Thai Police Break Gang Of Colombian Thieves

webfact

Police break gang of Colombian thieves

Police have nabbed four members of a Colombian gang, which regularly broke into people's homes or cars to steal valuables, Central Investigation Bureau deputy-commissioner Maj-General Panya Mamen told the press Tuesday.[/b]

The three suspects John Alexander Quintero, 29; William Alexander Baquero, 27; and Ramos Forero Rene Francisco, 30; were charged for burglary, while the fourth suspect Leonardo Fabio Quintero Quinones, 22, was charged with taking stolen items. The four suspects, along with stolen items including wristwatches, mobile phones, a camera, a computer notebook and gold ring, worth a total of about Bt800,000, were presented to the media Tuesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-19

Just wonder why some people would make stealing/robbery ph34r.gif a profession shock1.gif

I spent two years in Colombia over a five year period in the 70s, and my experience was that Colombia had far more liars, thieves, crooked cops, and generally bad people than any of the 60-plus countries I've visited and lived in. Yes, there are many very good, kind and friendly people there, but they were always telling me to watch out for the Colombian "ratas" (rats). Actually, I had a great time and many adventures there ... but I was young and reckless, and felt I was immune to death. I was robbed, arrested several times (even though innocent), jailed for five days (even though innocent), extorted by the police, pickpocketed, spit at, and lied to constantly. Fortunately the many hard and sometimes dangerous times I experienced during my many adventure travels all over the world have, over the years, evolved into fond memories and great tales.

BTW, I mean no disrespect to any good Colombian's reading this, but you know what I'm talking about.

Just wonder why some people would make stealing/robbery ph34r.gif a profession shock1.gif

And i wonder how did police manage to get the gang? and why have they not been able to do the same with all the local Thai gangs that do the same every single day and night.?

Or is it ok for the locals to steal from others, but not the foreigners to steal from Thai's?:rolleyes:

Or is it ok for the locals to steal from others, but not the foreigners to steal from Thai's?:rolleyes:

Yes.

LOL, I thought so. so they actually do do some work to arrest the foreign gangs but do not even move their asses for the local gangs.

In my soi, in the past 3 months have had 3 bikes stolen, 4 houses broken in, and i am yet to even see police come around.

But good tip for the future, if you ever get robbed, contact police and tell them it was a foreign gang, that will get them working :)

And i wonder how did police manage to get the gang? and why have they not been able to do the same with all the local Thai gangs that do the same every single day and night.?

I wonder too...or maybe only Thai rats are allowed biggrin.gif

How do these foreign gangs operate here without the help of Thai? Cant imagine how they can come here, not know the language, not know anyone, and make a living stealing, must be something else to the story that hasent come to light. The same with the narcotics, someone has ordered it, I doubt that they just come with a stomach full of ice to sell on the street. Im sure if they are given the choice of gatling gun or give up their buyer, they will take the later.

I spent two years in Colombia over a five year period in the 70s, and my experience was that Colombia had far more liars, thieves, crooked cops, and generally bad people than any of the 60-plus countries I've visited and lived in. Yes, there are many very good, kind and friendly people there, but they were always telling me to watch out for the Colombian "ratas" (rats). Actually, I had a great time and many adventures there ... but I was young and reckless, and felt I was immune to death. I was robbed, arrested several times (even though innocent), jailed for five days (even though innocent), extorted by the police, pickpocketed, spit at, and lied to constantly. Fortunately the many hard and sometimes dangerous times I experienced during my many adventure travels all over the world have, over the years, evolved into fond memories and great tales.

BTW, I mean no disrespect to any good Colombian's reading this, but you know what I'm talking about.

100% correct. I call them cultures of crime. Add Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Venezuela, Oh lets not forget Nigeria.

How do these foreign gangs operate here without the help of Thai? Cant imagine how they can come here, not know the language, not know anyone, and make a living stealing, must be something else to the story that hasent come to light. The same with the narcotics, someone has ordered it, I doubt that they just come with a stomach full of ice to sell on the street. Im sure if they are given the choice of gatling gun or give up their buyer, they will take the later.

Colombian's are master thieves and criminals, and can be brutally violent .... Ever heard of the Medellian Cartel? And you can bet if they're bringing anything into Thailand it's definitely coke. Also, as long as they keep their mouth shut they can pass as Philippinos.

Hang on a minute. The headline should read "another gang of Columbian thieves"

My house was burgled (along with 3 others in my street) in late 2008 by a gang from the same country .

In my case, the BKK Metropolitan Police, Robbery Squad, eventually arrested 3, and the other 3 got away.

Unfortunately, the three that got away did so with most of my stuff but the other 3 were caught in possession of a huge haul of stolen goods.

Apparently they had turned over more than 40 properties before mine, including that of a high ranking police officer.

Those in custody were/are two from Columbia (male) and one Thai (female). She was the "lookout" and eventually turned informant.

From what I can gather, there seems to be a strong link between these gangs and Penang..

I won't detail the debacle that followed whilst the "elite" of Bangkok's police force conducted their investigation, but they did ask me if I knew where the Columbian Embassy was!

I have also learnt that "another party" in Bangkok, is paying for legal representation for those in custody.

These gangs are audacious and organised. Pity the "boys in brown" cannot see it!

Just how many sodding Columbian are there in Thailand?

Love to hear some of your stories. I like to live vicariously.

Ripping things off is one of the most deeply inbred human traits. Monkeys, great apes, and most other animals do it - when stealing food or mates from each other. Our species is not far removed from apes, genetically. We've had roughly 130,000 years to 'evolve' since our split from a common ancestor of apes. Perhaps the bigger question is 'which branch of the ancestoral (rhymes with arboral) tree evolved more than the other? (....and by what criteria?)' In other words, is our species more evolved with its 'honor killings' and 'suicide bombers' than gorillas sitting around munching leaves?

In other words, is our species more evolved with its 'honor killings' and 'suicide bombers' than gorillas sitting around munching leaves?

Not really, no.

And the dolphins must piss themselves laughing at our antics.

//edit/did an edit

Edited by Thaddeus

UPDATE

South Americans Implicated in High-profile Bangkok Burglaries

Four Colombian nationals have been arrested for their involvement in several high profile burglaries conducted on notable officials, dignitaries and wealthy Thai nationals in the capital of Bangkok recently.

Bangkok, the 19th of October 2010: Thai police on Tuesday arrested the four Colombians after they had been tracked by police over their involvement in several burglaries in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

Identified as John Alexander Quintro [29], William Alexander Baquero [27], Ramos Forero Rene Francisco [30] and Leonardo Fabio Quintero Quinones [22], the four men are now thought to be part of a wider South American international crime gang operating in Thailand.

The full update is HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

2010-10-20

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

100% correct. I call them cultures of crime. Add Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Venezuela, Oh lets not forget Nigeria.

Absolutely. I crack up when I here all the Sally's crying about how bad, and corupt Thailand is. This place is a cake walk compared to C/S. America and W. Africa.

Sponsored by the police for a cut. Only the ones not giving the police their cut have anything to fear, which includes the foreign gangs. 

There are few Colombians and I happen to be one of the few. But I think you should really a show more respect for any country a person may come from as your "sodding" comment is not necessary. For the record it is not Columbians, this is any incorrect spelling of the name, there is "u" in the word. Secondly bad, evil, deceitful and treacherous people come from all areas of the world irregardless of ethnicity, religion, origin, sexual preference, or gender. Mafia's or organized crime syndicates are found everywhere too, I am sure that this is the case from where you come from, as I am certain someone from your country has gone to another person country and committed a crime. That is the sad part of everyday reality. It is also unfortunate when ignorance and misinformation, justifies some peoples presumption that all people from one nationality can be lumped into the same category. Many people from South America and Central America, are actually honest, law abiding, and hard working citizens. Colombia in particular is rich in natural resources and our flora is widely acclaimed. In conclusion, I wanted only to broaden your knowledge and that perhaps of other who may come across this tread that not all Colombians are bad, irregardless of our infamous organized crime syndicates, that is not the only part of history or our future, nor should it be the deciding factor to judge a nationality.

It is terribly embarassing for me to read this news about fellow Colombians committing crimes in a country that is hosting them, as it would be for any person in a similar situation, given that no nationality is exempt from committing crimes anywhere.

Hang on a minute. The headline should read "another gang of Columbian thieves"

My house was burgled (along with 3 others in my street) in late 2008 by a gang from the same country .

In my case, the BKK Metropolitan Police, Robbery Squad, eventually arrested 3, and the other 3 got away.

Unfortunately, the three that got away did so with most of my stuff but the other 3 were caught in possession of a huge haul of stolen goods.

Apparently they had turned over more than 40 properties before mine, including that of a high ranking police officer.

Those in custody were/are two from Columbia (male) and one Thai (female). She was the "lookout" and eventually turned informant.

From what I can gather, there seems to be a strong link between these gangs and Penang..

I won't detail the debacle that followed whilst the "elite" of Bangkok's police force conducted their investigation, but they did ask me if I knew where the Columbian Embassy was!

I have also learnt that "another party" in Bangkok, is paying for legal representation for those in custody.

These gangs are audacious and organised. Pity the "boys in brown" cannot see it!

Just how many sodding Columbian are there in Thailand?

There are few Colombians and I happen to be one of the few. But I think you should really a show more respect for any country a person may come from as your "sodding" comment is not necessary. For the record it is not Columbians, this is any incorrect spelling of the name, there is "u" in the word. Secondly bad, evil, deceitful and treacherous people come from all areas of the world irregardless of ethnicity, religion, origin, sexual preference, or gender. Mafia's or organized crime syndicates are found everywhere too, I am sure that this is the case from where you come from, as I am certain someone from your country has gone to another person country and committed a crime. That is the sad part of everyday reality. It is also unfortunate when ignorance and misinformation, justifies some peoples presumption that all people from one nationality can be lumped into the same category. Many people from South America and Central America, are actually honest, law abiding, and hard working citizens. Colombia in particular is rich in natural resources and our flora is widely acclaimed. In conclusion, I wanted only to broaden your knowledge and that perhaps of other who may come across this tread that not all Colombians are bad, irregardless of our infamous organized crime syndicates, that is not the only part of history or our future, nor should it be the deciding factor to judge a nationality.

It is terribly embarassing for me to read this news about fellow Colombians committing crimes in a country that is hosting them, as it would be for any person in a similar situation, given that no nationality is exempt from committing crimes anywhere.

Hi Laura, You're right. I have a Colombian sister-in-law, and she's a fine, fun-loving, trustworthy gal. There's good and bad everywhere. Thanks for speaking up.

Shitty latino americanos, that's why I left that hellhole, hopefully to never go back (I'm from SP/Brazil). It's the culture in general... bad... just bad. Same thing you see in France, in Italy and... in the Philippines. Shitholes, all of them.

(I'm not saying there are not nice people in there, but the general culture is "take advantage of everyone as much as you can for as little effort as possible")

Edited by LeoViotti

Secondly bad, evil, deceitful and treacherous people come from all areas of the world irregardless of ethnicity, religion, origin, sexual preference, or gender. Mafia's or organized crime syndicates are found everywhere too, I am sure that this is the case from where you come from, as I am certain someone from your country has gone to another person country and committed a crime. That is the sad part of everyday reality. It is also unfortunate when ignorance and misinformation, justifies some peoples presumption that all people from one nationality can be lumped into the same category. Many people from South America and Central America, are actually honest, law abiding, and hard working citizens.

I think you are missing the point.

No one is saying that _all_ Colombians are criminals. Clearly, this is not the case and vast majority of Colombians live ordinary lives and are perfectly respectable people who have to deal with their crappy security situation also.

The point is that Colombia (and South America) has a LOT of bad people - MUCH more than in the USA for example. People in Colombia are very poor, very desperate, and they are more accepting of violence as they have been exposed to it via various conflicts. I've been to Colombia and some other SA countries. Security problems permeate every aspect of your life. Lots of places you can't go to at night, and lots and lots of very violent crimes. There is a good reason why people in Bogota build fortress walls around their prison houses... complete with shard glass in concrete at the top. There is good reasons why people are very careful where they go after 4pm and avoid taking random taxis on the street. There is good reason why my Colombian friends in US don't want to go back there. The list of security precautions ordinary Bogotans take to live their ordinary lives is very long.

The point, if you need it spelled out, is that security and crime situation is much worse in Colombia than Thailand. It is not even close. I've crisscrossed almost the whole country of Thailand and wondered around everywhere at all hours of the day and security was never an issue. Not once. In contrast, in Colombia you simply can't go to a lot of places. You can't go to even more places as a white guy. And you can't go to a ton of places after dark. It's just a bad idea. In Thailand, you may bet pick-pocketed. In Colombia, you may get stabbed to death before or after they take all your stuff. Thankfully kidnapping situation improved in recent years... at least for foreigners, but that in itself speaks volumes, doesn't it? (BTW, I was robbed by 3 armed men in Bogota just 2 months ago...)

Yes, I know you are trying to defend Colombia and I agree that a word needs to be said that vast majority of Colombians are nice people. But saying that there are criminals in every country and Colombia is no different is completely missing the point. Colombia is much worse in terms of the crimes committed and the frequency of these crimes.

To Lauralucci

I have met many good honest decent intelligent and professional Colombians in Canada who have escaped from the Colombian government and the crime of that country. I have however met many more who, upon arrival in Canada, set up drug selling rings in the big cities and are ruthless in clearing out all other dealers in their neighbourhood. Very good businessmen. There are hundreds of wasted young lives who are much happier living like this than to live in their own country. What a place to come from! Now they are in Thailand and the Thai police won't be anywhere near as agreeable to them as my screwed up government is.

I meant no slur on any country, When in London, I met many S Americans who were honest and hard working. I had a G/F from Peru who I met at my friends wedding with a lady from Chile.

I spent 4 weeks in Brasil.

My point is these crimes are not opportunistic but are audacious and organised.

In my instance they turned over 4 houses, in the same street in 3 hours. This falls outside the "standard" pattern of crime in Thailand.

I failed to mention before, that when I inspected the recovered property, on a police computer, included were 3 Spanish passports.

I pointed out to the police that these passports were probably genuine. On one, the photo closely resembled one of those held in custody, thus divulging his real name and perhaps the other two passports might have led to tracing others involved.

Now you know how a Columbian may acquire a Spanish passport as a result of Gen Franco's victory , but try explaining that to a Thai who can’t even find the phone number of the Columbian embassy

In Thailand there is enough racial stereotyping and I will not indulge in the same.

My frustration is directed towards incompetence not nationality.

P

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you!

Hi Laura, You're right. I have a Colombian sister-in-law, and she's a fine, fun-loving, trustworthy gal. There's good and bad everywhere. Thanks for speaking up.