Wood Fumigation

kating

Hi all,

I need to send a small box with some wooden sculptures to Australia. It needs to be fumigated for customs but it is really to small for a freight forwarder so I am just going to put it in the post/Fed ex it with a certificate of fumigation. I would like to take it to some place in Baan Twaii and get it done privately rather than go through a freight or removals company. Has anyone done this or know were I can get it done?

Thanks

Kating,

Contact any shippers or Buyers Agents and they will point you in the right direction. Just a point of clarification - it is AQIS in Australia who will check the certification, not Customs. Make sure you get an AQIS approved fumigator. Some of them are a little dodgy here as you can well imagine. AQIS website will have a list of approved companies but a shortcut to this may be to contact a large company like Schenker Chiangmai who do their own fumigation. For a small box be prepared to pay about 1,000 baht depending on the type of wood.

Worst case scenario, if the fumigation is deemed improper at the Aussie end, they will give you three options:

• pay to get it done properly at AQIS;
  • arrage to send it back at your cost;
  • destroy it.

By all means contact me via PM if needed.

Good luck.

I sent a imitation orchid back to Oz and AQIS told me that i had the options of paying to get it fumigated or destroyed. It was not worth the cost for just one but a mate of mine shipped many of the same orchids back and he told me it was a flat rate for the fumigation wether you had one single one or a container load. Perhaps you should get a quote from the Australian end too. It may just as cheap .