Anything To See Or Do In Vientienne ?

dmax

i have to go into laos today and stay one night, i guess i cannot take my car over ? i need to go to immagration in vientienne to get a 30 day stamp. anyway what is there to see and do in vientienne ? i like a drink , a few girls to chat to maybe, some decent food, i need a decent hotel but not too expensive, the wife is watchinjg my wallet very closely too :rolleyes: .....any advice would be mnuch appreciated .

thanks in advance

p.s might even head up to vieng tang where they do the rafting etc, whats it like up there and where is good to stay, hopefully somewhere that i can relax with a few farang lovelies for a beer or two B)

Edited by dmax

dmax, not trying to hijack your thread... :)

...I am also going up on Saturday to Vientiane for a couple of nights. Any hotel recommendations and things to do and see during the daytime and nighttime would be appreciated. Thanks.

...I am also going up on Saturday to Vientiane for a couple of nights. Any hotel recommendations and things to do and see during the daytime and nighttime would be appreciated. Thanks

yes m8 hope you have a good un, ( love the avatar btw :) ) ive looked at vang vieng on utube , looks great, rafting etc, im in udon thani now and by the sounds of it vientienne hasnt got much to offer, if i cros over into laos today or tonight i might head up to vang vieng for another night, but if i can get away with just crossing the border and getting my visa stamped that day ( tomorrow) i will just do the day return thing as i definately dont want to hang around vientienne.

hope some more guys can give us both some good advice on what to do and what not to do, will check this thread again in a few hours just to see what kind of advice i get.

Edited by dmax

...I am also going up on Saturday to Vientiane for a couple of nights. Any hotel recommendations and things to do and see during the daytime and nighttime would be appreciated. Thanks

yes m8 hope you have a good un, ( love the avatar btw :) ) ive looked at vang vieng on utube , looks great, rafting etc, im in udon thani now and by the sounds of it vientienne hasnt got much to offer, if i cros over into laos today or tonight i might head up to vang vieng for another night, but if i can get away with just crossing the border and getting my visa stamped that day ( tomorrow) i will just do the day return thing as i definately dont want to hang around vientienne.

hope some more guys can give us both some good advice on what to do and what not to do, will check this thread again in a few hours just to see what kind of advice i get.

Below a cut from an email I sent out this morning to a couple of newbies to Vientiane.

Mac

The Lao Plaza Hotel is right downtown but EXPENSIVE: http://www.laoplazahotel.com/roompromotions/index.php

The Tai Pan Hotel, hmmm, might be expensive too, it's been rebranded: http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/laos/vientiane_and_surrounds/vientiane/vientiane/all/2942

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=79060

Last month Sunee & I stayed at the Asian Pavilion Hotel, the old Constellation Hotel, which while kinda old, was OK. Large room, A/C, hot water, TV, fridge, for baht 600 a night, $20. It's just half a block from the Lao Plaza Hotel. Will probably book here again.

Places to visit?

-- the National Museum, smallish, about next to the Lao Plaza Hotel, same street, Samsenthai, as the Asian Pavilion, not too fancy but kinda interesting, from a commie viewpoint'

-- the Patu Xay aka The Monument aka the Vertical Runway, climb up to the top for a view of Vientiane;

-- the Lao Army Museum, out past the Monument, I've not been inside but might be interesting. Out back are displayed an M-113 APC, a Cessna RLAF 4-seater, an M-151 Jeep with USMC markings (wonder where that came from? Lam Son 719 leftover?), a 155 mm gun with "RTA" on the data plate (perhaps Royal Thai Army, left over from Moung Soui or the PDJ?);

-- the Morning Market aka Talal Sao, not the 2-3 story new "mall" building but the one to the right of it, downstairs and up on the 2nd floor. Skip the clothing and gold, check out some of the antiques, some are actually real;

-- That Luang, up the road and visible to the north from the Patu Xay, park and wander around the place;

Eateries:

-- the Sticky Fingers Restaurant, farang owned, a lady, good eats, opposite the Tai Pan Hotel, just off the river road;

-- the Khop Chai Deu Restaurant, http://www.khopchaideu.com/main.htm, very popular tourist and expat place;

-- evening Beer Lao along the riverside? Lots of local eateries there. But, the area is being redeveloped now and I'm not sure what's available these days, need to take a look.

Mac

if you are going for 1 night Bor Pen Nyang bar is on the riverside rd next door to Inter hotel, fourth floor rooftop bar with a nice view draft beer laos and plenty of hotties around Lunar disco at don chan palace is a disco that opens around 1100pm everybody goes there for afterhours drinks theres a couple places right downtown for about 800bt a night sunshine and b&p

I always stay at the Mekong Sunshine Hotel, on the riverfront, but a little further down (westwards), from the main bars/shops, about 600 meters from them and an easy walk. They have free wifi (that works), and rooms are clean and roomy. Cost per night is about 750 baht.

There is a large upstairs restaurant/bar next door which looks good, although I have never been there.

Simon

dmax, I hope u had a good trip up there and thanks for the Vang Vieng tip.

Mac, many thanks. Lots of useful information contained in your post.

Callao, thanks will check out the Lunar disco.

Simon, thanks again will check out your hotel suggestion.

Very helpful, cheers fellows. :)

i have to go into laos today and stay one night, i guess i cannot take my car over ? i need to go to immagration in vientienne to get a 30 day stamp. anyway what is there to see and do in vientienne ? i like a drink , a few girls to chat to maybe, some decent food, i need a decent hotel but not too expensive, the wife is watchinjg my wallet very closely too .....any advice would be mnuch appreciated .

??

yes y can take your car over, make sure its in ur name and then you can get all the paperwork done at the border in Nong Khai.

What 30 day stamp? crossing the bnorder will only get u 15 days.

Plenty of bars/restaurants on the riverfront and plenty of places to stay from 500 to 1,500 baht. I love vientene to just hang out,. Vists some temples, walk around, enjoy the peace and quite which is lacking now in Thailand.

yes, thanks for all the info lads, though i just crossed border at frienship . paid 1500 thb got a 15 day visa ext then turned right around and got a bus back to thailand, all in 1 hour, very quick and easy !! i just heard different stories about vientienne so to stay 2 days there i would be bored out of my skull. thanks for taking the time to post.

if you pay in USD then it's only 35 so why ppay 1500THB if can save a 15 USD by paying in USD instead of THB.

:whistling:

i have to go into laos today and stay one night, i guess i cannot take my car over ? i need to go to immagration in vientienne to get a 30 day stamp. anyway what is there to see and do in vientienne ? i like a drink , a few girls to chat to maybe, some decent food, i need a decent hotel but not too expensive, the wife is watchinjg my wallet very closely too .....any advice would be mnuch appreciated .

??

yes y can take your car over, make sure its in ur name and then you can get all the paperwork done at the border in Nong Khai.

What 30 day stamp? crossing the bnorder will only get u 15 days.

Plenty of bars/restaurants on the riverfront and plenty of places to stay from 500 to 1,500 baht. I love vientene to just hang out,. Vists some temples, walk around, enjoy the peace and quite which is lacking now in Thailand.

I have just been to Vientiane after 5 years and I must say, it came a long way since then. it is getting nicer, without losing it's laid-back atmosphere. plenty of brand-new small hotels popping up, where you can get a very decent room for 20-25$.

unlike 5 years ago, almost all downtown roads are paved now. the rules regarding night-life have somehow been relaxed too, with several places now open past midnight (unthinkable 5 years ago).

but better forget about "girls" until you are back to LOS, if that's what you r after, as a Lao national is not allowed by law to share a room overnight with a foreigner, unless they are MARRIED.