Online Tesol/tefl Training/certificates

I have been asked if the various online language certificates are ok for people not having the time or finances for a full time course?

I have no doubt that the full time courses must give a better education but question relate more to whether schools requesting TESOL/TEFL are fine with the online certificates also? Cheers!

I have been asked if the various online language certificates are ok for people not having the time or finances for a full time course?

I have no doubt that the full time courses must give a better education but question relate more to whether schools requesting TESOL/TEFL are fine with the online certificates also? Cheers!

Are we talking about "remote learning" where you actually have to study and be tested to get your certificate from home or a "diploma mill" where you pay your money and receive the certificate in the mail.

For the latter, it could get one in trouble in Thailand with essentially false documents and certainly unfair to the students they would teach. As for the former, verify the certification authority and classification such as RSA certification and if valid would seem ok. Also do a search on the Internet for the specific company offering the certificate to see if anyone else has experience with them and able to actually apply it in the real world.

If those asking you have one or more years of teaching experience, these online courses might substitute for the alternative of independent research and reading on their own. That is because the big advantage of the full courses is the teaching practice the students get as many taking these courses have never taught before.

Maybe your friends do not need this.

As for being accepted as a substitute or equivalent to the full courses; only a very inept interviewer or school would think so. The 120 hour CELTA, TEFL and TESOL Certificates are well respected.

But you do not need a Certificate to teach in Thailand. It is only one consideration for the many institutions that hire. As you know, there is a serious shortage of native speaking teachers available and jobs are plentiful.

BTW, if your friends do decide to teach here, make sure they first find out the what and how of bottom up teaching methods. Classes in the West are nearly all top down methodologies so an uninformed newbie will meet with huge frustration and problems with students and administrators here.

Not refering to fake docs/diploma mills. Am refering to schools/institutions like the ones advertising on this page (see google ads at top of this page).

Cheers!

Sorry about that, I just realized I never look at the Google ads. :o Guess I will now look before I leap.

I spent one month and about 80000.00B to get a RSA TEFL/TESOL certificate at at college before I came here in order to have a grass roots skill in case I couldn't find a position in my career field. As such I have never used the certificate. However it has proved beneficial in my other teaching responsibilities by learning to structure myself and building self confidence in standing in front of a group of people (the fear factor).

Edited by tywais

Paul and Tywais, thanks for some good replies. My friends (a couple) are already teachers (not English teachers though) so one of the online schools will probably be fine for their need, they might not need it at all, but they said they would feel better with some kind of certificate on top of their own degrees from home country, and a couple of schools have (via email) asked for it. Cheers!

• 3 months later...

There was a fair reference to the value of the longer courses for those with no teaching experience.

I have a PGCE (Secondary Science), and I think that an online course in addition could well be a good basis for getting a decent post, so long as I arrange some practical voluntary teaching sessions in EFL, if the course does not include any, to add to my credentials.

Any opinions or similar experience to refer to? Thanks