Thaksin The Loser In Televised Head-to-head

george

Thaksin the loser in televised head-to-head

BANGKOK: -- The Thursday-night talk between two prominent figures, National Reconciliation Commission chairman Anand Panyarachun and Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, on the crisis in the South was something of a two-man Truman Show, extraordinarily revealing for the public to judge.

Who was more credible and sensible during the talk, more fair and square? Of course, Thaksin’s admirers and Thai Rak Thai members would pick their leader. More unbiased viewers were more likely to opt for Anand as being more realistic and prudent in regard to integrity for resolving the crisis.

Alas! Thaksin had to treat the session as a “Meet the Press” event, an opportunity to expound on his hard-luck tales about his policy adventures in the crisis-plagued South and the need for unchallenged powers. Seasoned viewers regarded Anand’s turn as a “Press the Meat” session, one he hardly could have enjoyed, with Thaksin constantly blurting out interruptions.

It was also a comparison of leadership stature and compelling personalities. Anand, a two-time prime minister with long-standing international recognition, appeared a more mature figure, although he cast ill-concealed pathetic glances at the younger man quite a few times.

To a certain extent, it served as a reality show, allowing everyone to see the sharp contrasts between the two. Thaksin was there out of the necessity to regain credibility and public faith, following repeated failures in containing the expanding crisis. It was a high-stakes television appearance, because he had to share the limelight with someone who was in no way his inferior, except in family wealth.

Anand was there to present his views on the prevailing situation, underscoring the government’s misguided heavy-handed policies and its “dirty war” that has resulted in a number of Muslim “disappearances”. His abhorrence of the executive decree enforced by Thaksin was evident. At one point, he called it a “licence to kill”.

Anand was given much less time to discuss his ideas about how the government should proceed. Whenever he touched a raw nerve, he was promptly cut off by a defensive-sounding PM. This was no surprise. Until that night, Thaksin had been used to solo talks, particularly his one-sided Saturday radio chats.

As a national leader who shares centre stage with nobody, Thaksin obviously lost his composure and grew erratic when he saw that Anand’s words would further corrode his credibility and show him in a bad light. The moderator appeared lost when Thaksin tried hard to swing the public’s attention his way.

It could be the last time Thaksin agrees to appear in a televised debate with someone of such upstanding credibility and stature. Unkind comments have been made about the PM’s performance and rigid mind-set. Viewers could not help but conclude that it was dove versus hawk, with their differences far from reconciled.

The negative reaction against his performance proved that Thaksin’s soft-sell and spin skills for the gullible will not work on an educated audience, particularly with someone next to him offering such a stark contrast.

That’s why he devoted so much time on his radio show yesterday morning to repeating how the executive decree was necessary and that if civil rights were violated then some must suffer for the sake of national security. He used a clearly distasteful tone when referring to those opposed to his seizure of sweeping powers giving him unchallenged supremacy in the land.

What will happen next? Anand will go his own way together with his committee members, trying to prevent the crisis from snowballing into something even more calamitous. There will be obstacles along the way, because government elements entrusted to suppress terrorism must toe the Thaksin line. But Thaksin must prove that the executive decree will work the way he believes it will in these first three months of enforcement. If the crisis persists, then he will have to come up with a rational explanation about why it should be extended.

For the people in the South, what comes next is predictable. As long as Thaksin does not change his attitude or strategy, the crisis will persist, if not worsen, with yet more dead bodies piling up down there. The rest of the country will have to bear with Thaksin’s policies and the continuing search for a solution.

If Thaksin’s war gets much dirtier, it could start to resemble Argentina in the 1970s, with its thousands of disappearances under dictatorial rule by cut-throat military generals. The difference here is that we have a civilian - a former police officer, to be precise - directing the war, with all powers, unrestrained and commanding a submissive military force.

-- The Nation (editorial by Sopon Onkgara) 2005-07-31

A more well-written, factual assessment of the debate could not have been written. Terrific job, Khun Sopon.

Here's hoping you don't turn into one of the missing. Best of luck to you.

Keep up the excellent writing, if you dare.

My sentiments exactly. Just wish there was more of this kind of writing in the Thai-language newspapers so that more of the population could GET A CLUE! :o

I pray for you, brave writer.. :D

Edited by siamesekitty

A more well-written, factual assessment of the debate could not have been written.

So you saw the debate then John?

Actually this piece is an Editorial - editorializing that is heavily biased towards Anand without much factual reporting at all.

I'm not a fan of Thaksin's policies but lets not present this Editorial as objective analysis.

It's a real shame he is exposed as the prick he is just because of the problems in the South.

Think about how many different countries have problems with muslims and how many different approaches have been tried to address the problem.

We basically have western and non western countries, communist and non-communist countries, christian countries, buddhist countries, atheist countries etc etc who have tried the full range of approaches ranging from the most moronic politically correct to the most savage. The result is that none of them have solved the problem (because, I add, in all of them there still are muslims around...).

So, since simply eliminating all the muslims (at least in all of the non-muslim countries) is seen as something extreme (because, you know, Islam is not the problem even if no one in the Islam world has ever issued a fatwa publicly proclaming Osama Bin Laden and the other terrorist scum out of Islam = excommunication) if I have to choose I like much better the an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth approach. Let the bastards try their very own medicine and see if they like it...

Toxin's hard way to deal with the people down there cutting the throats of teen monks, shooting teachers and postmen and setting schools on fire is just about the only good I can see in the man who is, for the rest, one of the worst things happened to Thailand in recent years.

Edited by BAF

I heard that Thaksin got news a couple of years ago that the Mullahs were being paid Government bribes to stay peaceful.

He stopped the bribes - (which seems the right thing to do), then they started creating dissent in retailation.

Now its all mushroomed.

He is the democratically elected leader here- and would win another landslide tomorrow.

Free speech in Thailand allows farangs to criticise him. I wonder if non immigrant Asians staying in the UK or USA would have so much tolerance if they did likewise to the governments there

with Thaksin constantly blurting out interruptions.

fact

although he (Anand) cast ill-concealed pathetic glances at the younger man quite a few times.

fact

To a certain extent, it served as a reality show, allowing everyone to see the sharp contrasts between the two. Thaksin was there out of the necessity to regain credibility and public faith, following repeated failures in containing the expanding crisis. fact

It was a high-stakes television appearance, because he (Anand) had to share the limelight with someone who was in no way his inferior, except in family wealth.

fact

At one point, he (Anand) called it a “licence to kill”.

fact

Anand was given much less time to discuss his ideas about how the government should proceed. Whenever he touched a raw nerve, he was promptly cut off by a defensive-sounding PM.

fact

The moderator appeared lost when Thaksin tried hard to swing the public’s attention his way.

fact

The negative reaction against his performance proved that Thaksin’s soft-sell and spin skills for the gullible will not work on an educated audience, particularly with someone next to him offering such a stark contrast.

realistic, factual assessment

What will happen next? Anand will go his own way together with his committee members, trying to prevent the crisis from snowballing into something even more calamitous. There will be obstacles along the way, because government elements entrusted to suppress terrorism must toe the Thaksin line.

But Thaksin must prove that the executive decree will work the way he believes it will in these first three months of enforcement. If the crisis persists, then he will have to come up with a rational explanation about why it should be extended.

For the people in the South, what comes next is predictable. As long as Thaksin does not change his attitude or strategy, the crisis will persist, if not worsen, with yet more dead bodies piling up down there. The rest of the country will have to bear with Thaksin’s policies and the continuing search for a solution.

If Thaksin’s war gets much dirtier, it could start to resemble Argentina in the 1970s, with its thousands of disappearances under dictatorial rule by cut-throat military generals.

fact

The difference here is that we have a civilian - a former police officer, to be precise - directing the war, with all powers, unrestrained and commanding a submissive military force.

realistic, fair assessment

-- The Nation (editorial by Sopon Onkgara) 2005-07-31

A more well-written, factual assessment of the debate could not have been written.

So you saw the debate then John?

Actually this piece is an Editorial - editorializing that is heavily biased towards Anand without much factual reporting at all.

I'm not a fan of Thaksin's policies but lets not present this Editorial as objective analysis.

Have I missed something?

:o

Editorials can certainly provide for a "factual assessment"

He is the democratically elected leader here- and would win another landslide tomorrow. 

Free speech in Thailand allows farangs to criticise him. I wonder if non immigrant Asians staying in the UK or USA would have so much tolerance if they did likewise to the governments there

Under the 1997 Constitution, press freedom and freedom of expression is fully guaranteed under articles 39 and 41.

The "Emergency Powers Law," enacted by decree, lets Thaksin, among other things, impose curfews, detain people without charge, close premises, ban public gatherings, intercept telephone conversations, allows total censorship of the media, expel foreigners without cause, conduct searches and arrest without warrants, and confiscate property. One of the most controversial provisions gives military, police and government officials immunity from prosecution.

A concise remark by Thailand’s independent Human Rights Commission:

“Many articles in the emergency decree are not in accordance with the Thai constitution, and it breaches the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights which Thailand ratified in 1996.”

As for Asians in the USA being able to exercise their freedom of speech, an example:

http://www.modelminority.com/index.html

The underlying point is... freedom of speech in Thailand has been suspended.

I agree Thaksin would win again in a landslide... same as Marcos did, who shared the same popular support initially, before later on declaring martial law and repressing the Philippines for 20 years.

Let's hope history does NOT repeat itself in this situation.

A more well-written, factual assessment of the debate could not have been written. Terrific job, Khun Sopon.

Here's hoping you don't turn into one of the missing. Best of luck to you.

Keep up the excellent writing, if you dare.

My sentiments exactly. Just wish there was more of this kind of writing in the Thai-language newspapers so that more of the population could GET A CLUE! :o

I pray for you, brave writer.. :D

Compare the Nation's Editorial of this event to the Bangkok Post coverage of the same event, here:

<http://www.bangkokpost.com/310705_News/31Jul2005_news19.php>

[snip]

PM says mix of methods best

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has reiterated his stance that the government would use a combination of efforts aimed at promoting reconciliation along with law enforcement in its bid to end unrest in the deep South, pointing out that there would be no rifts with the National Reconciliation Commission as it shares the same goals.

The prime minister appeared on television on Thursday night with NRC chairman Anand Panyarachun to explain the enforcement of the emergency decree in Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat by promising to apply peaceful means in favour of the use of state power and force to bring an end to the violence.

In his weekly radio address yesterday, Mr Thaksin said his appearance with Mr Anand had helped to clarify the government's position to the public and signalled to all parties concerned that officials would stick to the principle of reconciliation, while simultaneously enforcing the law in a bid to bring about peace in the South.

Mr Thaksin had held talks with Mr Anand on several occasions and had reached agreement in certain areas, he said. He said there was no need for anyone to fear conflict between the government and the NRC so long as both parties had the people's welfare at heart, he said.

Mr Thaksin said the majority of Thai people backed the emergency decree, but ``negative criticism'' from a minority had caused confusion among the public.

The emergency decree, which allows action whenever the principle of reconciliation is seen to be not working, would be presented to parliament at the start of the new parliamentary session so the opposition or Senate could debate the measure and the government iron out any mistakes.

[/snip]

Apparently the Post didn't see any controversial demagoguery there.

Edited by GoodHeart

The Bangkok Post in Feb. 2004 removed Veera Prateepchaikul as editor in what was widely seen as blatant government interference in one of Thailand’s oldest newspapers.

One of the main reasons Veera was removed as editor of the Bangkok Post was because of a report published earlier that year that "irritated" the Prime Minister by using the word "arrogance" to describe him, Post reporters say.

Another source said the premier had on several occasions expressed his dissatisfaction with Post reports to Government House reporters.

She said that over the past several months, news and other articles critical of the government have been censored almost every day.

--------------------------------

For a more independent point of view, I lean towards The Nation. :o

directing the war, with all powers, unrestrained and commanding a submissive military force.

This is a really dumb remark. The last thing we want is to return to having an arrogant military that dictates to elected governments and overthrows them whenever it wants.

So you saw the debate then John? Did you?

...given you can confirm so many of the observations.

There is free speech on this board. ...and Thailand is a free country, and can vote him out if he abuses his powers.

Yes, I did... sort of figured that was a given as I wouldn't have written "fact" after the observations and assessments by the writer.

I would heartily recommend that Thaksin appear in further debates on any host of other issues. Particularly with articulate speakers such as Anand. If people got to see him compared to others more often, perhaps they would begin to see more of his shortcomings and there would be more hope for Thailand. I hate to see the good people of this country saddled with such a leader.... but as you say, it's their choice.

I just hope that once they do decide to remove him, he goes willingly and doesn't decide to make things get ugly... as has been done repeatedly in the history of the world.

There is free speech on this board. ...and Thailand is a free country, and can vote him out if he abuses his powers.

Yes, I did... sort of figured that was a given as I wouldn't have written "fact" after the observations and assessments by the writer.

I would heartily recommend that Thaksin appear in further debates on any host of other issues. Particularly with articulate speakers such as Anand. If people got to see him compared to others more often, perhaps they would begin to see more of his shortcomings and there would be more hope for Thailand. I hate to see the good people of this country saddled with such a leader.... but as you say, it's their choice.

I just hope that once they do decide to remove him, he goes willingly and doesn't decide to make things get ugly... as has been done repeatedly in the history of the world.

How come no one feels sorry for Americans being "saddled" with The Great Texas A$$hole. :o

How come no one feels sorry for Americans being "saddled" with The Great Texas A$$hole. :o

I do, but as mentioned before... it was the voters who made their choice there as well...

sure is a lot to be "sad" about with all these places being "saddled".. :D

I do, but as mentioned before... it was the voters who made their choice there as well...

sure is a lot to be "sad" about with all these places being "saddled".. :D

There has been some questions rised about if we really voted him in. His brother rigged it, I am sure. We got enough with the first Bush. :D

don't get me wrong i am a die-hard liberal and my family has known khun anand personally for a long time. he is a great thinker and diplomat, honest and fair minded, and a wonderful person to meet and if you have the honour, he will regale you with wonderful tales about other great statesmen past and present and quote you oscar wilde with his clipped oxford accent. for those of you who are unaware, khun anand was recently chair of the UN commission picked by Kofi Anan to rethink and give recommendations on the role of the United Nations going forward. khun anand is no lightweigt in anybody's books, mine especially.

however, inspite of my pro-democrat leanings (and it pains me greatly to have to come out and say this), i am sick and tired of all this thaksin bashing and general whinging from all you armchair politicians out there. thaksin may be far from perfect, but he is the elected PM whose leadership played an important role of bringing thailand out of the crisis. these are difficult times, and if you were faced with so many problems, the last thing you deserve are people (most of all foreigners living here as guests) picking at you while you are trying your best to solve the problems. thaksin is never going to be the fascist dictator you make him out to be. this is not indonesia or the philippines, there are just too many entrenched powers in thai society to ensure that he will never rule absolutely. if you think about the social history of these countries you will appreciate what i am saying.

don't believe everything you read in the papers, even if it is not government influenced, these are influenced by people whose agenda IS to undermine the government's efforts for their own political gains, there is no such thing as free press, and no political party is really that clean. these so called social democrats are pissing me off with their selfish political posturing, and formenting displeasure amongst the masses at a time when we need unity. people are dying daily in the south. we should keep politics out of this and support the PM while he does his job.

Anand should be PM, you only have to look at the pics of them in the BK Post to know which one has more depth and feeling, and which of them likes Thais before themselves.

Thaksin is loosing credibility by the hour

IMHO he should accept his failure on many fronts and run away with his fortune, problem is he is on a POWER trip, sooner he calls it a day the better.

NOBODY LIKES HIM anymore accept the Real Madrid squad, but they would have signed anybodys shirt!

Anand should be PM, you only have to look at the pics of them in the BK Post to know which one has more depth and feeling, and which of them likes Thais before themselves

Well then Anand should stand for an Election if he feels like you do. He was already PM, so he has licked that lolly.

But unfortunately, for you, Thaksin did stand for election. He got voted in twice, the second time with a bigger majority than the first. Thais like him for being tough on drug peddlers and they don't give a monkeys uncle about mollycoddling Southern fanatics.

So ....unfortunately, Thais DO like him, in spite of your asinine sweeping statement that nobody does.

Since when has photos in a newspaper been a better proxy for choosing a political leader than democracy.

Who would America choose under that arbitrary criteria....Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, or some other movie star.....Ronald Reag........

...oh forget it !

Edited by The_Moog

thaksin is never going to be the fascist dictator you make him out to be.  this is not indonesia or the philippines, there are just too many entrenched powers in thai society to ensure that he will never rule absolutely.

I wish I shared your optimism on that, but I don't. As Thaksin has been the innovator of so many other new-ish schemes, I could easily picture him taking on fascist dictator as just a new way to "help" Thailand resolve its problems. I don't have the same faith in the "entrenched powers" that you have. I can see them dissipating readily in the face of a Thaksin onslaught.

don't believe everything you read in the papers, even if it is not government influenced, these are influenced by people whose agenda IS to undermine the government's efforts for their own political gains, there is no such thing as free press, and no political party is really that clean. 

I'm not so naive as to believe that the Democrats are the ultimate answer. They've been around longer than any other party and have their own litany of abuses and corruption, BUT Thaksin has managed to take those to new unbelievable levels. Certainly the newspaper (singular form as The Nation is really the only one left to brazenly go after Thaksin) has their own agenda and will spotlight all of Thaksin's faults, BUT it's the only way to balance his lopsided control of the media. Additionally, it's Thaksin himself who so often blunders and creates his own problems when they are brought to the public's attention.

these so called social democrats are pissing me off with their selfish political posturing, and formenting displeasure amongst the masses at a time when we need unity.  people are dying daily in the south.  we should keep politics out of this and support the PM while he does his job.

An excellent point, but just what IS "his job" there? Is it to truly resolve the many issues there or simply to militarily suppress it? If it's the former, then why not allow Annand and his commission work on it as he was appointed to... and if it's the latter, then I expect to see a convoy of military trucks to make their way down there as it seems to be an effective method of dispatching dissent ala Tak Bai massacre.

thaksin may be far from perfect, but he is the elected PM whose leadership played an important role of bringing thailand out of the crisis.

If this is the 1997 financial crisis you are referring to, Thailand was in most respects out of that crisis when Thaksin took over, thanks to Chuan.

But who was in charge when the crisis happened???? TRT may be a new party, but it is largely consisting of the very same players that brought Thailand to its knees in '97.

Deja Vu?