Postal From Us To Thailand

smartties

Hello guys,

My friend in the states wants to send me his old I-phone. Is this possible and how/what is the best option.

Since its a present I dont want to end up paying lots of customs money. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

smartties

I sent some vitamins a few weeks ago and sent them regular mail in a big padded envelope and put gift on customs form no problem

The OP wants to avoid paying customs duty on the iPhone, so I don't think the price of a packet of vitamin pills quite equates to the value of the cell phone somehow. ;)

As long as your friend states on the customs form that the value doesn't exceed 5,000 Baht and that it's a used model and a gift, you'll be OK. Don't have him send the phone in the original box either if he still has it.

It'll be a good idea to pack it in styrofoam rather than bubblepack because that absorbs impact much better than the latter.

Thanks for the reply;s guys!

@ Xircal: Do you really think it is this easy? So just sending with regular mail. No fedex or anything like that would work?

You guys dont think anyones gonna open it up?

Thanks again,

There is always that chance. I would also have it sent to a Thai friend (or at least use a Thai name as recipient).....

I sent some vitamins a few weeks ago and sent them regular mail in a big padded envelope and put gift on customs form no problem

The OP wants to avoid paying customs duty on the iPhone, so I don't think the price of a packet of vitamin pills quite equates to the value of the cell phone somehow. ;)

As long as your friend states on the customs form that the value doesn't exceed 5,000 Baht and that it's a used model and a gift, you'll be OK. Don't have him send the phone in the original box either if he still has it.

It'll be a good idea to pack it in styrofoam rather than bubblepack because that absorbs impact much better than the latter.

Note that you need an import licence for any device that emits radio waves, and that includes mobile phones. When you bring a mobile phone in on your person (or in your baggage) and it is your own, of course you can pass customs freely. If you receive a package (by postal mail or courier service) that declares "mobile phone" or such, customs is obliged to ask you to provide the import licence.

It may or may not slip through the cracks, I just want to point out the risk. Kindly also note that a misdeclaration is a tax offence.

i use usps priority mail all the time and never had any problems

My moms sends me stuff vai USPS no problems. A few times they opened as it was a big box, and just found snacks. no problem. Oh they waited to open in front of me. This was in BKK. My thai friend just got a iphone from his brother in the USA, sent it via USPS no problem. Only sent the phone, no charger or anything \, cheap and easy enough to get a charger here. He sent it as used item, gift no commercial value, got it no problems and not custom charge. He lives in Chang Mai.

Eric

Thanks again for all the responses.

Any problems using the US I-phone here in thailand with the simlock and stuff like that?

I might just go for it and see what happens.

Thanks again,

i use usps priority mail all the time and never had any problems

My moms sends me stuff vai USPS no problems. A few times they opened as it was a big box, and just found snacks. no problem. Oh they waited to open in front of me. This was in BKK. My thai friend just got a iphone from his brother in the USA, sent it via USPS no problem. Only sent the phone, no charger or anything \, cheap and easy enough to get a charger here. He sent it as used item, gift no commercial value, got it no problems and not custom charge. He lives in Chang Mai.

Eric

Thanks again for all the responses.

Any problems using the US I-phone here in thailand with the simlock and stuff like that?

I might just go for it and see what happens.

Thanks again,

An iPhone from the USA is almost certainly an AT&T phone, and it will need to be jailbroken and unlocked for use in Thailand. Not hard to do; I did it myself when I moved here from the USA a year ago. If it's the latest operating system (iOS4.1), then the unlock is not out yet. However, it is expected to be released sometime in November when apple releases iOS4.2. At the moment you can jailbreak it and use it as an iPod touch, then when the unlock is released next month, do that and you'll be able to use the phone to its full abilities. If your friend has graciously not updated the software past 3.1.3, awesome! You can use the phone right away. PM me if you'd like links to jailbreaking and unlocking software and information. (All this is free software, by the way. People who charge you money to jailbreak/unlock are merely using the free software for their own financial gain.)

As for mailing, I, like another poster on here, have received a couple packages from family in the US that were left unopened and untaxed. Packages were sent via USPS priority mail, with various items like soap, magazines, dog treats, girlie cosmetic stuff, etc. ;) I live in Chiang Mai. I would just have your friend package it in a well-padded envelope and see if it gets through, as some other posters here have mentioned.

Good luck!