Language Advice

lubito

Hello,

Recently I've read an article named 'Why I Never Married A Thai' and decided to test my Thai girlfriend a bit (asking her to express her love for me in her native tongue'. She said, 'Chan Rak Khun' and when I reminded her about the other ('Chan Rak Ther') way she said that she can't say that 'cause it's not polite. What is the exact difference between 'Khun' and 'Ther'?

Thanks for your help/advice.

I always thought ther was the politest of the polite, it's what they always use in Thai songs and a lot of the time on T.V. Khun is also polite. I've rarley heard people say ther in real life so she might just be talking the way normal people talk to each other, thinking that this would be more polite. Thais also like to use their own names even if they are just talking between the two of them, so instead of ,"I love you" they might say, "Puyi rak Sam"

I'd only start to worry if she said,"Gu rak mung"

I'm sure there's a more in-depth answer, but this is my two pennies.

Hello,

From what i understand, Khun (คุณ) is a respectful common term. Ther (เธอ) used with Chan (ฉัน) this way would be informal (speaking to an intimate). I believe that when you hear Ther (เธอ) in songs, on t.v., etc . . more of an elegant type usage.

I think that you should be more concerned with the verb รัก rak than the pronoun if you want to test your girlfriend. I think that the meaning of 'love', which is the official equivalent of this word, will run and run.