Not Allowed To Enter "Private" Beach,For Public,On The Chedi Resort In Phuket!?

Sandman77

Hello!

last year i walking in phuket around,and looking the diffrent resorts,like every place,i go,then something very strange happend in the chedi resort puujet,i eat something in the restaurant,then i go down to the beach,after a while a stuff members comes,and please me to leave because i am not a gusts!

i told them,that i read in a travel book,that a right to stay on the beach,is proberty of the public,the law in your country whould say,i should go to the reception,the woman explains me,how this can happen,and told,when i would arreived by bought from antoher island,on the sea then,it would be allowed to stay,but not when i come on the normal mainroad,this because she say,we pay alot for buying the land!

very strange and funny story,indead,every where,in thailaknd this never happens before !

Yes, tho every time they get pulled on this in the paper the chedi deny it, claim it was a mistake, say they allow public access but dont want non guests in reception etc or some other excuse.. They are not the only hotel (meridien) who do this too.

Then you have the Thais on Freedom beach and Ya Nui beach demanding payment to go on the beach as they control the private land you must cross to get there, even to regular visitors after having eaten in their restaruant they aggressively demand a 'beach toll' to walk on it. Hence many expats have shunned it now, with all the additional visitors we used to bring, after many of us actively supporting them post tsunami.

Of course the hordes of budget flyers now mean they dont need repeat custom, and can be as surly and rude as they like and simply rely on the next plane load of noobs to support them.

Chedi are legally allowed to restrict the hotel to guests only, this is the thing, legally the beaches are public but if you have to cross private land they can deny this, or charge for it.

But when anyone writes to the gazette they deny it, I guess because of PR, but I too have been told cannot get access as the chedi security dont allow it.

I hate this sort of thing, I was with my wife and kids on holiday last year from Chiang Mai and was asked to pay. I said no go away walked on to the beach but my Thai wife was to nice to up set the con artist. Makes me so mad to see things like this, reminds me of the drug addicts conning tourists out of money in the queue to enter Gibraltar from Spain. The Spanish local police got fed up with them and ended up taking them for a ride and giving them a good hiding in the campo, that stopped it.