US Man Faces Caning In Singapore

webfact

U.S. Man Faces Caning in Singapore

gallery_327_1086_4077.jpg

Mr. Kamari's lawyer, M. Ravi, said his client is facing a mandatory three strokes of the cane and a jail sentence if found guilty. Singaporean officials have declined Mr. Ravi's request to consider commuting the potential sentence to a fine. Mr. Ravi said this has been the case with some other offenders, including a relative of Mr. Kamari's wife who overstayed in Singapore for 194 days, but settled the issue by paying a fine of 500 Singaporean dollars (US$382).

A U.S. businessman could become the first American sentenced to caning in Singapore in 16 years if convicted of breaking the city-state's immigration laws, a prospect that has drawn the attention of U.S. officials.

Kamari Kenyada Charlton, 37 years old, a U.S. citizen born in the Bahamas, has been charged by the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority of Singapore for overstaying his three-month tourist visa by 169 days. He has been in custody since Sept. 1, when he was arrested at Singapore's Changi Airport trying to leave the country.

Mr. Kamari — as his attorney calls him in correspondence with Singapore officials—hasn't entered a plea. In a court filing, he acknowledged overstaying, citing bad advice he received while in Singapore from a person he met on the street.

Mr. Kamari's lawyer, M. Ravi, said his client is facing a mandatory three strokes of the cane and a jail sentence if found guilty. Singaporean officials have declined Mr. Ravi's request to consider commuting the potential sentence to a fine. Mr. Ravi said this has been the case with some other offenders, including a relative of Mr. Kamari's wife who overstayed in Singapore for 194 days, but settled the issue by paying a fine of 500 Singaporean dollars (US$382).

Mr. Ravi said he plans to take the case to Singapore's High Court on grounds of discrimination, contending Mr. Kamari faces different treatment.

"We have decided to take out an outstanding summons at the High Court in relation to the discrimination that Mr. Kamari is facing and challenge the mandatory caning as well," Mr. Ravi said.

Mr. Ravi said Mr. Kamari arrived in Singapore with his wife on Dec. 15, 2009. His wife was seeking medical treatment after two miscarriages. She is now in the Bahamas expecting a baby girl. Mr. Kamari runs a construction business in the Bahamas. Mr. Kamari entered Singapore on a three-month tourist visa and his wife on a six-month medical visa.

The Singapore police said any queries on the matter should be addressed to Singapore's Prison Service, which didn't respond to requests for comment.

Officials at the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority couldn't be reached Wednesday afternoon. The U.S. Embassy in Singapore said it is watching the case.

"The U.S. Embassy is closely monitoring the case and Embassy officials have provided consular assistance to this individual, including five visits by consular officers. We remind U.S. citizens that foreigners in any country are subject to the laws of that country. We respect Singapore's right to try and sentence individuals within due process of law," the embassy said.

Despite protests by human-rights groups, Singapore sometimes sentences those convicted of charges including vandalism and overstaying a visa to caning. In August, Swiss citizen Oliver Flicker got three strokes of the cane and a seven-month jail term for breaking into a train depot and spraying graffiti on a train.

Singapore boasts one of the lowest crime rates and highest standards of living in the world, but human-rights groups often criticize the government for excessive punishments, such as hanging drug dealers.

The last time an American was caned in Singapore was in 1994, when teenager Michael Fay got four strokes of the cane and four months in jail for vandalizing cars and public property despite appeals for leniency by then U.S. President Bill Clinton.

Source: http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?news_id=7537&coun_code=

SCANDASIA

2010-10-21

footer_n.gif

They have low crime rates for a reason. They should not make exceptions on their law unless there is a TRULY good reason for it (ie don't cane a woman while's she's pregnant or something along those lines) otherwise light his ass up.

What it takes to do visa run in Singapore?

Before yours visa expires - you go to Malaysia -JohorBahru by local bus,which cost - 15baht.

You can come back the same day, with new stamp valid another 3 months.

all it takes is 30 baht and may be 2 hours.

So,why he did not do it?hBecause he did not give a damm...

Now,he is crying about racism,discrimination and 100% he will ask President Obama for help.

And he creates problem for all expats in Singapore - generating precedense.

Good for him!

There is a follow-up to this story too...apparently additional charges have been filed against this fellow relating to some financial scam he was running while in Singapore as well. So this fellow is no "innocent abroad," but more your typical low-rent fereng you run into so often in these parts.

Best advice is what's been already given...best invest in some high quality air-cushions.

They have low crime rates for a reason. They should not make exceptions on their law unless there is a TRULY good reason for it (ie don't cane a woman while's she's pregnant or something along those lines) otherwise light his ass up.

"light his ass up" you made me laugh out loud to myself. I hope hes as much a hard ass as yourself.

Before yours visa expires - you go to Malaysia -JohorBahru by local bus,which cost - 15baht.

Now,he is crying about racism,discrimination and 100% he will ask President Obama for help.

Good for him!

Roger that. Article forgot to mention his financial fraud/theft charges (or some charges to that effect).

I am an American and I hope they whoop that ass. Only reason its even in media is because he is

American. I play by the rules wherever i go and if i make a stupid decision i accept the consequences.

As far as i am concerned as long as the law is relatively fair (emphasis on relative) then whoop that ass.

Anyone ever wonder why Singapore has such a low crime rate? Its not an accident.

Your Honor:

Pls do suspend the sentence until the baby is delivered.

Then let the new mother have it full stroke!

You really are not saying that nor meaning that are you sir/mam?

mstribling

Posted 2010-10-21 11:10

That's going to leave a mark bah.gif

Singapore_Punishment.wmv

Just a little one :o

I did not finish watching this clip.

I wonder just how many Thaivisa readers who watched this clip.... watched it til the end.... and

at the end would honestly say that....

THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH THOSE HUMANS WHO ERR.... regardless of circumstances....

Would any civilized man/woman choose to live by his/her own choosing in a country where absolute laws rule over compassion and mercy.

I was fortunate enough to be educated first by the British educational system and then by the American educational system in several American (State) universities.

When I witness another human suffers for whatever reasons, particularly by the overstaying case in S'pore which is unlike Michael Fay vandalism case;

is causing physical pain and injury to another human being, particularly in the overstaying case, a sufficient and reasonable application of punishment to inflict upon this offender....?

The answer to my own question is the very same answer that I choose to settle in Thailand rather than in S'pore where I received my British education.

Yes, I do know something about S'pore and Mr. Lee Kwan Yew is still my hero and the best example of a best state man alive.

Singapore Visa run by going to Malaysia or Indonesia ( overland ) will normally give 15 days only.

He is also reported to be wanted by Interpol, if he has been conducting his illegal scams when based in Singapore, the full weight of the law will be laid on him.

Silly man.

The people who have been scammed by him will probably be quite happy about it.

Edited by soihok

Singapore Visa run by going to Malaysia or Indonesia ( overland ) will normally give 15 days only.

He is also reported to be wanted by Interpol, if he has been conducting his illegal scams when based in Singapore, the full weight of the law will be laid on him.

Silly man.

Just for information,if anybody is interested:

my last entry from Johor,2 weeks ago - "NINETY DAYS",without asking for it.

Good for him!

Not only he did not give a damm, he was very busy conning and scamming people there. The Singapore police is now charging him for these crime. Visa run in Singapore is so very easy and cost so little in transportation. No fee for the visa either.

Silly man.

Just for information,if anybody is interested:

my last entry from Johor,2 weeks ago - "NINETY DAYS",without asking for it.

What visa do you hold?

Social visit pass, long term visit pass, any local sponsor?

I,m pretty impressed with 90 days, normally at the airport a social visit pass is 30.

I know Malaysia grants 90 days upon entry.

Good for him!

Roger that. Article forgot to mention his financial fraud/theft charges (or some charges to that effect).

I am an American and I hope they whoop that ass. Only reason its even in media is because he is

American. I play by the rules wherever i go and if i make a stupid decision i accept the consequences.

As far as i am concerned as long as the law is relatively fair (emphasis on relative) then whoop that ass.

Anyone ever wonder why Singapore has such a low crime rate? Its not an accident.

I think you need to watch that video. Even though I am a law abiding person where ever I am, I do not think I would ever go to Singapore, you just never know.

Good for him!

I think you need to watch that video. Even though I am a law abiding person where ever I am, I do not think I would ever go to Singapore, you just never know.

Did watch it. Ouch, oh well should have thought about that before commiting a crime and i doubt he just threw buble gum on the street. And we (I) don't know what that guy got the cane for but i would bet he won't pull the same shit again at least in Singapore. I know i walk the straight and narrow wherever i go including where i live. Only worry is if someone is ever set up such as underage girl with fake ID, etc.

My question to you is do you think there is a reason Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates? For me the answer is yes how about you?

For overstaying his visa - the subject of the OP - this guy deserves to be hung by the neck until dead.

Given that Singapore still has a fully functioning gallows, and a legal system that fully supports state sanctioned murder (rare amongst supposedly civilised 1st world countries), it should be easy to arrange. <_<

This thread has two issues to cover. One, does this guy deserve the punishment? And two, is such a punishment justified for such an offence?

So far, most comments relate to the first, but not the second.

I tend to think not. A bit obsessive. A fine, a few days in jail, but lasting marks...no way. And I would love one of these guys on this thread recommending he gets caned to be in the same situation and be happy with the punishment. Would never happen...they'd be crying like a baby before the first stroke.

For overstaying his visa - the subject of the OP - this guy deserves to be hung by the neck until dead.

Given that Singapore still has a fully functioning gallows, and a legal system that fully supports state sanctioned murder (rare amongst supposedly civilised 1st world countries), it should be easy to arrange. <_<

A ridiculous statement...absurd...