Iphone 3Gs Dead - Water Damage

nikster

Just FYI, if you manage to screw up your iPhone beyond repair - as I have recently managed - then you can get an official replacement phone from True if within warranty. I guess the program is an official Apple program so DTAC and AIS should honor this too.

Costs 8800 baht. Better than nothing though.

My phone, I tried to get fixed by several different shops, they all said it's impossible. Water had gotten in on a motorbike trip through a torrential downpour - I had a water proof jacket so I thought it would be fine but I guess I left the pocket with the phone open and water got in. When I took the phone out, quite a bit of water came out. Water must have been in there for over an hour too. I tried everything, blow dryer, rice, and repair shops, nothing could revive it.

How long is the warranty for on these phones? I have a one year old 3Gs and would risk getting it wet if I could replace it with a 4G Model for 8800 baht! :whistling:

Sadly, they just give you another 3GS ;)

I've read that Apple does this for phones within warranty. The True lady didn't even ask, she said it didn't matter - but I don't quite believe that.

You gotta run the blow dryer for about 30 minutes....

We tried that, believe me. Blow dryers, kept it in rice for days, etc. The shops I took it to surely tried that as well. I think the main problem was that the phone was stuck in a boot / reboot loop for hours, until the battery ran out. And it was an hour or so before I even knew it had gotten wet. Oh well R.I.P iPhone. The irony was that I had some zip lock bags in the same pocket where the phone was, for just that purpose. Unfortunately the phone was outside the zip lock bags... :(