Goverment Survey Of Thai Ladies Married To Foreigner

honoluludave

Today I had the village head lady (Pu Jai Baan) come by the house. She had a paper from the goverment telling her to find out the number of women that were married to foreigners in her village. Wanted to know where I was from and if we were legally married. Did not ask to see any documents. No other infomation as to why she was told to do this. She was just following orders. Did anyone else have this happen today. And does anyone know why.

This may or may not have anything to do with your situation ... but I remember reading about 1.5-2 years ago (probably in the BKK Post or Nation) an article concerning the welfare of Thai women married to foreigners. Concerns had been raised that there were a significant number of women who were subject to abusive relationships, and there was to be some sort of survey process. I can't remember the name of the organisation who was to conduct this project ... and have heard nothing since

This may or may not have anything to do with your situation ... but I remember reading about 1.5-2 years ago (probably in the BKK Post or Nation) an article concerning the welfare of Thai women married to foreigners. Concerns had been raised that there were a significant number of women who were subject to abusive relationships, and there was to be some sort of survey process. I can't remember the name of the organisation who was to conduct this project ... and have heard nothing since

cmb, maybe they found out that Thai men are, statistically, more often abusive than westerners?

If the Thai government wants to know which women are legally married to foreigners, all they have to do is collect the information from the amphur/khet offices. Sounds easier to me.

Actually, I've seen some women abused by farang hubbies and its no laughing matter.

They force them to drive oversized SUVs like Fortuners and MU7s

The insist on them living in large air conditioned houses which are purpose built for their inprisonment. They cunningly cover these two deeds up by registering both in the wife's name so nobody suspects anything. These dastardly devils.

Then if that were not enough, they make them parade around town arm in arm dressed like a hooker.

I don't know how they stand it! You think the families would intervene... I've heard that some of the family members are abused too though. Maybe this is to send a warning shot!

"Any of you fookers misbehave and I'll make you ride a new FIno!"

"Look at me funny again and I'll wrap a 2 baht necklace around your...er...neck! see how you like that, eh! "

oh, the horror...

All interesting comments so far. But does not answer the question of why they are doing it. And going to the Amphur Office does not include the people that were married some where else. Plus we have several couples out here that say they are married but never registered it at the Amphur office.

its great that the thai gov is finally stepping up and doing something about this issue.

what issue are they addressing??????????????????????????

maybe the thai govt is looking to up farang investment and want to learn the techniques the girls use so successfully!

Edited by jorgelupo

This sounds suspicious to me. Are you sure she (the Phoo yai baan) was really the Poo yai baan? And did she have proper identification? And was the "survey" genuine?

I remember a book I read a few months ago (forgot the title, though), where some farang wanted to find out what his Thai "wife" was doing while he was away. He hired a PI, who went to the village where this lady was living, pretending to carry out a survey about marriage. In fact he only wanted to find out for his client if this particular Thai lady was living alone or had a second husband (which she did).

I would be very careful disclosing private information to third persons.

I remember a book I read a few months ago (forgot the title, though), where some farang wanted to find out what his Thai "wife" was doing while he was away. He hired a PI, who went to the village where this lady was living, pretending to carry out a survey about marriage. In fact he only wanted to find out for his client if this particular Thai lady was living alone or had a second husband (which she did.

That would be 'Private Dancer'.

its great that the thai gov is finally stepping up and doing something about this issue.

what issue are they addressing??????????????????????????

maybe the thai govt is looking to up farang investment and want to learn the techniques the girls use so successfully!

He's winding you up, Christ ...

Actually, I've seen some women abused by farang hubbies and its no laughing matter.

They force them to drive oversized SUVs like Fortuners and MU7s

The insist on them living in large air conditioned houses which are purpose built for their inprisonment. They cunningly cover these two deeds up by registering both in the wife's name so nobody suspects anything. These dastardly devils.

Then if that were not enough, they make them parade around town arm in arm dressed like a hooker.

I don't know how they stand it! You think the families would intervene... I've heard that some of the family members are abused too though. Maybe this is to send a warning shot!

"Any of you fookers misbehave and I'll make you ride a new FIno!"

"Look at me funny again and I'll wrap a 2 baht necklace around your...er...neck! see how you like that, eh! "

oh, the horror...

Ha Ha ! Good post Loz

It woul be good if Chunks could start to use emoticons then. Coz I don't get his jokes!

If anyone came knocking on my door, with no papers or proof who they are then they would be shown the gate.

Yes and since they are approaching non-Thai's with this I think flashing an ID printed strictly in Thai is also non productive..

All interesting comments so far. But does not answer the question of why they are doing it. And going to the Amphur Office does not include the people that were married some where else. Plus we have several couples out here that say they are married but never registered it at the Amphur office.

It could be any numbers of reasons, including that what the Woman said the reason it was for, actually wasn't the case at all as she wasn't interested in any Documents or had any idea why she was actually doing it..

Edited by MSingh

Have your wife open the door in chains in future. Set the right tone.

The chains are that long. You extravagant so and so. Mind you I wish my wife would extend the length of my chains. Can't get to the TV remote.

On a serious note, this topic does seem to come up fairly regularly over the 5 years I've been on here. Probably some local official with nothing to do.

Edited by tso310

I remember a book I read a few months ago (forgot the title, though), where some farang wanted to find out what his Thai "wife" was doing while he was away. He hired a PI, who went to the village where this lady was living, pretending to carry out a survey about marriage. In fact he only wanted to find out for his client if this particular Thai lady was living alone or had a second husband (which she did.

That would be 'Private Dancer'.

Yes, exactly. Thanks. :thumbsup: