Iphone 3Gs Slowing Down

onnut

Hi guys,

I have had my iPhone 3Gs 32GB for a year now and not ever had any problems. but lately I have noticed it is getting slow, especially when I use the camera or open messages!

the memory is not full, only 2000 or so photos, and a few small childrens cartoons for my boy. and then I use it for internet all the time and also have 3 e-mail accounts which are busy.

I guess it just needs to be cleared out? what is the best way to do this please?

thank you

i have a mac mini and when I connect the 3Gs to it, I photo comes up

and it asks if i want to upload the pictures that are shown on the screen and whether i want to delete from the iphone

or keep it on there, I usually remove from iphone every time i connect.

I have a netbook Fujitsu and never use the iphone with it since i have my external drives connected

to the mac.

There are 3rd party software that would probably do it on a PC with windows?

A search on Google or if you are using True move they have a tech support just for the iphone and are very

helpful.

I tunes usually asks also in syncing what you want to do in preferences in either format i would think?

If you don't want so many pics on the iphone you better get some program like drop box, and or Ever note i usually download pics

and songs to these applications that are free in iphone and can sync with the PC/ Tech support told me that for battery life i should turn off 3G, and cellular data in General settings. I was also told to reset and reboot many times to speed things up but since I have no pics on the phone I only have songs and movies and hardly use up the 32 Gigs by half maybe it runs very good.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

I am thinking about selling the 3Gs and going for the 4 since they are out, I have two mop-hie white external batteries to go with them, if anyone is interested I am looking for best offer, it was purchased Oct 20, 2009 from True move, and i still have the box. I was thinking 20000 baht for the sale price since I paid 30,000 if i remember? The 4 G does not do much good here in Thailand since 3G is not even working everywhere, and the problems with the antennae might be a problem since they do not give the case Apple was giving out in other parts of the world. I have been buying them every year since they came out and always wind up selling and getting the new one.

Hi there

I do not have a Mac, so cant do that. but I have updated to the latest software, it did not help with my problem though.

Thank you anyway.

Hi there,

thank you for your helpful hints. I also reboot as often as possible but I keep it on 3G all the time as I am in Bangkok. my memory is only full by about 7GB, so not much at all. do you think it could be the internet cache or old deleted e-mails? if so how to rid the phone off them? I dont think the delete button actually clears it of the memory!

thanks

When you open a website with Safari there's a bar at the bottom with a plus sign and an open book…to clear your history touch the book and then 'clear'…that will clean a lot of back stuff...

Just done that, thank you. just re-booting now for good measure as well. cheers.

How many apps do you have running in the background? This may well be the problem (assuming you're on iOS 4 or higher).

hi there, I just went through them all and I do not have many, about 22 not including the ones that came on the phone when I bought it. I am on iOS4.1 I think, the latest one as I updated this a few days ago thinking that might help.

I just cleared a couple of Apps that I do not use and re-booted again but still slow. :unsure:

if I try a full factory reset through iTunes, will that put me back on the first iOS system or the latest do you know?

Thank you

If it is factory unlocked you can upgrade to the latest 4.1 firmware. Itunes will ask you if you want to upgrade, so it if it not factory unlocked then do not upgrade. Itunes will not downgrade your firmware at all. You should restore and then make sure you select "set up as a new phone". After you restore, just sync to Itunes to get everything back on your phone. If this doesn't solve it, then you may have a hardware issue.

How many apps do you have running in the background? This may well be the problem (assuming you're on iOS 4 or higher).

hi there, I just went through them all and I do not have many, about 22 not including the ones that came on the phone when I bought it. I am on iOS4.1 I think, the latest one as I updated this a few days ago thinking that might help.

I just cleared a couple of Apps that I do not use and re-booted again but still slow. :unsure:

if I try a full factory reset through iTunes, will that put me back on the first iOS system or the latest do you know?

Thank you

Thank you

Do you mean you have 22 apps installed or 22 apps running in the background? If the latter, this will slow down your phone considerably. To check the apps that are running in the background, double-click the home button. You'll see a list of them at the bottom of the screen. Hold down one until a red cross appears on it, then press this. This will close the app down. I would close everything down (except maybe phone, messages and settings). Remember that every time you open an app on the new OSs (4.0 and above) the app stays running in the background when you exit out of it using the home button. Too many apps running in the background = slow phone.

If you restore it will be to the latest OS (4.1), so no change there.

If it is factory unlocked you can upgrade to the latest 4.1 firmware. Itunes will ask you if you want to upgrade, so it if it not factory unlocked then do not upgrade. Itunes will not downgrade your firmware at all. You should restore and then make sure you select "set up as a new phone". After you restore, just sync to Itunes to get everything back on your phone. If this doesn't solve it, then you may have a hardware issue.

It is factory unlocked, so I have never had a problem to upgrade the firmware.

I will try your method, thank you.

Thank you

Do you mean you have 22 apps installed or 22 apps running in the background? If the latter, this will slow down your phone considerably. To check the apps that are running in the background, double-click the home button. You'll see a list of them at the bottom of the screen. Hold down one until a red cross appears on it, then press this. This will close the app down. I would close everything down (except maybe phone, messages and settings). Remember that every time you open an app on the new OSs (4.0 and above) the app stays running in the background when you exit out of it using the home button. Too many apps running in the background = slow phone.

I dont know how many were running in the background, but just checked and it looked like they were all at it. anyway, I just deleted the lot to see what happens.

thanks for that tip.

you can refer to this guide to many problems with an iphone:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1737

if your iphone was running ok before you installed some apps, then deleting the recent apps would be a good troubleshooting step.

if you check the above page, scroll down to section on reseting, this usually fixes about 75% of problems on an iphone... especially the soft reset of holding the sleep/wake button on the phone for 10 seconds until the apple logo appears will fix alot of software problems.

if it is still running slow after you have deleted the apps/reset the phone u may need to restore the software on the iphone. just make sure you do a back up of your content to itunes!!

I'd start disabling spotlight, especially if the email accounts and the contact list are so busy

sorry, what do you mean by spotlight?

Spotlight is the iPhone's search engine. .

It could make sense that your mobile slow down when you open the camera or the mailboxes, more are messages and photos more the spotlight's index increase its size.

It might have nothing to do with your speed problem but i'd give it a try.

Settings->General->Spotlight search

Reboot your mobile just to be sure to unload the index from the memory.

Thank you

My iPhone 4 working great but reading this I double clicked the home button and all apps were there. I stopped them all running but how do you shut down an app you are using if not with teh home button?