Throwing Piles Of Cash Into The Air

ukrules

I was sitting outside last night having a few beers at Red Lips in Nana Plaza, I haven't been there for a while, maybe six or seven months or more so I thought I'd check it out.

After I'd had a few beers there was some commotion at the bar called 'Lollipop' next door, a guy came running our followed by the entire staff, he stood there in front of the bar and threw a chunk of 20 Baht notes into the air, this created a frenzy with the staff running out of every nearby bar scrambling to pick up the money. Then he did it again while the frenzy was still ongoing, and again.

I think this happened on four or five occasions over the next hour or so and it was also going on inside the bar, you could see everyone in there going nuts through the entrance.

I've never seen anything like this before, even in Thailand. I wish I had it on video but it happened so fast that by the time I got my phone out and found the camera function I would have missed it.

One of the girls in Red Lips told me that on new years eve someone threw a lot of money from one of the balconies in Nana Plaza and the whole place went nuts, not just 20's either. They reckon it was something like 100,000 Baht.

How may notes did you get then?

None.

I don't understand why they go nuts when this happens, in general I'd say they're going to be lucky to get one, or at most two 20 Baht notes. This is a pretty small amount of money.

I would describe it as a wild frenzy with lots of screaming. They were literally banging their heads against each other trying to pick up the few notes which actually made it to the floor without being caught mid air.

Isn't it absolutely disgusting how low ( literally ) some people ( not just Thai's but i've never known a race so utterly at the mercy of money & do ANYTHING for it ) behave towards it ??

They dont this at Liverpool Street Station several years ago for a music video, the wealthy banksters at first tried to be casual about it until realsising what was going on then lost their reserve to fill their pockets.

Its quite a famous pop group video if anyone knows so they can put a link on, but i dont know any bands since Oasis.

Isn't it absolutely disgusting how low ( literally ) some people ( not just Thai's but i've never known a race so utterly at the mercy of money & do ANYTHING for it ) behave towards it ??

We aren't talking about the creme de la creme of Thai society here though are we?

The attitude of these young "ladies" is understandable, probably another 2 week millionaire living out a fantasy, his money, up to you as they say here.

100% of the time, the person "making it rain" is a world-class deuchebag. No exceptions.

That's an official scientific figure also.

As for how people react to free money, don't turn up your nose at them. Firstly, there is a large element of shared frenzy that is very much shared fun - think huge crowds of prepubescent girls awaiting Justin Beiber at a book signing. Secondly, to the idiot who believes Thais are more materialistic than any other race...not sure which race/s you're comparing against, but I know for a fact you have never lived in the US, Central America, South America, Australia, the UK, Russia, China, India, Pakistan, Israel and countless other nations.

Actually, I'm not sure where you have lived...Greenland v Thailand seems a safe guess?

We aren't talking about the creme de la creme of Thai society here though are we?

The attitude of these young "ladies" is understandable, probably another 2 week millionaire living out a fantasy, his money, up to you as they say here.

Of course not crem de la crem & yes, it is understandable..

It's utterly classless ( & not nice really when you think about it ) though & the Mushroom's that do it do my head much more than the people who actually go after it..

Saw almost the same thing when I was in Korea in the 1980's. Only thing is that this guy thought it would be funny to throw a few won coins into the middle of a busy intersection and watch the kids chase them. Myself and a couple of army buddies did not think it was too funny and let him know. To take advantage of someone poverty for enertaiment is just wrong

I find this sort of thing demeaning to the girls, ping pong balls as well.

If you want to give your money away, walk around giving the notes to the girls in their hands. Do it with dignity rather than make a spectacle out of it.

One ought always behave with dignity and decorum when one frequents a go-go bar, lest the establishment's reputation suffer

SC

Dunno if you ask the ladies - they will tell you it breaks up the boring feet shuffle they do on a nightly basis.

I did it yesterday at soi cowboy with about 1500 baht in ping pong balls and had a blast (I did insist on a free beer with each 500 baht bucket to ensure my cheap charlie status)

Its kind of like feeding ducks bread - you can do it where they all fight or you can toss a few to each one

In a strip club in the US, it is very common to spend 50-100 bucks "tipping"

Here you can "tip" with 60 cents (20 baht) and have a blast

I was initially very surprised at the enthusiasm of the girls - but I think it has more to do with the excitement than the actual monetary value

I saw several people do that and it was all in good fun

It did kinda backfire on me when my new gogo "friend" left the club with me and told the taxi driver I was rich man??? So we walked to the hotel

The rappers that "make it rain" has a double meaning (as in most lingo)

They also represent themselves as the "Rain Man" making it Rain - where the Rain Man is Satan

Edited by PlanetX

If you want to give your money away, walk around giving the notes to the girls in their hands. Do it with dignity rather than make a spectacle out of it.

Demeaning to the girls that are put on stage naked doing a depressing shuffle?

Anything that "livens" up the atmosphere I am sure is quite welcome

As I am sure you have never been a gogo dancer - I can see how your observations may differ from the girls

Edited by PlanetX

In a 'class' based society, such as Thailand, the word 'demeaning' has some meaning.

I modify the below quote to reflect the real meaning of "gburns57au". My modification is bolded, underlined & in blue;

I find this sort of thing more demeaning to the girls, ping pong balls as well.

It may seem apparent that some of these girls are happy but at the end of the day, they are despised by Thai society. It therefore seems that only a self indulgent prick would hurl cash around to watch the spectacle of the 'low class' grovel to get the cash.

I totally detest such an act as these people are the kind of people who are likely to make money from circuses & human trading.

In some of the Indian night clubs that I used to frequent when I lived overseas, one could tip the dancing ladies; in some places, the serving staff would bring the lady an item of jewellery (bangles, or a crown, depending on the amount of the tip); in others, the serving staff would shower the lady with 'paper money', with an entertaining flicking motion, and then a mop-wallah would sweep it all off the stage floor. I don't know how much a wad of paper money was, but 5 bangles, which was the minimum tip, I think, was about 500 baht, if I recall correctly...

SC