, in his statement that the "RPG's went missing during the UDD Rally" and then compounded it by saying that"they will continue to hold rallies and conduct violence"."

I said "So it's much more likely that the PM referred to the UDD rally in March - May in general."

As the PM's statement was from the 16th it seems more than likely he meant a previous UDD rally and most likely April - May.

Your "So for Abhisit to casually drop into the conversation that he had to be cautious because some RPG's had been stolen was not very helpful." is also carefully dropped and tries to distract from the fact that RPG are still missing, RPG's and other stuff is being used. The PM didn't say he has to be careful because of the RPG's, that's your interpretation.

What we have is a situation where with or without E.D. protest groups are allowed to rally after consultation with the police, agreeing on route, time, activities. Not really different from other countries. The main reason for the E.D. remains those unknowns who like to use RPG's/M79's and home-made stuff. Very unfortunate a few cases were linked to UDD, red-shirts and PTP. Don't blame me.

Edited by rubl

You said "The important part is the fact that Abhisit linked the missing RPG's with the red shirt's at the rally on September 19th, in his statement that the "RPG's went missing during the UDD Rally" and then compounded it by saying that"they will continue to hold rallies and conduct violence"."

I said "So it's much more likely that the PM referred to the UDD rally in March - May in general."

As the PM's statement was from the 16th it seems more than likely he meant a previous UDD rally and most likely April - May.

Your "So for Abhisit to casually drop into the conversation that he had to be cautious because some RPG's had been stolen was not very helpful." is also carefully dropped and tries to distract from the fact that RPG are still missing, RPG's and other stuff is being used. The PM didn't say he has to be careful because of the RPG's, that's your interpretation.

What we have is a situation where with or without E.D. protest groups are allowed to rally after consultation with the police, agreeing on route, time, activities. Not really different from other countries. The main reason for the E.D. remains those unknowns who like to use RPG's/M79's and home-made stuff. Very unfortunate a few cases were linked to UDD, red-shirts and PTP. Don't blame me.

OK, I concede your first point - it is possible Abhisit was referring to the earlier UDD rally, likely April/May.

As for Abhisit's comment about being cautious after mentioning the theft and non recovery of the PRG's in almost the same breath, I'm open to other interpretations.

With reference to your comment:

"tries to distract from the fact that RPG are still missing, RPG's and other stuff is being used."

RPG's have not been used since the one incident on the 27th June, explosives of one type or another, yes, but not RPG's. I am not being pedantic on this matter - Abhisit specifically mentions the missing RPG's and the UDD Rally despite the fact that on the 22nd September he had stated that ;

"the initial investigation found that the rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) stolen from Lopburi arsenal might have been sold to foreign countries. The premier commented after the army chief confirmed 30 RPGs had disappeared from the army's arsenal and two suspects were apprehended.Mr Abhisit said the official involved will be disciplined for the arms theft.

When asked whether the stolen arms are part of transnational weapons trading, the premier said further investigation must be made but conceded that initial reports indicatedas much, though an official conclusion has yet to be made.

In a related development, police spokesman Pol Maj Gen Prawut Thavornsiri said the police are speeding up the investigation to find those responsible for the missing RPGs, but to date there has been no report of their use in recent bombings." Source: MCOT.NET

I'm not blaming you, it's just that Mr Abhisit appears to have a short memory.

begin removed ...

RPG's have not been used since the one incident on the 27th June, explosives of one type or another, yes, but not RPG's. I am not being pedantic on this matter - Abhisit specifically mentions the missing RPG's and the UDD Rally despite the fact that on the 22nd September he had stated that ;

... end removed

One mention was from the 16th (RPG's and UDD violence). Despite the fact he said on the 22nd ? Correct would be 'but later on the 22nd he said ...' You suggest he contradicts himself on the 16th with something he hadn't said yet, but would say on the 22nd.

Anyway I doubt he 'stated', much more likely he listed possibilities. We're talking about politicians here, don't forget that.

For the rest enough said I think. Time to move on.

begin removed ...

... end removed

One mention was from the 16th (RPG's and UDD violence). Despite the fact he said on the 22nd ? Correct would be 'but later on the 22nd he said ...' You suggest he contradicts himself on the 16th with something he hadn't said yet, but would say on the 22nd.

Anyway I doubt he 'stated', much more likely he listed possibilities. We're talking about politicians here, don't forget that.

16th October, 22nd September are the relevant dates, but enough, move on.

begin removed ...

... end removed

16th October, 22nd September are the relevant dates, but enough, move on.

I stand corrected on the dates, apologies.

Still this stands "Anyway I doubt he 'stated', much more likely he listed possibilities. We're talking about politicians here, don't forget that.". Maybe change 'listed' into 'stated it might have been'.

Don't take politicians at face value, even handsome ones ;)

Edited by rubl

The demonstrators would continue to hold rallies or conduct violence because their �big boss� has ordered them not to stop, Mr Abhisit said.

From another topic

"In his push for a return to Thailand, Thaksin has used video messages to encourage supporters but his broadcasts diminished during the April-May protests, which left 91 people dead in clashes between troops and demonstrators.

But he has not stopped his lobbying efforts and launched a public relations offensive in the wake of a deadly crackdown on the Red Shirt rallies, notably hiring Canadian lawyer and publicist Robert Amsterdam."

PS you may also phone k. Mark, your hero.

I don't see a link.

PS. Never heard of Mark Thatcher?

Edited by chantorn

PS. Never heard of Mark Thatcher?

Interesting hero this Sir Mark Thatcher. Still remember he needed his mother pulling strings to get out of a mess he created. I just 'yahooed' on "Mark Thatcher" + "sentenced". found a.o.

- Extradition for Mark Thatcher looms as coup plot leader jailed

Published Date: 27 November 2004

- Thatcher fined over 'coup plot'

Sir Mark can now leave South Africa

Sir Mark Thatcher has left South Africa after pleading guilty over his involvement in an alleged coup plot in Equatorial Guinea.

Last Updated: Thursday, 13 January, 2005, 20:24 GMT

- Mark Thatcher sentenced in coup plot { January 14 2005 }

IF you really need links, yahoo/google a bit yourself.

In the mean time I suggest you change your signature to uniquely define the hero you love :)