Channel Islands Or The Likes...

I am a tax exile in Thailand. I have a filipina wife here too. If i want to go and stay in stay and work in the Channel Islands for say a year, I suppose I would have to use the UK embassy, but I am not sure of procedure. Not a straight forward one I know. I am looking for some Englsih speaking country to go, where I can work along with my wife, but not UK as I am ex pat for tax reasons. I have a problem as I have a Thai daughter who doesn't speak English and I want to spend a year in an English speaking country so that she becomes fluent. Any English speaking country would do really, but I would like my daughter to go to school and for me to be able to work with my wife, so a tourist visa isn't enough.

Thanks for any help....

You are correct that you will need to apply through the British embassy, but the process will take longer as everything will have to be sent to the appropriate island for the decision.

See Travelling to the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

I seem to recall at least one member here who is a Guernsey (I think, it may be Jersey) resident; maybe he'll be able to advise more.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a Guernsey resident.

What line of work are you both in? This will be the dominating factor as to whether it is feasible for you to come here. There are certainly opportunities for thai's and filipinas here, i have several friends with thai partners working here and there are a large number of filipina nurses on the island.

Housing is the main issue for non locals as there are two markets...open and local. The number of open market properties to rent or buy is considerably smaller and a hel_l of a lot more expensive.

By the way, the UK Home office can only assist with Tourist Visa's I believe. As we have our own Government and immigration laws any long stay or working visas will be dealt with on island and you do not need to go through the UK.

Feel free to pm and i will try and help you anyway i can.

Would Australia or New Zealand be an option? Or Singapore perhaps.

Edited by Treborz

Ireland

Very good suggestion, at least from an immigration point of view (economically or jobwise at present might be another matter).

But the advantage for the OP is that he can apply to the Irish under EEA rules for their equivalent of a "family permit", the application is free of charge and all he has to show is that they are married and that he is "exercising his Treaty Rights" as an EEA national seeking to live and work in a country other than his own.

To the OP, I am not being funny or anything like that. Just a question you say you are english and you have a Filipina wife, but you say your child is Thai. Is your Thai child from a relationship with a Thai lady or is she yours and your wifes child ? I was just wondering if she is yours and your wifes child how did she become a Thai Citizen ?

Country i would recommend to you would be Malta. Its in the EU . So no need for any big Visa Hassles for you. Can get a good English Education. English and Maltese schools there. English is widely spoken. People from all over the world there so nither you, your wife or daughter would feel out of place.

Good luck

To the OP, I am not being funny or anything like that. Just a question you say you are english and you have a Filipina wife, but you say your child is Thai. Is your Thai child from a relationship with a Thai lady or is she yours and your wifes child ? I was just wondering if she is yours and your wifes child how did she become a Thai Citizen ?

If the child was born in Thailand then it is Thai.

If the child was born in Thailand then it is Thai.

You are very very wrong. If a child is born in Thailand to Non - Thai parents . That child would no way be given a Thai Passport.

Where has anyone told you that a child born to Non Thai parents in Thailand would be classed as a Thai by the Thai goverment ??

Edited by dansat

You are very very wrong. If a child is born in Thailand to Non - Thai parents . That child would no way be given a Thai Passport.

Where has anyone told you that a child born to Non Thai parents in Thailand would be classed as a Thai by the Thai goverment ??

Also not correct. A child of Non-Thai parents is eligible for Thai citizenship if both parents are Permanent Residents at the time of the child's birth.

Also not correct. A child of Non-Thai parents is eligible for Thai citizenship if both parents are Permanent Residents at the time of the child's birth.

No there not.

Please tell us where you have got your infomation from ?

No there not.

Please tell us where you have got your infomation from ?

It is very clearly laid out in Thai nationality law.

Pre 1971 automatically a Thai citizen by birth on Thai soil, regardless of parents immigration status

1971 to 1992 - can register as a Thai national regardless of parents nationality at birth, so long as they have a continued link to Thailand

Post 1992 - both parents with PR and the child is Thai.

Now...back to the main discussion.

Edited by samran