Places To Get Some Work Done - W/ A Laptop

john_bkk919

Looking for some place where I can sit down and go over some papers for an hour or so with a coffee, a bit of food, whatever, and not have this be an issue or a procedure. Not looking to hang out all day or cyber squat.

Requirements:

-- car parking somewhere in the vicinity, don't mind a walk but if it's a hassle leaving the car, no

-- doesn't have to be aircon, but a rough table curbside of a busy street isn't going to do it either

-- noise: not a big fan of it, but reasonable levels OK

-- wiFi: don't care

The idea is to find a place that's pleasant to be in semi-regularly and not just tolerable as a one off or a meeting point.

Suggestions?

Edited by john_bkk919

Wawee Coffee at Punna on Nimman road, or any of Starbucks, Wawee, 94 coffee at nimman soi 9. All have air con, all don't mind you sitting there for hours. The one at Punna has a bakery and lots of parking, punna residence is the soi opposite soi 9 on nimmanheminda road (soi 10? not sure).

There's lots of other wawee and starbucks branches all over chiang mai, any of them will work. lots of little student cafes on nimmanhemin road too. happy hut for example.

Wawee Coffee at Punna on Nimman road, or any of Starbucks, Wawee, 94 coffee at nimman soi 9. All have air con, all don't mind you sitting there for hours. The one at Punna has a bakery and lots of parking, punna residence is the soi opposite soi 9 on nimmanheminda road (soi 10? not sure).

There's lots of other wawee and starbucks branches all over chiang mai, any of them will work. lots of little student cafes on nimmanhemin road too. happy hut for example.

Try Bugs Coffee on the Canal Road, right hand side going out of town just before the turning to Samoeng. Nice coffee and cakes and nice staff.

Not requiring WiFi (free or otherwise) makes this super easy.. Any aircon restaurant will do in that case.

It becomes more of a debate when you also require free WiFi. (Wawi and Starbucks for example do have WiFi, but not at a reasonable price.)

There are many places as the Kiwi mentioned will fit your criteria, normally quiet and welcoming at times bordering regular meal times. What area of CM are you looking for?

Butter is Better located at 183/8-9 Chang Klan Rd. - just south of the Night Bizarre on the same side of the street. Not ony WiFi, but the best bakery in town. Plenty of parking for 20 baht, which is refunded by the bakery when you make a purchase, which I challenge anyone to be able to resist.

Butter is Better located at 183/8-9 Chang Klan Rd. - just south of the Night Bizarre on the same side of the street. Not ony WiFi, but the best bakery in town. Plenty of parking for 20 baht, which is refunded by the bakery when you make a purchase, which I challenge anyone to be able to resist.

To many foodies from this forum yaking to get any serious work done.:lol:

Thapea Gate Macca- is pretty good... coffee every couple of hours is a good deal....wifi, yet sounds like you have Mobile internet.

Brix (Montri) at Thapae gate has a biz area- I have never been thrown out even spending hours there and spending nothing- yet I usually feel guilty and grab a breaky or lunch. Meeting people their for biz or sort of biz is great also. Been meeting people there for near a decade now.

Other side of town- many cafe's in Central.

I cannot do my work without Air Con- I am fussy that way- dripping sweat all over my computer as I trying to place trades is not my thing- Lol.

Anyway sounds like you can rough it a bit more- side street cafe or food outlets are a bit busy for my liking.

Then you have the Libraries- CMU, Payap, etc. Payment required for membership.

:jap:

A big thanks to everyone. I learned something from each of you.

I live near Buggs Coffee. I'll check it out. I thought there was another place stuck in one of the moo baans over there. What about La De Ka on canal, is that a coffee shop?

When I'm out I work on things that don't require a connection and maybe benefit from the lack of one.

Starbucks - I only know the Central and Night Bazaar branches. NB branch seating is at a premium and both are quite busy. Recently I've been over to Central and had difficulty finding a seat or people being a bit too shouty and spazzy in there, even mid-day. My experiences at the various Wawees have been similar. They're fine for what they are, but they just don't seem to work for me that well.

Maybe I'll go up to the food court and sip Pepsi snow cones but spending time in places like that does my head in.

I guess I should give Nim more of a try but I cycle around there and haven't seen anything that would work.

Restaurants are good if the staff understand this kind of customer. I'll give the Red Lion a look. I didn't know about parking up the street at the Chinese school.

Butter is Better? I'll check it out sometime for the bakery.

jayinoz - thanks for the info on the Montri. Now I just need to figure out parking unless at the hotel.

Aircon. Some places were built with the climate in mind, though most weren't. Shade, fans, plants, it's not so bad - in the current season, and not on the road. But aircon is almost always better for this, you're right. Montri sounding better and better! :)

CMU library I've been to a few times. It's pretty good if you want to read an entire book or bust out some serious work. No food or drinks though. Is Payap better? CMU I just wandered in and left my driver's license at security. Sometimes I have to park up by Ang Kaew which is a bit of a hike.

A big thanks to everyone. I learned something from each of you.

I live near Buggs Coffee. I'll check it out. I thought there was another place stuck in one of the moo baans over there. What about La De Ka on canal, is that a coffee shop?

When I'm out I work on things that don't require a connection and maybe benefit from the lack of one.

Starbucks - I only know the Central and Night Bazaar branches. NB branch seating is at a premium and both are quite busy. Recently I've been over to Central and had difficulty finding a seat or people being a bit too shouty and spazzy in there, even mid-day. My experiences at the various Wawees have been similar. They're fine for what they are, but they just don't seem to work for me that well.

Maybe I'll go up to the food court and sip Pepsi snow cones but spending time in places like that does my head in.

I guess I should give Nim more of a try but I cycle around there and haven't seen anything that would work.

Restaurants are good if the staff understand this kind of customer. I'll give the Red Lion a look. I didn't know about parking up the street at the Chinese school.

Butter is Better? I'll check it out sometime for the bakery.

jayinoz - thanks for the info on the Montri. Now I just need to figure out parking unless at the hotel.

Aircon. Some places were built with the climate in mind, though most weren't. Shade, fans, plants, it's not so bad - in the current season, and not on the road. But aircon is almost always better for this, you're right. Montri sounding better and better! :)

CMU library I've been to a few times. It's pretty good if you want to read an entire book or bust out some serious work. No food or drinks though. Is Payap better? CMU I just wandered in and left my driver's license at security. Sometimes I have to park up by Ang Kaew which is a bit of a hike.

Looking for a quiet coffee shop setting, the one located at the Dk Bookstore area is the best that I found. There is plenty of parking, and the atmosphere of this coffee shop encourages reading, board game playing, or laptop usage. Its entrance is located on the road outside the mote on the east side just south of Loi Khro.

Try Bakerista in Santitham www.kadlanna.com/bakerista

Relatively quiet compared with Nimanhemin places, has both aircon and outdoor garden areas and large tables if you want to spread out. Easiest to reach from the superhighway, take the road down the side of the Grand View Hotel and follow the signs.